Pearl Jam Ruoff Music Center Postponement

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,321
    I was at the Oakland shows. The energy in the arena was incredible but the performance was definitely hanging together by a thread. You can hear it on the bootlegs how the rhythm section was struggling to hold it together, and Ed actually reacted visibly at the shows because it was throwing him off at times. They were special, memorable nights, but the band was obviously not itself-- and how could they have been? They pulled a random guy out of the crowd to play drums on one song! Richard Stuverud had one day's notice to prep for the catalog of a band he is not in and has never been in. It's amazing it sounded as good as it did, even if as good as it did was not quite to their standard.

This is one the things that's so frustrating about the complaints about cancelled or postponed shows. The band went to extreme lengths last year in Oakland and Fresno to keep the show on the road, with the added problem in Fresno that Ed was sick as a dog. Think about how much extra work went into those shows, having to rehearse songs with three different drummers on virtually no notice. They didn't have to do all of that. They could have just pulled the plug, but they didn't. That tells me that, when they make a decision that the show can't go on, the show really can't go on.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    Have to say… I think hearing nothing for 2 days now doesn’t look good for FW1 happening.

If the person was fully recovered, you would think some sort of statement would have been put out there. 

But if there really is some sort of same day insurance thing they’re trying not to violate, they must still think they may have to use it tomorrow - hence the silence 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,028
    Have to say… I think hearing nothing for 2 days now doesn’t look good for FW1 happening.

If the person was fully recovered, you would think some sort of statement would have been put out there. 

But if there really is some sort of same day insurance thing they’re trying not to violate, they must still think they may have to use it tomorrow - hence the silence 
    I see it the other way, no new news is good news. They already said the shows are scheduled as planned so no need to update. Who knows though, fingers crossed for everyone going 
  • Have to say… I think hearing nothing for 2 days now doesn’t look good for FW1 happening.

appreciate your optimism. Those of us in FW tonight in tents for GA or enjoying the city choose our glasses to be half full. Here is to the show of a short tour tomorrow night.
    wbutler29 said:

appreciate your optimism. Those of us in FW tonight in tents for GA or enjoying the city choose our glasses to be half full. Here is to the show of a short tour tomorrow night.
    Hope it happens for you all.  I didn’t have the guts to keep my night 2 plans, hoping the band proves me wrong with two great shows.
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,464
    BF25394 said:
    I was at the Oakland shows. The energy in the arena was incredible but the performance was definitely hanging together by a thread. You can hear it on the bootlegs how the rhythm section was struggling to hold it together, and Ed actually reacted visibly at the shows because it was throwing him off at times. They were special, memorable nights, but the band was obviously not itself-- and how could they have been? They pulled a random guy out of the crowd to play drums on one song! Richard Stuverud had one day's notice to prep for the catalog of a band he is not in and has never been in. It's amazing it sounded as good as it did, even if as good as it did was not quite to their standard.

This is one the things that's so frustrating about the complaints about cancelled or postponed shows. The band went to extreme lengths last year in Oakland and Fresno to keep the show on the road, with the added problem in Fresno that Ed was sick as a dog. Think about how much extra work went into those shows, having to rehearse songs with three different drummers on virtually no notice. They didn't have to do all of that. They could have just pulled the plug, but they didn't. That tells me that, when they make a decision that the show can't go on, the show really can't go on.
    Bang on. We've all seen Ed perform sick as a dog..when they don't go on you know there's damn good reason. They hate disappointing fans. 

I think also band can't say the show is definitely going cuz let's face it if it's contagious illness someone else could turn up sick as a dog tomorrow. I take silence as it's on until otherwise noted.
  • Sea said:

News September 10 2023

Pearl Jam's concert at Ruoff Music Center tonight (Sunday, September 10) has been postponed due to illness. The band is deeply sorry, and thinking about all those who travel to shows, as well as the great crowd in Indy. It’s obviously serious, and we wish there was another way around it.

Again we apologize, and thanks so much for your understanding.
    It’s not easy...   

Tickets will be honored for a future, rescheduled date. Ticket holders who cannot make the new show will be eligible for a refund. 

The upcoming concerts in Ft. Worth (September 13 & 15) and Austin (September 18 & 19) are currently scheduled as planned.

Considering the severity of illness it must take to postpone a show, with all the disappointed fans like us that drove 11 hours, we are hoping the band member who is sick is going to be ok. It was my lifelong wish to see them play (at 52 and losing my dad last year and my job the same year and taking care of mom with failing memory), but we all get sick and I would not not want to see a show without Eddie. I know he sang through the smoke of the Paris wildfires and suffered for it. He has a family that wants him healthy, even more than his fans do. They are a group of amazing musicians who give us their all on stage and beyond, with charity and kindness. Let’s give them all some gratitude and well-wishes instead of griping about our disappointment and inconvenience. We stayed at the Sleepy Bear campground across from Ruoff despite the concert postponement, and they got a fantastic local band to play for those of us who stayed. They provided food vending and the fans made a great night of it anyway. Every one of us hopes the sick member(s) is on the mend really soon and Jack and I will try to get a refund and get lucky enough to get presale tix for the next show we have vacation time to attend. Love and good health to the band and all the followers like us. 

• So, any news on who's sick with what yet? Are they recovering? 🤒😟😕 I know, I shouldn't worry, but I do. 🤷‍♀️
  • Sea said:

News September 10 2023

Pearl Jam's concert at Ruoff Music Center tonight (Sunday, September 10) has been postponed due to illness. The band is deeply sorry, and thinking about all those who travel to shows, as well as the great crowd in Indy. It’s obviously serious, and we wish there was another way around it.

Again we apologize, and thanks so much for your understanding.
    It’s not easy...   

Tickets will be honored for a future, rescheduled date. Ticket holders who cannot make the new show will be eligible for a refund. 

The upcoming concerts in Ft. Worth (September 13 & 15) and Austin (September 18 & 19) are currently scheduled as planned.

Considering the severity of illness it must take to postpone a show, with all the disappointed fans like us that drove 11 hours, we are hoping the band member who is sick is going to be ok. It was my lifelong wish to see them play (at 52 and losing my dad last year and my job the same year and taking care of mom with failing memory), but we all get sick and I would not not want to see a show without Eddie. I know he sang through the smoke of the Paris wildfires and suffered for it. He has a family that wants him healthy, even more than his fans do. They are a group of amazing musicians who give us their all on stage and beyond, with charity and kindness. Let’s give them all some gratitude and well-wishes instead of griping about our disappointment and inconvenience. We stayed at the Sleepy Bear campground across from Ruoff despite the concert postponement, and they got a fantastic local band to play for those of us who stayed. They provided food vending and the fans made a great night of it anyway. Every one of us hopes the sick member(s) is on the mend really soon and Jack and I will try to get a refund and get lucky enough to get presale tix for the next show we have vacation time to attend. Love and good health to the band and all the followers like us. 

👍
  • Summersas79Summersas79 Posts: 89
    edited September 2023
    mcgruff10 said:
    Spurs14 said:
    It's Pearl Jam, not Eddie Vedder and friends.  I want to see and hear Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, and Matt or I'd be massively disappointed.
    Apologies to Boom and Josh.
    I 3rd this. Eddie is great, but it's not the same without them all. Each person brings a unique fire and sound. I can't imagine someone covering for one of them, it wouldn't be Pearl Jam.
    Yes it would... Ed IS PJ. You can take Ed out of PJ an he'll carry it wherever he goes. Any other guy an no... Nope. Uh-uh. They can't carry that weight individually, he can tho. 
    Strong disagree here… as talented a performer as Ed is, there’s a reason I could take or leave his solo shows but will travel thousands of miles for Pearl Jam. I could take a stand in for Matt or Boom for a night, but it wouldn’t be Pearl Jam w/ out Mike running around like a squirrel on cocaine or Jeff & Stone locked in on their grooves. 

Would I have boycotted one of the St Paul shows if I knew Josh was filling for one of those three? Of course not… but I would have been disappointed about missing that musician, and in my mind there would be an asterisk next to that show. 
    I think the vast majority of us wouldn't notice musically if any of the members minus ed wasn't playing a specific night.  
    Thats the point I was trying to make. Now, I have not seen them all together live. Covid f*ckered that up for me when Ohana 2020 got cancelled an the Gigaton tour postponed. Then life got in the way an couldn't make it to 2021 Ohana. That said, still a major goal to see the lads live all together. I KNOW it'd be epic. But, if I never get to experience that, am thrilled with just Ed. 😊 Also, I absolutely respect everyone else's opinions if they disagree with mine. I can understand why they feel that way an I just gotta say, this place is so awesome in how respectfully we treat each other. You guys rock! Ya make me proud to be a member! 😁🥰👍🤙❤️‍🔥
    Post edited by Summersas79 on
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    Well my tinfoil hat tells me that if their statement was true, and someone in the band was really sick on Sunday, they must have found a way to swap in someone for tonight.  We all know who the obvious choice was for this type of scenario.  Either way, looks like FW may get their shows, which despite my personal wallowing, is a good thing.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Hankj25 said:
    Well my tinfoil hat tells me that if their statement was true, and someone in the band was really sick on Sunday, they must have found a way to swap in someone for tonight.  We all know who the obvious choice was for this type of scenario.  Either way, looks like FW may get their shows, which despite my personal wallowing, is a good thing.
    In fairness though, we only assumed it was someone in the band, the statement wasn’t specific… it could have been one of their family members for all we know. 

