Respect the travelling fans...

Comments

• bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    Zod said:
    KidAOK said:
    So cancel Manchester to leave thousands more disappointed when there's no evidence that that would have allowed them to play London or Berlin?

I'll play devil's advocate on this one.  I had a previous job, that required me to do presentations to the public.  It usually meant 60 to 90 minutes of public speaking at full volume.    If I had a cold, I knew if I did the presentation I would pay the price for it.   Doing that long/loud on my vocal cords in the early stage of a cold, would cause my throat to burn, and amplify the illness.  More times than not, knowing this is how it works with me, I'd do it anyways, then pay the price (which sometimes woulds push me to being ill enough I had to miss work).  If I took it easy in the initial days, it often wouldn't get too bad.

I feel like this might apply to vocalists in bands.    You have this urge to push through and perform for the audience of that night, but by doing it while your ill, you're most likely exacerbating the issue, and create the potential to miss more shows down the road, as you now need to recover from it.

I dunno.  It could be the illness started to spread around the band/crew, but every time I see a singer try to do the noble thing and blaze through a set while coming down with something.. I always wonder how many shows it will cause them to miss.  You're trying to do the right thing at the time, but the trade off could be missing more shows after.

That's my thoughts, and at least how I interpreted the OP's post.     Using your vocal chords when you're coming down with something.  It's not great :(

I think most would power through the night because you don’t know what tomorrow is going to be like.  Now if you knew 100% that by doing a show in Man was going to cancel 3 future shows than you probably cancel Man but what do you do if the probability is 50/50?  60/40?  It becomes a much more difficult decision.  

And if it’s Covid it can be really unpredictable and affects everyone differently.  I just had it and had a fever for a couple days and was tired but was generally fine.  However, I did have the dry cough that lingered for about 3 weeks and any time I had to talk for an extended amount I would go into a coughing fit.  So while I felt fine in every other way it would have still been really hard to sing.
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    rangers72 said:
    Get_Right said:
    If everyone just went to the nearest show instead of travel if they cancel you lose nothing really 

I have never quite understood why fans pay thousands of dollars for travel and hotels to see Pearl Jam concerts. I have done so in the US for Ohana or other festivals, but that involves three days of music. I may be biased since I live in the Northeast US, but I still do not get it.
    They havent played Scotland for 25 years so ive no choice!annoying given every other major artist from the USA  always have a Scottish show on their tours.
    Yep, WTF is up with that? They could fill Hampden Park. I would NOT be missing that show, coming from Canada👍👍👍
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    PJammin' said:
    It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when people only care about themselves instead of a person/people who are sick. History has shown that the band does everything they can to perform a show(look at the Fresno show in ‘22 as a recent example). It sucks for everyone involved but that’s life. Life isn’t fair. 
    Fresno drummer situation was old news at that point.  Anyone at the Oakland shows, especially up front saw a truly unique experience with the band not knowing what was going to happen with their drummer of 20+ years out for the first time.  Very interesting shows and the first time I've ever really been fixated on watching the drummer(s) more than anyone else at a PJ show. 
    I was talking about Eddie being really sick for Fresno and he still gutted it out that night. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    PJammin' said:
    PJammin' said:
    It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when people only care about themselves instead of a person/people who are sick. History has shown that the band does everything they can to perform a show(look at the Fresno show in ‘22 as a recent example). It sucks for everyone involved but that’s life. Life isn’t fair. 
    Fresno drummer situation was old news at that point.  Anyone at the Oakland shows, especially up front saw a truly unique experience with the band not knowing what was going to happen with their drummer of 20+ years out for the first time.  Very interesting shows and the first time I've ever really been fixated on watching the drummer(s) more than anyone else at a PJ show. 
    I was talking about Eddie being really sick for Fresno and he still gutted it out that night. 
    Ah, gotcha.  I didn't realize he was sick for that one. 
  • reismannreismann Posts: 36
    The problem here in this post the US-fan has a different view to this situation then the rest of us.PJ plays more shows in the USA then in the rest of the world. This is ok. If there is a show cancelled the US-fan can visit another show in the nearest future.Europe has to wait 2 years with luck. We here in Europe will be treated a little bit better with shows then the fans from Down Under or South America.So far so good, But If the band is coming over the big pond we could expect that they are in good condition. Everybody can catch Covid or another sickness. But is it good that Eddie is shaking hands with the fans. I have a friend who is AC/DC fan many years. He is really disappointed that he cannot meet the band members on this tour. The tours before he met Angus and friends.
    Everytime when I visit a show abroad I construct a holiday around the dates because a show can be cancelled and so I have not thrown a lot of money through the window. Let the people vent if they are affected.This helps.

• drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    I honestly think the band has just had really really bad luck. With London and Berlin I’m now on 5 cancellations of the 12 shows I booked in the last 10 years. I’ve tried to book as flexible travel as possible but probably still down a grand. Disappointing and frustrating but what can they do? If EV is ill and can’t sing, they can’t play, simple as that.  It’s not just Europe. Matt and other were ill in US Leg 1 2022 and they cancelled shows and Matt was ill again in US 2023 and they cancelled Indy. Just coincidence that of the 5 tours with cancellations the 3 EV driven ones were in Europe and the 2 Matt ones in the US. You can’t blame the band for being ill. 
    Personally for me the only thing I would have liked would have been a statement from the band saying they will be looking at returning to the UK and Germany (and hopefully the Netherlands, Austria and Czech Republic) next year. I think if they committed to trying to do that then  a lot of the disappointment and frustration of many fans would go away. We have just been left hanging, hoping we are not going to get a massive gap like the 6 years from 2000 to 2006 or 4 years from 2014 to 2018.
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 165
    Man I do feel for the band obviously they don’t want to cancel  but come on let people vent

the band barely tours and the people im my opinion who have made the band super wealthy in life have spent a ton of money to travel to see the band

I empathize totally with these fans and they deserve this forum to vent

i lost 400 on hotel in Sacramento in 2022 plus the show 

the traveling fans made this band and I can love the band and can’t wait to see them in ohana but man I feel for everyone affected by these cancellations the money and missing the band

• BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    drfox said:
    I honestly think the band has just had really really bad luck. With London and Berlin I’m now on 5 cancellations of the 12 shows I booked in the last 10 years. I’ve tried to book as flexible travel as possible but probably still down a grand. Disappointing and frustrating but what can they do? If EV is ill and can’t sing, they can’t play, simple as that.  It’s not just Europe. Matt and other were ill in US Leg 1 2022 and they cancelled shows and Matt was ill again in US 2023 and they cancelled Indy. Just coincidence that of the 5 tours with cancellations the 3 EV driven ones were in Europe and the 2 Matt ones in the US. You can’t blame the band for being ill. 
    Personally for me the only thing I would have liked would have been a statement from the band saying they will be looking at returning to the UK and Germany (and hopefully the Netherlands, Austria and Czech Republic) next year. I think if they committed to trying to do that then  a lot of the disappointment and frustration of many fans would go away. We have just been left hanging, hoping we are not going to get a massive gap like the 6 years from 2000 to 2006 or 4 years from 2014 to 2018.
    Yes people get ill it can't be helped and getting better is the most important thing but a commitment to return to the countries next year would go a long way to helping fans accept that
  • Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 191
    drfox said:
    Yes people get ill it can't be helped and getting better is the most important thing but a commitment to return to the countries next year would go a long way to helping fans accept that
    Someone posted in another thread that they can't due to contractual obligations...if they cancel a show they can't return to that place within a certain timeframe or it should be classed as a postponement......I have no idea why
  • one_stoneone_stone Posts: 298
    I have now had 5 out of my last 5 scheduled PJ Gigs cancelled. I am located in central Europe and still the nearest show for me this year was 900km away so I have to travel if I want to see them. 

Is it disappointing to miss show after show? Sure it is. But on the other hand: I have been to amazing cities all over Europe, seen breathtaking culture, architecture and history, met fun people and still had the time of my life. Yes - PJ at London would have been a dream but we went to KOL on Sunday and it was a blast, PJ at Waldbühne today and tomorrow would have been spectacular and my 30th time seeing them but still I have two days in one of the coolest cities in Europe for discovery.

If you only travel for the concerts - don't do it (anymore... it's really a little gamble with PJ now) - otherwise enjoy the essence of what travelling originally stands for.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,618
    edited July 2
    If I hadn't schduled overseas travel to see Rolling Stones(Slane), U2 (Dublin, NZ&Australia), and Springsteen (Australia x3) I wouldn't have met my best friends and probably wouldn't have visited those places. So yeah.. book the trips... oh yeah.. and PJ (... upcoming NZ&Australia)
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    drfox said:
    Someone posted in another thread that they can't due to contractual obligations...if they cancel a show they can't return to that place within a certain timeframe or it should be classed as a postponement......I have no idea why
    It's 2 years. So next year they can go back to Amsterdam Vienna and prague
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    Get_Right said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    If everyone just went to the nearest show instead of travel if they cancel you lose nothing really 

I have never quite understood why fans pay thousands of dollars for travel and hotels to see Pearl Jam concerts. I have done so in the US for Ohana or other festivals, but that involves three days of music. I may be biased since I live in the Northeast US, but I still do not get it.
    You are biased as in NE USA.   Many cities you would have to travel long distances or else never see the band at all, or every ten years.

Many work the shows into vacations.  I have seen PJ in 80 cities and 20 countries.  More about travel than seeing the band. 

Some meet up with friends from out of town at shows and an excuse to meet somewhere.

I like that answer, "more about travel than seeing the band." I wish more fans had that attitude.
    I planned 6 days in London, and 6 days in Berlin - so it was about taking a vacation with seeing PJ as a small part of it - but the shows are why I picked these cities. 

Understood, but that was kind of my point, you probably spent a small fortune on tickets and to travel to Europe for 12 days. Europe is great to visit, especially if you have never been there, but I would guess the main attraction for you was to see the shows.
    People are entitled to feel any and all disappointment certainly and some handle it better than others. Social media has made it possible for all the travelling fans to easily connect while on the road and what’s been exceptionally heartwarming to see is multiple groups of fans congregating at pubs, clubs, other shows, hiking trails, art galleries, etc. marking the most out of their travel experience. No one is arguing the shows wouldn’t have been appreciated but once cancelled other highlights have sprung up. People are having fun regardless.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    seanclax said:
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    drfox said:
    It's 2 years.
    How do you know?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,062
    Cal.PJ.C said:
    drfox said:
    So is that to the same venue? Or the city? Or the country?
    does that indicate no UK show for 2 years?
    The 2 year thing came up ALOT in the months of pre announcement chat. The general consensus was that as they cancelled shows and the insurance paid out they couldn't return for two years.
    The fact there was no Amsterdam show this year speaks volumes.
    Not sure whether that relates to this year's cancelled shows though.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    seanclax said:
    The 2 year thing came up ALOT in the months of pre announcement chat. The general consensus was that as they cancelled shows and the insurance paid out they couldn't return for two years.

What do you mean "general consensus"? How many people in here have enough authority about touring insurances to even be able to come to a general consensus on the matter? Maybe one person could have leaked info, or work in that area or read an article about how 2 years is the standard -- but several people reaching a general consensus about it?

Getting a general consensus about Kane Hodder being the best Jason Voorhees is one thing - and even that would be a stretch with the cliental in here. But regarding something so specific and niche? Sounds off.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    seanclax said:

What do you mean "general consensus"? How many people in here have enough authority about touring insurances to even be able to come to a general consensus on the matter? Maybe one person could have leaked info, or work in that area or read an article about how 2 years is the standard -- but several people reaching a general consensus about it?

Getting a general consensus about Kane Hodder being the best Jason Voorhees is one thing - and even that would be a stretch with the cliental in here. But regarding something so specific and niche? Sounds off.
    You've lost me with Jason shit.
    And genuinely you mainly seem to be here to argue.
    I only mentioned it because ALOTof people talked about it in the Euro tour thread that went on for months.
    Why else wouldn't they play Amsterdam when they always play Amsterdam.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

I only mentioned it because ALOTof people talked about it in the Euro tour thread that went on for months.
    +1
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

It definitely seems a reasonable conclusion to come to given previous patterns. 

I do wonder if it is true however or a myth that has been repeated so many times it becomes fact LOL. 

I also wonder if it is true if its country wide or specific to the venue.....hmmmmmm

I mean id Download come calling next year I wonder if PJ can sign up, or Leeds/Reading.......
  • dugangsxrdugangsxr Covington KY Posts: 683
    I Only had the travel two hours to Indianapolis to see them And as soon as I arrive, the show got canceled. I thought that sucked! I couldn’t imagine imagine of one to another country and pay all those fees/cost & the show getting canceled. I feel your alls pain. Hopefully shit gets better/resolved! 
    Paul D.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    It would make sense that the insurance company puts a moratorium on returning right away.  They don’t want bands canceling unless it’s absolutely unavoidable and the non return clause would be a financial disincentive to canceling.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

pdalowsky said:
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

I do wonder if it is true however or a myth that has been repeated so many times it becomes fact LOL. 

I also wonder if it is true if its country wide or specific to the venue.....hmmmmmm

I mean id Download come calling next year I wonder if PJ can sign up, or Leeds/Reading.......
    If it was a 2 year rule for the 2022 cancellations surely you think they would get a different deal going forward.
    But who knows.
    I personally can't see any euro shows next year. Which sucks cos I'm 1 for 3 so far with 2 shows to go
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    seanclax said:
    pdalowsky said:
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

If it was a 2 year rule for the 2022 cancellations surely you think they would get a different deal going forward.
    But who knows.
    I personally can't see any euro shows next year. Which sucks cos I'm 1 for 3 so far with 2 shows to go
    Maybe a different deal is worse though? Like, you cancelled 2 in 2022 so now it’s 3 years, if you cancel in ‘24 (as happened) it gets higher still? Premiums, copays and deductibles tend to increase when you actually use insurance, this might be another penalty.

i would also be stunned if there’s any Europe shows in ‘25. I kinda suspect that if they had any plans they might have been more likely to postpone, they cancelled because they don’t expect to be back that soon.
    kmcmanus said:
    seanclax said:
    pdalowsky said:
    seanclax said:
    seanclax said:

But who knows.
    Maybe a different deal is worse though? Like, you cancelled 2 in 2022 so now it’s 3 years, if you cancel in ‘24 (as happened) it gets higher still? Premiums, copays and deductibles tend to increase when you actually use insurance, this might be another penalty.

i would also be stunned if there’s any Europe shows in ‘25. I kinda suspect that if they had any plans they might have been more likely to postpone, they cancelled because they don’t expect to be back that soon.
    They've really got the gameplan wrong with this euro tour.
    Mot just the prices which are ridiculous.
    Spurs stadium should never have been an option, with Manchester catering to the northern audience one night at the o2 or Wembley would of suffice.
    Same with berlin and Barcelona, one night would of Been fine and they could of added krakow and Copenhagen arena shows which would of sold well.

• DL136722DL136722 Posts: 685
    It would've been interesting to see if these shows sold out, would they be canceled? 

My guess is, for insurance reasons, if you cancel a show due to sickness vs low ticket sales, there's different mechanisms that fall into place. Obviously, never going to know for sure just hope everyone is doing well. 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
    DL136722 said:
    It would've been interesting to see if these shows sold out, would they be canceled? 

My guess is, for insurance reasons, if you cancel a show due to sickness vs low ticket sales, there's different mechanisms that fall into place. Obviously, never going to know for sure just hope everyone is doing well. 
    Manchester seemed full enough 
  • DL136722DL136722 Posts: 685
    I was more referring to London and Berlin, the canceled shows 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
    DL136722 said:
    I was more referring to London and Berlin, the canceled shows 
    London wouldn't of sold out in a million years.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    dugangsxr said:
    I Only had the travel two hours to Indianapolis to see them And as soon as I arrive, the show got canceled. I thought that sucked! I couldn’t imagine imagine of one to another country and pay all those fees/cost & the show getting canceled. I feel your alls pain. Hopefully shit gets better/resolved! 
    I’d rather go to Berlin than Indy. Great city to explore. 
This discussion has been closed.