How do same people get GA for so many shows?

Comments

• I saw the same people at the front of the GA line at Wrigley 2 (presumably they lined up after N1) and in the Fenway GA line over 24 hours before the show. What I really want to know is how these people possibly have that much free time
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,665
    Obviously the people who wait 24-48 hours in line are in favor of it.  There are people who don’t have the time or the capacity to do that.  Randomizing #1 would be a benefit to some people and would give more people a shot at the rail.  It’s unlikely they will change the system at this point but it would be refreshing if they did.  Just my 2 cents.  
    They used to make rows 1 and 10 random draw...but that requires seating rather than GA

I benefited from a row 10 draw for the Columbus OH show and the Noblesville show
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,628
    I saw the same people at the front of the GA line at Wrigley 2 (presumably they lined up after N1) and in the Fenway GA line over 24 hours before the show. What I really want to know is how these people possibly have that much free time

I've seen the same people on the rail for Seattle N1, Seattle N2, Philly N1, Philly N2 & Baltimore who ... were in the early merch line & having a good time @ the Wishlist Foundation Preparties. These folks did not stay the whole time in the GA line for 24 hours. They might of had a tent in the GA line, but the fact they took turns every few hours being in the first 30 or so in the merch line, and having dinner @ the preparty .. isn't right IMO. If 10club management took a photo who were in the first 30 GA folks who go for the rail, then take a photo of the first 30 in the merch line when the truck opens, and take a photo at the pre party ... they will be surprised.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,010
    I’ve seen the shenanigans in the merch line.  A couple of years ago we lined up for merch and  we were about 20 people from the front.  About an hour before they opened the truck, at least a dozen people came wandering up little by little to join people in the line ahead of us.  These people were nowhere to be seen for the 3 plus hours before this so it’s not like they were returning from the bathroom.  My guess is they alternate holding spots in line for each other from show to show.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetrios said:
    I saw the same people at the front of the GA line at Wrigley 2 (presumably they lined up after N1) and in the Fenway GA line over 24 hours before the show. What I really want to know is how these people possibly have that much free time

I've seen the same people on the rail for Seattle N1, Seattle N2, Philly N1, Philly N2 & Baltimore who ... were in the early merch line & having a good time @ the Wishlist Foundation Preparties. These folks did not stay the whole time in the GA line for 24 hours. They might of had a tent in the GA line, but the fact they took turns every few hours being in the first 30 or so in the merch line, and having dinner @ the preparty .. isn't right IMO. If 10club management took a photo who were in the first 30 GA folks who go for the rail, then take a photo of the first 30 in the merch line when the truck opens, and take a photo at the pre party ... they will be surprised.
    Yeah this is super lame. One of the reasons I'm over lining up early for anything PJ related; people abuse the system and it's not worth the frustration.
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,761
    edited October 14
    I can only speak for myself about taking the time to camp out in the GA line. I usually plan for it ahead of time in terms of taking vacation days from work. I also work remotely, so I have brought my laptop and worked in the GA line using either my hotspot, or the venue wifi. I see a lot of people doing that as well. So, it can be done. I know it is not for everyone - but I really enjoy the time spent with friends camping out. I wouldn't have met 1/2 the people I am now friends with had I not done this for the last several tours. For me it is a big part of the whole touring around experience.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,628
    on2legs said:
    I’ve seen the shenanigans in the merch line.  A couple of years ago we lined up for merch and  we were about 20 people from the front.  About an hour before they opened the truck, at least a dozen people came wandering up little by little to join people in the line ahead of us.  These people were nowhere to be seen for the 3 plus hours before this so it’s not like they were returning from the bathroom.  My guess is they alternate holding spots in line for each other from show to show.  

Philly '24 show 1. We were 15th or so in the merch line. At 12pm we were 30th. Wasn't right but what could we do? 2nd day I can't remember the dude's name who was behind us but he went right up to the security guard. He wasn't having it. If we were 12th in line, we went up to 8th when the truck opened cause security kicked folks out who she didn't recognized waiting up front. 
  • GlowGirl said:
    I can only speak for myself about taking the time to camp out in the GA line. I usually plan for it ahead of time in terms of taking vacation days from work. I also work remotely, so I have brought my laptop and worked in the GA line using either my hotspot, or the venue wifi. I see a lot of people doing that as well. So, it can be done. I know it is not for everyone - but I really enjoy the time spent with friends camping out. I wouldn't have met 1/2 the people I am now friends with had I not done this for the last several tours. For me it is a big part of the whole touring around experience.
    That's a good idea. I work remote too but I just know if I tried to do that in line, it would end up being the busiest day of the year lol
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
    What do you do with the laptop during the show?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    What do you do with the laptop during the show?
    I either put it in someone's car, or run it back to the hotel. I usually try to get a hotel within walking distance of the venue.

