Options

Running is out !

Comments

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 589
    Vedd Hedd said:
    To me, it seemed to be all about the bullshit you hear from people, ot maybe media, or political figures.

Running from all the shit your pushing.
    In a tunnel, the tunnel is getting funneled, like sewage or plumbing cause we left the water running.

I can def see this. Another thought was sewage, pollution in the ocean with a tunnel wave:

“Lost in the tunnel and the tunnel ain’t no fun
    Now I’m lost in all the shit you’re flushing”

Maybe more just a vibe of frustration, running from a lot of bad news.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    I'm glad this band is still active, playing, recording, putting the effort and energy out there.  I'm glad the two songs work as well for as many fans as appears to be the case.

Me?  It's not like I feel like I'm missing out, I just don't feel pulled in.  But that's cool, I still have my earlier favorite PJ LPs, I still think the bands members are good guys, and I still think the fans here are some of the best of any out there.

So rock on, dig the tunes, and have a great time with the new record!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,148
    Ivancmpj said:
    After several listens: Wonderful. listened in a Bose minisoundlink II . More powerfull than Supersonic. 
    MORE POWERFUL
    THAN
    TWO CLEOPATRAS
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,975
    I’m loving this track more and more after a few more listens this wkend! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,148
    Hawk123 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hawk123 said:
    vedpunk said:
    If you ignore them, they will go away.  They’re just crying for the attention. 
    That’s exactly it, I’m all for different opinions but it’s starting to feel like attention seeking or contrarianism. We’re on a Pearl Jam message board so by saying a lot of negative things about everything they do, it’s pretty easy to get the attention you crave. 

Are you really for different opinions though cause it kind of feels like you are not…

Absolutely, but when it’s non stop beating a dead horse to go against any positive opinion, it starts to feel like attention seeking. Remember, this is just my opinion which is allowed, right? 
    Aren’t you helping with the nonstop beating the dead horse that is complaining about the people that don’t just post positive opinions? 

Being on a message board shouldn’t feel like going to a voting booth in Russia. But an awful amount of people seems to want to Putin this place up and control other members. 

Remember, this is just my opinion which is allowed, right? Or is it not positive enough. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    IvancmpjIvancmpj Posts: 9
    I’m loving this track more and more after a few more listens this wkend! 
    This. Grow and grow
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,565
    Why do some people get off on telling others to go away.  Very odd. 
    Obviously they love Pearl Jam or they would not be here
    You don't have to love recent music to love the band
      You also don't have to love the last album to be super excited to see your favorite band live, and to want good access to tickets, and to want to see your friends on tour.
    Fuck.

Some just have a hard time accepting that new pj doesn't click with everyone. It has a tendency to get personal. I was a bit like that as well back in the PJ heydays. Everyone was wrong, except me and my pj / grunge buddies B)
    Personally, I don't fancy most of the material on the last three albums. Still - pj remains my favorite band.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,351

Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 270
    Has anyone heard Running on the radio yet?
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,695
    Hawk123 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hawk123 said:
    vedpunk said:
    That’s exactly it, I’m all for different opinions but it’s starting to feel like attention seeking or contrarianism. We’re on a Pearl Jam message board so by saying a lot of negative things about everything they do, it’s pretty easy to get the attention you crave. 

Are you really for different opinions though cause it kind of feels like you are not…

Absolutely, but when it’s non stop beating a dead horse to go against any positive opinion, it starts to feel like attention seeking. Remember, this is just my opinion which is allowed, right? 
    Aren’t you helping with the nonstop beating the dead horse that is complaining about the people that don’t just post positive opinions? 

Being on a message board shouldn’t feel like going to a voting booth in Russia. But an awful amount of people seems to want to Putin this place up and control other members. 

