Options

WRECKAGE

Comments

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,671
    edited April 17
    Lol that doesn't sound like Given to Fly at all. It's a little too early in the morning for you guys to be on acid. Anyway, I'll be interested to delve into the lyrics. I hear some interesting stuff going on there at first listen.
    No...it sounds like learning to fly by Tom Petty. Only its not very good.

Also, it's never too early for acid.
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Agree with the Petty vibes, really digging this and think it'll be great live. 
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,569
    Think I'll wait one more day and listen to it with the album as a whole. 
  • Options
    This albums 7 o clock. Beautiful music with Word Salad on top. 

The music is fantastic but the lyrics / vocals are the weak link here.  Nothing catchy that you can sing, no angst, no passion.  Just kind of there. Probably would be better as an instrumental. 

Can't really see this one being great live. Like 7 o clock it will just exist.
    I thought 7 o clock was a pretty good song. This song would probably be better off not existing at all. I might have to make my own edit of this album and erase some songs. I'll replace this one with 'get it back' which is actually better than a lot of their album tracks from the past 20 years.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,873
    Me too. Not a fan of so many singles. Hate this format. 1 single then drop the album 3 weeks later. Kings of Leon doing the same thing. They’ll have 3 singles possibly more before the album drops. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Me too. Not a fan of so many singles. Hate this format. 1 single then drop the album 3 weeks later. Kings of Leon doing the same thing. They’ll have 3 singles possibly more before the album drops. 
    I hate it too and wish this wasn't how I was being exposed to the album. Piece by piece. But I don't have enough self control to wait.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,232

🤣🤣🤣
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 108
    I went to the theatrical experience last night, wreckage was one of my favorites although hard to choose as I liked basically all of the songs to a similar degree.

I agree with lifted in the sense that this album, to me, is NOT heavy at all really other than maybe running and dark matter singles..so i was also wondering what the hell they were talking about it with it being heavy lol.

As far as lightning bolt and sirens i loved that song and the album was pretty decent as a whole, not top 5 for sure, but good. I find myself still loving their Ten and Vs stuff the most, but I also love their new stuff too even though it does sound different, i mean eddie is a 60 year old smoker who doesn't maybe take the absolute best care of his vocals and he still is better than basically any other rockers in his age range to me anyway. 

I think a lot of people take "heavy" especially in connection with the first two singles as way too literal. Music can be heavy without having a punk rock tempo and shredding power chords or Eruption like guitar play. There is emotional heavy like a lot of Bob Dylan was for example (All Along the Watchtower or Shelter from the storm) and even those songs can be played "heavy". 
    And Wreckage, while no punk rock or doom metal song is definitely played heavy, unlike Sirens for example.  
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    Get it Back is a good song. After 4 years of Gigaton, I dont find myself playing 7 o'clock that much.  Its fine.  Too long, imo.  
    I didnt like Retrograde at all until I heard it live. 
    River Cross is a good song, but it's just so....dour?...sounding.  Dont listen to that too much.  

I like Wreckage over any of these though. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 836
    I went to the theatrical experience last night, wreckage was one of my favorites although hard to choose as I liked basically all of the songs to a similar degree.

I agree with lifted in the sense that this album, to me, is NOT heavy at all really other than maybe running and dark matter singles..so i was also wondering what the hell they were talking about it with it being heavy lol.

As far as lightning bolt and sirens i loved that song and the album was pretty decent as a whole, not top 5 for sure, but good. I find myself still loving their Ten and Vs stuff the most, but I also love their new stuff too even though it does sound different, i mean eddie is a 60 year old smoker who doesn't maybe take the absolute best care of his vocals and he still is better than basically any other rockers in his age range to me anyway. 

I think a lot of people take "heavy" especially in connection with the first two singles as way too literal. Music can be heavy without having a punk rock tempo and shredding power chords or Eruption like guitar play. There is emotional heavy like a lot of Bob Dylan was for example (All Along the Watchtower or Shelter from the storm) and even those songs can be played "heavy". 
    And Wreckage, while no punk rock or doom metal song is definitely played heavy, unlike Sirens for example.  
    Oh don’t worry, there are some super shreddy, heavy guitar solos from Mr McCready, dare I say, that rival the end of Alive. 
  • Options
    Joe118Joe118 Posts: 67
    Definitely a Tom Petty influenced song. It's beautiful though. I love it. 
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,257
    Lovely song, but I really really hate the drum sound. Other than that, seems classic PJ to me.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 936
    This song would cheer you up no end. What an absolute peach of a song. Love it

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    Seven o'clock is a really good song. I love the lyrics and the meaning too....only issue is it lasts about a minute or two too long.

This is pretty good too, but I got Petty vibes, not Seven O'clock vibes...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921
    I hear a combo of the beginning of Retrograde layered into 7 O'Clock musically.  Good song, I like the layering in the voice.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,813
    Reminds me of Sirens.    I’m not saying it sounds like Sirens but that’s the first thing I thought of while hearing it. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,873
    Edved82 said:
    Lovely song, but I really really hate the drum sound. Other than that, seems classic PJ to me.
    That same terrible snare sound that was on earthlings. Awful. 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,523
    It’s a grower but not bad.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 333
    edited April 17
    Uh oh.  This isn't what I was expecting.

I'm going to listen to Leash now to cleanse my ears and restore balance.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,297
    Lifted said:
    This albums 7 o clock. Beautiful music with Word Salad on top. 

