Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to guess Europeans just mostly make far less money then USA?

If you stop looking at the premium pricing - I feel this tour was really fair for modern day standards and incomes here in the USA. 

Noblesville is that way because it was a postponed show and has very limited seating left to start with. Most of the venue was already sold in 2023 and held on to.
    $200 is normal for a US show? Wow. 
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    Jason727 said:
    I was shut out of the tenclub sale and didn't register for today's sale, so I just went to ticketmaster to see if there's any shows where they're just selling tickets (no registered presales, etc.). All I could find are the PJ Premium tickets for the 8/26 show in Noblesville, IN. Check out the prices, and where you'll be sitting if you were crazy enough to buy them...

I saw these too. I wonder if this was due in part to this show being sold prior to the Dark Matter tour being announced and therefore had a much higher demand?
    Nah it's just PJ Premium. These are around the same prices as they were listed at most of last year. Some must be selling or else they would have dropped the price. It's just a lot of demand to get under the shed and not that much capacity. 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,961
    edited February 23
    im going to london, berlin x2 and barcelona x2 and i´ll be the first one to say this.

The european tickets are VERY expensive indeed. Maybe in the US these prices are normal but not in europe and hate to say this but u are seeing it today in the sales , specifically in london and berlin. 
  • Options
    Jason727Jason727 Massachusetts Posts: 14
    Supply and demand at the end of the day...If they really wanted to and didn't care instead of selling 10C tickets for $175 they could just put everything on TM and have it be a free for all and get $300+ per ticket (or much, much more) and they'll still sell out the shows.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,225
    edited February 23

If you stop looking at the premium pricing - I feel this tour was really fair for modern day standards and incomes here in the USA. 

Noblesville is that way because it was a postponed show and has very limited seating left to start with. Most of the venue was already sold in 2023 and held on to.
    For any good band in a decent seat yeah.

If you are cool with sitting on the roof then probably get in for $75 most bands.
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178

Yes. Yes it is.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited February 23

Yes. Yes it is.
    Depends on the band. I got a lawn ticket to Queens of the Stone Age last year for $50 including fees. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Yes. Yes it is.
    Depends on the band. I got a lawn ticket to Queens of the Stone Age last year for $50 including fees. 
    Lawn can always be had significantly cheaper than a seat from my experience. Apples to oranges.
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    I think what’s being missed in all of this discourse is that the costs to put a concert on our massive.  Back in 1995, there were no metal detectors, security was a quarter of what it is today, the building rents were likely 30% of what it costs now to rent out an arena.  The insurance costs for venues, logistics companies, etc have all skyrocketed.  I’m sure someone from the industry could tell you the costs to book Climate Pledge for 2 shows, and I guarantee you, $70 a ticket won’t cover those costs.

You also have to factor in the new world we live in.  For 2 years, the world was shut down, and all people bought was stuff for their house.  We’re still emerging back to an “experiences” culture.  People want to be entertained and travel again, and the costs associated with doing that are high. Airfare is ridiculous right now.  Hotels are more expensive than ever.  So these costs also wind up on the tour expense ledger.

As someone who dropped $3k to fly my family to Indy, to have the show canceled at 2:00pm, I understand how everyone feels when it comes to costs and expenses.  But when you step back and realize that in 2024, crap is expensive..and there isn’t anything you can do about it.  Doesn’t matter what continent you live on, inflation is global and the expense to hold concerts is massive.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    edited February 23
    I paid $70 to sit 15 rows from the stage to see Bush, Candlebox and Jerry Cantrell this summer.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    edited February 23

Just got a FB Memory post showing my ticket stub from Springsteen 

$150 for GA floor.... 8 years ago....before fees....

$200 USD for a ticket in 2024 is absolutely consistent with the current market
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Jason727Jason727 Massachusetts Posts: 14

Also depends a lot on the venue.. for MSG you will pay a hefty premium...tickets for another band at Fenway/Boston were $500 close field seats somewhat close to stage...almost the same distance for Hartford, CT amphitheater was $150 for the same band one night later.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I think many are missing the real reason that ticket prices have gone up. Yes, costs have increased significantly since COVID, but I do not believe that is the main driver of this current pricing model. It is Stubhub and other resellers, and technology/algorithms that has allowed TM to micro manage the sale price of every seat in a given venue. If someone is willing to pay $500 on Stubhub why shouldn't the band see some of that revenue? Stubhub and others make millions off the band and the band realizes zero revenue from those sales. Is that right or fair? Should a band lose millions in the interest of their fans? Truthfully, PJ could probably charge more for certain venues and people would pay. Welcome to the concert industry in 2024.

TM comes along and proposes that PJ should raise their prices for the 10C sale to realize some of that secondary market revenue and that they could make more money selling the best seats via "premium" or dynamic pricing. TM may even note that there are members of the 10C selling their tickets for profit. TM and PJ will split the revenue from those sales. It is hard for an artist to say no to that proposal.

Make no mistake, TM tries to maximize the price paid for EVERY individual seat, especially the best seats in the house. Suckers will bite at the $3500 MSG seat this month and TM and the band will get a piece of that revenue. This is the model.  If demand is not strong, as we are seeing in Europe, TM will adjust the pricing accordingly. That is why everyone should be patient and wait, the market will dictate the appropriate pricing for a given concert. Good luck to all in the verified sale.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

Yes. Yes it is.
    Lawn can always be had significantly cheaper than a seat from my experience. Apples to oranges.
    I'm trying to remember what PJ lawn tickets to Camden in 2022 cost. My email says I paid $157. But I can't remember if that was just for me or if I got the tickets for both me and my friend. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I'm grateful for current non premium prices.It could be a lot worse.  
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    I think many are missing the real reason that ticket prices have gone up. Yes, costs have increased significantly since COVID, but I do not believe that is the main driver of this current pricing model. It is Stubhub and other resellers, and technology/algorithms that has allowed TM to micro manage the sale price of every seat in a given venue. If someone is willing to pay $500 on Stubhub why shouldn't the band see some of that revenue? Stubhub and others make millions off the band and the band realizes zero revenue from those sales. Is that right or fair? Should a band lose millions in the interest of their fans? Truthfully, PJ could probably charge more for certain venues and people would pay. Welcome to the concert industry in 2024.

TM comes along and proposes that PJ should raise their prices for the 10C sale to realize some of that secondary market revenue and that they could make more money selling the best seats via "premium" or dynamic pricing. TM may even note that there are members of the 10C selling their tickets for profit. TM and PJ will split the revenue from those sales. It is hard for an artist to say no to that proposal.

Make no mistake, TM tries to maximize the price paid for EVERY individual seat, especially the best seats in the house. Suckers will bite at the $3500 MSG seat this month and TM and the band will get a piece of that revenue. This is the model.  If demand is not strong, as we are seeing in Europe, TM will adjust the pricing accordingly. That is why everyone should be patient and wait, the market will dictate the appropriate pricing for a given concert. Good luck to all in the verified sale.
    It’s more than one factor. For example, minimum wage in NY is $15 per hour. Those labor costs come from some place and are passed down to the consumer. Basic economics. Inflation is at a 40 year high. Post covid….yada, yada, yada.
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 346
    These MSG Premium went from $575 to over $900 in a matter of seconds.
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,542
    edited February 23
    If they played more than 38 shows as a world tour, I think prices would have been $20-30 less. Prices include fees too
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

It’s more than one factor. For example, minimum wage in NY is $15 per hour. Those labor costs come from some place and are passed down to the consumer. Basic economics. Inflation is at a 40 year high. Post covid….yada, yada, yada.

You are right. But increased costs are not the main reason ticket prices have risen 50% in certain markets. It is TM seeking more profits and making an offer the band cannot refuse.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

You are right. But increased costs are not the main reason ticket prices have risen 50% in certain markets. It is TM seeking more profits and making an offer the band cannot refuse.
    I don’t disagree. It’s greed more than anything, but there are several factors. It’s out of control and until consumers refuse to pay, it won’t change. 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I don’t disagree. It’s greed more than anything, but there are several factors. It’s out of control and until consumers refuse to pay, it won’t change. 

It is interesting, the business man in me sees this as grabbing market share rather than a monopolistic fleecing of the consumer (although that is part of it). The fan in me says it sucks that people with wealth are driving prices out of true fans' price range because it is cool to see Pearl Jam. The concert business and ticketing has always been a source of bewilderment for me, going way back to the early 80s when TM starting withholding tickets from public sales.
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,239
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    As a disabled person I've had to pay for 2 tickets as Ticketmaster doesn't seem to recognise the disabled button.. Incase you didn't know if I are disabled...walking.....you can email the ticket companies and they should automatically let me buy 2 tickets and one free for my career..as it is I'm up a bit but got tickets so hey ho . lolol
    Tried to get Barcelona tickets but that was Fubar 
    A free ticket for your career?
    They obviously meant ‘carer’.   Stop being weird.  
    I'm not being weird. I didn't know they meant carer. It took me  a couple seconds to figure out what you meant, because I've never heard it called carer before, only caregiver.
    And that still doesn't make sense, why would they give a free ticket to a caregiver?
    Caregivers don't get a free ticket when you book a flight. Why would they get a free ticket to a concert?
    Disability access laws in the UK require venues to be accessible to disabled people beyond just proving a wheelchair ramp and space, as seems to be the norm in the US. That means if someone is blind, for example, and needs a personal assistant to guide them, they have to be able to visit an event at the same cost to anyone else. They should not be penalised by having to pay twice the amount, due to the necessity of a PA, so their tickets are provided complimentary. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    I've been a 10C member off and on for ten years now (I am aware that this is not the longest membership, but this isn't a measuring contest) and I am absolutely appalled by the prices of tickets for this tour.  The one thing that always stood PJ apart from all other bands was its connection to the fans, the determination to make it as great an experience as could be and the refusal to let its fans be ripped off and exploited in the name of capitalism (See PJ vs Ticketmaster).

