Options

Matt Pinfield comment about the new Pearl Jam album

12357

Comments

  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 498
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

    I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    great idea.

    where would you put them in the tracklist?

    1. last exit
    2. not for you
    3. nothingman
    4. betterman
    5. immortality
    6. spin the black circle
    7. tremor christ
    8. whipping
    9. corduroy
    10. satan's bed

    add in i got shit/long road/hard to imagine/yellow ledbetter (supposedly recorded during the vs and vitalogy sessions, it'd be the last song obviously)
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,489
    edited March 27
    .
    Post edited by Sea on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore


  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,184
    edited March 27
    Post edited by Sea on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,489
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

    I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    great idea.

    where would you put them in the tracklist?

    1. last exit
    2. not for you
    3. nothingman
    4. betterman
    5. immortality
    6. spin the black circle
    7. tremor christ
    8. whipping
    9. corduroy
    10. satan's bed

    add in i got shit/long road/hard to imagine/yellow ledbetter (supposedly recorded during the vs and vitalogy sessions, it'd be the last song obviously)
    I don’t really count the 3 experimental songs when I considering how great an album Vitalogy is from start to finish.  I don’t mind the songs on there but damn… if they didn’t include them it would have made a great album even better. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore


  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    I love the crazy stuff on Vitalogy. Love it. I would have hated it if they left them off. Do I always listen to bugs or stupid mop? No, but occasionally. That album is so strong for me. And I wish they did more of that experimental stuff just for the fun of it.


    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    Also, reviews are always cool to listen to, and post about. Not a big deal.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I love the crazy stuff on Vitalogy. Love it. I would have hated it if they left them off. Do I always listen to bugs or stupid mop? No, but occasionally. That album is so strong for me. And I wish they did more of that experimental stuff just for the fun of it.


    Agreed
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    edited March 27
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,236
    irony GIF
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,554
    edited March 27
    Post edited by Sea on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    edited March 27
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,236
    edited March 27
    Post edited by Sea on
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    edited March 27
    .
    Post edited by Sea on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,203
    edited March 27
    .
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    edited March 27
    .
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 658
    edited March 27
    .
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    edited March 27
    .
    Post edited by Sea on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,943
    edited March 27
    Discussion re-opened. Name calling and arguing deleted.


    Please remember: We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.


    Please see the Posting Guidelines. Thank you
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,118
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 360
    demetrios said:
    I didn’t get a lot out of this anyway. Stone was asked two questions if I recall correctly and nothing new came to light. 

    I believe Mike did something recently. Maybe we will hear tidbits from that.

    btw, radio silence from Ed (unless you consider the listening parties, which I don’t as they are private events). 

    One thing I was really hoping we would hear more about from all the guys individually was details on the writing and recording process w wottman in LA and @ Shangri La.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 590
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

    I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    great idea.

    where would you put them in the tracklist?

    1. last exit
    2. not for you
    3. nothingman
    4. betterman
    5. immortality
    6. spin the black circle
    7. tremor christ
    8. whipping
    9. corduroy
    10. satan's bed

    add in i got shit/long road/hard to imagine/yellow ledbetter (supposedly recorded during the vs and vitalogy sessions, it'd be the last song obviously)
    Side 1:
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman

    Side 2:
    Corduroy (the fade in to start side 2)
    Whipping
    Satan's Bed (the whip sound effects after "Whipping"... wouldn't that make great sense?)
    Better Man
    Immortality (great closing track)

    I've always felt that this would've made a tremendous album.  Knocks it down to about 40 minutes, a perfect length for a single LP.  10 amazing songs, no filler.  The four experimental tracks on Vitalogy is just wayyyyy to much.  

    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,486
    Was it a clip from the interview he did last year or was it a new interview? 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,554
    wnh1977 said:
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

    I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    great idea.

    where would you put them in the tracklist?

    1. last exit
    2. not for you
    3. nothingman
    4. betterman
    5. immortality
    6. spin the black circle
    7. tremor christ
    8. whipping
    9. corduroy
    10. satan's bed

    add in i got shit/long road/hard to imagine/yellow ledbetter (supposedly recorded during the vs and vitalogy sessions, it'd be the last song obviously)
    Side 1:
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman

    Side 2:
    Corduroy (the fade in to start side 2)
    Whipping
    Satan's Bed (the whip sound effects after "Whipping"... wouldn't that make great sense?)
    Better Man
    Immortality (great closing track)

    I've always felt that this would've made a tremendous album.  Knocks it down to about 40 minutes, a perfect length for a single LP.  10 amazing songs, no filler.  The four experimental tracks on Vitalogy is just wayyyyy to much.  

    I know that Vitalogy was released two weeks early on vinyl-- I bought it-- but let's not retcon by pretending that it was sequenced for vinyl. It was sequenced as a CD intended to play straight through. They knew it was going to sell overwhelmingly in the CD format and be listened to on CD.

    That aside, your sequence makes sense except that I think "Pry, To" really belongs where it is on the album. It only adds 45 seconds to the running time. It hammers home the album's theme and bridges nicely to "Corduroy." I still maintain that they should work this up for the live show-- it wouldn't take much practice-- and play it leading into "Corduroy" instead of, say, "Interstellar Overdrive." Of course, Eddie seems to have come to grips with his fame and might not feel like the song is still relevant to him today.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 590
    edited March 28
    BF25394 said:
    wnh1977 said:
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

    I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    great idea.

    where would you put them in the tracklist?

    1. last exit
    2. not for you
    3. nothingman
    4. betterman
    5. immortality
    6. spin the black circle
    7. tremor christ
    8. whipping
    9. corduroy
    10. satan's bed

    add in i got shit/long road/hard to imagine/yellow ledbetter (supposedly recorded during the vs and vitalogy sessions, it'd be the last song obviously)
    Side 1:
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman

    Side 2:
    Corduroy (the fade in to start side 2)
    Whipping
    Satan's Bed (the whip sound effects after "Whipping"... wouldn't that make great sense?)
    Better Man
    Immortality (great closing track)

    I've always felt that this would've made a tremendous album.  Knocks it down to about 40 minutes, a perfect length for a single LP.  10 amazing songs, no filler.  The four experimental tracks on Vitalogy is just wayyyyy to much.  

    I know that Vitalogy was released two weeks early on vinyl-- I bought it-- but let's not retcon by pretending that it was sequenced for vinyl. It was sequenced as a CD intended to play straight through. They knew it was going to sell overwhelmingly in the CD format and be listened to on CD.

    That aside, your sequence makes sense except that I think "Pry, To" really belongs where it is on the album. It only adds 45 seconds to the running time. It hammers home the album's theme and bridges nicely to "Corduroy." I still maintain that they should work this up for the live show-- it wouldn't take much practice-- and play it leading into "Corduroy" instead of, say, "Interstellar Overdrive." Of course, Eddie seems to have come to grips with his fame and might not feel like the song is still relevant to him today.
    I understand that Vitalogy, and any album after the CD came into being, was not created with the confines of a tracklisting built for a 2-sided LP... however, I think it still think it stands up as a near perfect canvas for albums.  There are so many bloated, way-too-long, 17-track CDs from the 90's (I'm 47, so this is the era I'm most familiar with).  I'm old-fashioned.  I like a tracklisting that makes sense, an album viewed as a piece of work... and not just a hodge-podge bloat of material you can fit on a disc.  There are so many albums from that era that would have greatly benefitted from being trimmed down, in my opinion.

    I think of Superunknown (15 tracks, 70 minutes) and Down on the Upside (16 tracks, 66 minutes).  Christ, Mellon Collie... is over 120-minutes long.  That's a triple-album (double-CD)!  Love those albums, but I feel like they would've been made stronger by keeping at least a couple tracks off.  I'm just old-fashioned.  An album with the old-time constraints is what I love.  I remember in Moline (No Code show) when Eddie, before going into "Habit", said something like... "let's flip it over and play side 2".

    To me, if you're going to put that much material on an album, it better be something damn special like The Wall or the "White Album" (which kind of contradicts my earlier comments because it is a hodge-podge 30 songs that are all fucking over the place).   
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 658
    Down on the Upside could stand to be 12.
    Personally I’d take Mellon Collie down to about 10.

    but the Superunknown slander is hurtful & also insane. 😉
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,993
    A couple of the Chilli Peppers albums are quite long, I quite like them but a trimmed down 12-14 song version would make it a higher quality piece of work. Some of the leftover tracks would make some good b-sides for sure. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,554
    wnh1977 said:
    BF25394 said:
    wnh1977 said:
    I hear you on Foxymop.  

    I wish Vitalogy took off the pointless songs, waited six months and added 'I Got Shit' and 'Long Road' on to the album.  That is how I sequence it at least. 
    great idea.

    where would you put them in the tracklist?

    1. last exit
    2. not for you
    3. nothingman
    4. betterman
    5. immortality
    6. spin the black circle
    7. tremor christ
    8. whipping
    9. corduroy
    10. satan's bed

    add in i got shit/long road/hard to imagine/yellow ledbetter (supposedly recorded during the vs and vitalogy sessions, it'd be the last song obviously)
    Side 1:
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman

    Side 2:
    Corduroy (the fade in to start side 2)
    Whipping
    Satan's Bed (the whip sound effects after "Whipping"... wouldn't that make great sense?)
    Better Man
    Immortality (great closing track)

    I've always felt that this would've made a tremendous album.  Knocks it down to about 40 minutes, a perfect length for a single LP.  10 amazing songs, no filler.  The four experimental tracks on Vitalogy is just wayyyyy to much.  

