Kamala Harris VEEP Pick

Comments

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I’m enjoying the weird show.

AMT has become the weird show.  It used to be a great place to talk about current events.  No more.  I'm done with this place. 
    lol...see you tomorrow

No, seriously  Gern, I'm over it.  I'm even seriously consider not renewing my PJ membership next time it comes due.
     AMT and Other Music and sometimes The Porch are the main reasons I've maintained membership here.  Since I joined the Steve Hoffman forums , I get plenty of interaction about music there (and they have a fully functioning ignore option) and I can always lurk Other Music, AET, and The Porch here without a membership.  But unless these forums add an improved "Ignore" function that works properly, I don't have the time or patience to sift through the bullshit from the very few people whose only purpose for being here is to troll and/or "entertain themselves" (how weak is that!), and who dominate this site with their endless bating.  If I were able to block those people, I would be happy to stay here.  But these thread are saturated with ghosted images of the people I put on ignore and their comments show up anyway because y'all keep quoting them.
    Sorry folks.  You know I love a bunch of you, but I'm over it.
    I apologize if I’ve contributed to your feelings, however, it’s important to get opinions/thoughts from some older folks 😉 folks from other countries, people of various age groups (all the black pj members quit posting), etc.  
    Sometimes it just helps to let it all go silent for a bit.  I hope you don’t quit.  I neglected my participation in making the earth healthier when I was younger so who’s going to teach me about it if you quit…just don’t quit.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,713
    Josh Shapiro
    I don't let any of this bother me. Especially since we're all anonymous.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

AMT has become the weird show.  It used to be a great place to talk about current events.  No more.  I'm done with this place. 
    lol...see you tomorrow

No, seriously  Gern, I'm over it.  I'm even seriously consider not renewing my PJ membership next time it comes due.
     AMT and Other Music and sometimes The Porch are the main reasons I've maintained membership here.  Since I joined the Steve Hoffman forums , I get plenty of interaction about music there (and they have a fully functioning ignore option) and I can always lurk Other Music, AET, and The Porch here without a membership.  But unless these forums add an improved "Ignore" function that works properly, I don't have the time or patience to sift through the bullshit from the very few people whose only purpose for being here is to troll and/or "entertain themselves" (how weak is that!), and who dominate this site with their endless bating.  If I were able to block those people, I would be happy to stay here.  But these thread are saturated with ghosted images of the people I put on ignore and their comments show up anyway because y'all keep quoting them.
    I apologize if I’ve contributed to your feelings, however, it’s important to get opinions/thoughts from some older folks 😉 folks from other countries, people of various age groups (all the black pj members quit posting), etc.  
    Sometimes it just helps to let it all go silent for a bit.  I hope you don’t quit.  I neglected my participation in making the earth healthier when I was younger so who’s going to teach me about it if you quit…just don’t quit.  

Oh, no C, no way!  I appreciate the heck out of you!  :heart:            
    Maybe you're right, just a break, we'll see.  Like I said, a true ignore feature here would help.  I would never see half the posts here which would be fine by me.  I would always see yours and other whom I respect here (which is most off you), but I would not see your post if you quoted someone I ignore.  That's OK too because I would see all your other posts. A good ignore feature is a most excellent way to go!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The Teskiniec post highlights everything that’s wrong with the political discourse in the US right now (probably the world too). Everybody has an opinion about feminine hygiene products in boys bathrooms, whether they care or if it affects them or not. Save the people it actually affects, it’s not a real issue. But economic policy IS a real issue that affects all of us at almost every level. But it’s complex to talk about and it’s not fun or visceral unlike getting pissed about free tampons. It’s easier to have an opinion about tampons and politicians and the cable media 2ants us to talk about that because it gets eyeballs and prevents us from talking bout not sexy issues like monetary policy. 

This leads to the culture shit and uninformed opinions and allows con artists like Trump or MAGA or Hannity or whoever to manipulate people s opinions. 
    How many people does putting tampons in bathrooms actually help though? We're talking about females who identify/transitioned into males, who aren't taking any medication that would prevent their period, and who rely on school for period products. I have no idea, but that's got to be a really low number, like 0.1% of the population who fits all that?
    So instead of telling that maybe 1 student who would actually use the tampons in the boys bathroom to go to the counseling office or nurse instead, the answer is to put tampons everywhere.
    Just seems like a huge waste of money to install and maintain dispensers when no one probably even needs it anyway. Especially starting in the 4th grade. If they were around when I was in high school I'm sure the game would be how many tampons can you tie to your friends backpack without them noticing. And they'd probably run out faster in the boys room than the girls. Just seems like a waste of money and a wrong area of focus when there's so many other things in education that deserve attention and when alternate solutions are available. 
    asking people to sacrifice their privacy isn't the answer either. If it helps even one kid feel "normal", then I'm all for it. 
    To me it just seems more like the coddling of our kids and not expecting anything from them. Some schools don't offer premium or catered lunches now because it would hurt the feelings of those on free school lunch and the Pizza Hut line doesn't qualify for free lunch, so now no kid gets Pizza Hut because it might hurt someone's feelings to watch someone else eat pizza. The amount that we hold the hands of kids is a little sad these days. We make regulations for an entire district so that 1 kid doesn't have to go to the nurse to ask for a tampon. It's part of life, I don't see it as doing any favors for kids when we coddle them so much. I had huge 1/2" thick glasses ever since I was in first grade. Should we have made every kid wear glasses so I didn't feel isolated? No, you learn to live with it and move on. It's not like anyone is saying deny necessities to any of these kids. Its the idea that there might maybe be one kid in the 11th grade who uses a tampon and prefers the male bathroom, so lets stock every bathroom from 4th grade on up with them instead of explaining to that one kid here's the situation, here's how we accommodate you and here's how you can help yourself in this situation. 
    You seem focused on the "1 kid" being the reason behind such a thing. It is really far beyond that.

When my kids were in elementary school and their lunch money ran out they got a PBJ sandwich. So anyone eating a PBJ got the scarlet letter of "poor" or whatever that day or days until their lunch money account got replenished. I exaggerate a bit but it was always a bit embarrassing for them when that happened.

But by taking the attitude that changes are made because it might hurt "someone's" feelings I think is a bit shallow. Changes are made because it benefits the group overall for whatever reason.

It reminds me of visiting my son in third or fourth grade at school and having lunch with him. We all get our lunch and sit at the table and literally 2-3 kids at our table weren't eating. I didn't think much about it at first but then about 5 minutes in this cart gets wheeled out and kids line up to buy bags of popcorn, potato chips, those sugar filled barrels of fake fruit drink, etc. It was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen for kids to push aside a decent nutritious lunch for garbage. And we came to find out that the PTA was the beneficiary of the funds from this bullshit. Luckily that only lasted a year or so. And the school was so full of kids that they only had about 15 minutes to grab lunch, sit, eat, clear out so the next group could come in. I think we ate lunch at like 1030 that day which was another surprise to me.
    How many kids do you think benefit from having period products in boys bathrooms? We're talking about trans boys who aren't taking medicine to suppress their period (which is very common, even for non trans), who regularly use the boys bathroom, and who rely on the school system for those products. I wouldn't be surprised if not even 1 kid in my district fit that bill. So yeah, it's a big program for a problem that might not even exist. 

And yeah, it sucks that some kids get labeled poor. But, some kids come from poor families. They don't need a PB&J sandwich to get that label. Kids know who were $200 shoes and $80 shorts and who doesn't. We don't need to limit food options for the entire school because of that. Kids know who wears Lulu Lemon and who wears hand me downs. Are we going to band high end clothing to make everyone feel equal?

I agree with the bolded. I just don't believe the changes have the desired effect. I don't think it helps kids in the long run to shelter them. At least not in middle school and beyond. Sure, it may be hard sometimes to see your friends get a better lunch. But I don't think it benefits anyone in the long run to take away the more desirable options because of it. 

And this is coming from someone who was often labeled poor. My parents are financially well off now, but that is partially because they were so tight when I was young. Most of my clothes were given to us from a family of 3 boys, and I was the youngest of 2. So most of my clothes had gone through multiple kids before it got to me. I remember being so excited getting my first (and only) pair of Rebok pumps. They were well used by the time I got them and out of style. I remember pumping them up in PE class and other kids teasing me because that fad was 2 years late. I got teased in woodshod because I made a cassette holder when everyone else made a CD holder. Its one of the reason I still like vinyl, because I remember going to garage sales and buying used vinyl for 25 cents back when no one wanted vinyl. And I wouldn't change any of it. Everyone is different in their own way. Back then we were taught no one was different, so much that each class was only made up of Mike, Jason and Steve because parents didn't want to kid their kids a different name.
    But its okay to let kids struggle, to feel different/ Its ok to let them figure out how to advocate for themselves, to solve their own problems, and to eat PB&J when everyone else is ordering pizza. 

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,230
    How many boys’ bathrooms in MN even have feminine hygiene products? 

& not for nothing, but people should start another thread if this discussion is that important to them. The law Walz signed made no mention of bathrooms - only that districts needed to come up w/ a distribution program. All this hysteria over the boys’ room is another red herring intended to rile people up over the trans issue (mission accomplished). 
    Josh Shapiro
    But here again part of the argument relates to the boys bathrooms...I'm not convinced there was much of that. The law did not require it and as the ABC article stated that I posted, it was totally up to the schools as to where they put them. Maybe if a school system was allocated extra machines they opted to put them in boys rooms. Who knows?

But yeah your story sounds familiar. I used to always wear Traxx tennis shoes from KMart. They fucking had four stripes instead of three (Adidas) LOL. I remember getting my first pair of Nikes and being so proud of them. At some point the shoe split between the sole and big toe so my Dad bought this tube of shoe-goo and glopped it all over the toe to seal the tear. That was fucking embarrassing. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The Teskiniec post highlights everything that’s wrong with the political discourse in the US right now (probably the world too). Everybody has an opinion about feminine hygiene products in boys bathrooms, whether they care or if it affects them or not. Save the people it actually affects, it’s not a real issue. But economic policy IS a real issue that affects all of us at almost every level. But it’s complex to talk about and it’s not fun or visceral unlike getting pissed about free tampons. It’s easier to have an opinion about tampons and politicians and the cable media 2ants us to talk about that because it gets eyeballs and prevents us from talking bout not sexy issues like monetary policy. 

This leads to the culture shit and uninformed opinions and allows con artists like Trump or MAGA or Hannity or whoever to manipulate people s opinions. 
    How many people does putting tampons in bathrooms actually help though? We're talking about females who identify/transitioned into males, who aren't taking any medication that would prevent their period, and who rely on school for period products. I have no idea, but that's got to be a really low number, like 0.1% of the population who fits all that?
    So instead of telling that maybe 1 student who would actually use the tampons in the boys bathroom to go to the counseling office or nurse instead, the answer is to put tampons everywhere.
    Just seems like a huge waste of money to install and maintain dispensers when no one probably even needs it anyway. Especially starting in the 4th grade. If they were around when I was in high school I'm sure the game would be how many tampons can you tie to your friends backpack without them noticing. And they'd probably run out faster in the boys room than the girls. Just seems like a waste of money and a wrong area of focus when there's so many other things in education that deserve attention and when alternate solutions are available. 
    asking people to sacrifice their privacy isn't the answer either. If it helps even one kid feel "normal", then I'm all for it. 
    To me it just seems more like the coddling of our kids and not expecting anything from them. Some schools don't offer premium or catered lunches now because it would hurt the feelings of those on free school lunch and the Pizza Hut line doesn't qualify for free lunch, so now no kid gets Pizza Hut because it might hurt someone's feelings to watch someone else eat pizza. The amount that we hold the hands of kids is a little sad these days. We make regulations for an entire district so that 1 kid doesn't have to go to the nurse to ask for a tampon. It's part of life, I don't see it as doing any favors for kids when we coddle them so much. I had huge 1/2" thick glasses ever since I was in first grade. Should we have made every kid wear glasses so I didn't feel isolated? No, you learn to live with it and move on. It's not like anyone is saying deny necessities to any of these kids. Its the idea that there might maybe be one kid in the 11th grade who uses a tampon and prefers the male bathroom, so lets stock every bathroom from 4th grade on up with them instead of explaining to that one kid here's the situation, here's how we accommodate you and here's how you can help yourself in this situation. 
    You seem focused on the "1 kid" being the reason behind such a thing. It is really far beyond that.

When my kids were in elementary school and their lunch money ran out they got a PBJ sandwich. So anyone eating a PBJ got the scarlet letter of "poor" or whatever that day or days until their lunch money account got replenished. I exaggerate a bit but it was always a bit embarrassing for them when that happened.

But by taking the attitude that changes are made because it might hurt "someone's" feelings I think is a bit shallow. Changes are made because it benefits the group overall for whatever reason.

It reminds me of visiting my son in third or fourth grade at school and having lunch with him. We all get our lunch and sit at the table and literally 2-3 kids at our table weren't eating. I didn't think much about it at first but then about 5 minutes in this cart gets wheeled out and kids line up to buy bags of popcorn, potato chips, those sugar filled barrels of fake fruit drink, etc. It was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen for kids to push aside a decent nutritious lunch for garbage. And we came to find out that the PTA was the beneficiary of the funds from this bullshit. Luckily that only lasted a year or so. And the school was so full of kids that they only had about 15 minutes to grab lunch, sit, eat, clear out so the next group could come in. I think we ate lunch at like 1030 that day which was another surprise to me.
    How many kids do you think benefit from having period products in boys bathrooms? We're talking about trans boys who aren't taking medicine to suppress their period (which is very common, even for non trans), who regularly use the boys bathroom, and who rely on the school system for those products. I wouldn't be surprised if not even 1 kid in my district fit that bill. So yeah, it's a big program for a problem that might not even exist. 

