"Dark Matter" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• HenriettaLowellHenriettaLowell Cologne, Germany Posts: 125
    T-Bone 82 said:
    I know a lot of people want Waiting for Stevie as next single, but I think Won't Tell would have more mass appeal. Great hook, soaring chorus, U2 / Cure outro. 
    I agree! Although, after Wreckage I could also see them going with an uptempo one again, instead of mid-tempo like Won‘t Tell or Waiting For Stevie. Which one would that be though? React, Respond or Scared Of Fear?
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,331
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 3, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for a second week at number one on the Canada Rock chart and at number two at U.S. Triple-A radio.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" moves from No. 34 to No. 22 in its third week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It also debuts at No. 33 on the Alternative Airplay chart.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    BF25394 said:
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 3, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for a second week at number one on the Canada Rock chart and at number two at U.S. Triple-A radio.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" moves from No. 34 to No. 22 in its third week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It also debuts at No. 33 on the Alternative Airplay chart.
    Doing well on radio. Wish it translated to streams. Wreckage getting about 41,000
    I miss igotid88
    edited August 2
    https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/pearl-jam-wreckage-number-one-adult-alternative-airplay-chart-1235745408/amp/

Pearl Jam notches its first No. 1 on Billboard’s Adult Alternative Airplay chart in over 10 years as “Wreckage” rises to the top of the Aug. 10-dated survey.

“Wreckage,” Pearl Jam’s third leader on the list, follows “Sirens,” which ruled for three weeks in November-December 2013. The band first led with “Just Breathe” for 13 weeks in 2010.

Dark Matter debuted at No. 1 on the Top Rock & Alternative Albums chart dated May 4 and has earned 107,000 equivalent album units to date.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    I feel validated by this since I called it a long time ago, and it was looking like it was going to peter out at No. 2.

It would be interesting to go back and read the thread from when "Wreckage" first dropped. There were so many negative reactions-- some people wrote the song off in 12 hours-- and its chart performance has proven that those reactions were outliers. Hitting number one at both  Mainstream Rock and Triple-A is tough to pull off. As the article points out, it hadn't been done in five years.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    igotid88 said:
    https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/pearl-jam-wreckage-number-one-adult-alternative-airplay-chart-1235745408/amp/

Pearl Jam notches its first No. 1 on Billboard’s Adult Alternative Airplay chart in over 10 years as “Wreckage” rises to the top of the Aug. 10-dated survey.

“Wreckage,” Pearl Jam’s third leader on the list, follows “Sirens,” which ruled for three weeks in November-December 2013. The band first led with “Just Breathe” for 13 weeks in 2010.

Dark Matter debuted at No. 1 on the Top Rock & Alternative Albums chart dated May 4 and has earned 107,000 equivalent album units to date.

I'm shocked only that much. 
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 10, 2024.

As first reported by igotid88, "Wreckage" ascends to No. 1 at U.S. Triple-A radio. It was a long climb from its debut at No. 40 to reaching the summit in its fifteenth week on the chart. "Wreckage" also holds for a third week at number one on the Canada Rock chart. It has begun to tumble down the rock and alternative charts in the U.S.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" moves from No. 22 to No. 18 in its fourth week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It also moves up from No. 33 to No. 29 in its second week on the Alternative Airplay chart.
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 410
    I think Save it for Later has been taking plays away from Wreckage on alt and rock stations. I'm sure an unintended consequence, as I doubt EV and co. expected that song to take off. But it's cool, nonetheless.

I saw today that EV did a Petty cover for a new show coming out soon:  https://www.spin.com/2024/08/eddie-vedder-reveals-cover-of-tom-pettys-room-at-the-top/

I think that might get some play too. Great song and the TV feature will probably get it some attention.

I am curious what that means for next Dark Matter single, if there will be one. My preferences, in order, would be:

1. Won't Tell
    2. Waiting for Stevie
    3. Scared of Fear

That soaring chorus of Won't Tell and the Cure / U2 flavored outro on Won't Tell is so good and I think is very listener-friendly. The other two rock and I love them, generally. 
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Yeah I would opt for Stevie next. Wonder if they would try to time the next single with the next leg of the tour? 

Do you guys think they'll do an SNL appearance too? As usual, I feel as if they have not done enough to promote a new album....lol
    www.myspace.com
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 410
    Yeah I would opt for Stevie next. Wonder if they would try to time the next single with the next leg of the tour? 

