How do same people get GA for so many shows?

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,372
    kaw753 said:

It's been a long time since I signed up for a membership, but what is stopping me from making up a wife? 
    Self-respect? :)

Another approach is to order one from a catalog...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 325
    There's a decent number of "friends of the band/crew" who have access to GA for any show.
    Some decent sized groups of friends who tour together and all put in for multiple shows and share tickets to cover each other.
    As others said there are a lot of people with multiple accounts for spouses/kids/friends.  If you plan on hitting a bunch of shows every tour, the ~$37/year/account could be worth it to multiply your chances of hitting GA.  I don't think credit card has to match name on account and easy to share Ticketmaster login with family member.  
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,652
    Had GA for both LA shows... just lucky. Pit really light
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,227
    I put in for 4 shows this year and chose the best available option (GA or Seats) for both Seattles and both Wrigleys.  I went 1 for 4 in the lottery.  Only show I won was reserved for Seattle 1.  Got the other shows I needed on F2F and on here. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 841
    kosteva2 said:
    There's a decent number of "friends of the band/crew" who have access to GA for any show.
    Some decent sized groups of friends who tour together and all put in for multiple shows and share tickets to cover each other.
    As others said there are a lot of people with multiple accounts for spouses/kids/friends.  If you plan on hitting a bunch of shows every tour, the ~$37/year/account could be worth it to multiply your chances of hitting GA.  I don't think credit card has to match name on account and easy to share Ticketmaster login with family member.  
    Crap, it is $37 now?

Paying an extra $37 per year when I have won GA tickets 1 time in 20+ selections over the years seems like a terrible return on investment when you can just buy them for any show in the EU and get close for two shows at Ohana with a well timed bathroom break.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,878
    GA can be had for most shows with the appropriate amount of effort. What is more telling is the amount of effort it takes to be on the rail for multiple shows to the point of being recognized by Ed or the band. There is no doubt a network of fans that invest significant time and are devoted to being on the rail for as many shows as possible. They help each other out, possibly to the exclusion of others which why the 10c publicly stated there is no official list for GA.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,844
    Based on my experience, it seems like a small number of people (20 or less) are the regulars who are celebrated and therefore makes it sound like a bigger issue.

Most people can walk in when doors open to grab a solid view 2-5 rows back without the wait. Those that go for rail have a support system of friends and know how to manage waiting out 12+ hours for their spots. I don't mind their approach, they put in the work and choose to spend accordingly to get what they want.

But, the spirit of the band offering GA pits again was to rotate in fresh faces up front vs the same legacy 10C members getting guaranteed reserved seats. It'd be nice to see some random-assignment lineup experiments to prevent the same people landing rail each show - reduces the anxiety, conflicts, and safety of fans trying to tough it out outside most venues.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,010
    Would love to see them distribute numbered bracelets the day of the show for GA and then randomly draw a number to determine the first person in line. It would rotate the faces up front and eliminate the need to camp out all night.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,938
    on2legs said:
    Would love to see them distribute numbered bracelets the day of the show for GA and then randomly draw a number to determine the first person in line. It would rotate the faces up front and eliminate the need to camp out all night.  
    This ^
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,652
    on2legs said:
    Like Bruce did for years until his camp got tired of managing it. Was fair. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,256
    Is it even worth any additional management though? Granted the Fenway shows were my first PJ GA experience in 11 years but it was super easy. Both nights I showed up around the beginning of Glen's set and strolled up to around a dozen people back dead center. The entire night was very comfortable from there....no pushing and shoving. If people want to get in line 12 hours earlier and bicker about it to be 40 feet closer knock yourself out.
    pjl44 said:
    Is it even worth any additional management though? Granted the Fenway shows were my first PJ GA experience in 11 years but it was super easy. Both nights I showed up around the beginning of Glen's set and strolled up to around a dozen people back dead center. The entire night was very comfortable from there....no pushing and shoving. If people want to get in line 12 hours earlier and bicker about it to be 40 feet closer knock yourself out.
    It would be worth it to me to show up 1-2 hours before doors open to get a wristband for a chance to be at the rail. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,722
    pjl44 said:
    One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that for Fenway at least.....not terribly difficult to get into GA
    Night 2 was way more packed than night 1.
    Folks definitely figured a work around for getting extra people into the pit that night.
    An instance where the digital ticket thing backfired vs. old days when your paper ticket would get marked with a Sharpie when you got your wristband.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,372
    Get_Right said:
    GA can be had for most shows with the appropriate amount of effort. What is more telling is the amount of effort it takes to be on the rail for multiple shows to the point of being recognized by Ed or the band. There is no doubt a network of fans that invest significant time and are devoted to being on the rail for as many shows as possible. They help each other out, possibly to the exclusion of others which why the 10c publicly stated there is no official list for GA.
    The two people who were dead center on the rail at L.A. Night 1 left three songs before the show was over to get in line for Night 2. I couldn't believe it, but I was glad to slide into their spot and make it to the rail for the first time ever at what was my 77th show.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,878
    BF25394 said:
    Get_Right said:
    The two people who were dead center on the rail at L.A. Night 1 left three songs before the show was over to get in line for Night 2. I couldn't believe it, but I was glad to slide into their spot and make it to the rail for the first time ever at what was my 77th show.

