Options

WRECKAGE

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    TN49724 said:
    Waiting for Stevie is the one song so many of us are dying to hear.  I’ve never heard so many different reviews/journalists/fans/Stone hype it up as a total callback to early stuff 
     its amazing...and the solo..it has the same feeling like u head Breath solo

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Wreckage is absolutely awesome.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,022
    TN49724 said:
    Waiting for Stevie is the one song so many of us are dying to hear.  I’ve never heard so many different reviews/journalists/fans/Stone hype it up as a total callback to early stuff 
     its amazing...and the solo..it has the same feeling like u head Breath solo

My personal favourite. Anyway back to Wreckage. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,022
    I have Wreckage towards the bottom end of my list at the moment. Now, that’s after just two listens and mainly because I love all of the others so much too. Hey, something has to be towards the bottom if you rank them. I’m sure this will change over time. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 290
    This albums 7 o clock. Beautiful music with Word Salad on top. 

The music is fantastic but the lyrics / vocals are the weak link here.  Nothing catchy that you can sing, no angst, no passion.  Just kind of there. Probably would be better as an instrumental. 

Can't really see this one being great live. Like 7 o clock it will just exist.
    If you listen to 7 o'clock and Wreckage and think there's "no passion" "no angst" or no emotion, then idk what you're listening. There's definitely anger + sadness in Eddie's voice in both songs. It's just channeled and expressed differently. It's just a different style. If you don't like it, that's fine, but would be wrong to say there's no emotion to it. 
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    tylerj said:
    This albums 7 o clock. Beautiful music with Word Salad on top. 

The music is fantastic but the lyrics / vocals are the weak link here.  Nothing catchy that you can sing, no angst, no passion.  Just kind of there. Probably would be better as an instrumental. 

Can't really see this one being great live. Like 7 o clock it will just exist.
    If you listen to 7 o'clock and Wreckage and think there's "no passion" "no angst" or no emotion, then idk what you're listening. There's definitely anger + sadness in Eddie's voice in both songs. It's just channeled and expressed differently. It's just a different style. If you don't like it, that's fine, but would be wrong to say there's no emotion to it. 
    Agreed. But...to each, their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,854
    Just listened for the first time. I hope I like it more within the context of the album. I’m just not into adult contemporary PJ. 
    Not a fan of "Off He Goes"? "Wishlist"? "I Am Mine"? "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"? "Black"? "Better Man"?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,739
    Lifted said:
    The first two singles were quite aggressive musically. Did people not expect something a little different for the next thing? Jeez.
    I dont think anyone is hating on it for not being agressive...they're hating on it because they don't like the song. Simple as that.
    People are calling it "adult contemporary" (like a song from Kiss 100 or something) so yes definitely hating on it for not being aggressive. Anyway I found the themes to be fairly heavy, even if the tempo/instrumentation isn't so much. Only two listens and I want to just wait for the album now. Which I expect to be as richly diverse as all the rest of this amazing band's work.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 544
    edited April 17
    BF25394 said:
    Just listened for the first time. I hope I like it more within the context of the album. I’m just not into adult contemporary PJ. 
    Not a fan of "Off He Goes"? "Wishlist"? "I Am Mine"? "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"? "Black"? "Better Man"?
    Every one of these tracks is an absolute banger.   Wreckage has vibes, sonically, like that song that goes "shut up and dance with me"  very pop rock.  ugh.  Not sure how this got created.   I'm a Pearl Jam mega fan too, and and I don't see how a mega fan produced this.

I play Off He Goes on repeat many times. Such a stellar track

Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,560
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    Every one of these tracks is an absolute banger.   Wreckage has vibes, sonically, like that song that goes "shut up and dance with me"  ugh.  Not sure how this got created.   I'm a Pearl Jam mega fan too, and and I don't see how a mega fan produced this.

wut?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    YieldwaukeeYieldwaukee Posts: 100
    So much Earthings in this! Loved Earthlings stuff and Watt produced this too so not unexpected.
    This was my thought as well. Earthlings grew on me after many listens and I can see Wreckage being the same. I do know that this song will be the new song my wife is excited to hear live this summer.