Ahhhh… I thought you had to hold on to it during the show.  😂

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,256
    on2legs said:
    Ahhhh… I thought you had to hold on to it during the show.  😂
    How did you think people relayed the setlist? Cellular phone?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,455
    demetrios said:

I'm the op of this and I'm really questioning how the same people can win a lottery for GA for so many shows. Even if there are 20 people sharing tickets that still makes your odds of winning GA for Philly and New York especially low.  Something isn't right if the same people are ending up with GA tickets for every show no matter how much sharing they are doing.   If they want to line up for a day and leave before the last song to line up for the next show i'm fine with that. that's their prerogative.  there is just no way,  unless they have some kind of in, where they are continually winning the lottery for GA, especially in the NE.  That's kind of my question especially since GA was put in because the same people were ending up front with the seniority aspect.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,910
    edited October 14
    pjhawks said:
    So during both Philly shows this year ED pointed out how some of the people up front have been to a lot of shows and it a lot of different locations.  how is this possible with the lottery?  What really are the chances of the same people getting picked for GA over and over and over again?  The odds of the same people winning over and over have to be very minimal.

I'm the op of this and I'm really questioning how the same people can win a lottery for GA for so many shows. Even if there are 20 people sharing tickets that still makes your odds of winning GA for Philly and New York especially low.  Something isn't right if the same people are ending up with GA tickets for every show no matter how much sharing they are doing.   If they want to line up for a day and leave before the last song to line up for the next show i'm fine with that. that's their prerogative.  there is just no way,  unless they have some kind of in, where they are continually winning the lottery for GA, especially in the NE.  That's kind of my question especially since GA was put in because the same people were ending up front with the seniority aspect.
    My sense is that most of the crew who are on the rail for many shows aren't winning them in the lottery, for the most part. (I heard one guy got GA in the lottery for like 7 shows, but that's certainly not the case for most). A lot of hustling for trades, spares, etc. And if all else fails, fooling the security guard at the GA entrance by wearing a bunch of wristbands from prior shows. 

I did rail for six straight shows from Missoula through MSG 2. (Did not get any GA in the lottery). I would usually show up midday the day before the show. MSG gave out numbers in the morning which reduced the time in line. Did enough work between show days to keep up and was able to take breaks for conference calls, etc. Once my streak ended I decided to just show up a couple of hours before doors and was still 2nd or 3rd near the middle. Getting rail might not be worth the time for most but I think it's worth doing at least once. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    pjhawks said:
    demetrios said:

Many of the people you see on the rail did not get their GA in the lottery. In fact lots of people line up without even having a ticket yet. They spend all day trying on F2F, Facebook, trading with friends, etc. I didn't get any of my GA in the lottery. However, I have really nice friends on here who either offered me their spare, or included me in a trade, etc. I got my Fenway GA by putting an ISO in Given to Fly, and a really nice person responded. So, it takes a lot of time and work, but it can be done with perseverance and persistence.

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,938
    GlowGirl said:
    pjhawks said:
    demetrios said:

Many of the people you see on the rail did not get their GA in the lottery. In fact lots of people line up without even having a ticket yet. They spend all day trying on F2F, Facebook, trading with friends, etc. I didn't get any of my GA in the lottery. However, I have really nice friends on here who either offered me their spare, or included me in a trade, etc. I got my Fenway GA by putting an ISO in Given to Fly, and a really nice person responded. So, it takes a lot of time and work, but it can be done with perseverance and persistence.

Glowgirl earns her spot and her tickets for sure.  My issues with the system are not directed at her.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    pjhawks said:
    demetrios said:

Glowgirl earns her spot and her tickets for sure.  My issues with the system are not directed at her.
    Thanks, K!

