WRECKAGE

Comments

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,727
    wiscojam said:
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Uh oh.  This isn't what I was expecting.

I'm going to listen to Leash now to cleanse my ears and restore balance.
    Lol. I can't get over it. I've listened to it probably 10 times today trying to figure out what people are liking. Nope, still terrible. This is pop rock for the dentist office, not the Pearl Jam I love. It's totally bland and boring. They've been sprinkling in this stuff since backspacer, and im fearing they did more than sprinkle with the new album. I thought the first half of gigaton was a return to form, and was hopeful they still had some creative juice left...we'll see what Friday brings, but if this isnt the clear cut worst song on the album, I don't think I'm going to be into it.
    Guys: Vs. isn't coming back. That was over 30 years ago. This is ... kind of what 60-year-old rock bands sound like? I would be so embarrassed if they were still trying to write Blood 2 or something. I'm glad they've softened with age. Most of us do.
    Oh god...this again. This seems to he the default reaction that anyone who doesnt like new material gets from the unofficial gatekeepers. Just because I think the song sucks, doesn't mean I think they should be regurgitating music like they did in the 90s. I'm all for artistic revolution and growth. I just dont think Pearl Jam has been very successful in their attempts to reinvent themselves. I still love them though.

I'm also a big fan of radiohead/thom Yorke and Wilco...two artists who also came up in a similar Era as Pj, and both of whom I think are still recording brilliant and inspiring music. This pop version of Pearl Jam is just falling flat to me.
    define successful.
    Touche
  • Options
    Busch896Busch896 Delaware Posts: 47
    edited April 18
    Definitely different. Over 4-5 listens today I am really liking it. Excited to see how it fits in the album and catalog as a whole. Also wondering where this fits in a live show. Might be too early for this high praise but feels like it could be the first song of an encore?
    Post edited by Busch896 on
    Philly 4-29-2016 ● NYC 9-11-2022 ● Camden 9-14-2022 ● Ft Worth 9-15-2023 ● Austin 9-18-2023 
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,727
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

Lol. I can't get over it. I've listened to it probably 10 times today trying to figure out what people are liking. Nope, still terrible. This is pop rock for the dentist office, not the Pearl Jam I love. It's totally bland and boring. They've been sprinkling in this stuff since backspacer, and im fearing they did more than sprinkle with the new album. I thought the first half of gigaton was a return to form, and was hopeful they still had some creative juice left...we'll see what Friday brings, but if this isnt the clear cut worst song on the album, I don't think I'm going to be into it.
    Guys: Vs. isn't coming back. That was over 30 years ago. This is ... kind of what 60-year-old rock bands sound like? I would be so embarrassed if they were still trying to write Blood 2 or something. I'm glad they've softened with age. Most of us do.
    Oh god...this again. This seems to he the default reaction that anyone who doesnt like new material gets from the unofficial gatekeepers. Just because I think the song sucks, doesn't mean I think they should be regurgitating music like they did in the 90s. I'm all for artistic revolution and growth. I just dont think Pearl Jam has been very successful in their attempts to reinvent themselves. I still love them though.

I'm also a big fan of radiohead/thom Yorke and Wilco...two artists who also came up in a similar Era as Pj, and both of whom I think are still recording brilliant and inspiring music. This pop version of Pearl Jam is just falling flat to me.
    You should have said this the first time. You like your music complicated. I get it. I used to be this way.

Me, I don't necessarily need to be impressed by my favorite bands anymore. Just moved. A song doesn't have to be complicated to do that to me. Three chords and the truth works, too. 
    No you don't get it. But you are full of assumptions to validate your defensiveness over someone else's opinion of someone else's art for some reason.
    I don't mean any offense on this, because I get it, and not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok. But I think it's probably because you continue to offer your opinion that the song sucks. And to the level in which it sucks.

Which is fine,  too, but just expect some blowback from people who are genuinely moved by the song. 

Usually when I love something, I tend to gush over it. When I dislike something, I tend to just not say anything, or give my opinion and move on from it. 
    "This one doesn't hit me."

That's a good point, and im going to lay off of it. I may have gotten a litrle carried away....I just love the band like everyone else on here, so when they put something out that I think is a dud...its extra disappointing to me.

I was just starting to warm up to dark matter and running. This one, I don't think I'll ever warm up to as it's just not aligned with my taste in any way. Like Sirens cousin or something. 
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560
    Lifted said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

You should have said this the first time. You like your music complicated. I get it. I used to be this way.

Me, I don't necessarily need to be impressed by my favorite bands anymore. Just moved. A song doesn't have to be complicated to do that to me. Three chords and the truth works, too. 
    No you don't get it. But you are full of assumptions to validate your defensiveness over someone else's opinion of someone else's art for some reason.
    I don't mean any offense on this, because I get it, and not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok. But I think it's probably because you continue to offer your opinion that the song sucks. And to the level in which it sucks.

Which is fine,  too, but just expect some blowback from people who are genuinely moved by the song. 

Usually when I love something, I tend to gush over it. When I dislike something, I tend to just not say anything, or give my opinion and move on from it. 
    "This one doesn't hit me."

That's a good point, and im going to lay off of it. I may have gotten a litrle carried away....I just love the band like everyone else on here, so when they put something out that I think is a dud...its extra disappointing to me.

