Options

Matt Pinfield comment about the new Pearl Jam album

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    pdalowsky said:
    Cant wait to hear it too but not getting carried away with these reactions ....I mean its become the usual cycle: - 

1) Phenomenal record, love it and have it on repeat. The best album since......

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

3) Rate your albums in order ...........bottom 4 ....gigaton, LB, Backspacer and Dark Matter

Hype is very real

I hope its absolutely amazing but I fell for this with gigaton, I did really enjoy it at first, and there's still a handful of tracks that are great but once the dust settled it quickly fell out of rotation. I do wonder however if thats my own fault for playing it to death for the first month 
    It's not your fault.   "Take The Long Way","Never Destination", "Buckle Up", "SBWM", "Comes then Goes".  That is a lot of meh for an album to make up for.  All you have to do is listen to "Animal" or "Do The Evolution" and know that there is no time machine.  
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    on2legs said:
    We fortunate to have Matt as a DJ and program director from the mid 80s until the early 90s on our local alternative rock station FM 106.3 here in NJ.  The station was about 5 minutes from our house.  
    Yes! Ran into him a few times at local bars 
    And before that he was kind of a legend on the Rutgers University music scene, both as DJ for the school's radio station and as DJ in some of the bars in New Brunswick. 

Pretty big praise for the new PJ release coming from a guy who has listened to A LOT of music in his life.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,433
    pdalowsky said:
    Cant wait to hear it too but not getting carried away with these reactions ....I mean its become the usual cycle: - 

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

3) Rate your albums in order ...........bottom 4 ....gigaton, LB, Backspacer and Dark Matter

Hype is very real

I hope its absolutely amazing but I fell for this with gigaton, I did really enjoy it at first, and there's still a handful of tracks that are great but once the dust settled it quickly fell out of rotation. I do wonder however if thats my own fault for playing it to death for the first month 
    I still have Gigaton on heavy rotation 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    edited March 18
    120 minutes! That show helped me keep current with new music from bands I loved when I was stationed at an overseas base. They were not playing the music I was listening to on AFRT. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Same. I think what helps me is having a broad range of music that I love just as much as Pearl Jam. When I return to listening to them I find deeper appreciation for their entire works every time. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Same. I think what helps me is having a broad range of music that I love just as much as Pearl Jam. When I return to listening to them I find deeper appreciation for their entire works every time. 
    Me too. Some want them to sound a certain way or are either looking for a perfect song.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Me too. Some want them to sound a certain way or are either looking for a perfect song.
    And some like every song no matter what... 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

If it's good its good
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

For albums, I am that guy. Except for Foxy Mop. That isn't a song. LOL. If it is a song on an album, then it means something to them as artists, and I want to connect with that. So far so good. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,687
    Gigaton is still on rotation for me too. Great record. Alright has been my fav lately 
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,451
    rey said:
    on2legs said:
    We fortunate to have Matt as a DJ and program director from the mid 80s until the early 90s on our local alternative rock station FM 106.3 here in NJ.  The station was about 5 minutes from our house.  
    Yes! Ran into him a few times at local bars 
    And before that he was kind of a legend on the Rutgers University music scene, both as DJ for the school's radio station and as DJ in some of the bars in New Brunswick. 

Pretty big praise for the new PJ release coming from a guy who has listened to A LOT of music in his life.
    The Melody!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    BF25394 said:
    BSully said:
    BF25394 said:
    BSully said:
    He's always been a huge cheerleader for this type of music... I love it!

There are not enough of us left in this world of pop and country.
    Reports of rock's demise continue to be premature. Both of the genres you mention were actually consumed less than rock in 2023, according to Luminate's year-end report on U.S. music consumption. And you didn't mention hip-hop/R&B, which was not only consumed more than rock, but was also consumed more than pop and country combined:

1) Hip-hop/R&B: 25.3 percent of total volume of consumption
    2) Rock: 19.4 percent
    3) Pop: 12.3 percent
    4) Country: 8.4 percent
    5) Latin: 6.9 percent
    This is really interesting... It must just be where I live because I don't hear hip-hop/R&B all that much.

Thanks for the stats.
    It's what the kids listen to, and has been for a generation now. Hip-hop/R&B's overall share of consumption actually dropped from 2022 to 2023 by a smidge, and country did see about a 21-percent increase so if you feel like you're hearing more country than you used to, there is something to that.