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,908
    edited October 14
    demetrios said:

You must have been mistaken about who you’ve seen elsewhere because the majority don’t leave the GA line unless it’s to move their vehicle, pack up the car, use the bathroom, grab coffee or food, and change into fresh clothing. You must have also been mistaken about how much time is invested in the GA line because it’s easily 36-48 hours prior to doors open with the aforementioned breaks. This wasn’t the case in Baltimore of course with the line only beginning early day of due to safety concerns. Regardless it seems for the most part the band and Ed especially is thrilled to be interacting with this group of dedicated fans night after night: management and band security are happily on board as well. You’re suggesting surveillance but honestly: who cares? At the end of the day it’s just a small subset of the community that’s still a good subset of people. It doesn’t appear like anyone present is preoccupied with policing the lines unless you’re volunteering?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 277
    I think we averaged 1.5 pit safety stoppages per show this tour, GA might be a thing of the past.
  • pjhawks said:
    demetrios said:

Something definitely weird happened to GA selection at the 2 show cities on the '24 tour - way too many double-GA's. Yes, people are trading, etc. but something was off with the TM process that I hope doesn't happen again, but presume it will.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,753
    DP13 said:
    I think we averaged 1.5 pit safety stoppages per show this tour, GA might be a thing of the past.
    It does seem to be getting worse.  Some folks have gone down during the opening bands...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,455
    DP13 said:
    3 out of 4 shows for me got stopped at 1 point.   Just beyond annoying.  if you can't handle GA don't go into GA.  I don't even try for that reason
  • craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,318
    DP13 said:
    It does seem to be getting worse.  Some folks have gone down during the opening bands...
    Knowing about this one, that is heat/dehyration issue, not safety of GA.. We did have a dude head butted by a woman at Ohana during of all songs, Canonball ( The Breeders) prompting Ed to come on stage to see what was happening. 
  • 100 Pacer said:
    demetrios said:

You must have been mistaken about who you’ve seen elsewhere because the majority don’t leave the GA line unless it’s to move their vehicle, pack up the car, use the bathroom, grab coffee or food, and change into fresh clothing. You must have also been mistaken about how much time is invested in the GA line because it’s easily 36-48 hours prior to doors open with the aforementioned breaks. This wasn’t the case in Baltimore of course with the line only beginning early day of due to safety concerns. Regardless it seems for the most part the band and Ed especially is thrilled to be interacting with this group of dedicated fans night after night: management and band security are happily on board as well. You’re suggesting surveillance but honestly: who cares? At the end of the day it’s just a small subset of the community that’s still a good subset of people. It doesn’t appear like anyone present is preoccupied with policing the lines unless you’re volunteering?
    Ed probably doesn't care who is up front, he will always be happy to interact with whoever is there. And 10C has literally had to intervene with GA lines because hardos were establishing unofficial lists and doing whatever they want day of. I would not be surprised if some of the people involved in that are the ones still on the rail for every show. The line should absolutely be policed because common courtesy is not common anymore. I wouldn't volunteer because I hate dealing with people like that.
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • DP13 said:
    IMO the main problem is that there is way too much time between doors and PJ. It's brutal to stand in the pit for 2 hours before the opener comes on.
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,910
    DP13 said:
    IMO the main problem is that there is way too much time between doors and PJ. It's brutal to stand in the pit for 2 hours before the opener comes on.
    The wait does seem interminable, but that's not making people pass out. Usually the folks going down aren't right up front, so they probably didn't go in right at doors. More likely did a little too much pregaming before heading in without staying hydrated.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,878
    There is no doubt that people are gaming the system for merch and GA. In one form or another it has been going on or many, many  years. People save spots for both lines, try to sneak friends in etc. And I would bet some of the hardcore fans have their entire family sign up for the 10C to have multiple chances at GA tickets. I would guess there is more of that going on than people realize but hopefully fewer than people like @GlowGirl who do it the right way. In all seriousness, what is the penalty for cutting in the GA or merch line? Some people just do not care about others.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,101
    100 Pacer said:
    demetrios said:

Ed probably doesn't care who is up front, he will always be happy to interact with whoever is there. And 10C has literally had to intervene with GA lines because hardos were establishing unofficial lists and doing whatever they want day of. I would not be surprised if some of the people involved in that are the ones still on the rail for every show. The line should absolutely be policed because common courtesy is not common anymore. I wouldn't volunteer because I hate dealing with people like that.
    True. Had someone beligerently insist they were in front of me from out of nowhere. I was like. Okkkkaaay.
    It can get ugly
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,256
    edited October 14
    100 Pacer said:
    demetrios said:

Yeah the fact that it came to this makes me reflexively disbelieve anyone who's like "no one is abusing this system you're not seeing what you claim to have seen"

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/271970/there-is-no-list-number-system-for-10c-ga-lines
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,318
    pjhawks said:
    demetrios said:

Something definitely weird happened to GA selection at the 2 show cities on the '24 tour - way too many double-GA's. Yes, people are trading, etc. but something was off with the TM process that I hope doesn't happen again, but presume it will.
    100% - some folks deny it, but something was definitely amiss. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory