** KAMALA HARRIS FOR PRESIDENT -PART DEUX **

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,506
    teskeinc said:
    This is Autumn Cordellione, he strangled a 11 month old baby to death. He is serving 55 years in prison  He wants a sex-change operation in prison. In Kamala’s America he/she/it gets one……on the American tax-payers dime. It’s not medically necessary, it’s an elective ($100,000) procedure. 

Or... we can vote for someone who encouraged a mob to attack the Capitol.  Easy call which is worse.

• This is comparing apples and oranges.

A clearly disturbed person committed a heinous crime and is serving a lengthy prison sentence for that crime. Yet, because this is the US, they still have certain rights, and they are trying to exercise those rights. This is a good thing. It is good and proper and American that even people convicted of the most horrific felonies still have some rights and protections! This isn't Russia! Who here is the least bit exercised about the man executed tonight by the state of Missouri, despite many assertions that he was innocent? Are we okay with that? I'm not!  

On the other hand, we have a clearly disturbed person who has been convicted of some crimes, charged with dozens more, and has yet to be charged with others -- fraud, sexual assault, etc. They also mishandled a pandemic, leading to hundreds of thousands of excess deaths; invoked a mob and attempted to overthrow democracy; and, if re-elected, would cause millions of people in a free country to lose their freedom and or their lives; would do the same to the people in Gaza; would attempt to deport and/or detain millions of immigrants in this country; would use the levers of government to persecute and prosecute his perceived enemies; would attempt to stifle a free press; would deprive half of the country's citizens of their bodily autonomy; would weaken if not outright destroy international alliances and threaten global stability; has a life-long record of bullying, racism, misogyny, and fraud.

I wouldn't want to interact with either of these people. They both pose a threat to society. But that's where the similarity ends. In the first case, that looks to me a lot like the system working the way it should. In the latter -- wow.

Enough with the ingenuousness.  I'm a small-c conservative, which means I'm a big fan of civil liberties, strong defense, fiscal responsibility, and standing firm against Russia and authoritarians, generally. Tossing the Constitution; denigrating our all-volunteer military; spouting harebrained, half-baked "economic policies" (200% tariffs are not a thing); spouting racist conspiracy theories; rolling over for and openly admiring dictators: these are not conservative stances, they are postures signaling weakness, not strength.

Haiti is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. Targeting the Haitians who have come here to work and to build better lives for their families is what insecure bullies do. It's not Christian, and it's not American. Embracing hate, anger, and revenge is toxic; it's what weak, stunted people do instead of working on themselves and their issues. Stoking your rage and directing it against enemies, real or perceived, won't actually make you feel better; it will not fill the hole inside you, it will not build anything, it only destroys.
    I was raised in that sort of environment, with the performative cruelty and cosplaying toughness, the pettiness, the paranoia. It's corrosive. And now I see that behavior being flaunted and praised and excused and waved away, on a national scale, and it just makes me sick to see it.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,304
    This is comparing apples and oranges.

A clearly disturbed person committed a heinous crime and is serving a lengthy prison sentence for that crime. Yet, because this is the US, they still have certain rights, and they are trying to exercise those rights. This is a good thing. It is good and proper and American that even people convicted of the most horrific felonies still have some rights and protections! This isn't Russia! Who here is the least bit exercised about the man executed tonight by the state of Missouri, despite many assertions that he was innocent? Are we okay with that? I'm not!  

On the other hand, we have a clearly disturbed person who has been convicted of some crimes, charged with dozens more, and has yet to be charged with others -- fraud, sexual assault, etc. They also mishandled a pandemic, leading to hundreds of thousands of excess deaths; invoked a mob and attempted to overthrow democracy; and, if re-elected, would cause millions of people in a free country to lose their freedom and or their lives; would do the same to the people in Gaza; would attempt to deport and/or detain millions of immigrants in this country; would use the levers of government to persecute and prosecute his perceived enemies; would attempt to stifle a free press; would deprive half of the country's citizens of their bodily autonomy; would weaken if not outright destroy international alliances and threaten global stability; has a life-long record of bullying, racism, misogyny, and fraud.