If people are asking for it, it exists. Sure, maybe its for .5% of all MN kids, but who is it hurting to have them accessible? 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    Josh Shapiro
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

If people are asking for it, it exists. Sure, maybe its for .5% of all MN kids, but who is it hurting to have them accessible? 
    A lot of magas' feelings, apparently...
    www.myspace.com
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    Roy Cooper
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

A lot of magas' feelings, apparently...
    I laughed because it's true.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Josh Shapiro
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

lol...see you tomorrow

Oh, no C, no way!  I appreciate the heck out of you!  :heart:            
    Maybe you're right, just a break, we'll see.  Like I said, a true ignore feature here would help.  I would never see half the posts here which would be fine by me.  I would always see yours and other whom I respect here (which is most off you), but I would not see your post if you quoted someone I ignore.  That's OK too because I would see all your other posts. A good ignore feature is a most excellent way to go!
    I have 1 person on ignore.  Just 1.  Cause if I didn;t I'd get banned.  I do see their posts as quotes from time to time...and I think about unblocking so I can engage...so far I've been strong enough to ignore it and keep them blocked.  It is a much better experience for me.  

I do think that if you ignore list has to get beyond 3-4...then you probably should take a break.  I've done it before.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    teskeinc said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Imagine kids eating kale? The horrors! In a nation where approximately 42-46% of the population is considered obese.
    Kale goes in the trash 95% of the time. Kids aren’t eating that. 

I remember the Project 2025 doomsdayers posting Trump wants to eliminate free lunches in schools as a talking point…. Well free lunches ended today at my kids school. I guess they know Trump is going to win and just started that part early. 🤷🏻‍♂️

95% of the time?  Did Alex Jones provide you that number?
    I’m very sorry but I actually have to agree with the kale statement.  That is true.  I was a FSD when the Obama regulations took place.  It was the right thing to do but too drastic a change in a short time.  But I had an autistic kindergartner who would eat everyone’s spinach at the table.  Nothing else..just spinach!  Kids are the best humans.   
    Josh Shapiro
    teskeinc said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

lol...see you tomorrow

When someone posts they block people or ignore they don’t. I said this a few weeks ago. Sometimes it’s hard to express your views with those that differ from your own. That’s OK. Like you said there’s plenty of forums that only allow people that think the same and look to validate each other without opposition. Best of luck you Brian!
     Wait. Do you think your posts are good faith arguing the other side of the general opinion around here? 
    Josh Shapiro
    I get the idea of shifting the cost of meals and books, etc., to the students. But the end result is that if the parents do not pay then the students are the ones who suffer.

If those costs were spread out amongst everyone (via real estate tax) it would be a minimal cost per property owner and solve a lot of problems.

I always thought it was a stupid idea to give students supply lists as well. How fucking stupid is it for a school corporation that can buy decent school supplies IN BULK at much lower cost then sending thousands of kids out to Target, WalMart, etc., with lists to buy shitty supplies? We always ended up buying the cheapest pencils, pens, folders, etc. 

Increase my real estate tax $10/year and take care of all that shit internally for fucks sake.

• njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 736
    I get the idea of shifting the cost of meals and books, etc., to the students. But the end result is that if the parents do not pay then the students are the ones who suffer.

If those costs were spread out amongst everyone (via real estate tax) it would be a minimal cost per property owner and solve a lot of problems.

I always thought it was a stupid idea to give students supply lists as well. How fucking stupid is it for a school corporation that can buy decent school supplies IN BULK at much lower cost then sending thousands of kids out to Target, WalMart, etc., with lists to buy shitty supplies? We always ended up buying the cheapest pencils, pens, folders, etc. 

Increase my real estate tax $10/year and take care of all that shit internally for fucks sake.
    We have that here as well. The problem is that about half the area are retired, half of the rest are young and conservative. We couldn't even pass a bill to increase first responder pay, that's how dyed in the wool some people are. 
    edited August 13
    Josh Shapiro
    njhaley1 said:

We have that here as well. The problem is that about half the area are retired, half of the rest are young and conservative. We couldn't even pass a bill to increase first responder pay, that's how dyed in the wool some people are. 
    oh I get it...it would be a battle around here as well. My main point is that it's just a stupid way to do things.

