Options

Pearljam Australia Tour 2024

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,685
    Oh tell me about the fjords! I missed that briwsing so far! I was in Montenegro once which is almost like a Fjord, so beautiful. I'm not going to drive down the coast so imagine I'll miss quite a bit.

I have started some research on the First Nation people there and the traditional territory I'm going to be visiting. 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,420
    Spunkie said:
    Thanks 😊 @Sea! U2, GotB
    Just be careful over-sharing....😉
  • Options
    Hell, I don't know what I'm more excited for Pearl Jam or the Twix taco!

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Spunkie said:
    Oh tell me about the fjords! I missed that briwsing so far! I was in Montenegro once which is almost like a Fjord, so beautiful. I'm not going to drive down the coast so imagine I'll miss quite a bit.

I have started some research on the First Nation people there and the traditional territory I'm going to be visiting. 
    The fjords are located on the South Island of NZ.   Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound are what I am planning to do.  No cell phone.  No WiFi.  Just sitting back and staring at nature.
  • Options
    I went and looked them up earlier. They look so beautiful!
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 830
    Yup. Milford is the quintessential NZ shot but Doubtful is the daddy. Also if you like espresso based coffee you can get a world class cup anywhere in the country-like little podunk towns with three men and a dog living there. Wellington and Melbourne are the two best coffee cities in the world for mine (Sydney Auckland and NYC not far off). Fox Glacier is also less prone to heli-hike tours being canned as the terrain is more stable now.

If you plan on taking the Picton ferry bear in mind they have been notoriously unreliable for a couple of years. 

Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    E Sim /Sim Cards NZ/Aus Questio 

I've had problems with my add-on data roaming in Hawaii trying to catch an Uber to Hanauma bay. I'm thinking about picking something up in the New Zealand airport, it looks like there's a One store in arrivals.

Does anyone have any experience with buying airports SIM cards or buying e Sims Online? I'm looking for unlimited data in Australia and New Zealand.
  • Options
    My last trip to Australia.. my phone had a problem and died...I was stuck and I bought a cheapish phone at Woolworth. Used that while I was there rest of trip while my new phone was being sent to my home. You'd have to do research if you're looking for unlimited overseas.. usually costs alot. 
  • Options
    Plus you have 8 months to figure it out
  • Options
    Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 244
    Spunkie said:
    E Sim /Sim Cards NZ/Aus Questio 

I've had problems with my add-on data roaming in Hawaii trying to catch an Uber to Hanauma bay. I'm thinking about picking something up in the New Zealand airport, it looks like there's a One store in arrivals.

Does anyone have any experience with buying airports SIM cards or buying e Sims Online? I'm looking for unlimited data in Australia and New Zealand.
    2degrees do a unlimited sim for NZ that you can get in multiple places-  then preload it for use for no of days need. I got mine on arrival many years ago with no issues. I presume still works same way.

https://www.2degrees.nz/mobile-plans/unlimited-travel-sim

I dont know about Australia tho but i think if getting back to pre covid, as both countries big for backpackers on working holidays and people on longer trips down under that there will be plenty of options for sim card and data plans on arrival.
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • Options
    Thanks, mate! (I'm practicing my 🥝🥝🥝 speech for down under! I haven't figured out how you guys get any work done with all this 'mate' and 'down under' chat.)

^^GtB... @RatherStarved had a rogue wave take out his phone while sight seeing near Dana Point at Ohana! He was just so chill about it, too! 

I guess it's more important to me to have one SIM that works reliably in both countries than unlimited data.
  • Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 133
    Spunkie said:
    I've got renewed excitement again!
    All of my flights and hotels are paid to Auk, Ool, Lady Elliott Island, Syd and home (except for my Gold Coast hotel)! 

Hope for PJ tix to kick my vacay up a notch! 

Pipsqeuak is going to have so much fun! We're gonna bungee jump off the Auckland bridge; hit Dreamworld🎢 in GC and surf Paradise beach; snorkel the Great Barrier Reef 🤿; as well as a🏄‍♀️ surf lesson on Manly and 🐨 Taronga Zoo🦘in Sydney. 

