Options

Potential Ticketmaster Draw Issues

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,934
    SHZA said:
    JimmyV said:
    Anything that is reported 4-5 times in the first few hours after it happened has happened more than 4-5 times. 
    Yeah not all tickets are even out yet. Not everyone has looked at their tickets, and not everyone has posted about it. This is really widespread 
    Nothing to see here 

That's why it's a lottery . Some people just don't understand that.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 680
    Next tour the GA tix should go to you guys’ respective spouses. Y’all are a lot.
  • Options
    lisalamblisalamb Posts: 65
    FWIW I have different seat for N1 and N2 Seattle. I have a silly high 10C number, not sure if that matters.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,526
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Here’s another oddity to throw into the mix.  I got the exact same seats for Seattle N1 and N2.  P2 level.  With all the combinations of fans who won at various levels what are the chances of that?
    Wow, almost impossible 
    The odds of drawing the same seats for two different shows are exactly the same as the odds of drawing one set of seats for one show and a specific set of different seats for another show. Almost impossible, yes, but given the large sample size we're dealing with here, it will happen to someone.
    Hey, we could all debate this till the cows come home, we all love the band we all love each other. Why don’t we agree on some simple set of parameters for the difficult to get Northeast tickets into a probability analysis or an expected result analysis based on mathematics? Why don’t we just say for each difficult to get category such as P1 or GA, there are 1000 available tickets and 15,000 fans looking to get those tickets? Why can’t we just do the math on that and see what the statistical probability is to hit two shows, three shows, four shows with the GA, etc.?

It’s basic math we can make basic estimates and see what the odds are. It’s not a mystery. It’s math.
    0.002% to hit GA for 4 out of 4 shows

I am no math student (never made it past Algebra II), but can you really compound the odds when each draw is in a vacuum? 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Here’s another oddity to throw into the mix.  I got the exact same seats for Seattle N1 and N2.  P2 level.  With all the combinations of fans who won at various levels what are the chances of that?
    Wow, almost impossible 
    The odds of drawing the same seats for two different shows are exactly the same as the odds of drawing one set of seats for one show and a specific set of different seats for another show. Almost impossible, yes, but given the large sample size we're dealing with here, it will happen to someone.
    Hey, we could all debate this till the cows come home, we all love the band we all love each other. Why don’t we agree on some simple set of parameters for the difficult to get Northeast tickets into a probability analysis or an expected result analysis based on mathematics? Why don’t we just say for each difficult to get category such as P1 or GA, there are 1000 available tickets and 15,000 fans looking to get those tickets? Why can’t we just do the math on that and see what the statistical probability is to hit two shows, three shows, four shows with the GA, etc.?

It’s basic math we can make basic estimates and see what the odds are. It’s not a mystery. It’s math.
    0.002% to hit GA for 4 out of 4 shows

I am no math student (never made it past Algebra II), but can you really compound the odds when each draw is in a vacuum? 
    Yes you can , you can calculate the odds of independent events all occurring 
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    I think it's time to remove the word "Potential" from the title of this thread.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 631
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

If the winners were different and seat assignments random, I am gonna guess the odds would be billions to one, we are talking about hitting one in twenty thousand exactly the same twice in a row.

but we know seating is assigned based on seniority. Which makes it sound like the set of winners from night one to night two are very close to being exactly the same, or bootleg had the same winning number in order of seniority on the winners “list.” Either case, the odds seem long but difficult to calculate.

whether we are talking a kilo or a pound, seems another example of long odds, or someone is just having fun with this topic!
    The only way it would be likely is if you have one of the oldest TC numbers, otherwise it's almost impossible 
    Number is 165xxx.  Not bad but not the oldest.  Joined in 98.   Now what it could indicate is is that not that many people ahead of me opted for P2, or the exact same number of people ahead of me won P2.  Saw someone else hit exact same tix both nights in LA
  • Options
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

If the winners were different and seat assignments random, I am gonna guess the odds would be billions to one, we are talking about hitting one in twenty thousand exactly the same twice in a row.

but we know seating is assigned based on seniority. Which makes it sound like the set of winners from night one to night two are very close to being exactly the same, or bootleg had the same winning number in order of seniority on the winners “list.” Either case, the odds seem long but difficult to calculate.

whether we are talking a kilo or a pound, seems another example of long odds, or someone is just having fun with this topic!
    The only way it would be likely is if you have one of the oldest TC numbers, otherwise it's almost impossible 
    Number is 165xxx.  Not bad but not the oldest.  Joined in 98.   Now what it could indicate is is that not that many people ahead of me opted for P2, or the exact same number of people ahead of me won P2.  Saw someone else hit exact same tix both nights in LA
    This is extremely unlikely to happen, and I've seen 5 reports of it
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,585
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

More likely is that the person or group of people assigning seats for Ticketmaster are getting lazy and just duplicating the seat locations for those who won two nights. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

More likely is that the person or group of people assigning seats for Ticketmaster are getting lazy and just duplicating the seat locations for those who won two nights. 
    You would think it would be automated
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,953
    on2legs said:
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

It must be automated 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,290
    Michael Jackson Eating Popcorn GIFs  Tenor
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

This is actually interesting. I think it's more likely than it seems. Since seats are supposed to be in priority order, you'd expect roughly the same amount of lower member #s ahead of you for each drawing. Think of it this way - you'd be surprised if the seats from N1 and N2 were in completely different locations. You're most likely to have seats near the same location both nights. So it's not that odd that they're in the same spot.
  • Options
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

