"Dark Matter" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    Did Ed say Won't Tell is going to be the next single at MSG tonight?

Also....how in the fuck are they are not doing Colbert or Fallon this week? 
    He said the Little Steven said to release it and he'll play it on his channel and make it the best song you'll ever hear segment. Or something to that effect. Here's hoping it is a single at some point 
    I miss igotid88
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,331
    igotid88 said:
    Linkin Park new single has 4 million views in 18 hours. Dark Matter has 2.1 million in 6 months. 
    Sure but, in the end, it doesn't even matter...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Linkin Park new single has 4 million views in 18 hours. Dark Matter has 2.1 million in 6 months. 
    Probably. But it would be nice if our guys got that kind of support 
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    You know what I was doing there, right?

It's not a question of support. It's a question of popularity (and, to a degree, marketing). Pearl Jam has a devoted fan base, but it's not anywhere near as large as it used to be, and a huge portion of it has no interest in new music.
    edited September 10
    Original post updated for charts for week ending September 14, 2024.

"Wreckage" holds for an eighth week at No. 1 on the Canada Rock chart. It rebounds from No. 18 to No. 15 on Rock & Alternative Airplay.

"Waiting for Stevie" debuts at No. 33 on the Mainstream Rock Airplay chart.

In other Pearl Jam-related chart news, Eddie Vedder's cover of "Save It for Later" falls off the Rock and Alternative Airplay chart after eight weeks. It peaked at No. 18. It also holds at No. 34 in its seventh week on the Alternative Airplay chart. It previously peaked at No. 29.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    You know what I was doing there, right?

It's not a question of support. It's a question of popularity (and, to a degree, marketing). Pearl Jam has a devoted fan base, but it's not anywhere near as large as it used to be, and a huge portion of it has no interest in new music.
    Yes I got it
    I miss igotid88
    Wish the Dark Matter songs got more love. I know it's doing well on rock radio. But Wreckage should have crossed over. I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie didn't do well. 

I miss igotid88
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 890
    Is Waiting For Stevie officially the next single?  If so, it’s about time.  Needs to actually be promoted now. 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    Apparently WFS was released as a single today. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 410
    igotid88 said:
    Wish the Dark Matter songs got more love. I know it's doing well on rock radio. But Wreckage should have crossed over. I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie didn't do well. 

I was at the Philly Sat night show with a buddy who is a casual PJ fan and leans much more toward the earlier songs. But he loves the new album and he was more pumped to hear Wreckage over any other tune the whole night. 

I am also surprised it did not cross over into any of the pop charts.

I do think Waiting for Stevie will do well at rock radio but probably nowhere else. I still think Won't Tell has the most crossover appeal of any song other than Wreckage.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • TK46426TK46426 Posts: 30
    I love Wreckage the way it is. But I wonder if it had been a 3min 30 seconds song if it would have had a better chance to cross over. 
    People here and on the fb groups crap on Sirens. But that crossedover a bit. And it's still in the top of their streams and youtube views. Still has more daily streams than Wreckage 
    I miss igotid88
  • rahjiimrahjiim Posts: 147
    igotid88 said:
    People here and on the fb groups crap on Sirens. But that crossedover a bit. And it's still in the top of their streams and youtube views. Still has more daily streams than Wreckage 
    Yeah, but what percentage of streamers actually chose to listen to the song, and how many just heard it on some playlist, or because it was suggested by the streaming app? These days it takes some efford to make the apps play what you really want to hear. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited September 11
    rahjiim said:
    igotid88 said:
    Yeah, but what percentage of streamers actually chose to listen to the song, and how many just heard it on some playlist, or because it was suggested by the streaming app? These days it takes some efford to make the apps play what you really want to hear. 
    People like Sirens. It's dope.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rahjiim said:
    igotid88 said:
    People like Sirens. It's dope. Live with it.
    I love it too. But Spotify and Amazon Music unlimited are far more likely to come up with it when i just play some sort of automatically generated list. 
    edited September 11
    rahjiim said:
    igotid88 said:
    If that were the case Wreckage would be getting more as it's more recent and should be in more new music types of playlists. It's not like Sirens is getting a huge amount of streams. So I would think those are genuine listens. The 2 music videos are closing on a 100 million combined views. 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    So SNL premiers in two weeks.

