Options

Exclusive PJ listening party West Hollywood 1.31.24 - Confirmed DARK MATTER and wish I was there

Comments

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 681
    bobasfeet said:
    So when do you all think realistically announce will happen?  I feel like the newsletter will drop it all.
    I could imagine a single and/or album announcement tomorrow, if not then I’m expecting the whole megilla (album, single, tour) on 2/13
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    edited February 1
    bobasfeet said:
    So when do you all think realistically announce will happen?  I feel like the newsletter will drop it all.
    After seeing yesterday's event actually go down there's part of me that wonders if we'll get a single tomorrow. My brain says probably the 13th for the whole package, as has been discussed though. 10th is a Saturday so I'm not optimistic on anything but a tease in there.
  • Options
    albyslyalbysly Posts: 5
    I think it looks a little like a colon.....
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,366
    edited February 1
    kmcmanus said:

looks almost identical to Earthling, at least according to my memory
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,598
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

I have the postcards from the release hanging up on my office bulletin board and the one with Ed holding his guitar in front of a blue and black vortex is really similar.
  • Options
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

Earthling Eddie Vedder album - Wikipedia
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,086
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

Unless that is an intentional sly nod to same producer or something, that is a little too close. 
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 681
    bobasfeet said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

Unless that is an intentional sly nod to same producer or something, that is a little too close. 
    We don’t know that to be the album cover so maybe it’ll be something very different but yeah I think it’s closer than ideal.
  • Options
    MW105723MW105723 Posts: 16
    kmcmanus said:
    bobasfeet said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

We don’t know that to be the album cover so maybe it’ll be something very different but yeah I think it’s closer than ideal.
    The guy on the YT livestream yesterday said the shirt was NOT the album cover, and that the album cover was Space/Stars that kinda looked like Binaural, but also the Wu-Tang symbol on it's side.
    Minneapolis 6-30-98, St. Louis 7-2-98, Bonner Springs 7-3-98, East Troy 10-08-00, Chicago 10-09-00, Bonner Springs 6-12-2003, St. Paul 6-16-03, Chicago 6-18-03, East Troy 6-21-03, St. Paul 6-26-06, St. Paul 6-27-06, Milwaukee 6-29-06, Chicago 8-23-09, Wrigley 7-19-13, St. Paul 10-19-14, Wrigley 8-22-16, Wrigley 8-18-18, Wrigley 8-20-18, Oakland 5-12-22, Oakland 5-13-22, St. Paul 8-31-23, St. Paul 9-2-23, Chicago 9-7-23, Ft. Worth 9-15-23
  • Options
    MW105723 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    bobasfeet said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

The guy on the YT livestream yesterday said the shirt was NOT the album cover, and that the album cover was Space/Stars that kinda looked like Binaural, but also the Wu-Tang symbol on it's side.
    it would be cool to see something similar to Binaural art 
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 143
    kmcmanus said:

Since the moment I saw this, it's been giving me "Ash getting sucked through the time portal in Evil Dead II/Army of Darkness" vibes. I'm here for it.
    Hail to the King baby!
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,759
    kmcmanus said:

<3
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 574
    estarr31 said:
    Jeff Ament Jan 2024: we made this record like a year ago
    Jeff Ament Summer 2023: we've got a few things recorded, I really don't know where it's at right now
    these two statements go together. I'm not in the industry but usually takes a while to release a big band's album with marketing, releases, lining up with a tour. They were talking about recording new music in 2022. 
    the absolutely do not. "a few things recorded" 6 months after it was "in the can" are not at all the same thing. 
    you're taking a musicians words too literal 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,743
    edited February 1
    Jeff Ament Summer 2023: we've got a few things recorded, I really don't know where it's at right now
    Spoken like a guy who plays bass. 
    hey! I play bass! haha
    Me too! 

Jeff probably laid his tracks down a long time ago, and didn’t want to wait around for Mike’s whiddly-whiddly-woooweeerrrr-deedly-doo
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 269

My hope is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam what Death Magnetic is to Metallica. 

A poorly produced, ultra-compresses collection of above average songs? No one wants this.

