Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,229
    My kids go to private school,  but I have zero problem paying taxes that fund the local public schools. In fact I advocate for expansion of those schools. Especially as the town I’m in is building more affordable housing. All kids deserve an education and a better education is a benefit to society. Who knows what those kids may go on to do. Start a business, cute a disease. But we’ll all benefit. A rising tide lieges all ships, right? 
    I have no kids and feel the same way. 

If we aren’t investing in the education (and health) of our citizenry, we’re really just a shithole country. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,635

Socrates believed that knowledge was one of the important components of being a good, ethical citizen, and that ignorance was often the cause of unethical actions.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    If you can't see why you should pay for an educated population benefitting society,

Than why should you pay for a bridge or the railway in parts of the country you won't visit?
    Most people don’t have a problem paying, it’s the lack of trust and competence of the government that is the issue. The government wants more of our money for everything. 

The US used to be #1 in education. Now we are 17 or 18 and falling fast. But yeah just keep throwing more money to something to do the same things but only getting worse.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Josh Shapiro
    Well if we shut down the Dept of Education like Trump wants, things will certainly improve. 
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:
    If you can't see why you should pay for an educated population benefitting society,

Than why should you pay for a bridge or the railway in parts of the country you won't visit?
    Most people don’t have a problem paying, it’s the lack of trust and competence of the government that is the issue. The government wants more of our money for everything. 

The US used to be #1 in education. Now we are 17 or 18 and falling fast. But yeah just keep throwing more money to something to do the same things but only getting worse.

also, pretty interesting that the countries ranked higher are more socialized countries. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,709
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:

We have declined because funding has declined. There is a direct correlation. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    edited August 13
    Tim Waltz
    teskeinc said:

also, pretty interesting that the countries ranked higher are more socialized countries. 
    I don’t know what the criteria of ranking is here, and Sweden is all in all a pretty damn good country you should strive to be closer as - but if you count ”results” in school we are far from number 1 and are having our own issues. Just being honest. Finland is often seen over here as an example of the best in the biz
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Josh Shapiro

US News’s main thing is pretty much ranking shit. 

I’m sure there are different metrics depending on who’s looking into it. TBH, if the US is in the top 20 I’m fine. I think dialing into local education issues trying to fix problems is a bigger concern. But for the most part I think the Us educational system is fine. There is waste here and there and there are holes that need funding here and there too. Picking them off locally is the way to go. I don’t know of a big sweeping change that’s going to make everything perfect for always. Certainly eliminating the DOE is not it. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,766
    edited August 13
    Well if we shut down the Dept of Education like Trump wants, things will certainly improve. 
    THIS! Having no oversite of the State's education requirements will only expand the inequity in the quality of education from State to State. The removal of Federal guidelines for special education standards will have a huge impact on the quality of education those students receive. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on

I’m sure there are different metrics depending on who’s looking into it. TBH, if the US is in the top 20 I’m fine. I think dialing into local education issues trying to fix problems is a bigger concern. But for the most part I think the Us educational system is fine. There is waste here and there and there are holes that need funding here and there too. Picking them off locally is the way to go. I don’t know of a big sweeping change that’s going to make everything perfect for always. Certainly eliminating the DOE is not it. 
    Charter schools and magnet schools have made things better. Class sizes are smaller and it’s generally kids that want to be there. Down side is parents are responsible for dropping off and picking up. At least for my kid anyway. I was lucky my kid won a lottery before kindergarten. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    teskeinc said:

Charter schools and magnet schools have made things better. Class sizes are smaller and it’s generally kids that want to be there. Down side is parents are responsible for dropping off and picking up. At least for my kid anyway. I was lucky my kid won a lottery before kindergarten
    Born with the right skin color? Sorry, couldn't resist. Reminded me of a certain PJ song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited August 13
    Tim Waltz
    teskeinc said:

Charter schools and magnet schools have made things better. Class sizes are smaller and it’s generally kids that want to be there. Down side is parents are responsible for dropping off and picking up. At least for my kid anyway. I was lucky my kid won a lottery before kindergarten. 
    But they might be forced to have parents who have no moral qualms about voting for a rapist and know racist for president?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    njhaley1 said:
    I get the idea of shifting the cost of meals and books, etc., to the students. But the end result is that if the parents do not pay then the students are the ones who suffer.

If those costs were spread out amongst everyone (via real estate tax) it would be a minimal cost per property owner and solve a lot of problems.

I always thought it was a stupid idea to give students supply lists as well. How fucking stupid is it for a school corporation that can buy decent school supplies IN BULK at much lower cost then sending thousands of kids out to Target, WalMart, etc., with lists to buy shitty supplies? We always ended up buying the cheapest pencils, pens, folders, etc. 