Do you guys think they'll do an SNL appearance too? As usual, I feel as if they have not done enough to promote a new album....lol
    SNL appearance would be awesome. I think the only date they could reasonably do is Sat 9/14 (assuming there is an SNL episode that weekend) between the Baltimore and Boston shows. Unless they stick around on the east coast after Boston and do Sat 9/21 before heading back out west for Dana Point.

With EV's vocal issues the last few years, might be a difficult thing to schedule mid-tour. Would be great to see, though. 
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
    T-Bone 82 said:
    I think Save it for Later has been taking plays away from Wreckage on alt and rock stations. 
    This makes sense.
    T-Bone 82 said:

SNL appearance would be awesome. I think the only date they could reasonably do is Sat 9/14 (assuming there is an SNL episode that weekend) between the Baltimore and Boston shows. Unless they stick around on the east coast after Boston and do Sat 9/21 before heading back out west for Dana Point.

With EV's vocal issues the last few years, might be a difficult thing to schedule mid-tour. Would be great to see, though. 
    SNL premier is usually late in September if I'm not mistaken
    www.myspace.com
    T-Bone 82 said:

They usually do rehearsal the Thursday of that week and do the promos. They'll be in Baltimore that day
    I miss igotid88
    The 50th season of Saturday Night Live premieres on September 28.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    If Waiting for Stevie is the next single the charts will explode………and that is why WFS will never be released as a single. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 890
    D-Rod said:
    If Waiting for Stevie is the next single the charts will explode………and that is why WFS will never be released as a single. 
    It really needs to be, especially after Wreckage…for the real reason to remind the general population that Pearl Jam can still rock the F out!
    vedpunk said:
    D-Rod said:
    It really needs to be, especially after Wreckage…for the real reason to remind the general population that Pearl Jam can still rock the F out!
    "Dark Matter" rocks pretty hard, and it hit number one on multiple rock charts a few months ago, so I think people are aware of Pearl Jam's rock abilities.
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    D-Rod said:
    "Dark Matter" rocks pretty hard, and it hit number one on multiple rock charts a few months ago, so I think people are aware of Pearl Jam's rock abilities.
    The people need more!
    vedpunk said:
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    D-Rod said:
    The people need more!

Yes please!
    WFS next single 
    You know what I think can be a sleeper hit?React, Respond. 
    I miss igotid88
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 17, 2024.

"Wreckage" drops to No. 3 at U.S. Triple-A radio after one week on top. "Wreckage" holds for a fourth week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart, one week shy of the chart-topping run enjoyed by "Dark Matter" earlier this year.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" drops from last week's peak of No. 18 to No. 25 in its fifth week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It also holds steady at No. 29 in its third week on the Alternative Airplay chart.
    vedpunk said:
    WFS next single 
    Yes please! This needs air play. 
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 24, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for a fifth week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart, matching the run enjoyed by "Dark Matter" earlier this year. "Dark Matter" finally falls off that chart after 26 weeks. It no longer appears on any Billboard chart.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" holds at No. 25 in its sixth week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It previously peaked at No. 18. It also holds at No. 29 for a third straight week in its fourth overall week on the Alternative Airplay chart.
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 31, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for a sixth week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart, surpassing the five-week run at the top by "Dark Matter" earlier this year.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" plunges from No. 25 to No. 38 in its seventh week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It previously peaked at No. 18. It also drops from its peak of No. 29 to No. 32 in its fifth week on the Alternative Airplay chart.
    BF25394 said:
    Original post updated for charts for week ending August 31, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for a sixth week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart, surpassing the five-week run at the top by "Dark Matter" earlier this year.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" plunges from No. 25 to No. 38 in its seventh week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It previously peaked at No. 18. It also drops from its peak of No. 29 to No. 32 in its fifth week on the Alternative Airplay chart.

Excellent!!
    Original post updated for charts for week ending September 7, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for a seventh week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" slips from No. 38 to No. 39 in its eighth week on the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart. It previously peaked at No. 18. It also drops from its No. 32 to No. 34 in its sixth week on the Alternative Airplay chart.
    BF25394 said:

"Wreckage" holds for a seventh week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart.

B)
    Did Ed say Won't Tell is going to be the next single at MSG tonight?

Also....how in the fuck are they are not doing Colbert or Fallon this week? 
    www.myspace.com
    Linkin Park new single has 4 million views in 18 hours. Dark Matter has 2.1 million in 6 months. 
    I miss igotid88