• raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,158
    edited July 2
    Post removed. 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Get_Right said:
    If everyone just went to the nearest show instead of travel if they cancel you lose nothing really 

I have never quite understood why fans pay thousands of dollars for travel and hotels to see Pearl Jam concerts. I have done so in the US for Ohana or other festivals, but that involves three days of music. I may be biased since I live in the Northeast US, but I still do not get it.
    You are biased as in NE USA.   Many cities you would have to travel long distances or else never see the band at all, or every ten years.

Many work the shows into vacations.  I have seen PJ in 80 cities and 20 countries.  More about travel than seeing the band. 

Some meet up with friends from out of town at shows and an excuse to meet somewhere.

• maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Posts: 228
    I think many of us would feel better, if an effort was made by the band, to go back as soon as possible to a city you cancelled a concert in. Raleigh was six years ago, Vienna and Prague two. If there was no time to be found to schedule a concert, go on stage and say something along the line of: “ we are so glad to be back and so sorry, we could  not play here last time, so this is for you [and then play whatever you put on the setlist anyway]” it was maybe not important enough. 
  • sdharv1919sdharv1919 Posts: 27
    If less fans traveled (i.e . flying) their would be less de facto supporting of pollution. 
    So shouldn't they respect the travelling fan less for the sake of environment, and focus on the ones not travelling long distances by plane? or have a function in place to support the ones going by e.g. train a little bit extra than those polluting for the sake of the band.
    Lol.  Tell that to the elites in their private jets.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98
    Alpine Valley 6/27/98
    East Lansing 8/18/98
    Knoxville 9/6/98
    D.C. (Constitution Hall) 9/19/98
    Nobelsville 8/18/00
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Detroit (EV) 6/26/11
    Wrigley 8/22/16
    Wrigley 8/18/18
    Noblesville 8/26/24
  • bpsteinerbpsteiner Posts: 16
    If you don’t want to deal with the chance of cancellations then don’t buy tickets. It happens. Get over it. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    Damn some of the comments here are hard to read on both sides. 
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    If less fans traveled (i.e . flying) their would be less de facto supporting of pollution. 
    So shouldn't they respect the travelling fan less for the sake of environment, and focus on the ones not travelling long distances by plane? or have a function in place to support the ones going by e.g. train a little bit extra than those polluting for the sake of the band.
    Your idea is very good hearted.  But given the amount of planes that fly everyday, and the fact that the airline will still operate the aircraft on schedule, empty seat or not, then this idea wouldn't have an effect.

Even if we expand the person group to "fans of any artist".  If any travelling fan (of any artist) decides to boycott air travel, then the airlines will simply fill that seat with another person (likely scenario), or fly the scheduled route with the empty seat (because schedule disruptions are too costly).

But in terms of environmental effect, you are spot on.  I googled "effects of airplanes on pollution" and the results were eye opening, as it's mentioned that "if the aviation industry were a country, it would be one of the top 10 carbon-polluting nations in the world".

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    just_one said:
    English is not my first languague so bare with me...As a fan who was at vienna in 2022 and now has tickets for london,berlin,Barcelona,Madrid and lisbon i've got to say this.

Something has to change within the band to avoid these waves of cancellations.

If eddie was feeling ill he should never sang in Manchester plain and simple. Cancelling that show might have saved the rest of the tour but they went head full knowing the consequences for the remaining of the tour. 

They know a lot of people travel from all over the world to see the band play, they have to protect themselfs better. Like eddie not coming down to the rail for example.

There so many bands even bigger bands that have way worse scheduling tours and none of them have this happenning to them. Its just unexclusable at this point.

Unfortunally this will be the last time we are travelling to see them play, they just became way to unreliable , it hurts to write this but its the truth. Its been 7 days since manchester , and it will be 11 days when barcelona comes, somehow i really hope they perform in Barcelona because lets be realistic here...what kind of sickness takes 11 freaking days to get better? That being said i've lost all hope for barcelona, yes im leaving for barcelona on the 4th but with no hope for them to show up at all.

Im just sad this will be the last time so many fans are giving up travelling to see the band(im not the minority) , they really broke that special bond , there is not trust anymore ....

