How do same people get GA for so many shows?

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,318
    100 Pacer said:
    demetrios said:
    I saw the same people at the front of the GA line at Wrigley 2 (presumably they lined up after N1) and in the Fenway GA line over 24 hours before the show. What I really want to know is how these people possibly have that much free time

I've seen the same people on the rail for Seattle N1, Seattle N2, Philly N1, Philly N2 & Baltimore who ... were in the early merch line & having a good time @ the Wishlist Foundation Preparties. These folks did not stay the whole time in the GA line for 24 hours. They might of had a tent in the GA line, but the fact they took turns every few hours being in the first 30 or so in the merch line, and having dinner @ the preparty .. isn't right IMO. If 10club management took a photo who were in the first 30 GA folks who go for the rail, then take a photo of the first 30 in the merch line when the truck opens, and take a photo at the pre party ... they will be surprised.
    You must have been mistaken about who you’ve seen elsewhere because the majority don’t leave the GA line unless it’s to move their vehicle, pack up the car, use the bathroom, grab coffee or food, and change into fresh clothing. You must have also been mistaken about how much time is invested in the GA line because it’s easily 36-48 hours prior to doors open with the aforementioned breaks. This wasn’t the case in Baltimore of course with the line only beginning early day of due to safety concerns. Regardless it seems for the most part the band and Ed especially is thrilled to be interacting with this group of dedicated fans night after night: management and band security are happily on board as well. You’re suggesting surveillance but honestly: who cares? At the end of the day it’s just a small subset of the community that’s still a good subset of people. It doesn’t appear like anyone present is preoccupied with policing the lines unless you’re volunteering?
    Ed probably doesn't care who is up front, he will always be happy to interact with whoever is there. And 10C has literally had to intervene with GA lines because hardos were establishing unofficial lists and doing whatever they want day of. I would not be surprised if some of the people involved in that are the ones still on the rail for every show. The line should absolutely be policed because common courtesy is not common anymore. I wouldn't volunteer because I hate dealing with people like that.
    I think he enjoys it honestly. He seemed fairly deliberate with whom he handed items to.

Additionally, people lining up for a day or two treats a story. Helps to make it an "event". The bigger deal things like that are, the more demand it brings in for tickets and especially merch. I don't love it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    edited October 15
    Face palm...do people think there is no way to get tickets outside of the 10c lottery or TM.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,372
    DP13 said:
    I think we averaged 1.5 pit safety stoppages per show this tour, GA might be a thing of the past.
    It does seem to be getting worse.  Some folks have gone down during the opening bands...
    IMO the main problem is that there is way too much time between doors and PJ. It's brutal to stand in the pit for 2 hours before the opener comes on.
    A lot of people sit down. (I'm not one of them, but people all around me were sitting between doors and the opener.) In the spring, it was less than 90 minutes between when you got in and when Deep Sea Diver came on.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,534
    I can't believe this is even a thread. Go .. don't go.
    Queue ... Don't..
    Do one..
    Do loads..

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,938
    pjhawks said:
    DP13 said:
    I think we averaged 1.5 pit safety stoppages per show this tour, GA might be a thing of the past.
    3 out of 4 shows for me got stopped at 1 point.   Just beyond annoying.  if you can't handle GA don't go into GA.  I don't even try for that reason
    I agree with this.  I seldom try GA for this reason.  When I do, I am realistic about what time I think I can get there and have the right energy to not only last for the show but enjoy it.  I am not a person who can do 24 hours or whatever and for sure I would prefer the random #1 wristband approach.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • brewdog123brewdog123 Posts: 654
    phish concerts have a wristband system for general admission floor for a number of years now, and its the same people for the first three rows for entire tours. system is gamed big time and has been from the day they implemented the wristband system.  Phish org said they started the wrist band system because they were tired of people camping out overnight at venue.  For multi night runs, people would legitimately leave during the encore of current show to leave the venue and get in line for the next night's show, think abut that for a second.

its a slippery slope. many phish fans are tired of these rail riders, some so fed up with it, that at this point some wish the floor was ALL assigned seating to eliminate this BS

Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,256
    The jam band people are another thing entirely. I saw My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks years ago. When they opened the gates and we jockeyed for seats I saw a few groups whip out tarps/blankets and duct tape them down to claim large chunks of real estate. My friends told me this was coming from the Phish scene and that they did it at arenas too - "claiming" sections of GA floor.

