Show Lengths??

1235»

Comments

• mace1229 said:
    Jeff doesn't like touring . It was said in some threads before 
    I heard him say on one of the XM radio interviews that he gets physically sick to the stomach days before a tour. The thought of being gone from friends, family and loved ones makes him ill.

I've also heard him say they love playing live. But kind of hard to do one without the other. 
    That's really sad because I know that exact feeling and the thought of having to prolong it for a month or more must be horrific to do the things you love.
    I think more people should think about the human element before wanting more.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited September 2023
    Get_Right said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:
    You’ll see a 3+hour set if there’s not an opening act. Any show with an opener you can expect a 2-2:15 min set.

I think that has changed. A 3 hr set will be a rarity now. 
    The change is that they will always book an opener now

They have had lots of openers. I guess, without knowing, that Taylor Hawkins death had something to do with the shorter sets. 100% speculation.

Why would the death of Taylor have anything to do with how long Pearl Jam plays?

I've just assumed they are getting older, Ed's voice won't last as long and Matt probably gets tired on drums after 2 hours instead of 3 now. 

Check the timing. As I said 100% speculation. But the sets got shorter after Taylor died. MC was a good friend.
    That doesn’t mean anything. What does one have to do with the other? Nothing. That’s like blaming Biden on the shorter sets. Check the timing. They were 3+ hours under Trump, and barely over 2 hours under Biden. Must be his fault.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:
    You’ll see a 3+hour set if there’s not an opening act. Any show with an opener you can expect a 2-2:15 min set.

They have had lots of openers. I guess, without knowing, that Taylor Hawkins death had something to do with the shorter sets. 100% speculation.

Why would the death of Taylor have anything to do with how long Pearl Jam plays?

I've just assumed they are getting older, Ed's voice won't last as long and Matt probably gets tired on drums after 2 hours instead of 3 now. 

Check the timing. As I said 100% speculation. But the sets got shorter after Taylor died. MC was a good friend.
    That doesn’t mean anything. What does one have to do with the other? Nothing. That’s like blaming Biden on the shorter sets. Check the timing. They were 3+ hours under Trump, and barely over 2 hours under Biden. Must be his fault.
    I don’t think it’s outlandish to make that connection about shows getting shorter after Taylor Hawkins tragically passed. MC was quoted in a Rolling Stone article saying that Taylor Hawkins vented to him in the months before his passing about being spent and wanting to tour less but that foo fighters were booking more shows than ever. We’ll never know if that’s why but I don’t think anyone can definitively say that was one of the reasons for shorter sets or, conversely, whether it the two have nothing to do with each other. Personally, my gut says it might be part of it but that the band was likely thinking about going for shorter and tighter shows anyway.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,780
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

We will never know, but like I said, 100% speculation. And I am not speculating when I say politics have nothing to do with it. 
  • The band is getting older. At least two of them are in their 60s now. 

It really is that simple. 
    mace1229 said:
    I heard him say on one of the XM radio interviews that he gets physically sick to the stomach days before a tour. The thought of being gone from friends, family and loved ones makes him ill.

I've also heard him say they love playing live. But kind of hard to do one without the other. 
    That's really sad because I know that exact feeling and the thought of having to prolong it for a month or more must be horrific to do the things you love.
    That may be true, but I'm pretty sure they all spend more time with loved ones than almost all of us here. I may not be gone for weeks at a time, but I'm gone for 10 hours each day at work. 
    I'll take their schedule and pay over mine any day of the week.
  • Oh yes I understand 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,780
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That may be true, but I'm pretty sure they all spend more time with loved ones than almost all of us here. I may not be gone for weeks at a time, but I'm gone for 10 hours each day at work. 
    I'll take their schedule and pay over mine any day of the week.

I think we all would. Million dollars per night and 2M for a festival. Yes please. But we cannot sing or play like Ed.
  • Thing is money isn't everything and especially when you are worth 100 million.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,040
    edited September 2023
    I used to love traveling when I was younger... the older I get, the more I like sleeping in my own bed. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2023
    Having been to 4 shows of this new format (STL, Nashville, St. Paul 1&2) I will say this…

The band sounds great for sure. The downsides for me is now when Ed sorta rambles I feel like I just want more songs where I used to hang on every word. With the shorter sets I just want them to fire off a few in a row and keep the energy going. Second, it makes the set lists less fun. I know they’re mixing it up a lot still which is awesome but the formula doesn’t leave a whole lotta room to get songs they don’t play that often. Let’s say they play 24 songs. Around 4 off Gigaton plus 10 “hits” 5 of the big ones (BMan, Eflow) and 5 second tier ones (Wishlist, DTE) plus a closer. That only leaves around 9 songs at most to play around with and get something like Grievance, Comatose etc. I know they have to play Betterman and Even Flow almost every night but I used to not care as much because there were 6-8 more songs in the sets. This all makes the shows feel a little short for me. 

Anyway, I had a great time in St. Paul and looking forward to Indy on Sunday. The band is tight and the sets have been quite varied. I’m happy and appreciate they’re still together playing live and seem ti be having fun. 
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • I don't mind the shorter shows at all. Not a fan of the five-song sit-down set to open the show though. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I don't mind the shorter shows at all. Not a fan of the five-song sit-down set to open the show though. 
    I love this development because all my favorite songs are played there. 
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    How was Bono’s kids band as an opener?
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    edited September 2023
    Playing 4 slow songs to open gets us more of the gems we want, which are hard to work into the set without breaking the momentum.
    The "punch" is a little delayed, but its a good trade off, for me.
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
    I love this development because all my favorite songs are played there. 
    To each their own I guess. I'm the complete opposite. That's one of the great things about the band, something for everyone. 

My running joke for years is that I love Pearl Jam, but I'm not the biggest fan of Pearl Adult Contemporary (Just Breathe, Low Light, etc.). 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited September 2023
    Thing is money isn't everything and especially when you are worth 100 million.
    True. But even without the money, they probably spend more time at home than most of us do. I leave for work at 7:00 and get home at 4:30, 5 days a week. I'm not saying we deserve more shows or anything, but just responding to the comment we should have more human empathy. I think they've got it pretty good. They can decide to play less and that's fine, but I don't think I need to empathize with their schedule. Year 2000 I might agree with that though, but not in the last 10 years.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    CROJAM95 said:
    My wife LOVES these guys.  we saw them at The Showbox here in Seattle a few months ago, and i have to admit they put on a very good show.  If your going to multiple shows this tour, i'd recomend getting there early to catch them at least once.
  • CROJAM95 said:
    They were pretty good Tuesday. 
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    The band is getting older. At least two of them are in their 60s now. 

It really is that simple. 

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • CROJAM95 said:
    Wait a sec that's actually Bono's kid? I was joking with my GF during their set that he was doing a pretty good Bono impression.
  • mikeliska said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Wait a sec that's actually Bono's kid? I was joking with my GF during their set that he was doing a pretty good Bono impression.
    Elijah Hewson himself
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    CM189191 said:
    3 shows
    60 different songs played
    with a handful a repeats each night

6 shows left
    Will they keep this up through the whole tour?

Shows: 4
    Different songs: 72
    I don't mind the shorter shows at all. Not a fan of the five-song sit-down set to open the show though. 
    Would be fun if it was a one-off thing. But to be doing it every show I agree.
    I'm also guessing one or more of the members can't/doesn't want to do longer shows and this is one way to stretch it out over 2 hours still. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    3 shows
    60 different songs played
    with a handful a repeats each night

6 shows left
    Will they keep this up through the whole tour?

Shows: 4
    Different songs: 72

That is awesome!! Their last four 2022 Canadian shows they played 65 different songs.