Show Lengths??

Comments

• KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,539
    I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    You can almost predict a set from RHCP at this point. There is an "official tour" playlist on the RHCP Spotify from the 22-23 tour to this point with every song they have performed. a total of 37 songs across 98 shows. 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,428
    Kwieneke said:
    I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    You can almost predict a set from RHCP at this point. There is an "official tour" playlist on the RHCP Spotify from the 22-23 tour to this point with every song they have performed. a total of 37 songs across 98 shows. 
    I'm not sure that PJ is much different now though are they?

I get it though....lots of songs to remember and if you don't practice them all often enough shit just doesn't hold together
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,539
    Kwieneke said:

I get it though....lots of songs to remember and if you don't practice them all often enough shit just doesn't hold together
    According to the PJStatsTracker App (which compiles setlists for PJ) they played 102 different PJ songs, and 48 unique covers across 33 shows in 2022. For covers, they do include tags, such as Cant get no Satisfaction which goes on Who ever Said
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

According to the PJStatsTracker App (which compiles setlists for PJ) they played 102 different PJ songs, and 48 unique covers across 33 shows in 2022. For covers, they do include tags, such as Cant get no Satisfaction which goes on Who ever Said
    That actually surprises me they played that many Pearl Jam songs last year. 

I wonder what the count will be this year with only 9 shows. Hopefully with the 2 shows in most cities they mix it up a lot. 
  • JadlerJadler Posts: 761
    demetrios said:
    Jadler said:
    I’m pretty sure Stone was on Sirius XM after the tour last year for a “Year in Review” interview saying these show lengths/ number of songs are here to stay for the most part.  I’m paraphrasing, but basically “makes for a much better product, less burn-out and physical strain.” Didn’t sound like they will be going to a cookie cutter setlist anytime soon though which is great news. Wish I could find the clip! 

This one? 2022 Year In Review SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio December 23rd 2022

Jonathan Cohen talks about the set list length @ the 79th mark. Don't remember Stone saying anything about show lengths / number of songs.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking of, but you’re right no mention from Stone in this. Maybe I dreamt that LOL. Or maybe it was in another interview he did after the tour? Oh well. Great find here, I’ll keep searching. Thx!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    Jadler said:
    demetrios said:
    Jadler said:
    I’m pretty sure Stone was on Sirius XM after the tour last year for a “Year in Review” interview saying these show lengths/ number of songs are here to stay for the most part.  I’m paraphrasing, but basically “makes for a much better product, less burn-out and physical strain.” Didn’t sound like they will be going to a cookie cutter setlist anytime soon though which is great news. Wish I could find the clip! 

This one? 2022 Year In Review SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio December 23rd 2022

Jonathan Cohen talks about the set list length @ the 79th mark. Don't remember Stone saying anything about show lengths / number of songs.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking of, but you’re right no mention from Stone in this. Maybe I dreamt that LOL. Or maybe it was in another interview he did after the tour? Oh well. Great find here, I’ll keep searching. Thx!

No problemo. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,867
    It’s not the length, it’s the gurth
  • incognitonyincognitony Posts: 149
    They have ED though.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,867
    They have ED though.
    That’s a great reply. Nice!! Haha 
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    This tour is perfect for NO REPEATS. 

Metallica is playing 2 nights in every city, no repeats, through next year. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    I’ve seen them 30 times, they’re all old af and tired and so am I. Greatest Hits only going forward, make some new fans. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    This tour is perfect for NO REPEATS. 

Metallica is playing 2 nights in every city, no repeats, through next year. 

Yah, but they'll probably play the same two setlists in every city.   So technically it could be less variety than a PJ tour.
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    I’ve seen them 30 times, they’re all old af and tired and so am I. Greatest Hits only going forward, make some new fans. 
    You don’t have to play the hits to get new fans. That’s what YouTube and Spotify playlists are for 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,244
    You don’t have to play the hits to get new fans. That’s what YouTube and Spotify playlists are for 
    They have enough hits to not play any repeats two nights in the same city. 
  • I’ve seen them 30 times, they’re all old af and tired and so am I. Greatest Hits only going forward, make some new fans. 
    They have enough hits to not play any repeats two nights in the same city. 
    Yup. I think the only repeat in HP 1 and 2 last year was Alive, and those shows were not exactly full of obscurities.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    It is what it is now. 
    As long as it's quality it doesn't matter 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    I think we got spoiled for years with the 3+ hour shows. I've been to a ton of concerts and nobody plays that long. I have enjoyed it while it lasted though.
    The older they get, I expect for them to be around 2 hours and 15 minutes and 2 hours and 30 minutes depending on the tour schedule, but we can be sure that it's still going to be different every night and it's still going to rock!
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Douglas12373Douglas12373 Posts: 221
    I think its fair to expect that shows will be 2-2 1/4 hrs, and cities with two shows will get very diverse setlists
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,428
    edited May 2023
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

I saw four shows in 2022....57 different songs so yeah...not really close I guess

It is interesting that by the Louisville show (festival) I only got 5 songs that I had not seen yet...Off he Goes, In Hiding, Lukin, Garden, Purple Rain

Two of those shows were at Oakland, night two had 10 repeats from night one but that was likely related to not having Matt

Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    I loved the St. Louis show last year and it was the shortest show I've seen them play since Lolla in 07 and I loved it. You look at that St. Louis setlist and it's bonkers weird. The songs not played (Evolution, Jeremy, Given, Daughter, Better Man, Porch, Rearviewmirror) with songs like Glorified G, Dissident, Breath, SOLAT, Life Wasted, Once, Sad, Of the Girl & I am Mine all in the same set. That's fun. Yeah, heavy Ten, light on Gigaton but I'll take that set and the surprise of what I got to hear together as opposed to what I didn't. And they were tight. Tightest I've seen them in a long time. So if it's that show length I'm cool with it.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    Everyone is worried about the length of the shows....what about the width?

• smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Honestly, as the setlists were coming in, I was hugely disappointed.  I get it, we are all getting older, but it was such a drastic difference but then again, it's been a long 3+ years from 2018 shows.  The cancellations were also a huge bummer.  Then I saw them at Camden, and it changed my opinion.  I had an absolute blast and didn't feel that it was any less amazing.  If 25 songs is what we get, I'll take that over no shows at all. 

I do think there was a conscious decision after Taylor Hawkins (as well as Cornell's) that maybe we don't have to figuratively kill ourselves every night as it may have contributed to literal death. 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    People are definitely traveling for their white whales, to finish off albums, etc.

There's no way people would travel if it was a Taylor Swift setup. People travel for her shows, but only because she's the current "Big Thing." IIRC, out of her two "secret songs" one is predictable, as it's off a specific album. 

It'd be like if PJ did 35 songs, but song 28 was guaranteed to be off Ten, song 29 was a wildcard and the other 33 were the same as every other night.

You could go to any site that has the tour setlist and follow along. I've done that with some bands that maybe I know the radio hits and I don't really like knowing what songs are coming...even though those bands are gonna play the songs I know.

My theory is the Swifties are swallowing it up because:
    They're largely women who scream for anything and everything Taylor. (I'm not saying all women are like that...but yeah, it's a pop sensation thing. BTS is the same way. "OMG! SHE SAID THE WORD MIDNIGHT! IT MEANS SOMETHANNGGGGG!?!??") Her song that mentions whatever date was played on that date and they acted like it was a big shock.

Compare that to PJ fans who are much more mellow. "Oh, they covered Mother Love Bone in Ft. Worth? Of course they did."

They're kids who don't need different setlists every night and it might even cause jealousy/drama if a certain city got a specific song whereas someone's cousin in another city didn't.

She's also created one hell of a hype machine. Jimmy Fallon's replay the other night was of visit. Jimmy was tiptoeing around the fact she hadn't toured in a while. TS agreed and had a "hmmm, maybe I should tour" and her fans went ape. PJ fans would be like "oh, there's gonna be a tour soon? Well, we already know the dates and cities."

With that said, pop music almost *has* to be the same every night with the theatrical portion (pre-recorded videos, costume changes, backup dancers). Since Pearl Jam really just has the guys on stage without pyro, drones, videos every 4-5 songs, they can not only mix it up every night, but also call an audible 45 minutes after the third song got played.

PJ doesn't need the same setlists every night.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took Metallica 40 years to figure it out.

Still, a 3 and a half hour 45 song set is damn impressive. A joy to be young. Too bad youth is wasted on the young. Oh…and we are never ever getting back together.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    PJNB said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

That actually surprises me they played that many Pearl Jam songs last year. 

I wonder what the count will be this year with only 9 shows. Hopefully with the 2 shows in most cities they mix it up a lot. 
    That’s what I’m thinking.  St Paul, Fortworth and Austin wouldn’t normally get multiple shows.  IMP each show get 24-26 with 0-2 repeats and minimum covers 

Take Hamilton and Toronto 2022 as the example.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,157
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Of course it would be easier. They have created this great formula however over the span of the last 30 plus years and have developed a following because of it. 