Death Magnetic should have been soooo good. It was unlistenable.

• Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,804
    Predaking said:

My hope is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam what Death Magnetic is to Metallica. 

A poorly produced, ultra-compresses collection of above average songs? No one wants this.

I don't hear that album that way at all.  St. Anger was unlistenable.  That was poorly produced and horrible songs.  I like the sound of Death Magnetic, and really like the songs on there, and it was their best album in 17 years.  Hell, everyone loves And Justice For All and you can barely hear the bass on it.  Agree to disagree on this one.
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 269
    Predaking said:

I don't hear that album that way at all.  St. Anger was unlistenable.  That was poorly produced and horrible songs.  I like the sound of Death Magnetic, and really like the songs on there, and it was their best album in 17 years.  Hell, everyone loves And Justice For All and you can barely hear the bass on it.  Agree to disagree on this one.
    You like it, you like it. I hear potential return to greatness, but the harshness of Lars' cymbals and the compression applied to the recording is God awful. It is the pinnacle of loudness wars. I revisited the 45rpm box set version and it still is awful to my ears.

Heard a few of the tracks live on tour and they are great though. Shame about the production. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,626
    edited February 1
    Predaking said:

Come on now. Didn't even the guy mastering the record give excuses for it.

AND IF YOU WANT GREAT YOU LISTEN TO THE FIRST HALF OF LOAD AND THEN YOU CHANGE AND PUT ON RELOAD AND YOU LISTEN TO THE FIRST HALF OF THAT UNTIL IT SLEEPS
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/pearl-jam-throws-listening-party-new-album-eddie-106852555?fbclid=IwAR1xjcP0Cee4pDnZF6SsiQyQ6_jtHARQKUmyvX2yMzHSSHFmSBUFn-A6hoU

“We made this record like a year ago," Ament told the audience. “We’ve been sitting on it.”

“Gigaton” surprised many fans and critics with how hard-rocking it was. The new one goes even harder. It's almost athletic in its speed, aggression, and tenacity, sounding like it would make men of their age sore in the aftermath.

While Vedder remains the face and voice of the band, the star of this album is drummer Matt Cameron, who joined the Jam in 1998 after starting out with Soundgarden.

His relentless pounding opens many of the 11 tracks, and drowns out his bandmates' playing and Vedder's vocals at times.

“It's one of the greatest drum records we’ve ever made,” Vedders said to cheers from a crowd that included Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. “Matt Cameron is just playing out of his skull, especially seeing as how it’s our last record.”

There were a few things in that article that made me raise my eyebrows, but nothing more so than "the Jam". If people have been referring to them all these years as "the Jam" and I've been missing it, then shame on me!
  • Options
    Predaking said:

Come on now. Didn't even the guy mastering the record give excuses for it.

AND IF YOU WANT GREAT YOU LISTEN TO THE FIRST HALF OF LOAD AND THEN YOU CHANGE AND PUT ON RELOAD AND YOU LISTEN TO THE FIRST HALF OF THAT UNTIL IT SLEEPS
    Perhaps he did?  I have no idea.  I just know that when I put that album on for the first time, and every time after I loved it, still do.  Loudness wars was definitely a thing then, and it doesn't bother me all that much.  Kind of like 80s rock music with way too much reverb on the drums-- it's a time stamp.  Even Ten sounds a little 80s.

Load and Reload are both pretty good, but I'll take Death Magnetic over either of them.  I'll put DM right up there:
    1.  Master or Puppets
    2.  And Justice for All / Ride the Lightning
    3.  Black Album
    4.  Kill Em All
    5.  Death Magnetic

Anyway, when I heard Death Magnetic, I said "Now this is how I like my Metallica."  I hope to say the same thing about Dark Matter and PJ.
  • Options
    Predaking said:
    Predaking said:

You like it, you like it. I hear potential return to greatness, but the harshness of Lars' cymbals and the compression applied to the recording is God awful. It is the pinnacle of loudness wars. I revisited the 45rpm box set version and it still is awful to my ears.

