Pearl Jam Ruoff Music Center Postponement

Comments

• It's interesting to speculate. My guess is an imminent death in the family for someone & they had to say their goodbyes. 
    Good call. It’s entirely possible it wasn’t one of the band members who was ill, but someone close to them & things were dire. 
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
    Spurs14 said:
    It's Pearl Jam, not Eddie Vedder and friends.  I want to see and hear Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, and Matt or I'd be massively disappointed.
    Apologies to Boom and Josh.
    I 3rd this. Eddie is great, but it's not the same without them all. Each person brings a unique fire and sound. I can't imagine someone covering for one of them, it wouldn't be Pearl Jam.
    Yes it would... Ed IS PJ. You can take Ed out of PJ an he'll carry it wherever he goes. Any other guy an no... Nope. Uh-uh. They can't carry that weight individually, he can tho. 
    Strong disagree here… as talented a performer as Ed is, there’s a reason I could take or leave his solo shows but will travel thousands of miles for Pearl Jam. I could take a stand in for Matt or Boom for a night, but it wouldn’t be Pearl Jam w/ out Mike running around like a squirrel on cocaine or Jeff & Stone locked in on their grooves. 

Would I have boycotted one of the St Paul shows if I knew Josh was filling for one of those three? Of course not… but I would have been disappointed about missing that musician, and in my mind there would be an asterisk next to that show. 
    100% agree. PJ is the core 5 members to me. Would not be the same with a stand in for any of them. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Spurs14 said:
    It's Pearl Jam, not Eddie Vedder and friends.  I want to see and hear Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, and Matt or I'd be massively disappointed.
    I 3rd this. Eddie is great, but it's not the same without them all. Each person brings a unique fire and sound. I can't imagine someone covering for one of them, it wouldn't be Pearl Jam.
    Yes it would... Ed IS PJ. You can take Ed out of PJ an he'll carry it wherever he goes. Any other guy an no... Nope. Uh-uh. They can't carry that weight individually, he can tho. 
    Strong disagree here… as talented a performer as Ed is, there’s a reason I could take or leave his solo shows but will travel thousands of miles for Pearl Jam. I could take a stand in for Matt or Boom for a night, but it wouldn’t be Pearl Jam w/ out Mike running around like a squirrel on cocaine or Jeff & Stone locked in on their grooves. 

Would I have boycotted one of the St Paul shows if I knew Josh was filling for one of those three? Of course not… but I would have been disappointed about missing that musician, and in my mind there would be an asterisk next to that show. 
    I think the vast majority of us wouldn't notice musically if any of the members minus ed wasn't playing a specific night.  
    UNTRUE...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,521
    Ed is NOT PJ
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• I think there’s a large number of people who would miss Mike more than Eddie
  • kmcmanus said:
    I think there’s a large number of people who would miss Mike more than Eddie
    Well, maybe not more but just as much for sure.  My focal point is Mike most shows lol
  • For those deciding about FW plans, as data points only I went back to the Euro 2022 cancellation notices for Prague and AMS1.  Those are comparable to FW1 and FW2 in that they are the first two scheduled shows after the surprise cancellation show (Vienna, like Noblesville).  

For Prague cancellation notice was sent the day before the show.  For AMS1 it was the day of the show.  

The only other data point I can recall is that when Sacramento was cancelled (surprise cancellation) Vegas went down with it in the same newsflash.  I think that was 2 days notice for Vegas but am not positive.

It is ultimately still guesswork to know what to do.  An update tomorrow would not be an unreasonable thing to hope for, not that I expect one. 
    What’s a data point? 
    Here ya go Bud :)

data point (noun) - 
    1. An item of factual information derived from measurement or research. ....(Thanks RatherStarved)
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - East Troy, WI 09/03/2011
    Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, MN 09/02/2023
    United Center - Chicago, IL 09/07/23
    Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN 09/10/23
  • If Mike wasn't there, we would notice it on Black, Alive, and probably a few others. I'm sure the Jets won't miss Rodgers either.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    At the airport on my way to FW. Hoping for the best. 
  • Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 204
    edited September 2023
    If Mike wasn't there, we would notice it on Black, Alive, and probably a few others. I'm sure the Jets won't miss Rodgers either.

If Mike wasn't there, the rest of the guys could have pulled off a 2 1/2 hour free-form jazz exploration...in front of a festival crowd.
    Post edited by Dr. Matt on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • If Mike wasn't there, we would notice it on Black, Alive, and probably a few others. I'm sure the Jets won't miss Rodgers either.
    My first thought was this meant Eddie or Mike was sick cause while certainly not ideal, I thought Josh could fill in for the others and the band also already showed they would play with reinforcements.  

