Your smile is fading a bit so I ration it
    Don't think about it
    Here where the Mississippi quits
    Where its still got a bit of Minnesota in it

No one will give you a thing these days
    They'd rather kill it or throw it away
    You don't 'do' dark American streets so
    If New Orleans is beat
    If New Orleans is beat (New Orleans is beat)
    Where's that leave you and me? (Where's that leave you and me)

The river takes takes takes and takes
    It doesn't change and only changes
    See it there in a picture with me
    There's a caption beneath
    "New Orleans is beat"
    and if New Orleans is beat
    If New Orleans is beat
    Where's that leave you and me?

Your smile is fading a bit so I ration it
    Try not to think about it...

http://www.hipmuseum.com/newob.html

what a great song...

One of the most beautiful songs they've ever written, which of course has now taken on a whole new emotional dimension after the Katrina disaster. As any Hip fan knows, the boys are involved with dozens of different charity organizations, including the Canadian Red Cross. Gord Downie posted this message on their website a couple months after the disaster in Louisiana:

"Recently I sat down with a friend of mine, author of Three Day Road and New Orleans resident, Joseph Boyden. to talk about New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Joseph spoke of his experiences in New Orleans and the devastation he observed. He brought particular attention to the Native American Tribes living in some of the lowest lying areas around New Orleans; the Houma and Choctaw Nations. Here is the recording of that conversation. And the Podcast Feed:

http://www.thehip.com/Podcasts/InPraiseofNewOrleans.mp3

We'd like to bring attention to those in need and ask you to continue a campaign of awareness and compassion for those people affected by this and other tragedies throughout the world. TTH would like you to make a donation to your local Red Cross. Please, with our compliments, listen to, enjoy, share and distribute this PodCast of "If New Orleans Is Beat" and, Thank you.

GD"
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump*

Don't mind me. Just doin' my part to keep this thread alive. Long live Das Hips!

"No dress rehearsal. This is our life."
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • ...was just listening to that earlier in the evening direwolf...:)
    Song of the day:

New Orleans is Sinking (w/ Put it Off), 10/25/95 from Madison Square Garden. If I remember correctly, they were opening for Page & Plant on this tour.

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
    By the way, check out this photo from last summer's Live 8 gig in Barrie, ON. It doesn't get more Canadian than this:

http://gallery.phillyburbs.com/photos/216/60.aspx

-Tom Waits
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Song of the day:

New Orleans is Sinking, 10/25/95 from Madison Square Garden. If I remember correctly, they were opening for Page & Plant on this tour.

correct..

One of the best nights of my life as a Hip and Led Zep fan was getting to see the HIP open for Page and Plant at the new Boston garden on 10/23/95..

from a luxury box no less...

one of the few fans at that show with a HIP shirt on (instead of a LZ shirt)
    I can tell you...!

They did a great version of Hiccups/ daredevil that night too..

HEY, where the f*ck are US tour dates for the HIP???

I need to round out my summer tour plans..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    correct..

One of the best nights of my life as a Hip and Led Zep fan was getting to see the HIP open for Page and Plant at the new Boston garden on 10/23/95..

from a luxury box no less...

one of the few fans at that show with a HIP shirt on (instead of a LZ shirt)
    I can tell you...!

They did a great version of Hiccups/ daredevil that night too..

HEY, where the f*ck are US tour dates for the HIP???

I need to round out my summer tour plans..

Tour dates so far:

May 27- Sasquatch Festival, The Gorge
    June 17- WNED Guitar Festival, Buffalo, NY
    June 23/24- Fort York, Toronto, ON

After that they're in Europe for a couple of weeks, but I guarantee that once they announce the release date of the new album, the U.S./Canadian tour dates will come flowing in. The Hip usually spend a good chunk of their touring schedule in the States. They were down there for 2 months for the In Between Evolution tour.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Tour dates so far:

May 27- Sasquatch Festival, The Gorge
    June 17- WNED Guitar Festival, Buffalo, NY
    June 23/24- Fort York, Toronto, ON

After that they're in Europe for a couple of weeks, but I guarantee that once they announce the release date of the new album, the U.S./Canadian tour dates will come flowing in. The Hip usually spend a good chunk of their touring schedule in the States. They were down there for 2 months for the In Between Evolution tour.