Not sure how much of that is accurate but what I saw at Red Rocks was in the 90th percentile of obnoxious douchebag behavior I've witnessed in 25 years of concert going.
    this is very accurate. Red rocks is probably the worse venue in the country in terms of "tarping". check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ-IyK4RAs
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
    this is very accurate. Red rocks is probably the worse venue in the country in terms of "tarping". check this:

It pains me to report that this confirms my priors about hippies
    Is this still a thing? I don't understand why venues would put up with that. Don't you start running into capacity issues?
  • this is very accurate. Red rocks is probably the worse venue in the country in terms of "tarping". check this:

Solution: rip that shit up and take the seat. Honestly, what are they going to do about it?
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
    Wrigley 8/31/2024
    Baltimore 9/12/2024
    Fenway 9/15/2024
    telluride bluegrass festival
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pLVuLXSiB8

maybe its a colorado thing? but seriously, it happens nearly at any general admission show (mainly festivals) these days. I have seen more more venues putting up signs of no tarps, no blankets, etc

Solution: rip that shit up and take the seat. Honestly, what are they going to do about it?
    You risk getting into a fight and getting kicked out of the show you paid to see. I'd like to see venues with policies against it so someone with some authority can handle it instead of me.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,010
    The tarp/blanket thing is no longer allowed at Red Rocks.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Wouldn't fly in the UK. It would be just walked on and torn up. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,878
    pjl44 said:
    The jam band people are another thing entirely. I saw My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks years ago. When they opened the gates and we jockeyed for seats I saw a few groups whip out tarps/blankets and duct tape them down to claim large chunks of real estate. My friends told me this was coming from the Phish scene and that they did it at arenas too - "claiming" sections of GA floor.

Not sure how much of that is accurate but what I saw at Red Rocks was in the 90th percentile of obnoxious douchebag behavior I've witnessed in 25 years of concert going.

I was there for those shows and 100% agree. I think it was locals that buy season passes and they do the same thing for every show, popular or not. The same thing happened in the line to get in. It turned me off from that venue for sure. There was definitely a local contingent that had a dialed game plan for the shows and it was super annoying that they claimed huge blocks of space for people that showed up much later. The most entitled behavior I have seen in 40+ years of concert going.
  • I cannot fathom waiting in line all day for a show. Beyond it being a complete waste of time, the sound is terrible up close in GA and there is no view of the lights.  Do people really just want the chance to be covered in Ed's sweat because it's certainly not for an optimal concert experience.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:

I was there for those shows and 100% agree. I think it was locals that buy season passes and they do the same thing for every show, popular or not. The same thing happened in the line to get in. It turned me off from that venue for sure. There was definitely a local contingent that had a dialed game plan for the shows and it was super annoying that they claimed huge blocks of space for people that showed up much later. The most entitled behavior I have seen in 40+ years of concert going.
    The place is beautiful and I'm glad I got to check it out but man so many aspects that would be annoying as shit if that was my local venue
    I cannot fathom waiting in line all day for a show. Beyond it being a complete waste of time, the sound is terrible up close in GA and there is no view of the lights.  Do people really just want the chance to be covered in Ed's sweat because it's certainly not for an optimal concert experience.
    i agree with all this.  In context of Phish, Phish streams every show of theirs for a fee.  These rail riders make it a point to be seen so they can be on the stream/tv. it a huge look at me mentality that is pathetic and gives the "scene" a bad look. these people beyond suck
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,256
    I cannot fathom waiting in line all day for a show. Beyond it being a complete waste of time, the sound is terrible up close in GA and there is no view of the lights.  Do people really just want the chance to be covered in Ed's sweat because it's certainly not for an optimal concert experience.
    I agree too. And I just find it weird that people borderline worship any band/celebrities that you don’t really know and are more than likely never going to be friends with. Like do people think Jeff is going to invite them to his house for a coffee and a skate?  
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 15,010