The music is fantastic but the lyrics / vocals are the weak link here.  Nothing catchy that you can sing, no angst, no passion.  Just kind of there. Probably would be better as an instrumental. 

Can't really see this one being great live. Like 7 o clock it will just exist.
    I thought 7 o clock was a pretty good song. This song would probably be better off not existing at all. I might have to make my own edit of this album and erase some songs. I'll replace this one with 'get it back' which is actually better than a lot of their album tracks from the past 20 years.
    I like 7 o clock studio.  Hate it live.  I guess that's the comparison I went for - there are almost no PJ songs that are better studio then live.  This gives me that vibe that i can listen to it as part of an album but it will dud hard live because it's another emotionless word salad.

I will stand on the hill all alone that it would have been a kick ass instrumental
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:

Lol. I can't get over it. I've listened to it probably 10 times today trying to figure out what people are liking. Nope, still terrible. This is pop rock for the dentist office, not the Pearl Jam I love. It's totally bland and boring. They've been sprinkling in this stuff since backspacer, and im fearing they did more than sprinkle with the new album. I thought the first half of gigaton was a return to form, and was hopeful they still had some creative juice left...we'll see what Friday brings, but if this isnt the clear cut worst song on the album, I don't think I'm going to be into it.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 590
    MikeDigs said:

You go do that... listen to a 30 year old album made by guys in their 20s.  I, for one, welcome a band I've followed for three decades trying new things (new producer, new way of assembling songs).  It's been a fun ride growing with this band, no?  Do you really want a guy pushing 60 to yell at you to get out of his fucking face? Why rehash what's been done?  AC/DC  is there for you if you want the same formula over and over.

I went to the theater showing last night and walked away feeling like the album was really, really solid and would be another unique fit in their catalogue.  The only two albums I feel are very similar are Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.  They both have Brendan O'Brien production.  I can't remember, were some LB songs left over from the Backspacer sessions?  LB has longer songs than Backspacer, but I feel they're closer siblings than any other Pearl Jam albums.  Love that they have so many different feeling albums.  

Gigaton felt very ambitious and I like it, but it definitely took a few listens.  Again, love how that one was an attempt at something new.  I think Dark Matter has hit me quicker... the second playing in the theater (with lyrics) had my approval.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 604
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

Lol. I can't get over it. I've listened to it probably 10 times today trying to figure out what people are liking. Nope, still terrible. This is pop rock for the dentist office, not the Pearl Jam I love. It's totally bland and boring. They've been sprinkling in this stuff since backspacer, and im fearing they did more than sprinkle with the new album. I thought the first half of gigaton was a return to form, and was hopeful they still had some creative juice left...we'll see what Friday brings, but if this isnt the clear cut worst song on the album, I don't think I'm going to be into it.
    So just to be clear, you don’t like this song? Jk.

I find the path of the song, some of the choices on the way the song builds and descends and builds again, to be effective emotionally in combination with what I find to be very good lyrics and melody from Ed. 
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    nicknyr15 said:
    so that's not new nor out of character for PJ. it's the script for bigger artists these days now also.

but, I can't say your idea is a bad one for preserving the "newness" of as many tracks as possible.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

“Pearl Adult Contemporary” as opposed to “Pearl Jam” is what I’ve been calling these sort of songs over the past decade and a half. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    Wreckage sounds like an Earthlings song.. not a PJ song. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    Definitely not my cup of tea.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,027
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:

“Pearl Adult Contemporary” as opposed to “Pearl Jam” is what I’ve been calling these sort of songs over the past decade and a half. 

Yes. I like many of the songs on Dark Matter. But not as much of fan of Wreckage. It reminds me of what we used to call AM radio soft rock. This and Something Special are the two I wish weren’t on there. The rest, I really like. 
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 333
    wnh1977 said:
    MikeDigs said:

You go do that... listen to a 30 year old album made by guys in their 20s.  I, for one, welcome a band I've followed for three decades trying new things (new producer, new way of assembling songs).  It's been a fun ride growing with this band, no?  Do you really want a guy pushing 60 to yell at you to get out of his fucking face? Why rehash what's been done?  AC/DC  is there for you if you want the same formula over and over.

I went to the theater showing last night and walked away feeling like the album was really, really solid and would be another unique fit in their catalogue.  The only two albums I feel are very similar are Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.  They both have Brendan O'Brien production.  I can't remember, were some LB songs left over from the Backspacer sessions?  LB has longer songs than Backspacer, but I feel they're closer siblings than any other Pearl Jam albums.  Love that they have so many different feeling albums.  

Gigaton felt very ambitious and I like it, but it definitely took a few listens.  Again, love how that one was an attempt at something new.  I think Dark Matter has hit me quicker... the second playing in the theater (with lyrics) had my approval.
    I'm just not into the Pop Rock sound at all.  And that 30 year album is a classic.  The first 5 Pearl Jam albums are stellar classics.  I was open to some new change of course, I love new sound.  But this song with the Pop Rock sound, I can't get in to.

I love Running and Dark Matter though.  I'm hoping this is a bottom 3 track for me.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,773
    wnh1977 said:
    MikeDigs said:

You nailed it right here. The people complaining, maybe Pearl Jam isn’t for you anymore. As with life, we all get older and change. Pearl Jam are where they are supposed to be at this time in their lives. This isn’t the 90’s anymore and they aren’t coming back. You either go along for the ride or hitch on to something else. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.