The best example of this has always been the Ten Club, where we get rewarded for our loyalty by being allowed to buy tickets at a reasonable price, right down the front where the proper fans are, without needing to pay an absolute fortune for the privilege. These tickets for the Dark Matters tour UK dates are £160. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS. The cheapest tickets in the house are £120.

Pearl Jam, you have completely lost your way.  You are not the band of the people that you once were, you will have lost the respect of thousands of fans with this blatant profiteering and the fact that you are doing this alongside Ticketmaster, of all companies, is frankly insulting.

I for one, will not be renewing my membership next time around and will be interested to see how many others will also leave.

I'm just disappointed.

Eddie in SPIN Magazine, January 1995....

If you have a $55 Rolling Stones ticket and there’s a $3 to $6 service charge, okay. But ours was an $18.50 ticket, and now all of a sudden it’s a $24.00 ticket. That’s not right. I just want people to be able to see our shows. It’s extremely important that it’s available to everyone, that if they’d like to attend they’re able to. Also, when you start having $50 tickets, all of a sudden you’re changing your audience. And that’s a frightening thought, playing only to people that can afford a $50 ticket.

With inflation, a $50 ticket in 1995 is now $102 in 2024. Tickets to this tour are double that. Not such a "freighting thought" anymore. 
    I love this reply.  This is exactly the point that I was trying to make.
    The most common answers that I'm getting from people who disagree with me are "Don't buy a ticket then" or "Go watch another band". But that's not the point really, is it? The point is that this is Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam have changed.
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 346
    I've been a 10C member off and on for ten years now (I am aware that this is not the longest membership, but this isn't a measuring contest) and I am absolutely appalled by the prices of tickets for this tour.  The one thing that always stood PJ apart from all other bands was its connection to the fans, the determination to make it as great an experience as could be and the refusal to let its fans be ripped off and exploited in the name of capitalism (See PJ vs Ticketmaster).

The best example of this has always been the Ten Club, where we get rewarded for our loyalty by being allowed to buy tickets at a reasonable price, right down the front where the proper fans are, without needing to pay an absolute fortune for the privilege. These tickets for the Dark Matters tour UK dates are £160. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS. The cheapest tickets in the house are £120.

Pearl Jam, you have completely lost your way.  You are not the band of the people that you once were, you will have lost the respect of thousands of fans with this blatant profiteering and the fact that you are doing this alongside Ticketmaster, of all companies, is frankly insulting.

I for one, will not be renewing my membership next time around and will be interested to see how many others will also leave.

I'm just disappointed.

If you have a $55 Rolling Stones ticket and there’s a $3 to $6 service charge, okay. But ours was an $18.50 ticket, and now all of a sudden it’s a $24.00 ticket. That’s not right. I just want people to be able to see our shows. It’s extremely important that it’s available to everyone, that if they’d like to attend they’re able to. Also, when you start having $50 tickets, all of a sudden you’re changing your audience. And that’s a frightening thought, playing only to people that can afford a $50 ticket.

With inflation, a $50 ticket in 1995 is now $102 in 2024. Tickets to this tour are double that. Not such a "freighting thought" anymore. 
    The most common answers that I'm getting from people who disagree with me are "Don't buy a ticket then" or "Go watch another band". But that's not the point really, is it? The point is that this is Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam have changed.

We like to use the term "evolved" around here. Changed has negative connotations.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,196
    Get_Right said:

Wait, you're saying that prices are determined by market forces like supply and demand? 
  • Options

I'm just disappointed.

We like to use the term "evolved" around here. Changed has negative connotations.
    Then changed was the correct word to use.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Get_Right said:

Wait, you're saying that prices are determined by market forces like supply and demand? 

Hahaha. Yep.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,964
    mcgruff10 said:
    They definitely out punted their coverage this tour as evident by the amount of tickets left for the european shows.  Literally thousands of unsold tickets.  
    Yes, big time. They've not taken into account that in Europe we are paid less and therefore there's less disposable income to spend on tickets. This isn't just for concerts, we pay less for sports tickets and even the cinema, compared to the US. 

We started to see the cracks last tour where Budapest didn't sell out because prices were almost on par with Western Europe. 

10c prices were absolutely pushing it but when you see the premium prices today and there's no wonder so many seats are available. I think we'll see a sharp drop in the coming months but this has left a bad taste in the mouth. I've always appreciated what PJ stood for as well as their music but we've moved into a new era. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options

Yes. Yes it is.
    I'm trying to remember what PJ lawn tickets to Camden in 2022 cost. My email says I paid $157. But I can't remember if that was just for me or if I got the tickets for both me and my friend. 
    That was for a pair. Last year lawn for Indy were $80 apiece 
  • Options
    If they played more than 38 shows as a world tour, I think prices would have been $20-30 less. Prices include fees too
    Increase the supply and demand (hence price) goes down. Brilliant