Remember, this is just my opinion which is allowed, right? Or is it not positive enough. 
    Dude. Your comment doesn’t make sense. He’s talking about the same negative people on here who live on this board and complain about every little thing this band does from the music production, to ticket seat selection, to poster design, to saying this band is washed up, to T shirt thickness, to shipping cost of a record, to the drums, to ticket cost, to record cost, to the fan club T shirt design etc. and they just don’t say it once they just keep repeating it the same crap and then they start a new thread and repeat the same negative complaints that were listed above. It’s old. Trying to convince people of something you don’t like is really sad. I get it if some people don’t like something or connect with something but why do they need to repeat the same issues/ complaints over and over and over. That’s the point and it’s not about Putin or whatever dumb analogy you made. People are solely on here to ruin what should be an exciting time to be a pj fan but because someone lost the lottery for tickets or don’t want to spend $40 on a vinyl we have to listen to them cry about everything under the sun. I have a suggestion, let’s have a thread dedicated to those who just like to whine and cry about meaningless things like a T shirt design or a song or whatever so they can be heard cause they live on here 24/7 but hate everything this  band has released since 2006 and are washed up and blah blah blah. That’s the point to what you responded to. You live on these boards 24/7, wouldn’t you want a more positive  environment or a place where people share things they appreciate about a band since this is a fan site? People can have opinions but it’s the ones who all they do is bitch constantly. You started a thread about how many color variants the band might release and then you started complaining about the cost of the records on another thread. It’s odd. Shits expensive these days, everything is. Buy it if you can or don’t. I wish things were cheaper but that’s life. This isn’t a voting booth in Russia, really dumb analogy btw. It’s just become a place for the negativity that you like to engage in. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,400
    edited March 24
    I enjoy Running, but man I love it more when I can understand Ed. It’s almost distracting trying to figure it out without the lyrics in your face. 

Can’t wait to hear this whole record! Exciting times
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Niko80 said:
      You also don't have to love the last album to be super excited to see your favorite band live, and to want good access to tickets, and to want to see your friends on tour.
    Fuck.

Some just have a hard time accepting that new pj doesn't click with everyone. It has a tendency to get personal. I was a bit like that as well back in the PJ heydays. Everyone was wrong, except me and my pj / grunge buddies B)
    Personally, I don't fancy most of the material on the last three albums. Still - pj remains my favorite band.
    That makes sense.
    I loved the clip shared above where it says the record never lets up.
    This is going to be much better than Gigaton, to me

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 104
    Hawk123 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hawk123 said:
    vedpunk said:

Dude. Your comment doesn’t make sense. He’s talking about the same negative people on here who live on this board and complain about every little thing this band does from the music production, to ticket seat selection, to poster design, to saying this band is washed up, to T shirt thickness, to shipping cost of a record, to the drums, to ticket cost, to record cost, to the fan club T shirt design etc. and they just don’t say it once they just keep repeating it the same crap and then they start a new thread and repeat the same negative complaints that were listed above. It’s old. Trying to convince people of something you don’t like is really sad. I get it if some people don’t like something or connect with something but why do they need to repeat the same issues/ complaints over and over and over. That’s the point and it’s not about Putin or whatever dumb analogy you made. People are solely on here to ruin what should be an exciting time to be a pj fan but because someone lost the lottery for tickets or don’t want to spend $40 on a vinyl we have to listen to them cry about everything under the sun. I have a suggestion, let’s have a thread dedicated to those who just like to whine and cry about meaningless things like a T shirt design or a song or whatever so they can be heard cause they live on here 24/7 but hate everything this  band has released since 2006 and are washed up and blah blah blah. That’s the point to what you responded to. You live on these boards 24/7, wouldn’t you want a more positive  environment or a place where people share things they appreciate about a band since this is a fan site? People can have opinions but it’s the ones who all they do is bitch constantly. You started a thread about how many color variants the band might release and then you started complaining about the cost of the records on another thread. It’s odd. Shits expensive these days, everything is. Buy it if you can or don’t. I wish things were cheaper but that’s life. This isn’t a voting booth in Russia, really dumb analogy btw. It’s just become a place for the negativity that you like to engage in. 
    In one breath the variants are "Icky".  In the next breath, "Euros get screw again because vinyl isnt pretty enough in Europe."  

It must be a Swedish thing? 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,695
    LBCeddie said:
    Hawk123 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hawk123 said:
    vedpunk said:

In one breath the variants are "Icky".  In the next breath, "Euros get screw again because vinyl isnt pretty enough in Europe."  

It must be a Swedish thing? 
    I think he used the word disgusting. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,459
    Has anyone heard Running on the radio yet?
    I am curious about this as well, because there would presumably need to be a radio edit. I have not heard it here in L.A. I have also checked the playlists of the local "alternative rock" stations since the song was released, and it does not appear (although "Dark Matter" continues to be played by both).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
    Hawk123 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hawk123 said:
    vedpunk said:

The Putin analogy is pretty damn tasteless, especially in the context of a fucking message board about a band. Honestly, people really should just ignore the guy at this point - dude averages almost 5 posts every single day over the 18 and a half years he's been a member of this board and every time I see one all he seems to be doing is complaining.

• Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 330
    How can somebody not like this song? Eds voice and vocal delivery are deadly. Cool bass, great drums, gets better everytime. Some people🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,756
    Haijay said:
    How can somebody not like this song? Eds voice and vocal delivery are deadly. Cool bass, great drums, gets better everytime. Some people🤦‍♂️
    Same reason why people think Taylor Swift is the greatest artist of all-time. 🤷‍♂️ 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,005
    Hawk123 said:
    PJNB said:
    Hawk123 said:
    vedpunk said:

Well said, I wasn't going to bother responding since some people only choose to interpret in a way that supports their narrative. Just to clarify what I said before about different opinions

1. Different opinions of course are expected, I said beating a dead horse meaning these same long winded messages are copied word for word into different threads. That's not a discussion, that's spam. 
    2. Bringing up concert ticket prices for the 10th time in a thread discussing the new single goes against the topic integrity rule - what do ticket prices have to do with whether you like the new song or not. What's the point in bringing it up again, in a topic that has nothing to do with it. 

The Putin analogy was stupid and in poor taste.

• Options
    edited March 24
    PJammin' said:
    Haijay said:
    Same reason why people think Taylor Swift is the greatest artist of all-time. 🤷‍♂️ 
    I'll square this circle by stating that: A) I like "Running"; and B ) Taylor Swift is (one of) the greatest artists of all-time. I can't go so far as to say she's the greatest artist of all-time*, but I have considered her for quite a while to be the Greatest Living American.

*That's an interesting question. From a contemporary popular music standpoint, the Beatles seem like objectively the right answer. From a historical standpoint (if "all-time" really means "all-time"), I suppose it would be someone like Beethoven or Mozart, but I'd defer to someone better-versed in classical music than I am. Obviously, whether we're talking about the Beatles, Swift, Beethoven or Mozart, I'm placing emphasis on composition as much as performance. People like Frank Sinatra, Billie Holliday, Whitney Houston, etc., are all incredible artists, but their primary skill was in interpreting the compositions of others.
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 690
    edited March 24
    Fuck.

This is why on a forum dedicated to my favourite band, the place I like the most is a thread about running 😂

The rest is constant bickering... From all sides 
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 154
    jesselms said:
    I don't post often but felt compelled after hearing running. Running feels more like a B side or at best just a filler album song. Seems an odd choice, by far the shortest song on the album 
    Merkinball is the only PJ release without a filler track.
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:
    I don't post often but felt compelled after hearing running. Running feels more like a B side or at best just a filler album song. Seems an odd choice, by far the shortest song on the album 

Binaural has no filler. I'll assume you argue that 'Soon Forget' is filler, but I completely disagree. I think it fits the theme of the album perfectly.
  • Options
    edited March 24
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

Binaural has no filler. I'll assume you argue that 'Soon Forget' is filler, but I completely disagree. I think it fits the theme of the album perfectly.
    Sleight of hand is not in my top 200 PJ songs. SF is dog food.

Probably their most underrated album though - Thin Air and Rival are absolute diamonds.
    Post edited by Tjm007 on
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

Probably their most underrated album though - Thin Air and Rival are absolute diamonds.

Heh, I consider 'Slight of Hand' to be one of their best songs, but then again Binaural is my favorite Pearl Jam album. The ever-so-slight edge that it has over Yield is 'Wishlist' has never been a favorite of mine (having to hear it live every time I've seen them and then suffering through a 'jam' on that song has left me with PTSD).

My 'dog food' songs are 'Sirens' 'Just Breathe' and 'The End' - basically any breathy Ed songs that plague every album from Avocado onward.
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

My 'dog food' songs are 'Sirens' 'Just Breathe' and 'The End' - basically any breathy Ed songs that plague every album from Avocado onward.
    Add the last quarter of Gigaton to that list.
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

Add the last quarter of Gigaton to that list.

I don't consider 'Comes Then Goes' a dud. I'm not sure where to place that one to be honest. It's just such a heartbreaking song and I get why Ed would have wanted it on there. The rest of them? No argument from me. Pretty much par for the course. Avocado onward they're usually only food for half an album (minus Backspacer, which I might have listened to once).
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

Heh, I consider 'Slight of Hand' to be one of their best songs, but then again Binaural is my favorite Pearl Jam album. The ever-so-slight edge that it has over Yield is 'Wishlist' has never been a favorite of mine (having to hear it live every time I've seen them and then suffering through a 'jam' on that song has left me with PTSD).

"Slight of Hand"-- is that about a man with very small hands? I can think of someone Pearl Jam might write that song about...
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

A song entirely on ukulele featuring only one member of the band is pretty much the definition of filler.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    edited March 24
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    jesselms said:

Sleight of Hand isn't in the Top 200 and Thin Air is a diamond? Sleight of Hand is much more interesting of a song. Soon Forget was good at the time, but then we got an avalanche of Uke songs over the next 10 years.