I was just starting to warm up to dark matter and running. This one, I don't think I'll ever warm up to as it's just not aligned with my taste in any way. Like Sirens cousin or something. 
    I hear you. I am not a fan of Sirens at all. I like the lyrics, just not the sound. But that said, there is a lot to like on the album and chances are, you'll come away with something, prob a few you can cling to.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    I was worried when people compared this to Petty. I can understand that, but I don't hear or associate this with Petty at all. I like the song and think it's a good tune. This album is going to be accessible to casual listeners. Some upbeat tempos that have a real summer day vibe. I literally thought of listening to this song with the windows down on a hot summer day last night when I first heard it. Just a flowing groove throughout that builds.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    DB2707DB2707 Posts: 66
    I can’t stop hearing Fast Car in it. Must be similar chords. Especially in the beginning. 
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 225
    DB2707 said:
    I can’t stop hearing Fast Car in it. Must be similar chords. Especially in the beginning. 
    I totally heard that at the beginning too. 
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    This is the most I’ve liked a PJ song this much at first listen since something off Backspacer. Not that says much since a lot seem to not like that album, but I did. Point is I think Wreckage is better than anything off LB or Gigaton. Shaping up to be a fantastic album it seems like. Maybe I’m just caught up in the hype 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,739
    DB2707 said:
    I don’t think we’re that lucky. That’s one of the greatest songs ever made. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Mr. FixerMr. Fixer Posts: 592
    DB2707 said:
    I completely hear that as well.  
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,819
    Wreckage is a cross between Brass Monkey by the Beattie Boys and Borderline by Madonna 

PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70
    Let Tom Petty sleep its wreckage time.
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,728
    D-Rod said:
    Wreckage is a cross between Brass Monkey by the Beattie Boys and Borderline by Madonna 

PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!
    Haha, that was good. 
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,624
    I hear hammer on pull off Hard to Imagine vibes in the beginning.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,728
    I’m hearing To be with you by Mr Big 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    I’m hearing To be with you by Mr Big 

love that song.. lol. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    I listened to it on youtube via my TV and home stereo the first time around and thought it was ok, enjoying it a lot more the 2nd time around on my computer with headphones.  I think I chose amazon music this time which has better audio quality.
  • Options
    I really love that Ed is signing with melody all over this one. These songs have space and room to be taken in. Imma wear this record out!
  • Options
    I also don’t get the hate on the production and drum sound? Watt made Wreckage sound like a classic track that I would have believed was lost 25 years ago. Maybe I’m ignorant to that stuff or maybe it’s a case of arm chair producer syndrome? The drums sound natural and clean imo
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    Mr. Fixer said:
    DB2707 said:
    I completely hear that as well.  
    You sure it's not Talkin Bout A Revolution?

The guitar lick has a sped up Fast Car vibe but the chorus has defo that mixed with Learning To Fly for me.

Those dyad solos with Ed singing over them are just gorgeous. I'm glad they kept the end going for a couple of bars. I felt Retrograde could have too just to have Ed go completely nuts both in studio and live. You close your eyes and can totally see both songs being dragged out to epic proportions.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 446
    I can totally hear a part of Corduroy in the bridge section.  Just for a small section it's almost identical.
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,854
    BF25394 said:
    Just listened for the first time. I hope I like it more within the context of the album. I’m just not into adult contemporary PJ. 
    Not a fan of "Off He Goes"? "Wishlist"? "I Am Mine"? "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"? "Black"? "Better Man"?
    To be fair, this sounds nothing like any of those.  Those are all singable.  This word salad is not.
    "Nothing like" them? They're all midtempo rock songs. This song seems very singable to me. We just haven't had time to learn the words.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,572
    I get both sides of the argument here. I can totally hear this at the dentist office between a U2 and Coldplay song. It is interesting that some people don't hear the Petty vibes in the final stretches of the song. I find that one to be super obvious. As for me, I like the song. It is not among my favorites on the album but I can dig it.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    I get the hint of Corduroy too. Sub in "Everything has changed" for "Holding on" and voila. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    Niko80 said:
    I get both sides of the argument here. I can totally hear this at the dentist office between a U2 and Coldplay song. It is interesting that some people don't hear the Petty vibes in the final stretches of the song. I find that one to be super obvious. As for me, I like the song. It is not among my favorites on the album but I can dig it.
    I didn’t think Petty at first. But it did remind me a lot of Long Way and I instantly thought Petty on that one. 
    My only complaint with it is the outro is 2 minutes long, nearly half the song. Now that I’m thinking it, I felt the same with Long Way too.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 716
    Beautiful lyrics and vocal. Real tearjerker if you connect to the emotion of it. Eddie’s imagery and down to earthness around loss and destruction is what pulls you in. And then, yea there’s some Cure and Petty nods instrumentally, which is all righteous. Fuckin’ a. 
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560
    The key to this song is that its lyrically tied to Setting Sun.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,022
    Vedd Hedd said:
    The key to this song is that it’s lyrically tied to Setting Sun.
    And was there a lyric connection between Scared of Fear and Setting Sun? I’ve only had the two listens but when I saw the lyrics in the theatre I vaguely remember a link there too? Sorry I digress. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    Vedd Hedd said:
    The key to this song is that it’s lyrically tied to Setting Sun.
    And was there a lyric connection between Scared of Fear and Setting Sun? I’ve only had the two listens but when I saw the lyrics in the theatre I vaguely remember a link there too? Sorry I digress. 
    Yes, SoF drops a setting sun line in the lyrics. Noticed that at the movie theatre too.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    GianGiovi94GianGiovi94 Italy Posts: 74
    Is Dark Matter already out in New zealand?
    Milan 2014, Trieste 2014, Milan 2018, Padua 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2022, Imola 2022, Frankfurt 2022, Wien 2022, Prague 2022, Amsterdam-1 2022