Get over yourself...if some one is sick they cancel. End of story. It doesn't matter if everyone traveled or no one traveled. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    It could very well be that one person got sick and recovered, but someone else got sick. Plus Covid takes a while to recover from, especially if they have long covid already.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Also, the idea that less travel means less pollution is crazy. Those flights are already happening, despite 12 pearl jam shows.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Vedd Hedd said:
    It could very well be that one person got sick and recovered, but someone else got sick. Plus Covid takes a while to recover from, especially if they have long covid already.
    This is pretty much what the band statements have expressed.  The illness spread throughout the band (and tour staff).  So the timeline would then be staggered to coincide with the last group of people who fell ill.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    MikeDigs said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This is pretty much what the band statements have expressed.  The illness spread throughout the band (and tour staff).  
    Does it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    MikeDigs said:
    Your idea is very good hearted.  But given the amount of planes that fly everyday, and the fact that the airline will still operate the aircraft on schedule, empty seat or not, then this idea wouldn't have an effect.
    I understand you will keep dumping waste in the ocean, because who cares, other people will do it anyways. But, yes - my idea is very good hearted. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    MikeDigs said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This is pretty much what the band statements have expressed.  The illness spread throughout the band (and tour staff).  
    Does it?
    Does what?
    edited July 1
    MikeDigs said:
    I understand you will keep dumping waste in the ocean, because who cares, other people will do it anyways. But, yes - my idea is very good hearted. 
    ?  I don't dump in to the ocean.  I do care about the environment and simply pointed out the reality of air travel.  Also I agreed with your point that it's very detrimental.  Maybe re-read what I wrote?  Your reply makes no sense.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
    MikeDigs said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Does it?
    Does what?
    The statement, saying that the illness spread throughout the band and the tour staff - does it?
    MikeDigs said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Does it?
    Does what?
    The statement, saying that the illness spread throughout the band and the tour staff - does it?
    Still not sure what you are asking here.  Can you elaborate on "does it"?  I simply said that based on what the statements said, the illness has clearly spread throughout the band, and likely tour staff.  Saying "does it" in relation to what I said, does not make sense to me.  Not sure what you are asking.
  • rangers72rangers72 Posts: 169
    Get_Right said:
    If everyone just went to the nearest show instead of travel if they cancel you lose nothing really 

I have never quite understood why fans pay thousands of dollars for travel and hotels to see Pearl Jam concerts. I have done so in the US for Ohana or other festivals, but that involves three days of music. I may be biased since I live in the Northeast US, but I still do not get it.
    They havent played Scotland for 25 years so ive no choice!annoying given every other major artist from the USA  always have a Scottish show on their tours.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    Get_Right said:

Yes, you are obviously biased living in a location where literally every touring act is going to go to due to the shear number of people in the area, with many opportunities in any direction in a small area.  Lots of people would literally never have the opportunity to see the band if they didn't travel, especially at this stage of the game. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,763
    Get_Right said:

You are biased as in NE USA.   Many cities you would have to travel long distances or else never see the band at all, or every ten years.

Many work the shows into vacations.  I have seen PJ in 80 cities and 20 countries.  More about travel than seeing the band. 

Some meet up with friends from out of town at shows and an excuse to meet somewhere.

I like that answer, "more about travel than seeing the band." I wish more fans had that attitude.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I like that answer, "more about travel than seeing the band." I wish more fans had that attitude.
    That's the way I look at it. This is my 2nd trip to Berlin, the first being 40 years ago, and my first to Barcelona. I will  enjoy both with or without PJ.
    However,  I'll probably not plan  a trip of this magnitude around PJ again.
    Get_Right said:

If you understand it for Ohana or other festivals, I'm pretty sure you do understand it

I love festivals for the variety of music available and they are longer events. Not sure I could justify the cost to travel to Europe or Australia to see 1-3 Pearl Jam shows, especially with the increased costs these days. Travel and ticket costs are very high. I probably am biased though.
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,158
    Get_Right said:

That's the way I look at it. This is my 2nd trip to Berlin, the first being 40 years ago, and my first to Barcelona. I will  enjoy both with or without PJ.
    However,  I'll probably not plan  a trip of this magnitude around PJ again.
    Are you serious? That's the way I look at it, then,  I'll probably not plan  a trip of this magnitude around PJ again. WTF? 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I planned 6 days in London, and 6 days in Berlin - so it was about taking a vacation with seeing PJ as a small part of it - but the shows are why I picked these cities. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I planned 6 days in London, and 6 days in Berlin - so it was about taking a vacation with seeing PJ as a small part of it - but the shows are why I picked these cities. 

