Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,698
    imalive, Thanks for the tour. :)
    You have the key for success in displaying a multitude of different looking posters. Keeping something the same, such as the frame style and/or color plus hanging every thing at the same height.
    It really looks great and you're blessed with such a huge media room. It looks like you still have room for more. I've done something similar with mine.
    I think I have the same TV, a 55" Samsun LED, it's hard to tear myself away from that thing! :lol:
    ALL are the same americanframe.com frame.

TV is a Sony. Samsung was another 1000 bucks ;)
    boyo79 wrote:

Nice, I really like this poster and was thinking of buying it from Scratch & Dent
    I don't see it in the scratch and dent :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    CJMST3K wrote:

PLEASE NOTE - MICHAEL'S IS LITERALLY SCAMMING PEOPLE.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/media_center/2011/ ... 9a_11.html

Headline:
    A.G. SCHNEIDERMAN SECURES $1.8 MILLION FROM MICHAELS STORES FOR MISLEADING CONSUMERS

Schneiderman: "For Years, Consumers Were Deceived Into Thinking They Were Receiving Huge Discounts When They Were Paying Regular Prices" "Through deceptive advertising practices, this company violated the law and took advantage of hardworking consumers trying to save money"
    It's been known for years in the industry, but for some reason attorney generals in various states are slow to research because of the time involved. The NYS Attorney General just researched it and punished them, but they'll still do this in the other 49 states.

I'll put it this way, if someone triples the price of something, then gives you a 60% discount, are you saving anything?

...just throwing this in the mix.

My part timer in my frame shop used to work at M's. They instructed her to put ATG tape (double sided tape) on the back side of the matting where the opening in the matting is, and then adhese the mat to the FACE of the poster. This destroys any value, since it puts permanent adhesive on the face of the poster. Anyway, all I'm saying is consider a local, non big-box framer. They typically don't destroy prints when framing them, and don't scam people, as you can read above Attorney General's report.

Thanks for the heads up Hoff!

I kinda had an inkling that they had over-inflated prices, I went there to get an estimate for one of my posters, and the gal said, "Oh with the coupon you'll save so much money! The regular price would be $378, and with the coupon, your price would be $180" She didn't seem too happy that I seemed to know a bit about framing (thanks to reading your framing special threads).

I have gotten stuff framed at a shop where they showed me how to frame the art. They showed me how to measure, and they cut everything, and showed me how to put it together. I was really happy with the pieces I did.The last time I went in when it was slow, so the guy practically did the whole thing for me... :lol:

Still waiting for your framing special...or hope I didn't miss it... :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    imalive wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:

Nice, I really like this poster and was thinking of buying it from Scratch & Dent
    I don't see it in the scratch and dent :?

It was in Scratch & Dent about a month ago I'm sure. Its still available in the normal poster section on Goods; I'm still considering whether to get it or not!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for the tour! The room looks great and you've got a lot of unused wall space! :D
    My room is much smaller so I had to get creative and I'm about out of space. Plus I've already overflowed into my home office. Got just over 30 framed and hung between both rooms.
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    My newest - Not a poster but my stuff front the PJ20/Canada run of 6 shows.
    My girlfriend did the layout I think it turned out pretty good!
    Framed_PJ20sz.jpg
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659

Nice! I'm going to frame my AP soon... currently moving in the process of buying a house... after we move in I'm going to find a spot for it and do it up....I found someone from the first 3 rows who had a few awesome pictures of Neil with the band... going to blow one of them up to an 8x10 or 10x12 and frame it with the print and the ticket stub...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,591
    shep wrote:

Nice! I'm going to frame my AP soon... currently moving in the process of buying a house... after we move in I'm going to find a spot for it and do it up....I found someone from the first 3 rows who had a few awesome pictures of Neil with the band... going to blow one of them up to an 8x10 or 10x12 and frame it with the print and the ticket stub...

Good idea with the ticket stub. Hoping to get my night 1 done in the next couple of weeks as well
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    StevieG73 wrote:
    Loulou wrote:
    soldierofpeace001-2.jpg
    It's kinda hard to get a good pic because he's so shiny! :lol:

Wow...very nice. Can you take a close up pic of the frame and matting you used?
    Sure, will do. Just gotta wait for my camera to charge. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,076
    My first do-it-yourself frame job, using materials ordered on american frame (thanks to all on here who refer there!)
    I think it turned out pretty good. The frame is a mahogoney; double matted with a slightly off white on top and a coffee bean brown underneath.

IMG_2268-1.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2275-1.jpg

I had originally decided to do all black framing on my posters, but this one I am pretty sure is going to end up in my bedroom, so the wood tone looks nice with my furniture. I have it in the living room for now so I can enjoy it a bit more for a few days :D
    next up: EV Chicago 2011; night 1 and Jermaine Rogers Soldier of Peace from PJ20 (not sure if i will frame the foil "Ten Club Second Annual Rockin Poster Convention" variant version or the paper version; was leaning towards the paper version until I saw Lorna's foil above!! :shock: Gorgeous, girl!!
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    My first do-it-yourself frame job, using materials ordered on american frame (thanks to all on here who refer there!)
    I think it turned out pretty good. The frame is a mahogoney; double matted with a slightly off white on top and a coffee bean brown underneath.

