Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Gemma!!
    Yes I bought 3 of their albums.
    The ones from 1989, 1992 and 1994.
    I like the '94 one the best. I forget the name of it.
    But I don't really like the other 2

Day for Night is the album you're thinking of, and it's a masterpiece. I also highly recommend checking out Phantom Power, Road Apples, and In Between Evolution. Along with Day for Night, those are definitely my favorites. I can't wait to hear the new one! From what I've heard, the band really hit it off with Bob Rock and they're very happy with the results. No news on a release date yet, but the rumor is that it'll be out by late spring/early summer.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    [And if The Hip open up their back catalogue for purchase downloads they way PJ is... let's just say it woudn't be a pretty sight when my Visa bill showed up![/quote]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stay Hip (and outta bankrupcy) Chris!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    get ry cooder to sing my eulogy...
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    I remember..
    I remember Buffalo..(PULL!)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I remember Buffalo, I remember Hengelo!!!

Hehe...most likely a shoe throwing incident in Buffalo. And getting lost... getting drunk on the way to Hengelo. I would really love to hear the Hengelo bootleg now...:D

http://www.hipmuseum.com/100.html

And Ry Cooder should jam with the band!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    Song of the day- "Opiated" from the Metro Centre, Halifax '95:

http://www.thehip.com
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    I remember..
    I remember Buffalo..(PULL!)

i'm laughing out loud here locked! :D thanks, i needed that one - hilarious!...fuck i'm in the mood to see the hip! and your post makes me want to see them more....
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    mariposa wrote:
    I remember Buffalo, I remember Hengelo!!!

Hehe...most likely a shoe throwing incident in Buffalo. And getting lost... getting drunk on the way to Hengelo. I would really love to hear the Hengelo bootleg now...:D

http://www.hipmuseum.com/100.html

And Ry Cooder should jam with the band!

You said; I remember Hengelo!!! What is that about?

In Holland there's a small town called Hengelo, but I doubt The T.H. played there. Did they?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

bad ass! thanks direwolf! this was a great show. the first time i heard them do fire in the hole...my friends and i were losing it!...could have been the mushrooms and pot too, though...:)

i think this was the one where gord did his tap dance for the ending of little bones...near the middle to end of the tune...the band slowed it down to a jig...gord turned the mike stand upside down toward his feet, and started tap dancing, and the spotlight came in on him alone then gradually disappeared. the crowd started losing it as the place was in darkness, then all the lights came back on and they brought down the house with the cut back into little bones, while gord turned the mike back upright and slammed it on the stage...good times! :)
  • Options
    You said; I remember Hengelo!!! What is that about?

In Holland there's a small town called Hengelo, but I doubt The T.H. played there. Did they?

:)

They played at the Metropol in Hengelo on May 24, 1991 according to the Concert listings at the Hip Base (http://hipbase.com) and at the Killer Whale Tank (http://www.killerwhaletank.com/tour/cc/1991.htm).

"I remember Hengelo" is a line from one of their songs called "At the Hundredth Meridian. They say those lines were an inspiration from when the Tragically Hip were on their way to Hengelo. The band's tour manager
    apparently got lost...and the more they got lost looking for small town...the more...the band got drunk. :) There's a bootleg of that show...and it's quite evident when you listen to it. :D

They were also at the Pink Pop Festival in Holland in 1991.
  • Options
    could have been the willie nelson...could have been the wine...

sorry, just listening to the songs of the day, and realized it's not long before willie is coming to halifax...:)
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

it's so nice to hear this version of opiated again... thanks for keeping us all up to date direwolf! :)
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    :)