Understood, but that was kind of my point, you probably spent a small fortune on tickets and to travel to Europe for 12 days. Europe is great to visit, especially if you have never been there, but I would guess the main attraction for you was to see the shows.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    edited July 1
    It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when people only care about themselves instead of a person/people who are sick. History has shown that the band does everything they can to perform a show(look at the Fresno show in ‘22 as a recent example). It sucks for everyone involved but that’s life. Life isn’t fair. 
    Post edited by PJammin' on
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Get_Right said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Understood, but that was kind of my point, you probably spent a small fortune on tickets and to travel to Europe for 12 days. Europe is great to visit, especially if you have never been there, but I would guess the main attraction for you was to see the shows.
    Sure. It’s disappointing, but I still had an amazing time hanging out in London. And now I plan to have fun in Berlin (which I have never been to). The main issue is the health of the band. I don’t think anyone here wants them to be sick. You can’t blame them for illness. I really hope they recover and people seeing them in Barcelona have a great time at the show. I admittedly will be jealous, but rooting for it to happen. I will be seeing them on the Fall leg, and also Ohana. 
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    PJammin' said:
    It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when people only care about themselves instead of a person/people who are sick. History has shown that the band does everything they can to perform a show(look at the Fresno show in ‘22 as a recent example). It sucks for everyone involved but that’s life. Life isn’t fair. 
    Fresno drummer situation was old news at that point.  Anyone at the Oakland shows, especially up front saw a truly unique experience with the band not knowing what was going to happen with their drummer of 20+ years out for the first time.  Very interesting shows and the first time I've ever really been fixated on watching the drummer(s) more than anyone else at a PJ show. 
  • PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 724
    I think many of us would feel better, if an effort was made by the band, to go back as soon as possible to a city you cancelled a concert in. Raleigh was six years ago, Vienna and Prague two. If there was no time to be found to schedule a concert, go on stage and say something along the line of: “ we are so glad to be back and so sorry, we could  not play here last time, so this is for you [and then play whatever you put on the setlist anyway]” it was maybe not important enough. 
    I feel exactly the same way about the lack of effort to return to cities where shows have been cancelled especially in locations they don't play very often.
    They release a nice heartfelt statement about how sorry they are to cancel etc etc and then it is never spoken of again. 

It appears they are making up the Baltimore show this Sept but did they do anything for the fans who had tickets to the original show and were impacted by the cancellation, hell no! They could have found a way to make sure those who had tickets to the original concert had the opportunity to buy tickets to the current show but it wasn't worth it for them to put in the effort. 

It would be great if they decided to schedule another show in Raleigh.
    I don't know if the bathroom issue was ever resolved to their liking and I really could care less but I doubt they return until that happens. They made their political stand at the expense of their fans and have to stand by it regardless of who else is affected.

4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    KidAOK said:
    So cancel Manchester to leave thousands more disappointed when there's no evidence that that would have allowed them to play London or Berlin?

I'll play devil's advocate on this one.  I had a previous job, that required me to do presentations to the public.  It usually meant 60 to 90 minutes of public speaking at full volume.    If I had a cold, I knew if I did the presentation I would pay the price for it.   Doing that long/loud on my vocal cords in the early stage of a cold, would cause my throat to burn, and amplify the illness.  More times than not, knowing this is how it works with me, I'd do it anyways, then pay the price (which sometimes woulds push me to being ill enough I had to miss work).  If I took it easy in the initial days, it often wouldn't get too bad.

I feel like this might apply to vocalists in bands.    You have this urge to push through and perform for the audience of that night, but by doing it while your ill, you're most likely exacerbating the issue, and create the potential to miss more shows down the road, as you now need to recover from it.

I dunno.  It could be the illness started to spread around the band/crew, but every time I see a singer try to do the noble thing and blaze through a set while coming down with something.. I always wonder how many shows it will cause them to miss.  You're trying to do the right thing at the time, but the trade off could be missing more shows after.

That's my thoughts, and at least how I interpreted the OP's post.     Using your vocal chords when you're coming down with something.  It's not great :(

This discussion has been closed.