Although I wouldn't wait all day for it, I think you're selling the experience of being on the rail a little short. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Being on the rail has nothing to do with befriending the band. What an odd analogy 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,455
    Being on the rail has nothing to do with befriending the band. What an odd analogy 
    Sure it does. Would not be surprised at all if the entitlement of one leads to a false belief that the other could happen. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,101
    Nah. I just want picks and stage junk. Skating with JA would be embarrassing for me!
  • halvhalv Posts: 700
    Chrissie Hynde posted this today: 

Hi All!

First of all, thank you to everyone who’s come to see our shows. We’re in the homestretch of this year‘s tour and it’s been a real pleasure. Fantastic cities and fantastic audiences. We’ve had a great time playing for you.

One thing we feel obliged to explain:
    When we go on tour, the whole point of it for the band is that we are playing to a different audience every night.

That’s why we go on tour!

So if we’re in Edinburgh (like we are tonight), we look forward to seeing local faces.
    This is what makes it new for us every night.

We appreciate those of you who follow us and buy tickets for multiple nights, so please don’t be offended if we request you to move out of the front row.

All we are asking is that you give the local fans a chance. This is what keeps it new for us…especially after being on tour for so many months.

See you later !

XCH
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,878
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:

The place is beautiful and I'm glad I got to check it out but man so many aspects that would be annoying as shit if that was my local venue

I had a great time and it is a beautiful place. MMJ was great. Once situated the vibe was cool. I walked in with full two growlers (just held them behind my back) and no one cared. The lining up and the GA experience just rubbed me the wrong way and I am in no hurry to go back. Did you happen to do the MMJ travel package for those shows? Great deal and awesome swag.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,680
    edited October 16
    duplicate
    Post edited by Indifference on

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:

I had a great time and it is a beautiful place. MMJ was great. Once situated the vibe was cool. I walked in with full two growlers (just held them behind my back) and no one cared. The lining up and the GA experience just rubbed me the wrong way and I am in no hurry to go back. Did you happen to do the MMJ travel package for those shows? Great deal and awesome swag.
    I did it in 2015. No travel package - I don't think they were doing those yet. From what I've seen they definitely treat people right with the swag for those things.
  • on2legs said:

Although I wouldn't wait all day for it, I think you're selling the experience of being on the rail a little short. 
    I definitely understand wanting to do it once or twice for the experience.  But doing it all the time is odd considering the sound is much much worse up there than in the rest of the venue. 

And I love that Chrissie Hynde letter!  The problem is Ed has acknowledged the folks getting to the front mostly positively so they will now likely continue to double down.    
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,101
    halv said:
    Chrissie Hynde posted this today: 

Hi All!

First of all, thank you to everyone who’s come to see our shows. We’re in the homestretch of this year‘s tour and it’s been a real pleasure. Fantastic cities and fantastic audiences. We’ve had a great time playing for you.

One thing we feel obliged to explain:
    When we go on tour, the whole point of it for the band is that we are playing to a different audience every night.

That’s why we go on tour!

So if we’re in Edinburgh (like we are tonight), we look forward to seeing local faces.
    This is what makes it new for us every night.

We appreciate those of you who follow us and buy tickets for multiple nights, so please don’t be offended if we request you to move out of the front row.

All we are asking is that you give the local fans a chance. This is what keeps it new for us…especially after being on tour for so many months.

See you later !

XCH
    Imagine waiting all night and Ed asks you to move back. I'd be ticked off!