To me it's the same argument as police/fire/library....I don't use any of them but I pay for them. (gladly)

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,641
    There is no “common” good, anymore.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Josh Shapiro
    My kids are all out of school now but I remember it being a giant pain in the ass...and I can imagine the book fees especially would be hard for some people to cough up. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    Tim Waltz
    In Sweden you don't pay for the books or for the lunches

It's Tim Walz...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,766
    njhaley1 said:

It ticks me off when I hear (quite often) people say they shouldn't have to pay taxes for school services because their kids are all grown up and are no longer part of the school system. Listen, when your kids were in school, there were people who no longer had kids in school paying to ensure that your kids got a quality education. Now it is your turn.   
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    Mark Kelly
    njhaley1 said:

It ticks me off when I hear (quite often) people say they shouldn't have to pay taxes for school services because their kids are all grown up and are no longer part of the school system. Listen, when your kids were in school, there were people who no longer had kids in school paying to ensure that your kids got a quality education. Now it is your turn.   
    I never had kids...give me my money back!

(Kidding, of course)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    njhaley1 said:

I homeschooled my kids. I still paid my taxes even though the school district refused -- yes, refused -- to educate my kids. One would think that the benefits of good public schools would be obvious to everyone, not just those who use them. I think that, once again, it comes down to selfishness: I'm only concerned with what's in it for me; I want what's mine, and if I can get even more than my fair share, that's great, and to hell with everyone else. That's... not how society works. 
    Again, I'm not a progressive, or a socialist, but why do we live in social groups if not to protect the young, the sick, and the elderly? 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Josh Shapiro
    OnWis97 said:
    njhaley1 said:

I never had kids...give me my money back!

(Kidding, of course)

You kid, but I knew someone who filed fraudulent claims of workplace injury to get larger Social Security payments (disclaimer: I have no experience with Social Security, workers' comp, etc. so it's possible that I've mislabeled things). They then showed others, who had also sustained injuries in accidents unrelated to their jobs, how to do the same thing. Their justification: "That's MY money, and I want it back!" I think it's more likely that that was my money, honestly.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Josh Shapiro

It's Tim Walz...

Yes you do, just a different way.  Always find it weird when people think they are getting stuff like this for free.  Well, maybe YOU are getting something for free, but only cause someone else is paying it.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited August 13
    Tim Waltz

It's Tim Walz...

Yes you do, just a different way.  Always find it weird when people think they are getting stuff like this for free.  Well, maybe YOU are getting something for free, but only cause someone else is paying it.
    Always find it weird when people don't realize that using free in this context is a common and standard shorthand, and people are in fact fully aware that it is being paid for by taxes.

But sure, I can change how I express myself :)

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,479
    Mark Kelly
    I wonder if the Swedish really do pay higher taxes than us. When you add in local, state, sales, property, gas, don't know what else I'm forgetting.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    edited August 13
    Josh Shapiro
    My kids go to private school,  but I have zero problem paying taxes that fund the local public schools. In fact I advocate for expansion of those schools. Especially as the town I’m in is building more affordable housing. All kids deserve an education and a better education is a benefit to society. Who knows what those kids may go on to do. Start a business, cure a disease. But we’ll all benefit. A rising tide raises all ships, right? 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    My kids go to private school,  but I have zero problem paying taxes that fund the local public schools. In fact I advocate for expansion of those schools. Especially as the town I’m in is building more affordable housing. All kids deserve an education and a better education is a benefit to society. Who knows what those kids may go on to do. Start a business, cute a disease. But we’ll all benefit. A rising tide lieges all ships, right? 
    I applaud you for this mindset, I wish more people felt this way. 
    njhaley1 said:

I homeschooled my kids. I still paid my taxes even though the school district refused -- yes, refused -- to educate my kids. One would think that the benefits of good public schools would be obvious to everyone, not just those who use them. I think that, once again, it comes down to selfishness: I'm only concerned with what's in it for me; I want what's mine, and if I can get even more than my fair share, that's great, and to hell with everyone else. That's... not how society works. 
    Again, I'm not a progressive, or a socialist, but why do we live in social groups if not to protect the young, the sick, and the elderly? 

It seems like empathy and caring for people has been generally pushed to the side in today's reality. You still see it in small doses, but it is not universal by any means. 
    edited August 13
    Tim Waltz
    If you can't see why you should pay for an educated population benefitting society,

Than why should you pay for a bridge or the railway in parts of the country you won't visit?