My recommendations are if you are on the Gold Coast and have time, also go to WB Movie World, they have pretty good roller coaster rides too and is about 20min drive from GC. All the beaches along surfers Paradise are awesome to surf, there is long stretch of 50kms (30 miles) of beach all along the coast where you can catch a wave. 

If you can, there is Australia zoo that is about 1hr from Brisbane by car which is worth a look.

If you have a few minutes while in Sydney go to Bondi too if you haven’t been there, surf is good there too.
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    Bondi? Yeah, nah...
  • Options
    edited January 22
    I know I've been looking at that swimming pool by Bondi. It reminds me of the seaside pools at 2nd beach in Stanley Park, Vancouver and Kitsilano, without the amazing waves. From Circular Quay, it looks easy to get to Manly on a ferry. It seemed like Bondi, for some reason, people take a ferry and bus? 

I was looking at Warner Brother world, as well. Do you think it's better than Dreamworld if I can't do both? Is it awesome because of the imagination aspect compared to just thrill? We get a fair passing through our town with five thrill rides a couple times a year, so will definitely will try to do both, thank you, I couldn't agree more!

...Will definitely hire some locals to give us a push in Surfer's Paradise wash zone so we can surf! 😆
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Nikto said:
    Spunkie said:
    I've got renewed excitement again!
    All of my flights and hotels are paid to Auk, Ool, Lady Elliott Island, Syd and home (except for my Gold Coast hotel)! 

Hope for PJ tix to kick my vacay up a notch! 

Pipsqeuak is going to have so much fun! We're gonna bungee jump off the Auckland bridge; hit Dreamworld🎢 in GC and surf Paradise beach; snorkel the Great Barrier Reef 🤿; as well as a🏄‍♀️ surf lesson on Manly and 🐨 Taronga Zoo🦘in Sydney. 

My recommendations are if you are on the Gold Coast and have time, also go to WB Movie World, they have pretty good roller coaster rides too and is about 20min drive from GC. All the beaches along surfers Paradise are awesome to surf, there is long stretch of 50kms (30 miles) of beach all along the coast where you can catch a wave. 

If you can, there is Australia zoo that is about 1hr from Brisbane by car which is worth a look.

If you have a few minutes while in Sydney go to Bondi too if you haven’t been there, surf is good there too.
    ✔️ Done. Fit WB into itinerary 😀
    There's gonna be a jetlag meltdown to pay for it lol.

But until we find out how bad Air Canada screws our flights that they sold us, I won't know if we can fit Bondi in. 
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    Spunkie said:
    I know I've been looking at that swimming pool by Bondi. It reminds me of the seaside pools at 2nd beach in Stanley Park, Vancouver and Kitsilano, without the amazing waves. From Circular Quay, it looks easy to get to Manly on a ferry. It seemed like Bondi, for some reason, people take a ferry and bus? 

I was looking at Warner Brother world, as well. Do you think it's better than Dreamworld if I can't do both? Is it awesome because of the imagination aspect compared to just thrill? We get a fair passing through our town with five thrill rides a couple times a year, so will definitely will try to do both, thank you, I couldn't agree more!

...Will definitely hire some locals to give us a push in Surfer's Paradise wash zone so we can surf! 😆
    Movie World & Dreamworld both have some pretty cool rides.
    The Hypercoaster & Superman rides at MW are the 2 main big thrill rides.
    DW has the Steel Taipan, The Claw and the Giant Drop.
    They both have a bunch of other smaller rides as well.
    DW also has an animal section which is kind of like a mini zoo where you can hold koalas and feed kangaroos.

They are both a fun day out  :)

I'm a local and have been to both many times - I'm more than happy to offer any advice or answer any questions you (or anyone) may have about theme parks or anything else on the Gold Coast.

I'm really hoping the rumors are true and they and the do play down here at Heritage Stadium as I live only 5 minutes away from it....
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Thanks, @Redraw!

Is taking the 740 bus back from Heritage Bank Stadium to Surfers Paradise feasible after the show?

Maybe a hotel near Broad Beach shuttle stop is better?
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,517
    Already a lot in rumor thread on this.... please close this one @sea?
    I guess the boomerang effect is keeping this thread open.
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    Thanks, @Redraw!

Is taking the 740 bus back from Heritage Bank Stadium to Surfers Paradise feasible after the show?