Is there ANY chance they are on it? 

Not sure of their schedule...
    www.myspace.com
    edited September 11
    So SNL premiers in two weeks.

Is there ANY chance they are on it? 

Not sure of their schedule...
    Ohana. Maybe the following week? I'm sure they're going to want a break before they head overseas again. So if they're not on the 2nd week then probably until next year if they still want to promote the album 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    rahjiim said:
    igotid88 said:
    If that were the case Wreckage would be getting more as it's more recent and should be in more new music types of playlists. It's not like Sirens is getting a huge amount of streams. So I would think those are genuine listens. The 2 music videos are closing on a 100 imillion combined views. 
    Well, i don't know how that works. I own the CD, but no CD-player. So stream, but usually full albums. And I listen to Dark Matter a lot. But when I use a playlist based on what I listened to recently, it usually includes Sirens. For years. Also Black. But nothing of Gigaton or Dark Matter. 
    Expecting a traditional rock song to cross over--i.e., to pop radio, which has the largest audience-- is a huge ask in 2024. Pop radio is not as eclectic as it was when I was growing up. It used to be rock, pop, R&B and even some country. Now it's dance-oriented pop, hip-hop-flavored R&B and electronic dance music. Rock and traditional R&B songs are rarely played on pop radio anymore. In the early 1990s, "Wreckage" would have easily been a top ten hit on the Hot 100. Today, that's an impossibility unless it were to have a TV or movie synch that created a groundswell of demand (as happened with Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" when it was used heavily in Stranger Things).
    BF25394 said:
    Expecting a traditional rock song to cross over--i.e., to pop radio, which has the largest audience-- is a huge ask in 2024. Pop radio is not as eclectic as it was when I was growing up. It used to be rock, pop, R&B and even some country. Now it's dance-oriented pop, hip-hop-flavored R&B and electronic dance music. Rock and traditional R&B songs are rarely played on pop radio anymore. In the early 1990s, "Wreckage" would have easily been a top ten hit on the Hot 100. Today, that's an impossibility unless it were to have a TV or movie synch that created a groundswell of demand (as happened with Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" when it was used heavily in Stranger Things).
    Or if Taylor Swift is on video singing along to it
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Or if Taylor Swift is on video singing along to it
    True.

Or if Trump tries to use it at one of his rallies and there's a heavily publicized cease-and-desist. And people might say, "Why would Trump play a song about combing through the wreckage that's arguably about his presidency?" To which I would respond, his theme song in 2016 was "You Can't Always Get What You Want."
    SO....

IF they do play SNL in a few weeks, what two songs do you think they will play and in what order?

Would they put Stevie in the prime slot before Weekend Update? Or do they give that to Wreckage maybe?

www.myspace.com
    I would be surprised if Pearl Jam makes a special trip to New York in October just to play Saturday Night Live. If they were interested in playing TV shows, the time would have been in the spring when the album was released. 
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    BF25394 said:
    I would be surprised if Pearl Jam makes a special trip to New York in October just to play Saturday Night Live. If they were interested in playing TV shows, the time would have been in the spring when the album was released. 
    They would also need for SNL to invite them, which might not be the slam dunk in 2024 that a lot of us might hope
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    They would also need for SNL to invite them, which might not be the slam dunk in 2024 that a lot of us might hope
    They keep inviting the Foo Fighters. So why not the best band in the world today?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    They keep inviting the Foo Fighters. So why not the best band in the world today?
    Yeah I do not think it is a stretch for them to be invited on SNL.
    www.myspace.com
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    I really want is for them to perform at the Grammys. That's if they get nominated of course. But that's even less likely than SNL.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    I really want is for them to perform at the Grammys. That's if they get nominated of course. But that's even less likely than SNL.
    I could not care less about the Grammys. 
    www.myspace.com