Fun fact: 1.79 percent of all music consumed in the U.S. in 2023 was by Taylor Swift. That may seem like a small number, but it's actually a crazily large share for one artist.
    That is a huge number for 1 person. I would have thought pop was higher on the rankings just because of her actuallly. What's also interesting, is I assume,e most of her stuff is classified as pop, but pop only makes up 12% of music consumed.  She is a massive chunk of that 12% then.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

For albums, I am that guy. Except for Foxy Mop. That isn't a song. LOL. If it is a song on an album, then it means something to them as artists, and I want to connect with that. So far so good. 
    There are some songs that I just can't listen to anymore and a lot of them are on LB. 

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

I still enjoy half of the album but the bad are really bad imo. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited March 18
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    I agree with the pointless songs. The album would flow so much better if they got rid of Pry To, Stupid Mop, Aye....Whatever. Put them on as b-sides and came up with 1 or 2 decent songs in their place. But I don't like the idea of adding I Got Id or Long Road, I think the NY sessions should be kept separate from a PJ album. 

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 585
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BSully said:
    BF25394 said:
    BSully said:

Reports of rock's demise continue to be premature. Both of the genres you mention were actually consumed less than rock in 2023, according to Luminate's year-end report on U.S. music consumption. And you didn't mention hip-hop/R&B, which was not only consumed more than rock, but was also consumed more than pop and country combined:

This is really interesting... It must just be where I live because I don't hear hip-hop/R&B all that much.

Thanks for the stats.
    It's what the kids listen to, and has been for a generation now. Hip-hop/R&B's overall share of consumption actually dropped from 2022 to 2023 by a smidge, and country did see about a 21-percent increase so if you feel like you're hearing more country than you used to, there is something to that.

Fun fact: 1.79 percent of all music consumed in the U.S. in 2023 was by Taylor Swift. That may seem like a small number, but it's actually a crazily large share for one artist.
    That is a huge number for 1 person. I would have thought pop was higher on the rankings just because of her actuallly. What's also interesting, is I assume,e most of her stuff is classified as pop, but pop only makes up 12% of music consumed.  She is a massive chunk of that 12% then.
    Not knowing how they are classifying these groups/genres, i.e. what artists they classify as what genre and/or if some artists are classified into multiple categories, makes these numbers meaningless to me (not the Swift %, almost 2% is crazy!). I’d call a lot of radio friendly, popular music of many genres pop music. Not necessarily because it’s ‘popular’ but because of a shared songwriting and production approach.

Flavored whiskey is not whiskey.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

There are some songs that I just can't listen to anymore and a lot of them are on LB. 

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

Sirens is really bad?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,344
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

I have yet to be disappointed by a Pearl Jam album. It has never taken me much time to connect with the material, and there has never been an album that I became tired of. I'm sure I have listened to every one of their albums at least once a day for the first six months after it was released. When a new album comes out, I usually have a copy in my car for at least that long. I think a lot of people just don't give the newer albums the time they gave the older albums (some of which is because life makes it harder to give that kind of time as people get older and have job and family obligations that they didn't have when they were younger, not to mention that people today spend a lot of time on the internet that they didn't in 1992 or even 1998, pre-social media, pre-podcast, etc.).

That's not to say there aren't songs I don't like. Aside from the tossed-off experimental songs, which mostly have limited appeal (e.g., "Bugs"), the first one that comes to mind is "Habit"-- although it is groundbreaking as it might be the first and only time anyone has ever used "habit" as a verb.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited March 18
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

By that logic would you like every song in the history of music that has been on an album?
  • Options
    edited March 18
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

Sirens is really bad?
    For me yes. For my wife she loves it and probably in her top 20.  Everyone has different tastes. That is why we are getting so many different opinions on the same band we all love on this forum. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BSully said:
    BF25394 said:
    BSully said:

Thanks for the stats.

Not knowing how they are classifying these groups/genres, i.e. what artists they classify as what genre and/or if some artists are classified into multiple categories, makes these numbers meaningless to me (not the Swift %, almost 2% is crazy!). I’d call a lot of radio friendly, popular music of many genres pop music. Not necessarily because it’s ‘popular’ but because of a shared songwriting and production approach.