DW..
    Thanks for the update and I know you meant no offense...
    but I KNOW how the Hip operate their US tours..
    I'm also "Locked" on the Hipbase website and here are my show stats...
    (pumps chest out with pride)

8/6/94 Middle East, Boston
    11/10/94 Orpheum, Boston
    4/21/95 Somerville theater
    10/23/95 Fleet Center, Boston
    5/17/96 Avalon, Boston
    10/4/96 Avalon, Boston
    8/11/98 Bill's Bar, Boston
    12/5/98 Orpheum, Boston
    6/29/00 Somerville theater
    6/30/00 Somerville theater
    7/27/02 Somerville theater
    7/28/02 Somerville theater
    9/21/04 Avalon, Boston

I friggin live and breath PJ and the HIP...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    By the way, check out this photo from last summer's Live 8 gig in Barrie, ON. It doesn't get more Canadian than this:

http://gallery.phillyburbs.com/photos/216/60.aspx

that is sweet!
  • that is sweet!

Yep. That pretty much sums up Canadian rock royalty for me right there.
    a little pandering here..

anyone interested in extending a trade for some live HIP CDR boots..

I have tons of A++ live PJ and non-HIP stuff but have crap when it comes to converting my old Hip boot cassettes to CDR..(I have the Official Hip bootleg downloads)..

seems you canucks have taken to Bit torrent downloads and don't take kindly on CDR trades too often..

BUT I cannot do Bit torrents and please do not try to convert me..!
    (I almost crashed my whole computer the last time I tried..)

If you're feeling generous, please send me a PM with your email
    and I can send you my trade list..

I guarentee that I have something on my list you'll find worthy of a Hip trade..

Did I mention I have re-mastered CD versions of those HIP 1998 Bill's Bar soundboards (8/10/98 and 8/12/98 Boston, Ma )... They play at the correct speed with the remastered versions and not painfully slow like the bit torrents versions out there..

The difference is phenominal...

(crossing my fingers)
    Thanks in advance ,
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:

7/27/02 Somerville theater
    7/28/02 Somerville theater

Those two shows were freakin' AMAZING! My buddy and I drove down from Ottawa for those gigs, and they ended up being probably two of the best Hip shows I've ever witnessed. It was my first time in Boston and I loved every minute of it. What a great city, and with so much character! We stayed at a hostel near downtown and spent hours wandering around checking out the city for the three days we were there. Fenway Park is quite a sight. So much great history there.

-Tom Waits
    *bump*

Long live the Hip!

-Tom Waits
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    direwolf74 wrote:
    One of the most beautiful songs they've ever written, which of course has now taken on a whole new emotional dimension after the Katrina disaster. As any Hip fan knows, the boys are involved with dozens of different charity organizations, including the Canadian Red Cross. Gord Downie posted this message on their website a couple months after the disaster in Louisiana:

"Recently I sat down with a friend of mine, author of Three Day Road and New Orleans resident, Joseph Boyden. to talk about New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Joseph spoke of his experiences in New Orleans and the devastation he observed. He brought particular attention to the Native American Tribes living in some of the lowest lying areas around New Orleans; the Houma and Choctaw Nations. Here is the recording of that conversation. And the Podcast Feed:

http://www.thehip.com/Podcasts/InPraiseofNewOrleans.mp3

We'd like to bring attention to those in need and ask you to continue a campaign of awareness and compassion for those people affected by this and other tragedies throughout the world. TTH would like you to make a donation to your local Red Cross. Please, with our compliments, listen to, enjoy, share and distribute this PodCast of "If New Orleans Is Beat" and, Thank you.