If they did a Foo Fighters type set every night they would not sell nearly as many tickets as they do right now.
    Well they have pushed it towards Foo Fighters rigidness. Especially last Euro tour with songs being cut but Ten taking up the same room. 
    Shorter shows means the hits still get played and the "extra" songs will get less rotation. 
    In what way is that not a push ” towards Foo Fighters rigidness”. That is what it is. 

I am not saying Pearl Jam is Foo Fighters. 
    We are talking copy and paste sets every night with copy and paste stories. PJ is not moving in that direction even with the changes last year. 

wait...the stories are the same?
    Yup. Everything that I hear from FF attendees is that it's all the same. Someone on the boards described it as every band member having a specific part to play for the duration of a tour. Occasionally the setlist will switch up, but only by a few songs. I wanted to see the Foos live again until I heard about that. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    We saw the Foo at the first Global Citizen festival in 2011 or 2012, and afterwards I honestly forgot I had ever seen them. Was in the midst of a discussion years later about bands we had never seen when it clicked that I had seen them. Make of that what you will. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    edited May 2023
    The flip side is no angst or fomo. You get what you expect, if you really like it you go again. Then you're done.

I suffer greatly with the PJ fomo, but the repeated chance of the sublime, that's the PJ experience. Wouldn't trade it!
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    People are definitely traveling for their white whales, to finish off albums, etc.

There's no way people would travel if it was a Taylor Swift setup. People travel for her shows, but only because she's the current "Big Thing." IIRC, out of her two "secret songs" one is predictable, as it's off a specific album. 

It'd be like if PJ did 35 songs, but song 28 was guaranteed to be off Ten, song 29 was a wildcard and the other 33 were the same as every other night.

You could go to any site that has the tour setlist and follow along. I've done that with some bands that maybe I know the radio hits and I don't really like knowing what songs are coming...even though those bands are gonna play the songs I know.

My theory is the Swifties are swallowing it up because:
    They're largely women who scream for anything and everything Taylor. (I'm not saying all women are like that...but yeah, it's a pop sensation thing. BTS is the same way. "OMG! SHE SAID THE WORD MIDNIGHT! IT MEANS SOMETHANNGGGGG!?!??") Her song that mentions whatever date was played on that date and they acted like it was a big shock.

Compare that to PJ fans who are much more mellow. "Oh, they covered Mother Love Bone in Ft. Worth? Of course they did."

They're kids who don't need different setlists every night and it might even cause jealousy/drama if a certain city got a specific song whereas someone's cousin in another city didn't.

She's also created one hell of a hype machine. Jimmy Fallon's replay the other night was of visit. Jimmy was tiptoeing around the fact she hadn't toured in a while. TS agreed and had a "hmmm, maybe I should tour" and her fans went ape. PJ fans would be like "oh, there's gonna be a tour soon? Well, we already know the dates and cities."

With that said, pop music almost *has* to be the same every night with the theatrical portion (pre-recorded videos, costume changes, backup dancers). Since Pearl Jam really just has the guys on stage without pyro, drones, videos every 4-5 songs, they can not only mix it up every night, but also call an audible 45 minutes after the third song got played.

PJ doesn't need the same setlists every night.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took Metallica 40 years to figure it out.
    I think you are mischaracterizing the Taylor Swift fan base. People have been saying her fans are teenage girls since her first album. That album came out 17 years ago. The teenage girls of 2006 are grown women now. (Sure, she has added new fans along the way, and some of her fans now are indeed teenage girls.) And, more to the point, her audience is much more diverse than you realize, as it would have to be to be as popular as she is. There are plenty of older women and, yes, men who are fans of Taylor Swift. I'm one of them (age 47, male) and I have plenty of demographically similar friends who are also fans. Those fans are "swallowing it up" because they're paying a lot of money and getting their money's worth. The vast majority of those fans are seeing her exactly once-- as are the majority of fans of all acts, including Pearl Jam-- and they don't care what she played at the last show or will play at the next show. The screaming "Swifties" you're talking about who parse every statement and Easter egg like Talmudic scholars are a minority of the fans who are selling out all these shows and buying the amazing number of records she sells.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • It is what it is now. 

Ultimately that's my sentiment too...

On a funny note, speaking of quality - I wanted to start a live pearl jam supermix on my spotify, creating a dream setlist with all the best versions of the songs from the bootlegs that are available there. I started with Hard to Imagine, and from the 7 or 8 live versions on there, they mess it up every single time lol The dangers of playing a deep cut on the fly! Of course this is the exception, not the norm - just thought it was funny that the first track i chose was problematic. Want a crazy good Mike solo for Black? Dallas 2000 :) 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    It is what it is now. 

Exactly.