Flavored whiskey is not whiskey.
    With respect to Taylor, I think that her catalog before 1989 is classified as country, and most of what comes after is classified as pop. However, Billboard treated Folklore (and Evermore, I think) as "alternative," which would be a subcategory of rock. (Note: Billboard's classification is not necessarily the same as Luminate's classification.) I understand that classification from the standpoint that those albums were co-produced by Aaron Dessner and definitely have an "alternative" vibe but, on the other hand, the songs from those albums were not played on alternative stations because they were by Taylor Swift. If those songs had been sent to radio programmers labeled "Mary Smith," some of them would have ended up added to alternative playlists. Anyway, Billboard's genre classifications are pretty subjective. They go by "what do we think this sounds like" rather than "what audience is listening to this." There was a whole book written about this with respect to "Old Town Road." You're right that it's an imprecise science but, on balance across a very large sample size of over a billion units consumed, it's probably a reasonably accurate picture. However, one thing that they cannot measure is how much people listen to physical albums. When you buy a CD or LP, it counts as one sale, but they can obviously never know if you listen to it once or a hundred times. And rock still sells a disproportionate number of physical albums, so the overall consumption of rock is definitely being undercounted. (This is also true, to a lesser extent, with country.) Hip-hop artists, on the other hand, sell disproportionately fewer physical albums; they are heavily streamed, and all of that streaming is tracked.

What I can also tell you based on my understanding of this is that a disproportionate amount of the rock music being consumed is catalog content. There is a lot more Beatles, Queen, Guns N' Roses, etc., being consumed than rock acts from the past 20 years. And the same thing goes for artists who started out in the '80s or '90s and are still around. Old U2 and Pearl Jam gets consumed much more than new U2 and Pearl Jam. In general, as people get older, they lose interest in new music, even new music by artists they love (and they spend less time listening to music). So the pop audience consists disproportionately of people under 25 and the rock audience now consists disproportionately of people over 50.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

By that logic would you like every song in the history of music that has been on an album?
    I approach new stuff I've never heard with that out in front. A record is a collective statement/vision from an artist. I want to give that the best attention I can. Has it resulted in loving everything that's ever been musically? No. But Pearl Jam is one band of just a few that I can say just hits every time. I never get tired of listening to them. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

I agree with the pointless songs. The album would flow so much better if they got rid of Pry To, Stupid Mop, Aye....Whatever. Put them on as b-sides and came up with 1 or 2 decent songs in their place. But I don't like the idea of adding I Got Id or Long Road, I think the NY sessions should be kept separate from a PJ album. 

I think "Pry, To" works really well where it is on Vitalogy. In fact, rather than a snippet of "Interstellar Overdrive" to lead into "Corduroy," I've been saying Pearl Jam should work up a version of "Pry, To" to precede "Corduroy." It wouldn't take a lot of practice.

"Aye Davanita" is interesting, but would be just as interesting if it were half as long.

"Stupid Mop" is fine where it is, and genuinely interesting, but I would have left it unlabeled as a true hidden track.

"Bugs" should never have been on an album. It should have been the third song on a single with a true B-side if it had to see the light of day at all.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

Sirens is really bad?
    Yes. It’s bad but not nearly as bad as Buckle Up. 

Also, I love Vitalogy just the way it is. Foxymop and all. 
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

Sirens is really bad?

If you guys think Sirens is bad. You must have really high standards.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

Sirens is really bad?

Or you know different tastes in music. 

I don't care that you like it. It seems to bother people though when I tell them I do not like it which I find a bit odd. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    Same ⬆️ 

Im glad people like it/love it. Again, it shows how far of a reach PJ has to the fans. Just like Future Days…I don’t like it at all but my wife loves it. I’m glad we like music from the same band 
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 624
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

I think "Pry, To" works really well where it is on Vitalogy. In fact, rather than a snippet of "Interstellar Overdrive" to lead into "Corduroy," I've been saying Pearl Jam should work up a version of "Pry, To" to precede "Corduroy." It wouldn't take a lot of practice.

"Aye Davanita" is interesting, but would be just as interesting if it were half as long.

"Stupid Mop" is fine where it is, and genuinely interesting, but I would have left it unlabeled as a true hidden track.

"Bugs" should never have been on an album. It should have been the third song on a single with a true B-side if it had to see the light of day at all.
    The fact that Bugs should never have been on an album is the whole reason they put it there. The “bad” songs on Vitalogy are actually a great lesson on artistic intent of the album, because that album is absolutely trying to be as challenging as possible.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pdalowsky said:

two weeks later

2) Its ok, but........

6 months later

Hype is very real

Let the Records Play
    My Fathers Son
    Sleeping By Myself
    Sirens 
    Future Days

Sirens is really bad?

Or you know different tastes in music. 

I don't care that you like it. It seems to bother people though when I tell them I do not like it which I find a bit odd. 
    Not liking something and saying really bad are different things.
    I miss igotid88