GD"

I was just listening to the podcast feed....and I got a li'l teary eyed. It's the first time I heard it. Thanks again direwolf..that was very informative. And I agree with Joseph, there weren't any awareness made about the Houma and Choctaw Nations at all. I find that very sad, because there was so much focus elsewhere. Once again, thanks. I'm glad to have finally listened to this.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    For everybody....for keeping this HIP thread alive and kickin' as always! HIP HIP HIP! :D

We're not hobbyists or dabblers anymore
    We're hardcore, hardcore, we're hardcore
    There's a kid on the street, one up in bed
    One on the hip, and one on the floor
    We might be one again, but not like before
    We're hardcore, hardcore, we're hardcore!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • tragically hip are the best band that no one has ever heard of...as far as their best cd...day for night is just bone chilling from start to finish...i am the biggest pearl jam fan that i can be but i honestly believe that gordie downie's stage presence is unmatched...eddie is a close second
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
    tragically hip are the best band that no one has ever heard of...as far as their best cd...day for night is just bone chilling from start to finish...i am the biggest pearl jam fan that i can be but i honestly believe that gordie downie's stage presence is unmatched...eddie is a close second

Yup. Gordie is truly one of a kind. He's like a mental patient who's been let loose for a couple of hours. His rants are absolutely classic, and ya gotta love it when he argues with his mic stand. For the ultimate list of classic Gord Downie quotes, go here:

http://killerwhaletank.com/rory/ConcertList.htm

"Last time we were here, it rained like shit. I mean not like the rain was brown, but that it rained a lot, like say you had pizza the night before. How many of you were there? Well, bless your hearts. I remember that very well, and I was going to send you all thank-you notes, but you know how it is. A guy gets busy on the road."

-Gord Downie, Saskatoon '91

-Tom Waits
    locked wrote:
    a little pandering here..

anyone interested in extending a trade for some live HIP CDR boots..

I have tons of A++ live PJ and non-HIP stuff but have crap when it comes to converting my old Hip boot cassettes to CDR..(I have the Official Hip bootleg downloads)..

seems you canucks have taken to Bit torrent downloads and don't take kindly on CDR trades too often..

BUT I cannot do Bit torrents and please do not try to convert me..!
    (I almost crashed my whole computer the last time I tried..)

If you're feeling generous, please send me a PM with your email
    and I can send you my trade list..

I guarentee that I have something on my list you'll find worthy of a Hip trade..

Did I mention I have re-mastered CD versions of those HIP 1998 Bill's Bar soundboards (8/10/98 and 8/12/98 Boston, Ma )... They play at the correct speed with the remastered versions and not painfully slow like the bit torrents versions out there..

The difference is phenominal...

(crossing my fingers)
    Thanks in advance ,

This is just as bad as is worse!
    Oh, love is a curse...

No trade offers..geez,???

like only three Hip traders I know have these remasters.. not to mention the many A++ Rush soundboards I have..

(pander, pander)

"saw the twisted wreckage of the Old Garh-den...Twist my arm!... construction worker reluctantly enters the worksite... I can"t do it!"
    GD "Twist My arm" 8/10/98 Bill's Bar

I guess I'm used to the enthusiasm and generosity of PJ fans but I forgot I'm dealing with you Canadian Hip fans ...
    my mistake..
    (one day maybe..? sniff)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:
    This is just as bad as is worse!
    Oh, love is a curse...

No trade offers..geez,???

like only three Hip traders I know have these remasters.. not to mention the many A++ Rush soundboards I have..

(pander, pander)

"saw the twisted wreckage of the Old Garh-den...Twist my arm!... construction worker reluctantly enters the worksite... I can"t do it!"
    GD "Twist My arm" 8/10/98 Bill's Bar

I guess I'm used to the enthusiasm and generosity of PJ fans but I forgot I'm dealing with you Canadian Hip fans ...
    my mistake..
    (one day maybe..? sniff)

I have dozens of Hip bootlegs and I'd love to help you out. The only problem is that I'm still living in the dark ages without a CD burner. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

By the way, you should all check out today's song of the day: "At the Hundredth Meridian" from the Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton, 1996. One of the best versions I've ever heard. It's gotta be at least 10 minutes long with plenty of rants from Gord. Great stuff!

-Tom Waits
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Just listening to Long Time Running

This song makes me want to wrap my arms around someone and slow dance....

Such a beautiful melody... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
    Just listening to Long Time Running

Aww, a girl after my own heart. I've slow danced to this song on numerous occasions. It's one of my personal faves. My American friends used to ask me what "drop a caribou" meant. I told them to look at a Canadian quarter and you'll figure it out. Drop a caribou - make a phone call. Get it? Get it? I freakin' love this band.