I also think what we saw last year w/ stand ins for sick band members will have been an aberration, I don’t see that happening much moving forward. (But what do I know?) 
  • mr bungle said:
    Couldn't Josh fill in for anyone except Eddie on any given night if needed?  Look at the lengths the band went to last year to keep the tour rolling!   They used Josh and just about every other drummer in there history behind the kit.  Wasn't untill the second member got sick that they pulled the plug.  Just thinking out loud here.
    Yes - that’s why I think EV was the one down for the count.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • There is no way this was canceled because of 6000 oversold tickets. The venue would have taken it on the chin and refunded those that showed up. I’m sure they would have sent out an email saying not to show up. Why on earth would Pearl Jam take the hit for the venue? They wouldn’t.
    Right - why not just instantly cancel and refund the last 6,000 tickets sold for the lawn days before the show. No way PJ took the blame for this.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • I can't wrap my brain around people thinking Josh could fill in for Mike. I suppose that speaks more to the limitations of my own imagination than anything else. 
  • Josh can play every instrument no problems. Not saying he is anywhere near what people want. But that guy plays every instrument very well
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I can't wrap my brain around people thinking Josh could fill in for Mike. I suppose that speaks more to the limitations of my own imagination than anything else. 
    They are professional guitar players.  But they would have to do rehearsing of 40 songs I would expect for Josh to get comfortable.  It is one thing to join on stage for RITFW or some other famous song all musicians know, and totally other thing to play specific parts to compliment Stone and Ed’s guitars
    They are professional guitar players.  But they would have to do rehearsing of 40 songs I would expect for Josh to get comfortable.  It is one thing to join on stage for RITFW or some other famous song all musicians know, and totally other thing to play specific parts to compliment Stone and Ed’s guitars
    I understand. 

I still don't see anyone replacing McCready's stage presence. Pearl Jam without Mike McCready wouldn't be Pearl Jam to me. I wouldn't boycott the show, and would appreciate them trying to power through, but I also understand if they took the position of not wanting to play if one of the 5 core members was unable. 
    I understand. 

I still don't see anyone replacing McCready's stage presence. Pearl Jam without Mike McCready wouldn't be Pearl Jam to me. I wouldn't boycott the show, and would appreciate them trying to power through, but I also understand if they took the position of not wanting to play if one of the 5 core members was unable. 
    agreed....I don't see that happening at all
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    For all we know Josh has been studying the past 2 years to fill in for anyone at any given time on any instrument. Even if he knows the top 50 most played songs in their arsenal. All he has to do is play the parts. No need to jam or solo for 5 minutes. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    For all we know Josh has been studying the past 2 years to fill in for anyone at any given time on any instrument. Even if he knows the top 50 most played songs in their arsenal. All he has to do is play the parts. No need to jam or solo for 5 minutes. 
    Maybe it was Josh who was sick, and he's such an integral part of the live show now that no one could fill in for him... 

I'm just sayin... 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Maybe it was Josh who was sick, and he's such an integral part of the live show now that no one could fill in for him... 

I'm just sayin... 
    bro…. Imagine traveling there and that’s the reason they canceled ? I’d be pissed honestly 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I'm just sayin... 
    bro…. Imagine traveling there and that’s the reason they canceled ? I’d be pissed honestly  
    Why else would the statement be so vague? This is clearly what happened. Josh has been groomed to replace everyone else in the band... but no one's been groomed to replace HIM. They should have planned for this.  

:D  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I'm just sayin... 
    Why else would the statement be so vague? This is clearly what happened. Josh has been groomed to replace everyone else in the band... but no one's been groomed to replace HIM. They should have planned for this.  

:lol:
    It's a hopeless situation...
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I'm just sayin... 

😂😂😂  
  • Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 204
    edited September 2023
    Perhaps a glimmer of hope (?).....when I looked at my ticketma$ter account on Monday, I don't recall seeing "date announced soon". 🤷🏻‍♂️    

Post edited by Dr. Matt on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    Dr. Matt said:
    Perhaps a glimmer of hope (?).....when I looked at my ticketma$ter account on Monday, I don't recall seeing "data announced soon". 🤷🏻‍♂️    

It said that for almost 2 years after the original 2020 Covid shows got postponed
  • "Soon."  Lol.  Coming, March 2024.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Dr. Matt said:
    Perhaps a glimmer of hope (?).....when I looked at my ticketma$ter account on Monday, I don't recall seeing "data announced soon". 🤷🏻‍♂️    

It said that for almost 2 years after the original 2020 Covid shows got postponed
    Ugh.  NM then.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Dr. Matt said:
    Perhaps a glimmer of hope (?).....when I looked at my ticketma$ter account on Monday, I don't recall seeing "date announced soon". 🤷🏻‍♂️    

... :o  
    "And the young, they can lose hope
    'Cause they can't see beyond today
    The wisdom that the old can't give away, hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone."
This discussion has been closed.