IMG_2268-1.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2275-1.jpg

I had originally decided to do all black framing on my posters, but this one I am pretty sure is going to end up in my bedroom, so the wood tone looks nice with my furniture. I have it in the living room for now so I can enjoy it a bit more for a few days :D
    next up: EV Chicago 2011; night 1 and Jermaine Rogers Soldier of Peace from PJ20 (not sure if i will frame the foil "Ten Club Second Annual Rockin Poster Convention" variant version or the paper version; was leaning towards the paper version until I saw Lorna's foil above!! :shock: Gorgeous, girl!!

Looks great! Can't wait to see what you do with your EV Chicago. I am still trying to figure out how I am going to frame the night 1 and night 2 set from those shows.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Looks great! Can't wait to see what you do with your EV Chicago. I am still trying to figure out how I am going to frame the night 1 and night 2 set from those shows.

Thanks Jason! :)

I really want to frame both of the EV Chicago prints from this year, but due to lack of space and the fact that I like the b&w "classic" theme of night 1 best, I think I am going to go for that one first. I may end up framing them identically in my dining room together....

Right now, I am thinking a thick black frame with a simple border design and a double matting of white and dark grey. I am waiting on some matte samples to decide for sure. I will def post it when I do it (probably next month due to fund-age) :D
    Makes much more sense...

2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
  • Options
    I hope to pickup my Klausen PJ20 from the framer tomorrow. Pics to come.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951

IMG_2268-1.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2275-1.jpg

That looks really well done. Was it easy to do it yourself? I am thinking of giving americanframe a try since I bought the Ottawa poster at the show and it is so damn big it will cost me a fortune to get it done by a pro. I am curious, what did you use to secure the poster to the mat? I know you have to use acid free tape, but I am not sure if I feel like spending 30 bucks on 165 feet of it from american frame when I will really only need maybe 3 feet. Anyone know other options for where to get this kind of stuff in smaller amounts? Either stores or online places that preferrable ship to Canada?
  • Options
    I think it turned out pretty good.
    hell of a job, first timer! :shock: :mrgreen: :thumbup:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    That looks really well done. Was it easy to do it yourself? I am thinking of giving americanframe a try since I bought the Ottawa poster at the show and it is so damn big it will cost me a fortune to get it done by a pro. I am curious, what did you use to secure the poster to the mat? I know you have to use acid free tape, but I am not sure if I feel like spending 30 bucks on 165 feet of it from american frame when I will really only need maybe 3 feet. Anyone know other options for where to get this kind of stuff in smaller amounts? Either stores or online places that preferrable ship to Canada?

Thanks! :)

I actually did not use any tape to secure the print....Since you specify everything with American Frame when you order, I knew what my overhang was and just lined it up freehand. The only tape I did use was to keep the 2 mattes lined up together (the bottom matte had a 1/2 inch smaller footprint for some reason, which it should not have, so I used a tiny, tiny peice of acid free tape on the back of the white matte to lay the brown matte on top of it. I had acid free tape that I bought at Micheals a while ago for a different project (that never came to fruition..haha). I think it was relatively cheap...check the scrapbooking section at craft stores.
    I would NOT recommend taping your print down, especially with 3 feet of tape, acid free or not! :shock: Even if you aren't planning to reframe it, I would never put that much tape on a print (ideally, none, but certainly not that much). Of course, that is just my opinion....

To answer your other question, it was SUPER easy. The worst part for me was screwing in all the metal clips to hold the art tight into the frame. It called for pre-drilling holes and then screwing it in, but I didnt trust myself to be a gentle enough driller and was afraid to crack the frame (or drill all the way through it on accident :lol: ) The wood was soft enough I just went right into it with the screws and that worked out great :D
    imalive wrote:
    hell of a job, first timer!

Thank you sir :mrgreen: :ugeek:
    I quite fancy it myself!
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    I would NOT recommend taping your print down, especially with 3 feet of tape, acid free or not! :shock: Even if you aren't planning to reframe it, I would never put that much tape on a print (ideally, none, but certainly not that much). Of course, that is just my opinion....
    I tape the whole damn thing down with whatever tape is laying around :shock: :lol:
    It called for pre-drilling holes and then screwing it in, but I didnt trust myself to be a gentle enough driller and was afraid to crack the frame (or drill all the way through it on accident :lol: ) The wood was soft enough I just went right into it with the screws and that worked out great :D
    yep, just run those suckers in....eff a bunch of pre-drilling :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274
    Double wood frame, thin gold and bold brown for Indian Minneapolis