2014 - Milwaukee
    2016 - Fenway N1
    2018 - Wrigley N1
    2022 - Oakland N1
    2023 - St Paul N1
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    Every one of these tracks is an absolute banger.   Wreckage has vibes, sonically, like that song that goes "shut up and dance with me"  ugh.  Not sure how this got created.   I'm a Pearl Jam mega fan too, and and I don't see how a mega fan produced this.

wut?
    I guess I meant a top 40 pop rock sound. 
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    Every one of these tracks is an absolute banger.   Wreckage has vibes, sonically, like that song that goes "shut up and dance with me"  very pop rock.  ugh.  Not sure how this got created.   I'm a Pearl Jam mega fan too, and and I don't see how a mega fan produced this.

The point is that these are songs that can fairly be described as "adult contemporary." If you think those songs are "bangers," but find other midtempo latter-day Pearl Jam songs to be underwhelming, I think it says more about the fact that you are not the same person in 2024 that you were in 1994 or 2004 than it does about the quality of Pearl Jam's music. (To be clear, that's not a knock on you. None of us in the same place emotionally or in our lives as we were thirty years ago.)
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,727
    Lifted said:
    The first two singles were quite aggressive musically. Did people not expect something a little different for the next thing? Jeez.
    I dont think anyone is hating on it for not being agressive...they're hating on it because they don't like the song. Simple as that.
    People are calling it "adult contemporary" (like a song from Kiss 100 or something) so yes definitely hating on it for not being aggressive. Anyway I found the themes to be fairly heavy, even if the tempo/instrumentation isn't so much. Only two listens and I want to just wait for the album now. Which I expect to be as richly diverse as all the rest of this amazing band's work.
    Not familiar with kiss 100...but in the context of your gripe, I'd probably agree. This song reminds me of Mandy Moore's recent music with Eddie Vedder on vocals. I would know because my wife listens to her.
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    Not familiar with kiss 100...but in the context of your gripe, I'd probably agree. This song reminds me of Mandy Moore's recent music with Eddie Vedder on vocals. I would know because my wife listens to her.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited April 17
    mfc2006 said:
    100%  I think it's one of their best singles ever.  That's such a well crafted song.  

3:22 onward was goosebumps inducing in the theater
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    edited April 17
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

The point is that these are songs that can fairly be described as "adult contemporary." If you think those songs are "bangers," but find other midtempo latter-day Pearl Jam songs to be underwhelming, I think it says more about the fact that you are not the same person in 2024 that you were in 1994 or 2004 than it does about the quality of Pearl Jam's music. (To be clear, that's not a knock on you. None of us in the same place emotionally or in our lives as we were thirty years ago.)
    I actually just took the plunge in to No Code this past January, as for some reason over the years I had never jumped in to it.  And wow, I absolutely adore No Code, what a gem of an album.  Front to back.  And Off He Goes stands out and I really love it.

For Wreckage, I think it's the vocal melodies and general style of music through the verse and chorus.  There is one bridge that I like, and the outro is cool tho.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 627
    Zane Lowe interview up on Apple Music 👍 
    https://music.apple.com/us/curator/the-zane-lowe-show/990050553
  • Options
    MarcvHMarcvH Amersfoort, Netherlands Posts: 25
    this song makes me appreciate running more
    Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Werchter 2010, Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I 2014, Amsterdam II 2017 (Ed Solo), Amsterdam I 2018, Amsterdam II 2018, Amsterdam I 2022, Amsterdam II 2022, Berlin I 2024, Berlin II 2024 and... was on the quest list of Vera Groningen 1996.. but went to my girlfriends father's birthday instead, damned!
  • Options
    dani11dani11 uk Posts: 42
    mfc2006 said:
    100%  I think it's one of their best singles ever.  That's such a well crafted song.  

3:22 onward was goosebumps inducing in the theater
    Totally agree 3.22 onwards is amazing. I first heard Wreckage cycling home in the dark looking at the stars...so just made it even better for me.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Uh oh.  This isn't what I was expecting.

I'm going to listen to Leash now to cleanse my ears and restore balance.
    Lol. I can't get over it. I've listened to it probably 10 times today trying to figure out what people are liking. Nope, still terrible. This is pop rock for the dentist office, not the Pearl Jam I love. It's totally bland and boring. They've been sprinkling in this stuff since backspacer, and im fearing they did more than sprinkle with the new album. I thought the first half of gigaton was a return to form, and was hopeful they still had some creative juice left...we'll see what Friday brings, but if this isnt the clear cut worst song on the album, I don't think I'm going to be into it.
    Guys: Vs. isn't coming back. That was over 30 years ago. This is ... kind of what 60-year-old rock bands sound like? I would be so embarrassed if they were still trying to write Blood 2 or something. I'm glad they've softened with age. Most of us do.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