Maybe a hotel near Broad Beach shuttle stop is better?
    They always have a heap of shuttle buses that run to Surfers and Broadbeach after shows so doesn't really matter where you choose to stay - wait times can be long tho...
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
  • Options
    ^ Thank you for that info as I didn't come across any news of shuttles that run to Surfers Paradise. Cheers!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,984

• Options
    ^ Happy Australia day, indeed! I just had my e-toursist Visa granted to visit. That  should have been my first step. The ETA app was cheaper (20Aus) than that Immu site/office that wanted 190$.
  • Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 133
    redraw said:
    Spunkie said:

Movie World & Dreamworld both have some pretty cool rides.
    The Hypercoaster & Superman rides at MW are the 2 main big thrill rides.
    DW has the Steel Taipan, The Claw and the Giant Drop.
    They both have a bunch of other smaller rides as well.
    DW also has an animal section which is kind of like a mini zoo where you can hold koalas and feed kangaroos.

They are both a fun day out  :)

I'm a local and have been to both many times - I'm more than happy to offer any advice or answer any questions you (or anyone) may have about theme parks or anything else on the Gold Coast.

I'm really hoping the rumors are true and they and the do play down here at Heritage Stadium as I live only 5 minutes away from it....
    I agree with all of this, Superman ride is awesome. I am not game enough for the Giant Drop, my wife an 14 year old went on it the other day, but I just watched.

Like redraw said, the shuttle buses are easy and you will get back to Surfer’s no problem.

Bondi is a pain to get to, I hire a car and drive but parking is a nightmare. I have never been there by public transport sorry.
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    Any advise on Stadium seating/GA/likely weather if outdoors?
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    Spunkie said:
    Aussies suck it up no matter what weather. Just get the ticket you want and deal with it. They'll all be outside 
  • Options
    ^GB, What do you consider a good spot at a stadium show?  GA?  I've never been inside a stadium. I'll have to look at a couple more pictures and venue layouts, but they look packed!

• Options
    Spunkie said:
    ^GB, What do you consider a good spot at a stadium show?  GA?  I've never been inside a stadium. I'll have to look at a couple more pictures and venue layouts, but they look packed!

They are packed... whole floor is GA. For Springsteen at AAMI I was on rail on Nils side... when Eddie came out. Never been inside a stadium? Geez.. no stadium shows or sporting events? Ever? 
    If you want rail you'll spend at least a day or 2 in line.. in the heat... good luck. 
  • Options
    edited January 29
    This is Etihad in Melbourne, typical stadium like AAMI. I'm on the front rail and took a picture of crowd behind. No one can tell you what is best for YOU. if you don't mind being in a huge crush then do GA
    . If you want safer do a seat. Asking people 7+month out is kind of moot.... nothings announced or on sale. 
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • Options
    Spunkie said:

Seems like they will all be stadium shows.

November over here is starting to get warm, but not crazy hot.

GA can get pretty crowded but it depends on where you stand and how close you like to be to the front.

Most bigger shows will have the GA sectioned off with a fence so if you are in the front section, it is easy to head towards the back and find breathing space but still be reasonably close to the stage.

We did this for Foo Fighters last month at Suncorp with 3 kids in our group without a problem - still a great view of the stage with plenty of room to dance around and the kids were even able to sit down for a while when they got a bit tired without getting crushed or stepped on
  • Options
    edited January 29
    That's really helpful information @redraw as I will be bringing a preteen! Thank you.

Before I fell asleep last night, I recalled that I was at UBC Thunderbird stadium (on traditional, ancestral, unceded Musqueum territory) which can host 5,000 on their field or seat 3000 for the year 2 Lollapalooza, @gotthebottle. Thank you for the pictures. I enjoyed looking at you sporting your Stickman shirt! Beautiful happiness 😊 

These huge Australian and New Zealand's stadiums are going to be a whole new ball game! I'm guessing Pipsqueak will want the action close to the stage. It'd be nice to be able to go there and then pick and choose which date has better weather in Sydney and New Zealand, but likely I will want everything planned ahead!

I did start looking at the weather last year in November so I could get an idea. We will get what we get and we won't be upset! This is going to be amazing!!!! I'm so thankful for Pearl Jam to hit the road and to inspire us to travel to that part of Mother Earth!

:hang_loose: