How do same people get GA for so many shows?

pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,455
So during both Philly shows this year ED pointed out how some of the people up front have been to a lot of shows and it a lot of different locations.  how is this possible with the lottery?  What really are the chances of the same people getting picked for GA over and over and over again?  The odds of the same people winning over and over have to be very minimal.

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,822
    pjhawks said:
    So during both Philly shows this year ED pointed out how some of the people up front have been to a lot of shows and it a lot of different locations.  how is this possible with the lottery?  What really are the chances of the same people getting picked for GA over and over and over again?  The odds of the same people winning over and over have to be very minimal.
    Basically who you know. Some get them close to the show from people who can't go. Most win it from the lottery though. I tried for the first time in 2022 and this year. But I just keep getting moved back. 
    I miss igotid88
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,077
    It’s pretty easy to find GA tickets when they make you buy two, lots of people sell their singles
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 832
    big group of people all put in for most/all shows and then help each other out
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,822
    KN219077 said:
    It’s pretty easy to find GA tickets when they make you buy two, lots of people sell their singles
    You don't have to put in for 2 anymore 
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    KN219077 said:
    I did, but I also got 10 club GA So it didn’t bother me, and it was easy to offload the ticket
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,133
    I got drawn GA for both Fenway shows, which honestly should have been almost impossible but wasn't. This year the lottery seemed to award many people multiple GAs. 

Beyond that, there is a dedicated group here who work to get themselves and others GA tickets through trades and plus ones. Lots of people helping each other out, which is cool to see. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Posts: 4,835
    edited October 4
    If you want the truth, it’s two things 

A) Lots of singles trading.  If you’re a solo concert goer, each GA pair hit basically Gets you two shows with a trade

B ) A lot more people than are willing to admit have accounts for their wife, husband, sibling, kid, best friend, etc

Just the way it is
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,787
    igotid88 said:
    KN219077 said:
    But if you do and hit, you have trade bait.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,455
    Appreciate the responses, still seems odd to me especially for the indoor shows.  Limited supply vs. demand for Philly and NY especially.   I don't put in for GA so it's not a huge deal to me just had me wondering how these people are getting there all the time, enough for Ed to point it out.   
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,010
    edited October 4
    pjhawks said:
    Appreciate the responses, still seems odd to me especially for the indoor shows.  Limited supply vs. demand for Philly and NY especially.   I don't put in for GA so it's not a huge deal to me just had me wondering how these people are getting there all the time, enough for Ed to point it out.   
    Think about how much time and effort you might put into succeeding at your job and then imagine bringing the same energy to being in GA.  There is a well connected network of people working together to see as many GA shows as possible.  Gotta respect the hustle. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,847
    on2legs said:
    pjhawks said:
    Think about how much time and effort you might put into succeeding at your job and then imagine bringing the same energy to being in GA.  There is a well connected network of people working together to see as many GA shows as possible.  Gotta respect the hustle. 
    Respect the hustle.  But there is a screw loose to have to be front row at every show in 2024.   Maybe they have nothing going on outside of PJ and wasting days upon days in different cities sitting in a parking lot in a line doesn't seem like wasted time.  If I'm not traveling I'm working so I guess I don't want to use my free time that way.  
    on2legs said:
    pjhawks said:
    Respect the hustle.  But there is a screw loose to have to be front row at every show in 2024.   Maybe they have nothing going on outside of PJ and wasting days upon days in different cities sitting in a parking lot in a line doesn't seem like wasted time.  If I'm not traveling I'm working so I guess I don't want to use my free time that way.  
    Extremely fun for an evening or two, not as a lifestyle
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,010
    on2legs said:
    pjhawks said:
    Agreed. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,101

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    I've scored GA for every show I've put it in as my 1st choice. Maybe it's luck - I certainly don't know anyone in the band or associated with the band. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,975
    edited October 5
    mfc2006 said:
    I've scored GA for every show I've put it in as my 1st choice. Maybe it's luck - I certainly don't know anyone in the band or associated with the band. 
    Did your brother Boom nickname you Ka-Pow? 
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,787
    mfc2006 said:
    Shenanigans!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,256
    One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that for Fenway at least.....not terribly difficult to get into GA
  • mpedonempedone Posts: 1,946
    pjhawks said:
    Part of it is the way the lottery worked for this tour, as it seems that individual accounts were drawn and sold their entire ticket selection. So, if you put in for GA at a bunch of shows, and your number was picked early, you got GA for those shows. 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,536
    There was a theory that lottery was drawn oddly this tour.   Instead of drawing each show separately, they drew ballots, and filled as much of the ballot as they could, and moved into the next ballot.   If you were fortunate to be the first person drawn, and you chose ever show on the tour, you'd get GA to every show on the tour, because there were tickets left.

It was kind of unfair way to do it.  I thought it was kind of suspicious that so few 10c'ers I knew won GA to either Vancouver show, but some people won both.
  • edoconedocon Posts: 330
    I put in for 10 shows in the lottery and won GA for both Vegas shows and drew reserved seats for 7 of the other shows.
  • Zod said:
    There was a theory that lottery was drawn oddly this tour.   Instead of drawing each show separately, they drew ballots, and filled as much of the ballot as they could, and moved into the next ballot.   If you were fortunate to be the first person drawn, and you chose ever show on the tour, you'd get GA to every show on the tour, because there were tickets left.

It was kind of unfair way to do it.  I thought it was kind of suspicious that so few 10c'ers I knew won GA to either Vancouver show, but some people won both.
    Something odd definitely happened with GA at 2 show spots on the US tour. Way too many with GA for both nights.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,318
    Zod said:

Something odd definitely happened with GA at 2 show spots on the US tour. Way too many with GA for both nights.
    Me and a few others (@zod was one) were on thos from the get go. I know there were many people just calling us sore losers and such. Or informed us just how lotteries work, because apparently we don't understand that.

There were some that did get seats for one show and GA for the other show in the same city. But there sure seemed to be a suspiciously large percentage of people that recieved the same selection for both shows in the same city. And knowing now that the GA were supposed to accommodate only 400 tix makes the odds of getting multiple GA seem even lower.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    edited October 5

This is totally true...as is the "account for others." People buy accounts for others. It's totally within the rules to have multiple accounts for the household, providing it's one account per person.

There is absolutely no rule about "the account holder must attend the show."

Hypothetically, someone's wife could buy a membership and win the tickets. The person could then download "her" tockets onto his phone and be good. Meanwhile, the wife is 1500 miles away, watching primetime TV the night of the show.

Some people go to Disney or the beach or whatever for their vacation. Other people do a week of Pearl Jam and it got less expensive since they're doing multiple shows in the same city...fewer flights.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 841

This is totally true...as is the "account for others." People buy accounts for others. It's totally within the rules to have multiple accounts for the household, providing it's one account per person.

Hypothetically, someone's wife could buy a membership and win the tickets. The person could then download "her" tockets onto his phone and be good. Meanwhile, the wife is 1500 miles away, watching primetime TV the night of the show.

Some people go to Disney or the beach or whatever for their vacation. Other people do a week of Pearl Jam and it got less expensive since they're doing multiple shows in the same city...fewer flights.
    It's been a long time since I signed up for a membership, but what is stopping me from making up a wife? Name on credit card?

Honestly, I am most intrigued on how people deal with bathrooming while hanging out for 12 hours at the front. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,534
    It's really not hard at all to get a ticket if you have money 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,256
    kaw753 said:

It's been a long time since I signed up for a membership, but what is stopping me from making up a wife? Name on credit card?

Honestly, I am most intrigued on how people deal with bathrooming while hanging out for 12 hours at the front. 
    Depends

on how cool the other people around you are.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,938
    on2legs said:
    pjhawks said:
    I’m not a GA guy but I’ve spent a lot of time on fan to fan.  The above posting as applied to me should be “think about how much you could get done at work if you spent the time and effort you spend on fan to fan”! 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • I keep progressively getting moved back at Fenway, so I'm fine with a GA thrown in once in a while! 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,372
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:
    Part of it is the way the lottery worked for this tour, as it seems that individual accounts were drawn and sold their entire ticket selection. So, if you put in for GA at a bunch of shows, and your number was picked early, you got GA for those shows. 
    I put in for GA for ten shows. I got GA for five of them. I got non-GA for the other five, so I don't think your theory is correct.

I put in for singles for eight of the ten shows. I did not put in for the highest-demand shows. I think both of these things were a factor in my success in the lottery.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.