    I know that Vitalogy was released two weeks early on vinyl-- I bought it-- but let's not retcon by pretending that it was sequenced for vinyl. It was sequenced as a CD intended to play straight through. They knew it was going to sell overwhelmingly in the CD format and be listened to on CD.

    That aside, your sequence makes sense except that I think "Pry, To" really belongs where it is on the album. It only adds 45 seconds to the running time. It hammers home the album's theme and bridges nicely to "Corduroy." I still maintain that they should work this up for the live show-- it wouldn't take much practice-- and play it leading into "Corduroy" instead of, say, "Interstellar Overdrive." Of course, Eddie seems to have come to grips with his fame and might not feel like the song is still relevant to him today.
    I understand that Vitalogy, and any album after the CD came into being, was not created with the confines of a tracklisting built for a 2-sided LP... however, I think it still think it stands up as a near perfect canvas for albums.  There are so many bloated, way-too-long, 17-track CDs from the 90's (I'm 47, so this is the era I'm most familiar with).  I'm old-fashioned.  I like a tracklisting that makes sense, an album viewed as a piece of work... and not just a hodge-podge bloat of material you can fit on a disc.  There are so many albums from that era that would have greatly benefitted from being trimmed down, in my opinion.

    I think of Superunknown (15 tracks, 70 minutes) and Down on the Upside (16 tracks, 66 minutes).  Christ, Mellon Collie... is over 120-minutes long.  That's a triple-album (double-CD)!  Love those albums, but I feel like they would've been made stronger by keeping at least a couple tracks off.  I'm just old-fashioned.  An album with the old-time constraints is what I love.  I remember in Moline (No Code show) when Eddie, before going into "Habit", said something like... "let's flip it over and play side 2".

    To me, if you're going to put that much material on an album, it better be something damn special like The Wall or the "White Album" (which kind of contradicts my earlier comments because it is a hodge-podge 30 songs that are all fucking over the place).   
    I don't disagree with your general idea, but I don't think Vitalogy is an example of bloat. Save for "Stupid Mop," which is kind of like an unhidden hidden track, it's 47:30. Even with it, it's only 55:00. Cut the length of "Aye Davanita" and drop "Bugs" and you're under 45 minutes without losing much.

    When I think of bloat, the first things that come to mind are Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II. There is some really self-indulgent stuff on there. "Get in the Ring" should never have seen the light of day, for example. We did not need an alternate version of "Don't Cry"; save it for the single. The covers ("Live and Let Die" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door") are very popular but, again, should have been B-sides.

    As for Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, it is probably one of my three favorite albums of all time and I think each disc serves its purpose within the overall arc. I'd leave it just the way it is.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,878
    A couple of the Chilli Peppers albums are quite long, I quite like them but a trimmed down 12-14 song version would make it a higher quality piece of work. Some of the leftover tracks would make some good b-sides for sure. 
    I used to feel like that but the more I talked to other fans about these last two RhCp albums, the more I realized that everyone had different favorites. So I love that they release everything they’re passionate about. In this day and age we can always cut it down to our version with playlists. 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 836
    Agree on Mellon Collie. The Aeroplane Flies High reinforced how good Billy's songwriting was at that time-I could chop and change my favourite tracks from that into Mellon Collie and would have an over 30 song set of absolute bangers. He got the flow right though.

    She Likes Surprises I like but because it's a b-side tacked onto the end of Superunknown annoys me. Album is flawless otherwise.
    Stars are suns to other people.

    Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,554
    nicknyr15 said:
    A couple of the Chilli Peppers albums are quite long, I quite like them but a trimmed down 12-14 song version would make it a higher quality piece of work. Some of the leftover tracks would make some good b-sides for sure. 
    I used to feel like that but the more I talked to other fans about these last two RhCp albums, the more I realized that everyone had different favorites. So I love that they release everything they’re passionate about. In this day and age we can always cut it down to our version with playlists. 
    As I've talked about elsewhere on the board, I've been actively listening to my entire music collection in order since the beginning of 2022, and I recently went through the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It actually struck me that, since Blood Sugar Sex Magik, they have made a lot of really long albums. I had never noticed it until I listened to them all one after the other.

    For those keeping score at home, I finished R.E.M. yesterday and today I started with the oeuvre of Remy Zero, which is smaller than I wish it were.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Sign In or Register to comment.