Options

"Dark Matter" and its tracks on the charts

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,759
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:

I wouldn't have guessed that "Even Flow" would be atop this list, let alone by such a wide margin. The fact that people are apparently as eager to listen to "Last Kiss" today as they are to "Dark Matter" or "Wreckage" is depressing.
    Sad you say that. The majority of listeners are not fanatics like you or me. They love Even Flow. I love Even Flow. They love Last Kiss. I love Last Kiss. IMO, Wreckage should have been an EV solo song and doesn’t fit the album at all. I’m more shocked that the song that made them famous to the TV generation, Jeremy, is 17th. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    edited June 7
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    I don't know...I would argue that Got to Give is stronger than Wreckage
    LOL, no.  Got To Give is the LEAST viewed song from the album on YouTube and all other formats.  
    LOL...did I say it had more views? 
    Sorry, didn’t think I had to spell it out for ya.  Love it or hate it but YouTube views are a good indicator of how popular a song is or will be.  You may like Got To Give but it wouldn’t stand a chance at radio for the general population or be a good song to shift units.   Waiting For Stevie on the other hand….there’s a reason casual fans like Howard Stern and all those music critics liked it…..melody, hooks, memorable moments and throwback to 90’s PJ.  
    I think a lot of fanatics think Inside Job is one of their best songs right? How does that rank to  “Youtube” views? The band doesn’t care about any of it. They released Life Wasted and WWS as their singles not giving a shit about radio or future YouTube views. They have done this with every album since Vitalogy. Think about the singles that come out and then think about the best songs, the songs the band plays over and over at shows versus that? I’m talking only 1996 and beyond. The band purposely releases decent songs, but most aren’t even top 5 on the album to “Fanatics.” Gigaton did it with DotC. Dark Matter and the released singles are another great example. The band doesn’t care to be famous because they are famous. They don’t need any more anything. They have a group of people that will sell out 50% of any arena and the locals will easily sell out the other 50% based on 1 album 35 years ago. It’s amazing. Good on them
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,450
    edited June 7
    WWS and Life Wasted and DotC were sent to radio and music videos were made with the intent for them to be seen and heard.

The WWS release was also HYPE after waiting for a long time for a new album/release. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 857
    edited June 7
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    LOL, no.  Got To Give is the LEAST viewed song from the album on YouTube and all other formats.  
    Sorry, didn’t think I had to spell it out for ya.  Love it or hate it but YouTube views are a good indicator of how popular a song is or will be.  You may like Got To Give but it wouldn’t stand a chance at radio for the general population or be a good song to shift units.   Waiting For Stevie on the other hand….there’s a reason casual fans like Howard Stern and all those music critics liked it…..melody, hooks, memorable moments and throwback to 90’s PJ.  
    I think a lot of fanatics think Inside Job is one of their best songs right? How does that rank to  “Youtube” views? The band doesn’t care about any of it. They released Life Wasted and WWS as their singles not giving a shit about radio or future YouTube views. They have done this with every album since Vitalogy. Think about the singles that come out and then think about the best songs, the songs the band plays over and over at shows versus that? I’m talking only 1996 and beyond. The band purposely releases decent songs, but most aren’t even top 5 on the album to “Fanatics.” Gigaton did it with DotC. Dark Matter and the released singles are another great example. The band doesn’t care to be famous because they are famous. They don’t need any more anything. They have a group of people that will sell out 50% of any arena and the locals will easily sell out the other 50% based on 1 album 35 years ago. It’s amazing. Good on them
    They 💯 definitely care about this album, (Dark Matter) that they are so proud of, reaching the most people as possible.   I agree they chose the best two first singles.  Waiting For Stevie or Won’t Tell would definitely bring in the casual fans that still haven't given the new album a spin and possibly generate new fans. 
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    I'm surprised we have not seen an official video of Dark Matter or Wreckage.  Aside from the visualizers I mean.  I think that would have helped a bit.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:

I wouldn't have guessed that "Even Flow" would be atop this list, let alone by such a wide margin. The fact that people are apparently as eager to listen to "Last Kiss" today as they are to "Dark Matter" or "Wreckage" is depressing.
    Sad you say that. The majority of listeners are not fanatics like you or me. They love Even Flow. I love Even Flow. They love Last Kiss. I love Last Kiss. IMO, Wreckage should have been an EV solo song and doesn’t fit the album at all. I’m more shocked that the song that made them famous to the TV generation, Jeremy, is 17th. 
    Jeremy is 17th because of the warning that's in the beginning of the video. Life Wasted also has a warning as well but not as popular as Jeremy.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I'm surprised we have not seen an official video of Dark Matter or Wreckage.  Aside from the visualizers I mean.  I think that would have helped a bit.  
    They also could have done more PR
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 7
    If Dark Matter was big enough of a rock hit to qualify for the AMAs and/or the Billboard Music Awards later this year. Maybe a mention on those shows might give it a boost. Would be nice if they performed at one of them. Unfortunately that won't happen. Also will be weird not seeing the AMAs on ABC anymore.