I wouldn't want to interact with either of these people. They both pose a threat to society. But that's where the similarity ends. In the first case, that looks to me a lot like the system working the way it should. In the latter -- wow.

Enough with the ingenuousness.  I'm a small-c conservative, which means I'm a big fan of civil liberties, strong defense, fiscal responsibility, and standing firm against Russia and authoritarians, generally. Tossing the Constitution; denigrating our all-volunteer military; spouting harebrained, half-baked "economic policies" (200% tariffs are not a thing); spouting racist conspiracy theories; rolling over for and openly admiring dictators: these are not conservative stances, they are postures signaling weakness, not strength.

Haiti is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. Targeting the Haitians who have come here to work and to build better lives for their families is what insecure bullies do. It's not Christian, and it's not American. Embracing hate, anger, and revenge is toxic; it's what weak, stunted people do instead of working on themselves and their issues. Stoking your rage and directing it against enemies, real or perceived, won't actually make you feel better; it will not fill the hole inside you, it will not build anything, it only destroys.
    I was raised in that sort of environment, with the performative cruelty and cosplaying toughness, the pettiness, the paranoia. It's corrosive. And now I see that behavior being flaunted and praised and excused and waved away, on a national scale, and it just makes me sick to see it.

Totally agree! The MAGA base and all who support it are the sect of America that I want nothing to do with! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I'm pretty sure they know there's a good chance they are executing innocent people. I think they're doing it on purpose. Just like they're killing women with their Crist-Fascist forced pregnancy laws. And they keep lying about Haitians or whoever is the outsider du jour even though they know they are lying and they know exactly what damage they are causing to Springfield, OH or whatever Springfield they're putting in danger this week. And they know their hideous gun "laws" are going to get kids killed. Just a disgusting movement and group of people. As always, the cruelty is the point.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 746
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/harris-campaign-office-damaged-gunfire-arizona-rcna172463

Harris campaign office damaged by gunfire in Arizona

I blame the liberal media for fanning the flames. 
  • njhaley1 said:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/harris-campaign-office-damaged-gunfire-arizona-rcna172463

Harris campaign office damaged by gunfire in Arizona

I blame the liberal media for fanning the flames. 
    Just more “responsible” gun owners showing how “responsible” they are.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,243
    Whether it's trump & his campaign threatening our democracy and stoking violence, or Harris and her campaign calling out trump for threatening democracy and stoking violence, it's clear both sides have a problem with violence and need to tone down the rhetoric. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    edited September 25
    Whether it's trump & his campaign threatening our democracy and stoking violence, or Harris and her campaign calling out trump for threatening democracy and stoking violence, it's clear both sides have a problem with violence and need to tone down the rhetoric. 

Did the NYTimes pitchbot hijack your account?  ;)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,220

stole it FROM nyt pitchbot.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

stole it FROM nyt pitchbot. 
    Good artists borrow, great artists steal. 
  • Whether it's trump & his campaign threatening our democracy and stoking violence, or Harris and her campaign calling out trump for threatening democracy and stoking violence, it's clear both sides have a problem with violence and need to tone down the rhetoric. 
    From that twitter account "Fake NYT Headlines" or something like that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,220

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,728
    mickeyrat said:

Glad to hear. I want more of this. 

Also...I would love for her campaign to turn the debate into a townhall or something assuming Trump chickens out. 
    www.myspace.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,758
    teskeinc said:
    This is Autumn Cordellione, he strangled a 11 month old baby to death. He is serving 55 years in prison  He wants a sex-change operation in prison. In Kamala’s America he/she/it gets one……on the American tax-payers dime. It’s not medically necessary, it’s an elective ($100,000) procedure. 

Cutting his balls off seems like a good idea to me.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,719
    teskeinc said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to be the narrative a lot of duped low information voters are pushing. This person was already under doctor care. They aren't receiving procedures BECAUSE they are incarcerated. It's just that the treatment they were receiving will be continued in prison. Just like if they were receiving chemo or dialysis treatment. 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

www.myspace.com
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 746
    God damn it, Arizona.  This is the expected result from being last in the nation in education.  
    njhaley1 said:
    God damn it, Arizona.  This is the expected result from being last in the nation in education.  
    Just keep Kari Lake out of the senate. We'll take care of the rest in PA haha
    www.myspace.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,364
    teskeinc said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to be the narrative a lot of duped low information voters are pushing. This person was already under doctor care. They aren't receiving procedures BECAUSE they are incarcerated. It's just that the treatment they were receiving will be continued in prison. Just like if they were receiving chemo or dialysis treatment. 

It's not just like chemo though, or dialysis...at all.

But I do think a case by case decision makes sense and care could continue.  But I think it should be a high bar to clear.

hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,506
    His/her problems are the furthest thing from mine.  I could not care less whether they get treatment or not.  It's a rounding error on top of a rounding error divided by 100.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    His/her problems are the furthest thing from mine.  I could not care less whether they get treatment or not.  It's a rounding error on top of a rounding error divided by 100.  

I agree. This person, clearly, has a lot of serious issues. The cost of their care, on a federal scale, is less than the equivalent of whatever change you find in your sofa cushions.

I have little -- make that no -- sympathy for someone who killed an infant. None. But that's not the issue. 

Equal protection under the law is, in my opinion, a crucial element in our system. And it needs to apply to everyone. If we start saying, "I'm all for equal protection, but..." then we get into a slippery slope situation where we decide on a case by case basis if an individual merits equal protection -- which, by definition, no longer is equal protection.

I believe, firmly, that our nation's laws must apply equally to everyone, regardless of socioeconomic status, regardless of race or religion, regardless of character. So I'm opposed to the death penalty for anyone, from the most heinous murderer to people like the man executed yesterday, who was thought by many to be innocent.
    Free speech must apply to everyone, even to people I find reprehensible, e.g. the Westboro Baptist Church.
    The rights and freedoms afforded to people in this country must apply to people I loathe and not just to my friends or people who meet my standards and expectations.

Oh, also -- anyone who is agitated about the expense of government-subsidized gender-affirming care for prisoners (seriously, how many such individuals are there??) also ought to be in a lather over things like how Jared got his $2B sweetheart deal, or the many scams that popped up in 2020 to take advantage of Covid relief funds, or... etc.   
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,792
    This is comparing apples and oranges.

Excellent post, C! 
    And on top of being a criminal, Trump posing as a Christian and a conservative is a bad joke. He uses label to fool his gullible followers.  The question is, how can so many millions of T-cult followers be taught to think critically and be deprogrammed from the massive number of lies they have been fed?  It seems like an overwhelming task, but an essential one to preserving democracy.  
    And I'm not saying everyone should become a die-hard liberal.  I think there are small c-conservative (I like that term) views that make good sense.  But the radical right has made "conservative" a swear word.  Conservation, as in prevention of wasteful use of resources, is certainly not evil.  Conserving, as in prolonging the existence of something useful and good (like courtesy, respect, honor, dignity), is not a terrible thing.
    And although I do not call myself a Christian, but I know the difference between a true person of faith and a huckster who used that term.
    We need to learn to understand these terms for what they really mean and recognize that power hungry ego-maniacs do not.  Kamala Harris may not be that person 100%, but she is far more that person than Trump by 1000%.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• very well said C
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Oh, also -- anyone who is agitated about the expense of government-subsidized gender-affirming care for prisoners (seriously, how many such individuals are there??) also ought to be in a lather over things like how Jared got his $2B sweetheart deal, or the many scams that popped up in 2020 to take advantage of Covid relief funds, or... etc.   
    It's selective outrage motivated by the culture war bullshit being spoon fed to marks on a daily basis. 
  • Brian wrote: "And on top of being a criminal, Trump posing as a Christian and a conservative is a bad joke. He uses label to fool his gullible followers."

I'm going to reference Andrew Sullivan here, with the caveat that his misogyny/ "big gay blind spot" when it comes to women's issues is truly jaw-dropping. That said, he did have some interesting takes on religion.
    Specifically, he refers to "Christianism," an extremist, militant distortion of Christianity akin to "Islamism," a radical, distorted version of Islam. The "religion" promoted by MAGA is Christianism, not Christianity. I also do not describe myself as a Christian; I'm a lapsed Presbyterian. I don't disdain religion -- I respect the important role faith plays in many people's lives -- but I've struggled with the concept and consequences of organized religion for my entire life. I view faith and spirituality as highly individualized and even private, by necessity.
    Anyway. All of that said, I have read the Bible a few times, and I'm able to distinguish between the Old and New Testaments, and I know darn well that the vengeful G-d is in the Old Testament, and Jesus never said, if someone punches you, punch back twice as hard. Jesus was the original social justice warrior, not a Bible-wielding Rambo. He healed the sick, fed the hungry, cared for the least among us. In other words, in the language of MAGA, he was a cuck, a lib, a snowflake.
    Actual Christians, who have read the Bible and heed Jesus's message, welcome refugees and Haitian immigrants, would never think of withholding care from a woman experiencing a miscarriage, feed the homeless, care for their pets. I've met these people, they're out there, not making headlines, just living their lives and doing the right thing. 

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,364

It's selective outrage motivated by the culture war bullshit being spoon fed to marks on a daily basis. 
    It's also just a "whatbout" statement.  It's ok to talk an issue and have an opinion.  And it doesn't mean people aren't upset over other things as well.  Always find this weird.

Otherwise that was a great post curmudgeoness.  I do disagree with you on this specific case (and a couple of other things), but was a really nice read of your opinion.
    hippiemom = goodness

• Oh, also -- anyone who is agitated about the expense of government-subsidized gender-affirming care for prisoners (seriously, how many such individuals are there??) also ought to be in a lather over things like how Jared got his $2B sweetheart deal, or the many scams that popped up in 2020 to take advantage of Covid relief funds, or... etc.   
    It's also just a "whatbout" statement.  It's ok to talk an issue and have an opinion.  And it doesn't mean people aren't upset over other things as well.  Always find this weird.

Otherwise that was a great post curmudgeoness.  I do disagree with you on this specific case (and a couple of other things), but was a really nice read of your opinion.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me -- I welcome good faith discussions and disagreements!
    mrussel1 said:

I agree. This person, clearly, has a lot of serious issues. The cost of their care, on a federal scale, is less than the equivalent of whatever change you find in your sofa cushions.

I have little -- make that no -- sympathy for someone who killed an infant. None. But that's not the issue. 

Equal protection under the law is, in my opinion, a crucial element in our system. And it needs to apply to everyone. If we start saying, "I'm all for equal protection, but..." then we get into a slippery slope situation where we decide on a case by case basis if an individual merits equal protection -- which, by definition, no longer is equal protection.

I believe, firmly, that our nation's laws must apply equally to everyone, regardless of socioeconomic status, regardless of race or religion, regardless of character. So I'm opposed to the death penalty for anyone, from the most heinous murderer to people like the man executed yesterday, who was thought by many to be innocent.
    Free speech must apply to everyone, even to people I find reprehensible, e.g. the Westboro Baptist Church.
    The rights and freedoms afforded to people in this country must apply to people I loathe and not just to my friends or people who meet my standards and expectations.

Stop making so much much sense. 
    www.myspace.com

What Curmudgeoness said isn't without its merit though. The amount of outrage over transgender issues is in no way proportionate to the amount of actual transgender issues facing our country. 

I agree, it's perfectly ok to have an opinion, and discuss, but to pin this on "Kamala's America" is absurd and I stand by my statement: it's culture war bullshit being spoon fed to marks.