Bravo on the number of shows. I am too old to deal with GA. Especially at $175. I put in for reserved and have had good luck with the lottery. Hoping there are more US dates in 2025.
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,630
    tschav said:
    Based on my experience, it seems like a small number of people (20 or less) are the regulars who are celebrated and therefore makes it sound like a bigger issue.

Most people can walk in when doors open to grab a solid view 2-5 rows back without the wait. Those that go for rail have a support system of friends and know how to manage waiting out 12+ hours for their spots. I don't mind their approach, they put in the work and choose to spend accordingly to get what they want.

But, the spirit of the band offering GA pits again was to rotate in fresh faces up front vs the same legacy 10C members getting guaranteed reserved seats. It'd be nice to see some random-assignment lineup experiments to prevent the same people landing rail each show - reduces the anxiety, conflicts, and safety of fans trying to tough it out outside most venues.
    on2legs said:

**Would love this
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,628
    edited October 10
    tschav said:

on2legs said:
    They should totally do this.

• gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    tschav said:

Except a lot of that crew does not put in the time.  After waiting outside countless hours, I've witnessed this clique grow by about 10-20 people about 30 mins before doors due to 1 person holding spots for about 4 others that hadn't ever set foot in the line prior.  Frustrating as hell to think you are destined for rail at #20 in line only to end up 40th thanks to line skippers.
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

Except a lot of that crew does not put in the time.  After waiting outside countless hours, I've witnessed this clique grow by about 10-20 people about 30 mins before doors due to 1 person holding spots for about 4 others that hadn't ever set foot in the line prior.  Frustrating as hell to think you are destined for rail at #20 in line only to end up 40th thanks to line skippers.
    All the more reason for numbered bracelets and randomly assigning what #1 is.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,847
    BF25394 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Not all losers realize they are losers.  I leave shows 2 songs early to beat traffic so I can sleep.  
  • craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,318
    BF25394 said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:
    Appreciate the responses, still seems odd to me especially for the indoor shows.  Limited supply vs. demand for Philly and NY especially.   I don't put in for GA so it's not a huge deal to me just had me wondering how these people are getting there all the time, enough for Ed to point it out.   
    Part of it is the way the lottery worked for this tour, as it seems that individual accounts were drawn and sold their entire ticket selection. So, if you put in for GA at a bunch of shows, and your number was picked early, you got GA for those shows. 
    I put in for GA for ten shows. I got GA for five of them. I got non-GA for the other five, so I don't think your theory is correct.

I put in for singles for eight of the ten shows. I did not put in for the highest-demand shows. I think both of these things were a factor in my success in the lottery.

theory works if where your lot was drawn the GA was already filled for higher demand shows, you are assuming all those before you picked the same set of shows.. as more were drawn after you, that person would get less GA shows and more seats.. 
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,942
    demetrios said:
    tschav said:

on2legs said:
    They should totally do this.