This is actually interesting. I think it's more likely than it seems. Since seats are supposed to be in priority order, you'd expect roughly the same amount of lower member #s ahead of you for each drawing. Think of it this way - you'd be surprised if the seats from N1 and N2 were in completely different locations. You're most likely to have seats near the same location both nights. So it's not that odd that they're in the same spot.
    The exact same seat would be highly unlikely 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

Could be...  I have P1 seats for both nights in Philly and my seats are not the same.  They're very comparable quality wise but they're on opposite sides of the arena from night to night - section 114 vs. section 124.   
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,894
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

Could be...  I have P1 seats for both nights in Philly and my seats are not the same.  They're very comparable quality wise but they're on opposite sides of the arena from night to night - section 114 vs. section 124.   
    Same for me for Seattle. I have P1 both nights and they're in sections opposite one another.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    You all are still arguing odds? Seriously? I thought it was pretty clear that this lottery didn't work the way we all assumed it would.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    My seats are same for both nights in Philly and Seattle 
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    You all are still arguing odds? Seriously? I thought it was pretty clear that this lottery didn't work the way we all assumed it would.
    It's what we do
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    mpedone said:
    It actually worked out a bit better than I thought it would actually after last year lol. 
  • Options
    bootleg said:
    BF25394 said:
    bootleg said:
    Wow, almost impossible 

Agree with this.  Back when the ten club would still sort and fill the envelopes with tickets for club members by hand, anytime I had seats for both nights they would be almost the same exact seats but on opposite sides of the arena.  And then I found out that their system was for night one they would start on Stone's side sorting the tickets and the next night they would start on Mike's side sorting the seats.  This way people weren't in the exact same spot.  So basically I would end up with a mirror image from night to night.

• Options
    PJNB said:
    mpedone said:
    It actually worked out a bit better than I thought it would actually after last year lol. 
    We have time for a redraw, don't get complacent
  • Options
    LukinTimerLukinTimer Posts: 538
    edited February 22

Post edited by LukinTimer on
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,526

Yes, this seems weird to me as seats were always assigned seat by seat, row by row, based on seniority.  Seem highly unlikely that the past protocol would result in the exact same seats for both nights. Fuel the conspiracy theories! This would suggest TM is up to something in assigning seats.  Anxious to see where my MSG P2 seats will be. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,242
    PJNB said:
    mpedone said:

I think you’re joking, but I doubt they’re going to have a redraw, as it would be difficult to prove a bad lottery here. When they had the seniority problem last year, that’s easy to prove without investigating what TM did. Members could compare results and it became obvious something was amiss. All we can say here is allegedly twenty or thirty or how many fans hit a PJ Quadrella when probability says it should be one in five or ten thousand. Can’t prove it and I doubt TM is admitting anything. In this case , it “seems” there is a chance that the same or very similar random number generator result was used for different shows.

it’s funny to the many here that try to make the point, hey just because one draw is independent of the other it’s very easy to get lucky twice. The truth is the randomness should make it much more difficult.

more importantly, is there a verified fan thread, when is that email coming out, tonight right? Can’t wait for that rejection, as the odds for an msg code must be way worse than winning the fan club lottery for MSG, helloooo stub hub.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    PJNB said:
    mpedone said:

I think you’re joking, but I doubt they’re going to have a redraw, as it would be difficult to prove a bad lottery here. When they had the seniority problem last year, that’s easy to prove without investigating what TM did. Members could compare results and it became obvious something was amiss. All we can say here is allegedly twenty or thirty or how many fans hit a PJ Quadrella when probability says it should be one in five or ten thousand. Can’t prove it and I doubt TM is admitting anything. In this case , it “seems” there is a chance that the same or very similar random number generator result was used for different shows.

it’s funny to the many here that try to make the point, hey just because one draw is independent of the other it’s very easy to get lucky twice. The truth is the randomness should make it much more difficult.

more importantly, is there a verified fan thread, when is that email coming out, tonight right? Can’t wait for that rejection, as the odds for an msg code must be way worse than winning the fan club lottery for MSG, helloooo stub hub.

Again, how is this a "bad draw"? Isn't it more likely that it's just a methodology we weren't expecting and don't like?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

Yes, this seems weird to me as seats were always assigned seat by seat, row by row, based on seniority.  Seem highly unlikely that the past protocol would result in the exact same seats for both nights. Fuel the conspiracy theories! This would suggest TM is up to something in assigning seats.  Anxious to see where my MSG P2 seats will be. 
    I was kidding as I lost all those shows 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,394
    bootleg said:
    Not that outlandish.
    Both prior sets of Fenway shows my seats for each night were same section and row, one year the 2 seats right next to the night prior, the other like 6 seats away.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,534
    PJNB said:
    mpedone said:

They also did the seniority redraw before distributing tickets last year. Would be messier now that people have claimed the tickets in their TM accounts 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,894
    In 2009, I went up to Seattle for the shows there upon the release of Backspacer. I picked up my tickets on the day of the first show and they were much, much worse than my member number should have produced. It turns out they had messed up the ticket blocks. When I told the Ten Club what happened, they ended up giving me a free one-year renewal and two free bootleg CDs. Since both of those were things I would have bought anyway (I always get the boots of the shows I attend on CD), it had the effect of subsidizing my ticket, as the cost of the three items was almost exactly the same as the cost of my ticket.

Incidentally, I had paired up with someone from the board who wanted my plus-one for the first show based on my member number. When he found out (via text) on the afternoon of the show where the misallocated seats were, he ghosted me. Fortunately, it worked out, but I had to scramble for a bit. I unloaded my pair for close to face value, and then paired up with someone with an even better member number than mine who had an extra. His seats were fantastic, and he was a great show buddy.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.