Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Oops, sorry about the double-post.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    *bump*

Song of the day: "Puttin' Down" from the University of Utah, Salt Lake City '02. (private show for the Canadian Olympic team)

http//www.thehip.com
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Wow, it's really quiet in here. Am I the only one still posting in this thread?? Today's song of the day at thehip.com: Boots or Hearts from the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, '04.

Still no word on a release date for the new album, and I'm getting impatient!

-Tom Waits
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Wow, it's really quiet in here. Am I the only one still posting in this thread?? Today's song of the day at thehip.com: Boots or Hearts from the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, '04.

Still no word on a release date for the new album, and I'm getting impatient!

sorry, I was busy dusting off my hip cassette boots...and threading them into a reel to reel player while I light a candle in front of my vigil alter for the menry of St. Rory Young...(aka wphipfan.com)

Now..You were saying?..

:)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Gallant88Gallant88 Posts: 58
    I saw them live in September, and to be honest, I really like the Hip's studio shit.. but I wasn't impressed with their performance.
    September 22, 2005 - Halifax.. ahhh
    Gallant88 wrote:
    I saw them live in September, and to be honest, I really like the Hip's studio shit.. but I wasn't impressed with their performance.

Then you are the only one on the planet..!
    :)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • yes, hide your head in shame gallant...talking that way! :D blasphemy!
    Gallant88 wrote:

Blasphemy! I've seen them live 23 times over the years (yes, I'm obsessed), and they've never failed to kick my ass.

-Tom Waits
    New show announced! House of Blues, Chicago, July 3rd. Check it out:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003C68F2D42E58?artistid=736328&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    aww i was hoping for a maritime gig, but anyways...

did i read that correctly ? $28 & at the house of blues?

WOW
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    aww i was hoping for a maritime gig, but anyways...

did i read that correctly ? $28 & at the house of blues?

WOW

Nothing surprising there. I paid the same amount to see them in Spokane in '04.

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    New show announced! House of Blues, Chicago, July 3rd. Check it out:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003C68F2D42E58?artistid=736328&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

i wonder why they aren't sending out advance emails...i joined the new fan club but haven't heard anything about this show :(
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I haven't been here forever....and I'm not really surprised this thread is alive though! Awesome guys! :D I am really dying out for album news...I hope it's soon.

Well it looks like Ontarians got another Hip gig...it's going to be in Guelph!

THE TRAGICALLY HIP
    With special guests
    THE WEAKERTHANS
    SUNDAY, JUNE 18th
    Grand River Conservation Authority, GRCA
    TICKETS ON SALE: FRIDAY, MARCH 31st AT 10AM (public onsale)

*Tickets (INCL. GST): $49.50*Plus applicable service charges
    General Admission
    All Ages
    Show Goes On Rain Or Shine

TICKETS ON SALE:
    FRIDAY, MARCH 31st AT 10AM Tickets Available At All Ticketmaster
    Outlets, Cash Only @ University Centre Room 266 University Of Guelph
    (weekdays 8:30am * 4:45pm), Cash Or Debit Only @ The Beat Goes On,
    Guelph. Or Call (519) 763-9277 To Charge By Phone. Order On Line At
    http://www.ticketmaster.ca Or http://www.hob.ca.

http://www.thehip.com/
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • yeah, direwolf is the man for hooking us up with news and song posts and keeping the hip love going!

i've been on road apples recently...anxiously awaiting news aboot the new album...
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    how far is guelph from toronto
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    BOSTON-born, BOSTON-raised, never-been-to-Canada, stuck in BOSTON gridlock commute this morning ..and

...CRANKING "50 MISSION CAP"!...understanding every aspect of this mighty Hip anthem..

anyone else see the irony???

we don't even have a "prime minister" down here but "Wheat Kings"..
    good lord, is that one of the most amazing ballads of all time or what???

Keeping Boston deeply imbedded in the Hipbase..
    All my best.