"You've got a boat load of nerve
    But I would say you've been told.
    If you work me against my friends,
    you'll be left out in the cold."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Aww, a girl after my own heart. I've slow danced to this song on numerous occasions. It's one of my personal faves. My American friends used to ask me what "drop a caribou" meant. I told them to look at a Canadian quarter and you'll figure it out. Drop a caribou - make a phone call. Get it? Get it? I freakin' love this band.

"You've got a boat load of nerve
    But I would say you've been told.
    If you work me against my friends,
    you'll be left out in the cold."

as you know, I have been a fan since 1994, having never visited Canada (would LOVE to) and, until this post , did not know what "drop a caribou" meant....

direwolf74... That's wicked awesome!
    New found understanding for LTR!..

Thanks from Boston...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Title says it all....

enough of this 'song of the day" tease..
    c'mon already!
    My boot cassettes are gonna snap from old age and then I'll really be F*cked up!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    locked wrote:
    as you know, I have been a fan since 1994, having never visited Canada (would LOVE to) and, until this post , did not know what "drop a caribou" meant....

direwolf74... That's wicked awesome!
    New found understanding for LTR!..

Thanks from Boston...

lol! don't feel bad! I've lived in Canada my whole life, and only now realized what that meant as well!! :D

thanks direwolf! that's funny...
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • hopefully the hip will be coming to atlanta sometime....i'm from buffalo so i was used to the major arena venues, but they play at the roxy theatre in atlanta...it is about the size of an elementary gymnasium, i've waited longer in line at the dmv...we just walk right up to the stage, you can even go get a beer during the show and go right back to your spot up front...it is just great...you get obviously a great look at gordie's facial expressions, which are hilarious, but also his stories are much more clearer. i will see them anytime the come in a 200 mile radius,15 times since 1995, they made up my mind on whether or not to go to woodstock 99...i was the one who screamed "let's go sabres" at the end of the typical "leafs leafs leafs" chants that happen at every show.i was so close i think the band heard me.just wanted to brag, its good every so often...i feel better...thank you
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Just listening to Long Time Running

always seems like it takes me back in time...like a song from another era, great hip tune! :)
    always seems like it takes me back in time...like a song from another era

I find a lot of their older stuff is like that. They've evolved so much as a band since then, and the newer material sounds very different from the early albums. It's kind of like when I go back and listen to "Ten" and I think to myself: I know this is Pearl Jam, but it doesn't sound that much like Pearl Jam.

Getting back to the Hip, is it just me, or do the older songs sound BETTER when they play them now? These days whenever the band busts out songs like Long Time Running, Blow at High Dough or Little Bones, they sound stronger, punchier, and more powerful than they did in the early days. Their version of Blow at High Dough from the "Night in Toronto" DVD totally kicks my ass. I love the part where you think the song is over, and then Johnny suddenly leads the band back into the chorus again, and the crowd goes absolutely bananas. I love it.

-Tom Waits
    time to talk about the 300 lb elephant in the room...

Gord's voice in the 2004-2005 tour..

its not the same...not even close..

should we be worried?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    locked wrote:

should we be worried?

His voice has definitely changed over the years, but I'm certainly not worried about it. I like the way his voice has developed and he's shown that he has a lot more range these days, especially on the IVL album, which I think is his best ever vocal performance on a record (just listen to "Leave", "A Beautiful Thing" and "The Dire Wolf"). I have a few bootlegs where his voice sounds a little rough, but every Hip show I've been to he sounded terrific, so I have nothing to complain about. Like most rock singers, he has nights where he's off, and nights where he's on. That's rock n' roll, baby.

-Tom Waits
    locked wrote:

should we be worried?

His voice has definitely changed over the years, but I'm certainly not worried about it. I like the way his voice has developed and he's shown that he has a lot more range these days, especially on the In Violet Light album, which I think is his best ever vocal performance on a record (just listen to "Leave", "A Beautiful Thing" and "The Dire Wolf"). I have a few bootlegs where his voice sounds a little rough, but every Hip show I've been to he sounded terrific, so I have nothing to complain about. Like most rock singers, he has nights where he's off, and nights where he's on. That's rock n' roll, baby.

-Tom Waits