Increase my real estate tax $10/year and take care of all that shit internally for fucks sake.
    We have that here as well. The problem is that about half the area are retired, half of the rest are young and conservative. We couldn't even pass a bill to increase first responder pay, that's how dyed in the wool some people are. 
    It ticks me off when I hear (quite often) people say they shouldn't have to pay taxes for school services because their kids are all grown up and are no longer part of the school system. Listen, when your kids were in school, there were people who no longer had kids in school paying to ensure that your kids got a quality education. Now it is your turn.   
    People are under the impression that what they pay in taxes covers their usage. If it costs $10k a year for schooling one kid, and you had four kids go through 12 years of public school, it’s unlikely you paid half a million in taxes (part of your state income tax and property tax) over those years your kids were in school to cover it. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    teskeinc said:

The US was never #1. If you’re going to pull info from tge past to make a present day argument, that infi has to be accurate. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    I get the idea of shifting the cost of meals and books, etc., to the students. But the end result is that if the parents do not pay then the students are the ones who suffer.

If those costs were spread out amongst everyone (via real estate tax) it would be a minimal cost per property owner and solve a lot of problems.

I always thought it was a stupid idea to give students supply lists as well. How fucking stupid is it for a school corporation that can buy decent school supplies IN BULK at much lower cost then sending thousands of kids out to Target, WalMart, etc., with lists to buy shitty supplies? We always ended up buying the cheapest pencils, pens, folders, etc. 

Increase my real estate tax $10/year and take care of all that shit internally for fucks sake.
    The problem is that money will most likely never go to classroom supplies. It will go towards building programs (some useful, some not), or supplying computers for students. The people in charge will almost always leave it up to the teachers to get basic supplies like Kleenex. Which is why teachers put it on their list, because if kids don't bring it in they buy it out of pocket. The superintendent and school board don't look good and brag about Kleenex in the classroom the way a new scoreboard on the field does, or supplying every kid with a tablet, or updating technology in the classroom, etc. 
    As a secondary teacher we never give out lists and I have always had to buy Kleenex for the classroom. Even when the school supplies it, it's never enough. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,709
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:

The problem is that money will most likely never go to classroom supplies. It will go towards building programs (some useful, some not), or supplying computers for students. The people in charge will almost always leave it up to the teachers to get basic supplies like Kleenex. Which is why teachers put it on their list, because if kids don't bring it in they buy it out of pocket. The superintendent and school board don't look good and brag about Kleenex in the classroom the way a new scoreboard on the field does, or supplying every kid with a tablet, or updating technology in the classroom, etc. 
    As a secondary teacher we never give out lists and I have always had to buy Kleenex for the classroom. Even when the school supplies it, it's never enough. 
    I'm sorry that you have to do that. That kind of shit drives me insane.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    mace1229 said:

It's actually not a huge deal to me. I'll spend like $12 a year buying a 10-pack of Kleenex boxes on sale at the beginning of the year. And just put one out about every other week. Kids will tear through it in a couple days then realize they don't get more until I feel like putting more out, then they learn to not waste it. 
    There's just so much wasted money in education. Schools don't always save money buying in bulk either. They have contracts with certain companies and their products never go on sale. Back to school sales can be cheaper than what the school would pay for a lot of things. 
    When you shop at places like Amazon, which a lot of schools do, they will have a cap of 4 or 5 of items to buy so schools don't get their prices. Ran into that getting a class set of calculators, they were $10 each. But had a limit of 4. If I wanted 20, I had to pay the full retail price of $15 each. I don't use my own money for that, we get a department budget every year. Calculators were about half my budget that year. 
    Tim Waltz
    why would the teacher buy that?

My brother is a teacher. He isn’t scrolling through amazon buying pens and rulers…
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It's actually not a huge deal to me. I'll spend like $12 a year buying a 10-pack of Kleenex boxes on sale at the beginning of the year. And just put one out about every other week. Kids will tear through it in a couple days then realize they don't get more until I feel like putting more out, then they learn to not waste it. 
    There's just so much wasted money in education. Schools don't always save money buying in bulk either. They have contracts with certain companies and their products never go on sale. Back to school sales can be cheaper than what the school would pay for a lot of things. 
    When you shop at places like Amazon, which a lot of schools do, they will have a cap of 4 or 5 of items to buy so schools don't get their prices. Ran into that getting a class set of calculators, they were $10 each. But had a limit of 4. If I wanted 20, I had to pay the full retail price of $15 each. I don't use my own money for that, we get a department budget every year. Calculators were about half my budget that year. 
    Teachers buying that kind of stuff (Kleenex, Lysol, clorox wipes) is total BS.  And you’re 150% correct about the amount of money wasted in public schools.  Such an under appreciated profession and don’t even start about the pay.  Superintendents making $150,000 or more around me to do basically nothing (watched it with my own two eyes).  
     I appreciate teachers the same as doctors….its a calling.  
    “They’re going to turn the Midwest into Mogadishu.” Sure, Herr Miller, sure.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-n6KJxR0Xm/?igsh=dDg1ZmF3bDRwaWs2
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    teskeinc said:

well, we are number 1 in school shootings, and holding, so there's that.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    could it be that we are spending more money on securing schools than actually educating the children? it is expensive to educate one child, as someone pointed out earlier, but security is not cheap. i would assume that is coming out of the school's money for actually educating the kids??

why would we not consider doing something about the guns? seems to be an easier option. keep the money in the classroom where it is supposed to be?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    could it be that we are spending more money on securing schools than actually educating the children? it is expensive to educate one child, as someone pointed out earlier, but security is not cheap. i would assume that is coming out of the school's money for actually educating the kids??

why would we not consider doing something about the guns? seems to be an easier option. keep the money in the classroom where it is supposed to be?
    It’s your big government at work. If you give them more money they will find a way to waste it. I buy a $75 box every summer from a company that ships it to my kids class and is there at his desk on the first day. Occasionally a teacher will message that the class needs copy paper or something else. 

Schools get X amount of dollars per student. Last I read it was about $5000 per kid per school year.
    teskeinc said:

It’s your big government at work. If you give them more money they will find a way to waste it. I buy a $75 box every summer from a company that ships it to my kids class and is there at his desk on the first day. Occasionally a teacher will message that the class needs copy paper or something else. 

Schools get X amount of dollars per student. Last I read it was about $5000 per kid per school year.
    Hmmmm, sure. When was that? 1972?

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2024/public-school-spending-per-pupil.html

https://educationdata.org/public-education-spending-statistics

Brilliantati©
    edited August 14
     https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/nevada/districts/state-sponsored-charter-schools-104595

That’s Nevada and my kid goes to a state sponsored charter school. It’s $6k 
    Post edited by teskeinc on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2024/public-school-spending-per-pupil.html

Approximately twenty years ago, when I was trying to put my kids, including my special-needs child, in our local public school in California, the state was giving schools something like $7000 - $8000/ student. Since appropriate accommodations for one of my children would have cost up to $60,000/year, I was told to take both of my children, go home, and never darken the school's door again. Was this illegal? Oh, yes, absolutely. Was it a purely financial decision? Yep. Was it an isolated incident? Not really; I sat in meetings where school principals and superintendents boasted of how they had found "accommodations" for students with extra needs that saved thousands of dollars, pushed much of the burden back onto the parents, and did at best the bare minimum for the child. It was enraging.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    teskeinc said:
    “Very fine people, on both sides.”

Brilliantati©
    teskeinc said:

Approximately twenty years ago, when I was trying to put my kids, including my special-needs child, in our local public school in California, the state was giving schools something like $7000 - $8000/ student. Since appropriate accommodations for one of my children would have cost up to $60,000/year, I was told to take both of my children, go home, and never darken the school's door again. Was this illegal? Oh, yes, absolutely. Was it a purely financial decision? Yep. Was it an isolated incident? Not really; I sat in meetings where school principals and superintendents boasted of how they had found "accommodations" for students with extra needs that saved thousands of dollars, pushed much of the burden back onto the parents, and did at best the bare minimum for the child. It was enraging.
    I remember when I went to high school how all the special needs students were grouped together in one classroom and how the only interaction with the rest of the student body was at lunch time in the cafeteria. Now, special needs kids are integrated with the regular students up through high school in some states and are much more a part of the school community. I hear you on the “being enraged” part and I knew parents who had special needs children and they, and others, advocated and agitated and fought for inclusion and resources. Not easy but it seemed those parents who were most active got better education for their kids. To me, it seemed so unfair and exhausting. And not right. You strike me as someone who tried to do their best for their child and that’s admirable because by helping yours, you helped the kids that came later. I also see a lot more compassion and empathy from the kids that wasn’t as prevalent when I was growing up. Change takes time, sometimes too much time.

Brilliantati©
    why would the teacher buy that?

My brother is a teacher. He isn’t scrolling through amazon buying pens and rulers…
    Because if I don't have Kleenex, where do you think all the snot and boogers go? Kids just don't not get runny noses if there's no Kleenex.
    I also buy a box of golf pencils for about $8 and that lasts a year for kids who don't bring one. It's just easier to spend $8 than to deal with kids all year not working because they forgot a pencil. Because when they're not working, it's a headache for me. 
    That and a bundle of Clorox wipes on rebate at Costco are about all I buy. If $10 on Clorox wipes keeps me from getting sick once or twice a year, it's money well spent for me. It's all about making my life easier. If it doesn't, I won't spend my money on it.