Locked..in the lower 48..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    This must be the longest running thread in the history of the Message Pit. Threads come and go so quickly around here, I'm glad this one continues to have life. As you all have noticed, the tour dates have started to pour in, and I assume as we get closer to the release of the new album, a full tour will be announced. Judging by past tours, here's what I predict their schedule will look like once it's all out there:

May/June- Canada/U.S.A.
    July- Europe
    August/Sept/Oct- U.S.A. (including the wonderful city of Boston for our good friend Locked)
    Nov/Dec- Canadian winter tour

Now all we need is some news on the album, and my summer will be complete! You know it's gonna be a good year for new music when both the Hip and Pearl Jam release new albums and tour in the same year. What a beautiful world we live in! Speaking of touring, anybody here going to the Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge during May long weekend? I've already got my tickets. Some friends and I are driving down from Calgary for the Saturday show:

Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals, The Flaming Lips, The Shins, The Tragically Hip, Neko Case, Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Gomez, Rogue Wave
    Sam Roberts, Constantines, Architecture In Helsinki, Bedouin Soundclash, Band of Horses, Matt Costa, Tim Seely, Korby Lenker, Common Market, Slender Means, David Ford, more artists to be announced.

Should be a great day of music!

-Tom Waits
    Holy shit ...am I gonna be broke this year!!

Its all good though..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • oh...the hip winter tour in canada! awesome! :)
  • corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    hodge wrote:
    how far is guelph from toronto

Guelph is about 40min to an hour away from Toronto depending on speed/traffic.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    BTW, for a quick heads up.

I was able to score Friday night tickets to the Fort York show at ticketmaster.ca just now. I missed it when they went on sale, and there have been none available for weeks. If you were thinking about going, grab them soon.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
    anyone hear any rumours or have any thoughts about possible live bootleg downloads for the 2006 tour?

(I'm suggesting every show liike Pearl Jam does...),

I'm thinking with all this new website / fanclub roll out..
    they MUST be getting ready for some expanded download access..

Thoughts / advice fellow Hipsters??
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    anyone hear any rumours or have any thoughts about possible live bootleg downloads for the 2006 tour?

(I'm suggesting every show liike Pearl Jam does...),

I'm thinking with all this new website / fanclub roll out..
    they MUST be getting ready for some expanded download access..

Thoughts / advice fellow Hipsters??

Their webmaster says they'll be doing some pretty cool stuff once the new fanclub is rolled out, but he hasn't told us what those things are going to be yet. I think he just wants to surprise us. During the '04 tour they released 3 shows for download, which you can get here:

http://www.livedownloads.com/tthip/

(I highly recommend the Ottawa and London shows)

I wouldn't be surprised if they do more of the same for the '06 tour, but on a larger scale. Maybe not on the scale that PJ does, but something similar.

-Tom Waits
    *bump*

Gotta keep this thread alive! Song of the day: "Inevitability of Death" from the Orbit Room in Grand Rapids, MI, 10/30/04. Check it out:

http://www.thehip.com/

-Tom Waits
    Good evening, Hip fans! Today's song of the day:

"Locked in the Trunk of a Car" from Cobo Arena, Detroit '96 (Live Between Us outtake)

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Good evening, Hip fans! Today's song of the day:

"Locked in the Trunk of a Car" from Cobo Arena, Detroit '96 (Live Between Us outtake)

wooo friggin hoo!
    Their singing my song!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Today's Song: Flamenco: Theatre Of The Living Arts: Philadelphia, PA: 05/30/96

woo i love flamenco
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    hodge wrote:
    Today's Song: Flamenco: Theatre Of The Living Arts: Philadelphia, PA: 05/30/96

woo i love flamenco

great tune, heard it live on that same tour few months down the road in Saint John

"walk like a matador, dont be chicken-shit..."
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    great tune, heard it live on that same tour few months down the road in Saint John

"walk like a matador, dont be chicken-shit..."

I love that line. My other favorite is:

"Maybe a prostitute could teach you how to take a compliment."

-Tom Waits
    Song of the day: "Last of the Unplucked Gems" from the Metro Centre, Halifax, '95. One of those rare tunes that will hopefully make it back into the set for the '06 tour. I miss this song!

-Tom Waits