PA052814-1.jpg
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274

IMG_2268-1.jpg

That is a nice poster and even more nicer frame.
    Awesome job!!
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 449
    If you're framing a poster that's been in a tube, do you have to do anything to the poster to flatten it out before framing it? Gather all the facts before I frame my first one. :D
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    when buying online (eg, from AmericanFrame) what glass do you recommend?
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    StevieG73 wrote:
    If you're framing a poster that's been in a tube, do you have to do anything to the poster to flatten it out before framing it? Gather all the facts before I frame my first one. :D

I usually flatten by posters by storing them between 2 pieces of acid free foam core (used for framing and available at art or craft stores). After a week or two, the prints are pretty flat and it seems like a pretty safe way to do it.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951

Thanks! :)

I actually did not use any tape to secure the print....Since you specify everything with American Frame when you order, I knew what my overhang was and just lined it up freehand. The only tape I did use was to keep the 2 mattes lined up together (the bottom matte had a 1/2 inch smaller footprint for some reason, which it should not have, so I used a tiny, tiny peice of acid free tape on the back of the white matte to lay the brown matte on top of it. I had acid free tape that I bought at Micheals a while ago for a different project (that never came to fruition..haha). I think it was relatively cheap...check the scrapbooking section at craft stores.

To answer your other question, it was SUPER easy. The worst part for me was screwing in all the metal clips to hold the art tight into the frame. It called for pre-drilling holes and then screwing it in, but I didnt trust myself to be a gentle enough driller and was afraid to crack the frame (or drill all the way through it on accident :lol: ) The wood was soft enough I just went right into it with the screws and that worked out great :D

Intersting that you didn't need tape since if you watch the how-to videos on americanframe.com they talk about using a piece of tape on the top of the art to secure it to the mat. If I do order I will have to see first if it works without tape. And the three feet was more of an exageration than anthing to point out I would never ever use the 165' foot roll that they are selling, unless I decided to wrap christmas presents with it.
  • Options
    Intersting that you didn't need tape since if you watch the how-to videos on americanframe.com they talk about using a piece of tape on the top of the art to secure it to the mat.

I'm a "no directions" kinda girl :lol: I didn't bother to watch the video. I'm sure if you use the proper kind of tape, its fine. I'm just a tad bit OCD and if I put tape on my prints, everytime i looked at the finished product I would wonder what kind of damage was being done by the tape holding it inside. If I ever wanted to take something out of its frame, I would worry the tape would rip or remove a layer of the paper.

I worry too much, basically :lol:

Good luck to you in framing---if you follow thier directions, I'm sure its fine. They are certainly the experts in comparison to me! :D
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    StevieG73 wrote:
    If you're framing a poster that's been in a tube, do you have to do anything to the poster to flatten it out before framing it? Gather all the facts before I frame my first one.

I usually flatten by posters by storing them between 2 pieces of acid free foam core (used for framing and available at art or craft stores). After a week or two, the prints are pretty flat and it seems like a pretty safe way to do it.

+1
    I flatten all of my posters before they go into my portfolio, and I do it similarily to Jason but I place a bunch of stuff on the top board to add weight and help flatten quicker (books, magazines, PJ SD box sets :lol: ) Don't try to frame a poster fresh out of the tube. Nothing good will come of that! Just allow for enough flattening time; the longer its been in the tube, the longer it will probably take to flatten.
    That is a nice poster and even more nicer frame.
    Awesome job!!

Thanks!! I'm diggin the Minneapolis EV that you just did as well!! GREAT poster and an amazing show!! :D
    Makes much more sense...

• Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 449
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    StevieG73 wrote:
    If you're framing a poster that's been in a tube, do you have to do anything to the poster to flatten it out before framing it? Gather all the facts before I frame my first one.

+1
    I flatten all of my posters before they go into my portfolio, and I do it similarily to Jason but I place a bunch of stuff on the top board to add weight and help flatten quicker (books, magazines, PJ SD box sets :lol: ) Don't try to frame a poster fresh out of the tube. Nothing good will come of that! Just allow for enough flattening time; the longer its been in the tube, the longer it will probably take to flatten.

Perfect...thanks for the advice guys! :D
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    I have usede AmericanFrames to get supplies for multiple posters, and like Kelly, have NEVER taped the actual poster to anything. The key is making sure it is lined up perfect and using the little metal pieces to provide pressure in the right areas to keep the poster in place.

I have had one poster framed like that for about a year and a half now, and I have not seen it shift, or become misplaced.
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Look what I got: :D:D:D
    IMG_0101.jpg

If anyone has framing suggestions, I'm all ears.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,083
    EZ1221C wrote:
    IMG_0101.jpg

Mazel Tov! I know you have been searching for a long time. May it bring you lots of happy thoughts and memories
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Mazel Tov! I know you have been searching for a long time. May it bring you lots of happy thoughts and memories
    Thanks Dave! Getting this today was a huge relief. I can't wait to get it framed. :D
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    timctimc Posts: 664
    EZ1221C wrote:
    IMG_0101.jpg

Nice, I know the great feeling of getting a LOOOOOOOOONG time ISO!