They played at the Metropol in Hengelo on May 24, 1991

Date: 05/24/91
    Venue: Metropool
    Opening Act: Tuxedo Buck
    Recorded: Yes
    Setlist: Crack My Spine Like a Whip/ She Didn't Know/ Twist My Arm/ Looking for a Place to Happen/ Bring It All Back/ Boots or Hearts/ I'll Believe in You/ 38 Years Old/ Trickle Down/ Cordelia/ Three Pistols/ Little Bones/ New Orleans is Sinking/ On the Verge/ Ouch/ Seven Days/ Blow at High Dough
    Notes: This show was unique in a few ways. First off, it was Dave Powell's birthday, the Hip's road manager (he no longer is). Second, this was the first recorded show that a song from Fully Completely appeared for the very first time (Looking...). And finally, the band did a rare cover song, Seven Days, by Bob Dylan. Contrary to popular belief, Tuxedo Bucks was the name of the opening band, and not the name of the venue.

That is so weird, Hengelo of all places.
    I'm guessing they we not that big back then.
  • Options
    Date: 05/24/91
    Venue: Metropool
    Opening Act: Tuxedo Buck
    Recorded: Yes
    Setlist: Crack My Spine Like a Whip/ She Didn't Know/ Twist My Arm/ Looking for a Place to Happen/ Bring It All Back/ Boots or Hearts/ I'll Believe in You/ 38 Years Old/ Trickle Down/ Cordelia/ Three Pistols/ Little Bones/ New Orleans is Sinking/ On the Verge/ Ouch/ Seven Days/ Blow at High Dough
    Notes: This show was unique in a few ways. First off, it was Dave Powell's birthday, the Hip's road manager (he no longer is). Second, this was the first recorded show that a song from Fully Completely appeared for the very first time (Looking...). And finally, the band did a rare cover song, Seven Days, by Bob Dylan. Contrary to popular belief, Tuxedo Bucks was the name of the opening band, and not the name of the venue.

That is so weird, Hengelo of all places.
    I'm guessing they we not that big back then.

holy shit! thanks for these posts mariposa and karma defect! :)

i have the recording of "seven days" and always wondered which show it was from.

gord starts off the song by saying "all right, it was dave powell's birthday yesterday, it was also bob dylan's birthday...50 years old. so we felt we had to maybe play a bob dylan song...yeah, it's seven days, i think..."

then they proceed to rock it! :D

nice to see that setlist. it's the only time they've ever played that cover.
  • Options

i have the recording of "seven days" and always wondered which show it was from.

gord starts off the song by saying "all right, it was dave powell's birthday yesterday, it was also bob dylan's birthday...50 years old. so we felt we had to maybe play a bob dylan song...yeah, it's seven days, i think..."

I just remembered too....and I was about to tell you, but you got to it first. :D Glad to have the recording, thanks again!
  • Options

Good choice as well 7 days.
    I'd love to have that one for my Bob being coverd collection.
    7 days is not the ovious song to cover.
  • Options

Check your PM, you could thank Mookie for it.

It's a great cover. :)
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:

LOL...i did the same mariposa...:) we canadians are too sharing when it comes to the hip...haha.

nice work...spread the hip! :D
  • Options

The Hip rarely play cover songs, but when they do it's always amazing. Apparently they did a kick-ass cover of Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" at a recent benefit show. Wish I could've heard that one. They also do a brilliant cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Black Day in July", which appears on the Lightfoot tribute album, "Beautiful". I highly recommend downloading that one if you can find it.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    The Hip rarely play cover songs, but when they do it's always amazing. Apparently they did a kick-ass cover of Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" at a recent benefit show. Wish I could've heard that one. They also do a brilliant cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Black Day in July", which appears on the Lightfoot tribute album, "Beautiful". I highly recommend downloading that one if you can find it.

sorry if i've bored you with this story before direwolf...i think i may have actually posted it earlier in the thread..so my bad...but i do love sharing it...it's about a solo show that gord did in halifax at the marquee club on the day johnny cash passed away...september 12, 2003...

i worked at the marquee from the day it opened, and have to say that gord's solo show was one of the best, and most highly anticipated, shows we ever hosted. gord certainly did not disappoint!

when i came into work that night i was really looking forward to the show, but i have to admit i was feeling kind of sad after hearing the news about johnny cash's passing.

i came in early to check out gord's soundcheck and to set up the bar, as i knew it would be a busy night. when i arrived, gord was by himself outside on the back step behind the stage, playing his guitar. i got a quick hello and a smile from him as i headed inside.

a few minutes later, while unlocking the liqour cabinets, gord came up to me at the bar and said "hi, i'm gord"...as if he needed an introduction ..and held out his hand. i shook his hand and said "hey gord, i'm tim. it's a pleasure to meet you." we then started talking about johnny cash for a few minutes, and what a sad day it was with his passing. gord told me that he wanted to do a cash song that night and had decided to do " the man comes around", but he didn't have the lyrics. he asked me if i might be able to help him out, considering i was the only one around working at the time...i had keys to the office so i told him i would download the lyrics for him on the computer downstairs. i got the lyrics for him...he thanked me and went off, i assume, to practice the tune.

later, when he came on stage, he opened with the cash tune and there was an atmosphere in the place that i had never experienced. didn't experience it again either...and i've seen a lot of shows. there wasn't a dry eye around, that i could see, after gord finished that song. a fitting tribute to a great musician and a legend, and performed by a canadian legend...unforgettable for me, and i'm sure many felt the same way.
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

I'll keep it in mind. But remember I as off yet don't own any album, so I'll probable first check out Phantom power. And maybe work my way from there.

But thanks for your insight.
  • Options
    sorry if i've bored you with this story before direwolf...i think i may have actually posted it earlier in the thread..so my bad...but i do love sharing it...it's about a solo show that gord did in halifax at the marquee club on the day johnny cash passed away...september 12, 2003...

i worked at the marquee from the day it opened, and have to say that gord's solo show was one of the best, and most highly anticipated, shows we ever hosted. gord certainly did not disappoint!

when i came into work that night i was really looking forward to the show, but i have to admit i was feeling kind of sad after hearing the news about johnny cash's passing.

i came in early to check out gord's soundcheck and to set up the bar, as i knew it would be a busy night. when i arrived, gord was by himself outside on the back step behind the stage, playing his guitar. i got a quick hello and a smile from him as i headed inside.

a few minutes later, while unlocking the liqour cabinets, gord came up to me at the bar and said "hi, i'm gord"...as if he needed an introduction ..and held out his hand. i shook his hand and said "hey gord, i'm tim. it's a pleasure to meet you." we then started talking about johnny cash for a few minutes, and what a sad day it was with his passing. gord told me that he wanted to do a cash song that night and had decided to do " the man comes around", but he didn't have the lyrics. he asked me if i might be able to help him out, considering i was the only one around working at the time...i had keys to the office so i told him i would download the lyrics for him on the computer downstairs. i got the lyrics for him...he thanked me and went off, i assume, to practice the tune.

later, when he came on stage, he opened with the cash tune and there was an atmosphere in the place that i had never experienced. didn't experience it again either...and i've seen a lot of shows. there wasn't a dry eye around, that i could see, after gord finished that song. a fitting tribute to a great musician and a legend, and performed by a canadian legend...unforgettable for me, and i'm sure many felt the same way.

I have nothing to say and no story to share....but just bumping it up. Just spreading the Hip like you said. :D

I never get tired of your story, hopefully they'll find your beautiful painting somewhere in the thread as well. :)
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    hi y'all, as i put some posts earlier i just got the 'hypo...' collection and i am starting to get used to the songs.
    one that stood out for me was '38 years old'.

any info about what is it about?

See my sister got raped, so a man got killed
    Local boy went to prison, man's buried on the hill
    Folks went back to normal when they closed the case
    But they still stare at their shoes when they pass our place

true story?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:

LOL...i did the same mariposa...:) we canadians are too sharing when it comes to the hip...haha.

nice work...spread the hip! :D

Thank you both, I'm sure "Gord" would be proud off you.

I told Mookie that I could only share god thoughts.