Lol. I can't get over it. I've listened to it probably 10 times today trying to figure out what people are liking. Nope, still terrible. This is pop rock for the dentist office, not the Pearl Jam I love. It's totally bland and boring. They've been sprinkling in this stuff since backspacer, and im fearing they did more than sprinkle with the new album. I thought the first half of gigaton was a return to form, and was hopeful they still had some creative juice left...we'll see what Friday brings, but if this isnt the clear cut worst song on the album, I don't think I'm going to be into it.
    Guys: Vs. isn't coming back. That was over 30 years ago. This is ... kind of what 60-year-old rock bands sound like? I would be so embarrassed if they were still trying to write Blood 2 or something. I'm glad they've softened with age. Most of us do.
    Oh god...this again. This seems to he the default reaction that anyone who doesnt like new material gets from the unofficial gatekeepers. Just because I think the song sucks, doesn't mean I think they should be regurgitating music like they did in the 90s. I'm all for artistic revolution and growth. I just dont think Pearl Jam has been very successful in their attempts to reinvent themselves. I still love them though.

I'm also a big fan of radiohead/thom Yorke and Wilco...two artists who also came up in a similar Era as Pj, and both of whom I think are still recording brilliant and inspiring music. This pop version of Pearl Jam is just falling flat to me.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

Oh god...this again. This seems to he the default reaction that anyone who doesnt like new material gets from the unofficial gatekeepers. Just because I think the song sucks, doesn't mean I think they should be regurgitating music like they did in the 90s. I'm all for artistic revolution and growth. I just dont think Pearl Jam has been very successful in their attempts to reinvent themselves. I still love them though.

I'm also a big fan of radiohead/thom Yorke and Wilco...two artists who also came up in a similar Era as Pj, and both of whom I think are still recording brilliant and inspiring music. This pop version of Pearl Jam is just falling flat to me.
    This is really interesting. My holy trinity of bands are, in order, Pearl Jam, Wilco and Radiohead. I've seen Pearl Jam 70 times. I've seen Wilco 52 times, and Jeff Tweedy almost 100 times (including from the front row four times in five nights just this past week). My first Wilco show was in June 1995. I was a fan when there were very few fans. I attended many sparsely attended Wilco shows in the '90s. So I say this with as much Wilco literacy as a person can have: the three albums released from 2015 to 2019, Star WarsSchmilco and Ode to Joy are the clear low point in the Wilco catalog. Thankfully, Cruel Country and Cousin reversed the trend. And as much as I love Radiohead, they have released two albums since 2007 and, while those two albums are underappreciated, they are also not at the level of the albums from The Bends through In Rainbows.

So, mileage varies.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "Thom Yorke/Radiohead," so you may be referring to his solo work and/or The Smile here, although I still don't think any of that holds a candle to Radiohead's output from 1995 through 2007.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

You should have said this the first time. You like your music complicated. I get it. I used to be this way.

Me, I don't necessarily need to be impressed by my favorite bands anymore. Just moved. A song doesn't have to be complicated to do that to me. Three chords and the truth works, too. 
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

You should have said this the first time. You like your music complicated. I get it. I used to be this way.

Me, I don't necessarily need to be impressed by my favorite bands anymore. Just moved. A song doesn't have to be complicated to do that to me. Three chords and the truth works, too. 
    No you don't get it. But you are full of assumptions to validate your defensiveness over someone else's opinion of someone else's art for some reason.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,323
    BF25394 said:
    To be fair, this sounds nothing like any of those.  Those are all singable.  This word salad is not.
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 343
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

define successful.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 918
    First listen 5/10
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

No you don't get it. But you are full of assumptions to validate your defensiveness over someone else's opinion of someone else's art for some reason.
    I don't mean any offense on this, because I get it, and not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok. But I think it's probably because you continue to offer your opinion that the song sucks. And to the level in which it sucks.

Which is fine,  too, but just expect some blowback from people who are genuinely moved by the song. 

Usually when I love something, I tend to gush over it. When I dislike something, I tend to just not say anything, or give my opinion and move on from it. 
    "This one doesn't hit me."

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    To be fair, this sounds nothing like any of those.  Those are all singable.  This word salad is not.
    You either don't know what the idiom "word salad" means or you don't understand what the song is about. Like the song or not, but to act as if the lyrics aren't perfectly clear is odd and inaccurate. There's nothing confusing about it.