Dead & Company for their last proper tour did something similar for VIP ticket holders. They had ticket holders queue at a particular time to receive numbered bracelets, and then return at a later time during which someone (Bill Walton at the last SF show -- an unexpected highlight) drew the winning number. The person wearing that bracelet number was anointed first in line, the following number second to enter and so on. So, for example, if #68 was the winning number then they leapfrog to first in line, #69 is second, #70 is third....and #67 is the caboose.
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

Im sure this happened in the past, I have not seen it and no one I know in the Pit Group has said it's happening... Ive been GA/Rail 6 times this year and everyone lined up and stayed in their spot, didnt see anyone come later,. The few times I did see someone show up they were sent to the back of the line even if their ticket buddy was already queued. I was 32, 22, 11, 19, 45 and 30th.. (4 rail and 2 second center) when I joined the line and was that number on entry.. so seems to be better now then in the past. 
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

Im sure this happened in the past, I have not seen it and no one I know in the Pit Group has said it's happening... Ive been GA/Rail 6 times this year and everyone lined up and stayed in their spot, didnt see anyone come later,. The few times I did see someone show up they were sent to the back of the line even if their ticket buddy was already queued. I was 32, 22, 11, 19, 45 and 30th.. (4 rail and 2 second center) when I joined the line and was that number on entry.. so seems to be better now then in the past. 
    How long did you spend on line on average for each show?

on2legs said:
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

FT Worth 2, Arrived at 6pm day before (32 in line 2nd row) , Austin 2, 11pm day before ( Exited N1)(22 in line, Rail) , Sacramento Arrived Sat 5PM ( Monday show) (11 in line, Rail) Bottlerock arrived at 8am day of ( 19 in line.. made it to first in bagless entry.. ran to Rail) Wrigley 1, 5am day of (45 in line, 2nd row)  Ohana Sunday, Arrived day of 4:30 am, 30th in line got to first in a shoot, ran to rail ) 

Then I did seats for 5 other shows. 
    on2legs said:
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

FT Worth 2, Arrived at 6pm day before (32 in line 2nd row) , Austin 2, 11pm day before ( Exited N1)(22 in line, Rail) , Sacramento Arrived Sat 5PM ( Monday show) (11 in line, Rail) Bottlerock arrived at 8am day of ( 19 in line.. made it to first in bagless entry.. ran to Rail) Wrigley 1, 5am day of (45 in line, 2nd row)  Ohana Sunday, Arrived day of 4:30 am, 30th in line got to first in a shoot, ran to rail ) 

That’s a lot of time you invested.  I respect it but I think I would rather roll the dice with a random number draw an hour before the doors open. 

on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

That’s a lot of time you invested.  I respect it but I think I would rather roll the dice with a random number draw an hour before the doors open. 
    Same.

”Arrived Saturday 5pm - Monday show”
    ”Ran to rail”

While respectable, this type of thing should not be encouraged in my opinion.  Not everyone is capable of doing that.  

• GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,761
    I’ve done the overnight camping for rail. I always have a lot of fun. The festivals are the only time you have to run to the rail. For the non-festival shows it is a really orderly process. We are walked to the rail by security in the order of the line and are not allowed to run past the person ahead of you or you will get sent to the back of the line. 
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    gndcd402 said:
    tschav said:

Same.

”Arrived Saturday 5pm - Monday show”
    ”Ran to rail”

While respectable, this type of thing should not be encouraged in my opinion.  Not everyone is capable of doing that.  
    Just festivals are a run.. thats just how it works.. they have multiple entry points, VIP, bag entry bagless... and stage is a mile away.. 

Time investment is not a lot in the long run.. Its a lot of fun hanging with PJ friends.. ( for a few days a year..) 
    Obviously the people who wait 24-48 hours in line are in favor of it.  There are people who don’t have the time or the capacity to do that.  Randomizing #1 would be a benefit to some people and would give more people a shot at the rail.  It’s unlikely they will change the system at this point but it would be refreshing if they did.  Just my 2 cents.