Show Lengths??

Comments

• I imagine the peak must have been 1995 playing with Neil Young. 

Occam's razor people.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,780
    Get_Right said:
    You'll never convince me that shorter set lists are better, and their peak for me will always be 2013 - 2016... having said that, I had zero problems w/ 24 songs each night in St Paul. The shows were awesome and if shorter sets means they can tour more in the coming years, I'm all for it. 

Nah the peak was 1998-2003. Some might say it was earlier. Just glad they still play.

The shows I saw between '98 & '00 must have been aberrations then, because they were nothing compared to what I saw them do between '13 & '16. 

A bit more polished and organized yes. But the 2000 and 2003 tours were my favorites. And to be fair, they blew me away again in Camden 2022.
  • You’ll see a 3+hour set if there’s not an opening act. Any show with an opener you can expect a 2-2:15 min set.
    You’ll see a 3+hour set if there’s not an opening act. Any show with an opener you can expect a 2-2:15 min set.

I think that has changed. A 3 hr set will be a rarity now. 
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    You'll never convince me that shorter set lists are better, and their peak for me will always be 2013 - 2016... having said that, I had zero problems w/ 24 songs each night in St Paul. The shows were awesome and if shorter sets means they can tour more in the coming years, I'm all for it. 

Nah the peak was 1998-2003. Some might say it was earlier. Just glad they still play.

The shows I saw between '98 & '00 must have been aberrations then, because they were nothing compared to what I saw them do between '13 & '16. 

A bit more polished and organized yes. But the 2000 and 2003 tours were my favorites. And to be fair, they blew me away again in Camden 2022.
    Hoping Indy is the Camden of 2023!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    You’ll see a 3+hour set if there’s not an opening act. Any show with an opener you can expect a 2-2:15 min set.
    They have had plenty of openers in the LB tour and still did 3hrs. Openers is not the issue imo
  • Get_Right said:

The change is that they will always book an opener now
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

They have had lots of openers. I guess, without knowing, that Taylor Hawkins death had something to do with the shorter sets. 100% speculation.

• Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

More polished, and organized, yes, and also better. There's no comparing what I saw 10 years ago with what I saw in the era you mentioned. 

To each his own, It's all subjective of course, but I'll take a 2013 show over pretty much any other year I've seen them.

& yeah, the two shows in St Paul last week did nothing to dissuade me from trying to see them again. The show may only be 75% as long as what I considered to be their peak, but they were fantastic nonetheless. 

(& In fairness, they might have been a better live act in '92 or '94, I have no frame of reference... '98 was the first time I saw them) 
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

More polished, and organized, yes, and also better. There's no comparing what I saw 10 years ago with what I saw in the era you mentioned. 

To each his own, It's all subjective of course, but I'll take a 2013 show over pretty much any other year I've seen them.

& yeah, the two shows in St Paul last week did nothing to dissuade me from trying to see them again. The show may only be 75% as long as what I considered to be their peak, but they were fantastic nonetheless. 

(& In fairness, they might have been a better live act in '92 or '94, I have no frame of reference... '98 was the first time I saw them) 

All good. It's a rock concert! Jump around and have fun!
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

All good. It's a rock concert! Jump around and have fun!
    Exactly... it's all subjective. I'm just grateful they're still doing it & I can still see them. 
  • Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

They have had lots of openers. I guess, without knowing, that Taylor Hawkins death had something to do with the shorter sets. 100% speculation.

I'm interested to hear more, that's a random take.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

Why would the death of Taylor have anything to do with how long Pearl Jam plays?

I've just assumed they are getting older, Ed's voice won't last as long and Matt probably gets tired on drums after 2 hours instead of 3 now. 
  • Not a thing to do with anyone dying 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    edited September 2023
    2013-2016? 

:lol:
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • PJammin' said:
    2013-2016? 

:lol:
    That’s right… Hartford ‘13, Brooklyn 2 ‘13, Denver ‘14, the 2 Philly shows & 2nd Fenway in ‘16… those were the best of the 22 shows I’ve seen them play from ‘98 - ‘23. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    edited September 2023
    Would imagine:

- Someone or some in the band do not "completely adore" touring to begin with, so they want to have a smoother schedule when being "forced" to tour.