Heard a few of the tracks live on tour and they are great though. Shame about the production. 

Predaking said:.

It was a great tour!  Still the only time I caught Metallica.  Saw them in Albany, great show.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    ^ meh tallica - let's circle back and talk about piss again! Much more pleasant.
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,668
    I had a dream that Johnny Guitar Watson was staring at me while I was pissing.
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,759
    edited February 1
    Spunkie said:
    ^ meh tallica - let's circle back and talk about piss again! Much more pleasant.
    Piss-Bottle Men, we’ve been talking about them the whole time, no?
    Post edited by yosi on
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    SS657083SS657083 Posts: 124
    With a guy like Watt being a mega fan of the band, there's a great chance he knows how to guide them through this process to maximize their strengths.  I think Watt also knows what constitutes a hit these days and how to put a modern spin on a classic band.

Good points Vinny. I like this comparison and I hope you are 100% spot on. I remember how surprised (in a good way) I was listening to Death Magnetic for the first time. But then again, the release before that was St. Anger.   

In any case, any new PJ music is great, but imagine getting an album that has strong Ten or Vs. vibes with its own modern-day Pearl Jam polish?
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    yosi said:
    Spunkie said:
    Piss-Bottle Men, we’ve been talking about them the whole time, no? 
    This is more like it.

• Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    verceman said:
    kmcmanus said:
    estarr31 said:
    these two statements go together. I'm not in the industry but usually takes a while to release a big band's album with marketing, releases, lining up with a tour. They were talking about recording new music in 2022. 
    the absolutely do not. "a few things recorded" 6 months after it was "in the can" are not at all the same thing. 
    But Jeff’s the one who does most of the art direction, so when Stone’s work is finished he still has all of that left to do. He might honestly have a very different idea of “finished” than the other guys.
    In one of his podcast interviews over the summer he was downright defiant that the songs weren't done and he implied that he wanted to push Eddie and Mike to push themselves a bit more. It was in June and he said they were taking a break for the summer and regrouping in September to revisit the tracks. Quite the ruse.
    At the time, that interview seemed like the most honest take I'd heard on the band from a member. There was a clear sense of disappointment about the band not meeting their potential, and it made me wonder whether they might be nearing the end of the road. He was talking about how they had everything they needed to be great, with the clear implication that he felt they could do better. I believe the line was "We should be killing it right now..."

Very hard to know what to make of all that. 
    Yes, exactly. Now maybe was all a ruse and the album was actually done months earlier? Very strange. Sure seemed genuine to my ears. Either Jeff's timing is off when he said they had been sitting on the album for a year, or Jeff missed his calling as an actor. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,263
    psst a fresh pressed? 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,894
    AO253126 said:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/pearl-jam-throws-listening-party-new-album-eddie-106852555?fbclid=IwAR1xjcP0Cee4pDnZF6SsiQyQ6_jtHARQKUmyvX2yMzHSSHFmSBUFn-A6hoU

“We made this record like a year ago," Ament told the audience. “We’ve been sitting on it.”

“Gigaton” surprised many fans and critics with how hard-rocking it was. The new one goes even harder. It's almost athletic in its speed, aggression, and tenacity, sounding like it would make men of their age sore in the aftermath.

While Vedder remains the face and voice of the band, the star of this album is drummer Matt Cameron, who joined the Jam in 1998 after starting out with Soundgarden.

His relentless pounding opens many of the 11 tracks, and drowns out his bandmates' playing and Vedder's vocals at times.

“It's one of the greatest drum records we’ve ever made,” Vedders said to cheers from a crowd that included Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. “Matt Cameron is just playing out of his skull, especially seeing as how it’s our last record.”

There were a few things in that article that made me raise my eyebrows, but nothing more so than "the Jam". If people have been referring to them all these years as "the Jam" and I've been missing it, then shame on me!
    Actually, the writer meant that Matt has been drumming for The Jam, the Paul Weller outfit, since 1998 even though they broke up in 1982.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,263
    Kind of annoyed by that too. Maybe it will [never] catch on. Then again, I'm easily annoyed. Hey GET OFF MY LAWN!!