But who knows.  Doesn't matter I suppose.  Hope whoever it is gets well soon and the band can get back to the stage.  Such a great live experience and I want more.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • WhoAreWeWhoAreWe Ottawa CAN Posts: 31
    mcgruff10 said:
    Spurs14 said:

I think the vast majority of us wouldn't notice musically if any of the members minus ed wasn't playing a specific night.  
    As someone who attended both Oakland shows, I agree, technically you’re correct -  Matt’s absence wasn’t noticed musically. But I’m no musician and wouldn’t really tell if a beat was off ever so slightly. 

What IS significantly different is the setlist and the lack of any real deep cuts or gems. There’s only so much a stand-in can learn in a short amount of time, and don’t get me wrong, those shows were pretty great but seeing what they do/can play when all the boys are there, specially with this new arrangement, it doesn’t even compare. 

We fly out in a few hours, fingers crossed all goes well. 🤞🏼
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    WhoAreWe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Spurs14 said:

As someone who attended both Oakland shows, I agree, technically you’re correct -  Matt’s absence wasn’t noticed musically. But I’m no musician and wouldn’t really tell if a beat was off ever so slightly. 

What IS significantly different is the setlist and the lack of any real deep cuts or gems. There’s only so much a stand-in can learn in a short amount of time, and don’t get me wrong, those shows were pretty great but seeing what they do/can play when all the boys are there, specially with this new arrangement, it doesn’t even compare. 

I didn't even think of the deep cuts of gems. Good call. There would definitely be a difference if any of the members was absent. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    edited September 2023
    LukinFan said:
    WhoAreWe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Spurs14 said:

I didn't even think of the deep cuts of gems. Good call. There would definitely be a difference if any of the members was absent. 
    yeah and 10 repeats on Oak2....just 3 repeats in Chicago (Who ever, Evenflow, Alive)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    Save Who said:
    kmcmanus said:
    I think there’s a large number of people who would miss Mike more than Eddie
    Well, maybe not more but just as much for sure.  My focal point is Mike most shows lol
    Made me think, "On vocals tonight, Eddie Vedder, and to his right on focal point, Mike Mc-fucking-Cready! Watch and be amazed!"
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    If Mike wasn't there, we would notice it on Black, Alive, and probably a few others. I'm sure the Jets won't miss Rodgers either.
    Ouch! :lol:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • It's interesting to speculate. My guess is an imminent death in the family for someone & they had to say their goodbyes. 
    Kind of my thought as well. That would explain the "obviously it is serious" and "the Texas shows are still planned as scheduled" comments in their release.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • So I guess these FTW shows are still a go. Until we know for sure tomorrow afternoon 😂
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    WhoAreWe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Spurs14 said:

That first show was on fire, because the band seemed to be having so much fun watching the fill in drummers, and overcoming adversity.  Probably the best greatest hits type set I've ever seen from PJ.

The the 2nd night they changed up the setlist, and seemed to struggle more.  The novelty wore off a bit I guess.   Still great shows, glad I went, and glad they made every effort not to cancel them.

In regards to the overall thread.  I sort of figured Josh is there to be a stand in something goes sideways, but they don't want to cancel shows.    Unless it was Eddie or maybe Mike.  Replacing Eddie's vocal's would be the hardest thing to do, and replacing mccready's solo's would be 2nd hardest.
  • I never envisioned Josh as a stand in for anything other than some of Eddie’s guitar playing, and to add some extra vocals & percussions etc to help fill out the sound. 
  • Spurs14 said:
    No disrespect to Matt but the Oakland and Fresno shows were just fine and much better than cancelling would have been.  
    This. Was disappointed Matt wasn't there, but I loved the Oakland shows anyway.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• I never envisioned Josh as a stand in for anything other than some of Eddie’s guitar playing, and to add some extra vocals & percussions etc to help fill out the sound. 
    same...he's not there to step in for anyone
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

• JimmyV said:
    Aerosmith and Aaron Rodgers both postponed tours tonight. 
    Annnnd Aerosmith has already announced rescheduled dates
  • JimmyV said:
    I feel very badly for Aaron Rodgers.  He’s one of my favourite athletes of all time.  

That being said, the unfortunate development is the most Jet thing ever.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • RE4790RE4790 Posts: 801
    JimmyV said:

Via campsite reservations or something else?
  • Hurls15Hurls15 Posts: 161
    RE4790 said:
    JimmyV said:

Via campsite reservations or something else?
    Well played! 
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    edited September 2023
    I’m still bummed about this whole situation. I was so excited and pumped on my drive in cranking PJ and singing along in my car. Just happened to stop at a rest stop 80 miles outside of Indy when a buddy sent me the info. I had offered my extra ticket to a fellow fan so I was looking forward to meeting him and making a new friendship. It was starting out to be a beautiful day then, bam!!!

Im sure I’ll get over it 😂 and hopefully I can make the rescheduled date. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    I think our reaction would be “this sounds more like the album version than usual”.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,152
    Not sure if already posted, but Danny Clinch put out a get well soon PJ on FB. Maybe multiple
    members not well. He obviously didn’t mention anyone specifically. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
This discussion has been closed.