Options

WRECKAGE

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Buckle Up is second to only Johnny Guitar in terms all time great Pearl Jam songs. 

This is not up for debate. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Right. It's one thing to not be feeling a song. Nobody likes everything. When I come across a song or thread like that, I generally say, "I'm not really enjoying this one but I'm glad others are." Major Comic Book Guy energy to a lot of the criticism on this thread. It's annoying. Just let people be excited.

everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    Right. It's one thing to not be feeling a song. Nobody likes everything. When I come across a song or thread like that, I generally say, "I'm not really enjoying this one but I'm glad others are." Major Comic Book Guy energy to a lot of the criticism on this thread. It's annoying. Just let people be excited.

Hardly anyone here can write even one good song but they are quick to say a certain PJ song sucks even though these guys are super talented and legit hall of fame musicians. It’s comical. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    edited April 18
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    DL136722 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Wreckage is absolutely awesome.
    Nope
    See this is the kind of response I just dont understand.  It's clear you dont like it.   Said multiple times.  Why try to ruin someone else's enjoyment of it?  

Like its one thing to say, "Hey I dont like it, but whatever".   But you are literally responding to someone's positive post about it.   Not mad, just dont understand the desire to continue to beat a dead horse. 
    And also: it has been out for a day. Maybe give it a week before rushing to the internet to declare "Worst. Song. Ever."
    Sure that too.  But I mean, I have not liked songs right off the bat in the past, too.  I never was on board with Buckle Up.  I liked some of the lyrics, but musically, it's not something I would really listen to.  But some people enjoyed it, I just never would respond with, "nope it sucks!". 

Whatever, live and let live I would say.   If someone is enjoying the crap out of something, let them.  Life is too short to be pissing in anyone's cornflakes.

Quote of the day "life is too short to be pissing in anyone's cornflakes."
  • Options
    Buckle Up is second to only Johnny Guitar in terms all time great Pearl Jam songs. 

I'm with you on this
  • Options
    PJammin' said:

Hardly anyone here can write even one good song but they are quick to say a certain PJ song sucks even though these guys are super talented and legit hall of fame musicians. It’s comical. 
    100%
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,505

Haha, i enjoyed JG right off the bat. It was weird and fun. I knew it wouldnt last.

I guess I had a one night stand with Johnny Guitar.

I have never Buckled Up. But I do appreciate the experimentation.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 236
    EV @ the 3:50 mark…my goodness
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    southpsouthp Posts: 269
    First listen and I’m really liking Wreckage. That outro is just 👌🏻
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    edited April 19
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, I just realized where I have heard Stone's chord progression for "Wreckage" before: "Learning to Fly" by Tom Petty.

Edit: I see that it has already been mentioned.
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    After only listening to the 3 singles one time, in order, and liking Dark Matter a lot, digging Running a bit, and being disappointed with Wreckage, I'm here to say I that while the jury is still out for me as far as which is my least favorite, and Wreckage MAY still be it...it's still a good song (sounded better the second time, blasting in my car vs. at work through my headphones the other day).

I'm sorry Wreckage...you are not hated.  Even if after a couple more full album listens I still rank you #11, there is no shame in that.  Your brothers and sisters are hard to compete with.  I may even be as bold to say that Wreckage is better than my least two favorites off of Gigaton - Retrograde, and maybe my least favorite PJ studio 'song' of all time, Take The Long Way.

The album as a whole kicked ass just as I knew it ultimately would!!!
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 252
    Is Wreckage getting any airplay at the US radio?
    Love the song!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Great song. Heard it on the radio today and smiled...Then turned off the radio and played it again on Spotify. Figured out how to play this on guitar last night - Really fun song to play and to listen to.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Vedd Hedd said:

Haha, i enjoyed JG right off the bat. It was weird and fun. I knew it wouldnt last.

I Buckle Up every afternoon. Would recommend all the rest of you do the same. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,759
    When I listened to the whole album last night this song was the one that grabbed me. It's like the lyrics just jumped out and grabbed me, shades of Pendulum from Lightning Bolt for me. 
    So happy this is the album they had in them this time, but this song will always be a stand out for me. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 230
    MikeDigs said:
    Was thrown off initially by this track, and after repeated listens, I still can't get on board with the initial verses and chorus.  It's the pop-like melodies I think.

However, I really love the outro to this song.  From 3:00 mark and onward, it's wonderful.  The outro is the reason why I won't skip this track, and I will endure the initial verses lol.  And I imagine that I'll like this track more once heard in succession with the other tracks, as it sounds like this album is great as a whole.
    Just as I suspected, hearing this with the rest of the album, I do now like this track.  All of the melodies fit and work within the context of the album.  And the outro to this track is so good.
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 614
    I absolutely love this song. May be a top 10 all time PJ song for me. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    ZoSoTim said:
    I absolutely love this song. May be a top 10 all time PJ song for me. 
    Agreed.  Right now Wreckage and Setting Sun are my two favorites.  

I’d say React Respond and Something Special are my bottom two.  I still like them but something has to be last. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,813
    Sorry if it’s been mentioned  but who is doing the harmonies and backing vocals?
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,133
    More I hear this the more it hits me in the feels. I love it
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    After only listening to the 3 singles one time, in order, and liking Dark Matter a lot, digging Running a bit, and being disappointed with Wreckage, I'm here to say I that while the jury is still out for me as far as which is my least favorite, and Wreckage MAY still be it...it's still a good song (sounded better the second time, blasting in my car vs. at work through my headphones the other day).

I'm sorry Wreckage...you are not hated.  Even if after a couple more full album listens I still rank you #11, there is no shame in that.  Your brothers and sisters are hard to compete with.  I may even be as bold to say that Wreckage is better than my least two favorites off of Gigaton - Retrograde, and maybe my least favorite PJ studio 'song' of all time, Take The Long Way.

The album as a whole kicked ass just as I knew it ultimately would!!!
    Have you always disliked those 2 songs?
    When Gigaton was released, Retrograde and Take the Lng Way were the tow songs I didn't like at all.  4 years and over 100 listens later they are my two favorite tracks on the album and two of my favorite recordings ever.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,955
    nicknyr15 said:
    Sorry if it’s been mentioned  but who is doing the harmonies and backing vocals?
    I think I read somewhere where there is 3 or 4 doing the backing vocal? Presumably the band. One being one of the engineers as Watt felt as though they needed one more person. Smithy?? Think this was the song he mentioned. It came from one of the posted Watt interviews iirc. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Loving this track…
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,011
    I think it's ed layered. And Matt and josh will do it live as the others are not good at singing harmony live
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,687
    nicknyr15 said:
    I think I read somewhere where there is 3 or 4 doing the backing vocal? Presumably the band. One being one of the engineers as Watt felt as though they needed one more person. Smithy?? Think this was the song he mentioned. It came from one of the posted Watt interviews iirc. 
    Smity was on Running. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smity was on Running. 
    Ah yeah it was, you’re right! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    hhblueshhblues Posts: 5
    I get Petty Learning to Fly in the guitar
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,351
    Vedd Hedd said:

I Buckle Up every afternoon. Would recommend all the rest of you do the same. 
    Don't listen to him, kids. Just say no.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    It’s growing on me. Wasn’t sure how I felt about it at first tbh. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 230
    edited April 23
    This song has grown on me.  Many catchy parts and I love the bridge.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on