Now I'm hoping that's not true.

I will share with you a little story.

A story about Ed. In my Pearl Jam collection I have a bootleg from a gig at Greatwoods 1998 on the 16 off September. It is near the end off the show when they play, Go. The song has finished, the feedback is still, uhm.. feeding back I guess when their is a weird, pliou...rickatickting to beheard.
    And then,.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hey listen asshole; One more Fucker throws a fuckin' quarter out here, and we're out off here, I'm tellin' ya! Fucker! What the fuck! you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody! Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and fuck it, I'm out off here, or we're all out off here. Fuck you! And if anyone sees anyone throws fuckin' ...change right next to him, you have my promission to personaly beat the fuckin' holy shit shit out of him!!! Thank you very much.
    Fucking Idiot!
    Aha that feld good, thank you.

Luckely for the crowed they don't walk off stage. Instead they start State of love and trust. During the song Eddie changes the lyrics around, and sings OHHH won't you save me from,....., (muffeld) someone over there.

I hope this ain't common knowledge, so that it might be a nice thank u.
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    I have nothing to say and no story to share....but just bumping it up. Just spreading the Hip like you said. :D

I never get tired of your story, hopefully they'll find your beautiful painting somewhere in the thread as well. :)

far too kind mariposa! :)
  • Options
    brhf9 wrote:
    hi y'all, as i put some posts earlier i just got the 'hypo...' collection and i am starting to get used to the songs.
    one that stood out for me was '38 years old'.

any info about what is it about?

See my sister got raped, so a man got killed
    Local boy went to prison, man's buried on the hill
    Folks went back to normal when they closed the case
    But they still stare at their shoes when they pass our place

true story?

i think it was either mariposa or direwolf that told the story on that one...i think it is about a prison near kingston ontario...

they no longer play it...something due to gord's family and his brother getting letters and too much attention...can't recall...maybe someone could refresh my memory...
  • Options
    Amazing story, Mookie! Gord really is one of a kind. I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him for a few mintues when he did a poetry reading at the National Library in Ottawa. He's such an awesome, down-to-earth guy. And very quiet too. Almost the complete opposite of the freak of nature that he becomes on stage. Speaking of live performances, I just bought my ticket for the Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge. Can't wait to hear the boys play some new material!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Thank you both, I'm sure "Gord" would be proud off you.

I told Mookie that I could only share god thoughts.

Now I'm hoping that's not true.

I will share with you a little story.

A story about Ed. In my Pearl Jam collection I have a bootleg from a gig at Greatwoods 1998 on the 16 off September. It is near the end off the show when they play, Go. The song has finished, the feedback is still, uhm.. feeding back I guess when their is a weird, pliou...rickatickting to beheard.
    And then,.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hey listen asshole; One more Fucker throws a fuckin' quarter out here, and we're out off here, I'm tellin' ya! Fucker! What the fuck! you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody! Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and fuck it, I'm out off here, or we're all out off here. Fuck you! And if anyone sees anyone throws fuckin' ...change right next to him, you have my promission to personaly beat the fuckin' holy shit shit out of him!!! Thank you very much.
    Fucking Idiot!
    Aha that feld good, thank you.

Luckely for the crowed they don't walk off stage. Instead they start State of love and trust. During the song Eddie changes the lyrics around, and sings OHHH won't you save me from,....., (muffeld) someone over there.

I hope this ain't common knowledge, so that it might be a nice thank u.

awesome! hadn't heard that one... thanks for sharing the story kd :)
  • Options
    i think it was either mariposa or direwolf that told the story on that one...i think it is about a prison near kingston ontario...

they no longer play it...something due to gord's family and his brother getting letters and too much attention...can't recall...maybe someone could refresh my memory...

For the complete scoop on "38 Years Old", go here:

http://hipmuseum.com/38.html

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    SssSss Posts: 10
    Great story Karma!
    Thanks!
    The world does not belong to us
    We belong to the world
    ~Ishmael