- Feeling more spent after a show than when they were younger

- Eddie loosing his voice to the level of them having to cancel a show in 2018 and it affecting following shows. 

I imagine it was Eddie who threw more songs in making the shows longer and longer. So don't think he would shorten shows, unless something like the 2018-thing plays in. And then something similiar happened again in 2022 in Paris. When the shape of his voice affects the touring machine to that degree.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    Wuz at most of those xcep 1st philly. Darn good time. Railed NYC 2. Hartford (save you, aint talking bout love, fu.in up) behind the stage loudest crowd. Denver of the earth...  Played catch with Eddie at fenway 2. Great show resume. The concert gods have been great to me.
  • Jeff doesn't like touring . It was said in some threads before 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,040
    edited September 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Wuz at most of those xcep 1st philly. Darn good time. Railed NYC 2. Hartford (save you, aint talking bout love, fu.in up) behind the stage loudest crowd. Denver of the earth...  Played catch with Eddie at fenway 2. Great show resume. The concert gods have been great to me.
    Philly 1 was my birthday & I got In My Tree... It's almost as if they knew. & that was you playing catch w/ Eddie @ Fenway? Good on you, that's a fun bragging point right there! 

Concert Gods have been good to a lot of us... as has this band. I'm glad they're still going and hopefully there are still (many) more memories to be made. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Jeff doesn't like touring . It was said in some threads before 
    I heard him say on one of the XM radio interviews that he gets physically sick to the stomach days before a tour. The thought of being gone from friends, family and loved ones makes him ill.

I've also heard him say they love playing live. But kind of hard to do one without the other. 
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

Why would the death of Taylor have anything to do with how long Pearl Jam plays?

I've just assumed they are getting older, Ed's voice won't last as long and Matt probably gets tired on drums after 2 hours instead of 3 now. 

Check the timing. As I said 100% speculation. But the sets got shorter after Taylor died. MC was a good friend.
    mikeliska said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

Not random at all. Check the timing. Again 100% speculation.

• Get_Right said:
    mikeliska said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

Correlation =/= causation
    Get_Right said:
    mikeliska said:
    Get_Right said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Get_Right said:

Correlation =/= causation

I will rely on my European friends for data correlation. :)
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    edited September 2023
    the sets got shorter after the 2019-2021 hiatus when they hadn’t been on the road since ‘18. Remember the ‘21 SHN & Ohana sets were beforehand. We thought at the time it was just because they were festival sets but we know more now. They announced the ‘22 shows a couple weeks before he passed, I’d imagine by that point in the planning stage they had discussed format already. The shorter sets seem designed to specifically protect Ed & Matt but I don’t think Taylor prompted it, even if it made them more confident it was the right decision.
    Post edited by kmcmanus on
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,467
    I am just grateful they are still performing live and sounding amazing. 
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    I don’t mind the shorter sets. Like above, I’m just happy they are still playing together. You can’t expect Matt and Ed to last with 30+ song sets as they keep getting up there in age. I mean, how many of you guys could do it? 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • I don't need to see another 3-hour show as long as I live. I'll take it comes, but I've found myself enjoying the tighter sets lately. By the time we pass the two-hour mark, I'm kind of spent. I obviously wouldn't complain if the longer sets magically return, but I'm not missing the extra 30 minutes at all. Especially since they were often filled up with extra covers. 

The last 3-hour gig I saw included Masters of War, I Am A Patriot, I Believe in Miracles, Comfortably Numb, Surrender, and Baba O. I love all those songs, but don't necessarily need to hear them all at once. 

Also, ya know, 2 1/2 hours is a still a long show by accepted industry standards.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • I can only speak for myself - and I'm not as experienced in PJ shows as many - but I've been enjoying this run as much as some of the 30+ sets I saw in the mid 2010s. I think there's more that goes into making a 'great' show than just the length of the set - song choice, the crowd etc.