And the biggest hope of hopes is Dark Matter gets some Grammy nods. 

Maybe we'll see a song on a TV show this fall?
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    igotid88 said:

Where in the FUCK is Johnny Guitar?

I don't believe these numbers.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 7
    igotid88 said:

Where in the FUCK is Johnny Guitar?

I don't believe these numbers.
    Yea there are some missing. Like Mind Your Manners. Not sure why? But it's pretty much accurate. It's not up to the second. 
    Still hasn't put up the new album on the Spotify page
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,819
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:

I was expressing two separate thoughts.

1) I wouldn't have guessed that "Even Flow" would be atop this list, let alone by such a wide margin. This was not a comment on the quality of "Even Flow." It was a comment about its heaviness and tempo. I also would have expected "Jeremy" to be higher.

2) I was surprised and disappointed by the fact that people are more interested in listening to a 26-year-old cover recorded at soundcheck  that doesn't sound anything like Pearl Jam than they are two vital new Pearl Jam songs.

I don't get the point about "Wreckage" being an Eddie Vedder solo song. Stone plays the riff, Mike plays the solo. It would be a shell of what it is without the full band. I think it fits perfectly on the album as a break between the uptempo tracks 1, 2 and 4, and it fits lyrically with "Dark Matter" and other songs on the record.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    "World Wide Suicide" was the biggest hit they've had in the 21st century. It was very radio-friendly. So was "The Fixer," the lead single from Backspacer. They don't always zig where others zag.
  • Options
    edited June 8
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    "World Wide Suicide" was the biggest hit they've had in the 21st century. It was very radio-friendly. So was "The Fixer," the lead single from Backspacer. They don't always zig where others zag.
    Wouldn’t call either a “hit.” If the song is the only song the radio is playing from a new album it’s the only song that can be a “hit” because it’s the only song my old man knows because he listens to 97.9 still to this day. Here is my point, is WWS the best song on Pearl Jam? 2nd best? 3rd? How about The Fixer from Backspacer (granted that album had less than most)? I love almost all of their music but I think their singles, since they became “too famous,” have been set up by the band purposely to not have a huge reaction. BOB even has a quote in PJ20 book saying they didn’t put out the best songs from No Code as singles on purpose. 

From the new album, Dark Matter was a great start. Wreckage is a song I keep trying but I usually skip. That’s on me, my taste. That being said, almost everyone I play Waiting for Stevie for says “THAT is the Pearl Jam I remember” because they still want to hear the sound from 1990-1994
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    Wouldn’t call either a “hit.” If the song is the only song the radio is playing from a new album it’s the only song that can be a “hit” because it’s the only song my old man knows because he listens to 97.9 still to this day. Here is my point, is WWS the best song on Pearl Jam? 2nd best? 3rd? How about The Fixer from Backspacer (granted that album had less than most)? I love almost all of their music but I think their singles, since they became “too famous,” have been set up by the band purposely to not have a huge reaction. BOB even has a quote in PJ20 book saying they didn’t put out the best songs from No Code as singles on purpose. 

From the new album, Dark Matter was a great start. Wreckage is a song I keep trying but I usually skip. That’s on me, my taste. That being said, almost everyone I play Waiting for Stevie for says “THAT is the Pearl Jam I remember” because they still want to hear the sound from 1990-1994
    World Wide Suicide and The Fixer were hits. 41 and 56 on the Billboard Hot 100. Their last single to chart there was Sirens. And WWS was #1 on Alternative Airplay
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited June 8
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

Is Evenflow the best song on Ten?
    Is Dissident the best song on Vs?
    Is Bye Bye Bye the best song on No strings attached?

WWS was a great choice for a single. And objectivly because I think so - the best song of the album. And it did well. 

Don’t let the ”we can do anything because the money will never stop rolling in” specific situation of No Code color the perception of the rest of their career. 

They are not self sabotaging as a default. They want to have songs played. Why else would Kelly Curtis and the band do that Payola thing with KROQ in 2003?

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

WWS was a great choice for a single. And objectivly because I think so - the best song of the album. And it did well. 

Don’t let the ”we can do anything because the money will never stop rolling in” specific situation of No Code color the perception of the rest of their career. 

They are not self sabotaging as a default. They want to have songs played. Why else would Kelly Curtis and the band do that Payola thing with KROQ in 2003?

It wasn't Kelly and the band. It was Sony. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited June 8
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

"World Wide Suicide" was number one at rock radio for over a month. It fell one spot shy of hitting the top 40 of the Hot 100. It and "The Fixer" were both chosen because they were the most radio-friendly songs on their respective albums. The band wanted those albums to succeed. Eddie bragged on stage when Backspacer debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. No Code was a unique situation where the band was trying to take a step back.

It's not 1994 anymore. The people who want it to be 1992 don't buy or stream new music, or listen to radio stations that play new music. Releasing a song that sounds like it's from 1992 is not a recipe for expanding your audience in 2024. The vast majority of the audience that consumes new music isn't trying to relive 1992. 1992 is ancient history to them. It's ancient history to me, and I was practically an adult then.

Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

"World Wide Suicide" was number one at rock radio for over a month. It fell one spot shy of hitting the top 40 of the Hot 100. It and "The Fixer" were both chosen because they were the most radio-friendly songs on their respective albums. The band wanted those albums to succeed. Eddie bragged on stage when Backspacer debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 (their last album to hit No. 1). No Code was a unique situation where the band was trying to take a step back.

It's not 1994 anymore. The people who want it to be 1992 don't buy or stream new music, or listen to radio stations that play new music. Releasing a song that sounds like it's from 1992 is not a recipe for expanding your audience in 2024. The vast majority of the audience that consumes new music isn't trying to relive 1992. 1992 is ancient history to them. It's ancient history to me, and I was practically an adult then.

Lightning Bolt was their last number 1 album
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited June 8
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

"World Wide Suicide" was number one at rock radio for over a month. It fell one spot shy of hitting the top 40 of the Hot 100. It and "The Fixer" were both chosen because they were the most radio-friendly songs on their respective albums. The band wanted those albums to succeed. Eddie bragged on stage when Backspacer debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 (their last album to hit No. 1). No Code was a unique situation where the band was trying to take a step back.

Lightning Bolt was their last number 1 album
    Thank you, my bad. Corrected above.
  • Options
    The fact that people here rag on Sirens but it's their 4th most watched daily video on YouTube. And 11th most streamed on Spotify
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,829
    igotid88 said:
    The fact that people here rag on Sirens but it's their 4th most watched daily video on YouTube. And 11th most streamed on Spotify
    I love Sirens. The Sirens haters can go kick rocks. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    A lot of people don't understand that, in general, ballads have broader appeal than heavier songs. Guns N' Roses' biggest hits are "Sweet Child O' Mine," "November Rain" and "Patience," not "Welcome to the Jungle" or "Paradise City." KISS' biggest hits are "Beth" and "Forever," not "Detroit Rock City" or "Rock and Roll All Nite." I could give a lot of other examples.

That doesn't mean that anyone's subjective opinion about "Sirens" is wrong. It's just that sometimes people can't separate their subjective opinion from an objective appreciation of what a broader audience wants.
  • Options
    edited June 9
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

I am sure Kelly Curtis and Pearl Jam were completely out of the loop and blindsided
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:

I am sure Kelly Curtis and Pearl Jam were completely out of the loop and blindsided
    Guess it depends on what the band was told
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I'm guessing PJ will release Won't Tell as the fourth and final single from the new album days before they begin their European tour later this month. 🥑 
  • Options
    I'm guessing PJ will release Won't Tell as the fourth and final single from the new album days before they begin their European tour later this month. 🥑 
    "Running" was not a single.

If they envisioned "Won't Tell" as a single, it would have made sense for them to have played it more than three times on the first leg of the tour.
  • Options
    Well, that's my prediction buddy. We'll see what happens. 
  • Options
    Original post updated for charts for week ending June 15, 2024.

"Wreckage" climbs to No. 9 at alternative radio, No. 8 at mainstream rock and No. 6 at Triple-A. It also moves up from No. 36 to No. 28 on the Canada Rock chart.

Dark Matter hangs on in the top 50 of Top Current Album Sales for a seventh week, selling between 1,700 and 1,800 copies.