Comments

• TinaETinaE Posts: 1,480
    It is what it is now. 
    As long as it's quality it doesn't matter 
    I totally agree
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • I think it's kinda depressing to see the trajectory of the concert experience (show length and setlist structure) and merch (saturation and cost) crossing paths in opposite directions (down vs. up). 
    1993 - Dallas ~~~ 1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin ~~~ 1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach ~~~ 2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco ~~~ 2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II ~~~ 2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis ~~~ 2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton ~~~ 2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu ~~~ 2008 - MSG I & II ~~~ 2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV ~~~ 2010 - Kansas City | St Louis ~~~ 2011 - PJ20 I & II ~~~ 2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC ~~~ 2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver ~~~ 2022 - OKC ~~~ 2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II ~~~ 2024 - Seattle I & II
    [80]
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    edited September 2023
    Not an expert, but if a band is playing 25 songs a night, I'm pretty sure they could do five more. Going from 33-40 songs to about 25 is like a 25% reduction. 

The shows are still enjoyed by me, but I guess I figured they would dial it down at a slower rate, like maybe in five years it would be down to 25 songs. Let hope they don't go any lower.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    Definitely the way it is now.  Our daughter and her friends went to the Taylor Swift concert and all she kept saying was "I wonder what the surprise song is going to be?"  Couldn't imagine going to a Pearl Jam show and knowing what 99% of the songs I was going to hear were going to be.  That's the greatest thing about their tours - it's still exciting to log on and see the final set list on the fanview threads the day after shows, LOL....
    Yeah there would definitely always need to be some wildcard songs...I just got the bug of seeing them live last year after a lengthy hiatus for me, so i'm just wishing for more shows haha. It's wild that we picked Pearl Jam as our favorite band, and they're still touring 32+ years later. We got lucky and picked a special band. 
    I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    Definitely the way it is now.  Our daughter and her friends went to the Taylor Swift concert and all she kept saying was "I wonder what the surprise song is going to be?"  Couldn't imagine going to a Pearl Jam show and knowing what 99% of the songs I was going to hear were going to be.  That's the greatest thing about their tours - it's still exciting to log on and see the final set list on the fanview threads the day after shows, LOL....
    Yeah there would definitely always need to be some wildcard songs...I just got the bug of seeing them live last year after a lengthy hiatus for me, so i'm just wishing for more shows haha. It's wild that we picked Pearl Jam as our favorite band, and they're still touring 32+ years later. We got lucky and picked a special band. 

I LOVE Pearl Jam, they have been my favorite band off and on since they first came out, but I also saw Grateful Dead 169 times, they toured for 30+ years, played LONG shows and changed their set every show, I've seen Phish 130+ times, they've played 30+ years, they play LONG shows and change their set list EVERY show, Pearl Jam is just added to the list for me.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    The confusing thing to me is in 2006 most shows were around the 2 hour 15 minute mark they are at now. (Approximately)

They are somehow playing 4 to 5 less songs in the same of amount of time.  

Would like to see the tempo increase and shorter solos to get back to having the 2nd encore with 4 more songs. 

The length isn't the issue it's the set list management that is suffering. Too many lengthy solos and 7 minute songs. 
  • Not an expert, but if a band is playing 25 songs a night, I'm pretty sure they could do five more. Going from 33-40 songs to about 25 is like a 25% reduction. 

The shows are still enjoyed by me, but I guess I figured they would dial it down at a slower rate, like maybe in five years it would be down to 25 songs. Let hope they don't go any lower.
    Matt did an interview somewhere where he said he remembers being at the 25-26 song point and being completely spent and realizing they still had 6-8 songs on the setlist.  Not saying it was all him, but I assume as a band they felt they really didn't need to play that long every night. Sucks for fans like us, but I bet a lot of casuals get to the 2 hour mark and are ready to call it a night.  
  • The confusing thing to me is in 2006 most shows were around the 2 hour 15 minute mark they are at now. (Approximately)

That is a result of Eddie talking/telling more stories.

I remember going to the San Diego show last year and someone clocked Eddie's total talking/story time at something like 20+ mins.
  • For sure ed talks a lot and slow. I used to think it made the show . But now I think there is no time for it. . Allow for it and be on stage longer . simple 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    He was VERY talkative at the MN shows. Lost the crowd a few times with the rambling.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Of course some of the taking is long & ramble-y on purpose so the other guys can catch their breath…
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    kmcmanus said:
    Of course some of the taking is long & ramble-y on purpose so the other guys can catch their breath…
    He needs to catch his breath as well. At one point he was breathing pretty hard on Saturday.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    i love the Ed stories. i do think one of the benefits of a shorter show is that the songs are now played at the "correct" tempos as opposed to years past when they sped everything up like the Ramones. i hope to get a slightly longer show in Austin since it's the last shows of the tour. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    Habit4me said:
    The confusing thing to me is in 2006 most shows were around the 2 hour 15 minute mark they are at now. (Approximately)

I remember going to the San Diego show last year and someone clocked Eddie's total talking/story time at something like 20+ mins.
    They're also playing the songs at album pace again instead of turbo. It's much more enjoyable to hear Corduroy and Given to Fly when they're not rushed.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    tbergs said:
    Habit4me said:

They're also playing the songs at album pace again instead of turbo. It's much more enjoyable to hear Corduroy and Given to Fly when they're not rushed.
    I disagree here. Album pace is boring and slow to me. I'm a rocker not an adult contemporary slo jam guy
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    Not an expert, but if a band is playing 25 songs a night, I'm pretty sure they could do five more. Going from 33-40 songs to about 25 is like a 25% reduction. 

Shows with 33 or more songs were the exception, not the norm. I think the number of shows with 36 or more songs can be counted on one hand. Maybe two.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    tbergs said:
    Habit4me said:

I disagree here. Album pace is boring and slow to me. I'm a rocker not an adult contemporary slo jam guy
    Meh, I'll take quality over speed and quantity. Don't get me wrong,  I want them to play 35 songs, quality is going to be lacking unless they do another full acoustic set. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • The confusing thing to me is in 2006 most shows were around the 2 hour 15 minute mark they are at now. (Approximately)

Would like to see the tempo increase and shorter solos to get back to having the 2nd encore with 4 more songs. 

The length isn't the issue it's the set list management that is suffering. Too many lengthy solos and 7 minute songs. 
    Have you heard State of Love and trust from Milan 2006?

Let's not go back to that
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    edited September 2023
    kmcmanus said:
    Of course some of the taking is long & ramble-y on purpose so the other guys can catch their breath…
    Why do people, like you, say it's so the other members can catch a breath -- and not that it's for himself. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tbergs said:
    Habit4me said:

What on Ten is adult contemporary slo jam and not "rock"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,780
    Just enjoy the rock concert. 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    Get_Right said:
    Bingo, there's a lot of 'expert' opinion on what the band should and shouldn't do these days. They know the show they want to play and people are turning up in their droves to see it. I dare say 32 years into their touring lives they have pretty much got a good formula by this stage. 

Roll on 2024, I'll take whatever I can get
    pdalowsky said:
    Get_Right said:
    Bingo, there's a lot of 'expert' opinion on what the band should and shouldn't do these days. They know the show they want to play and people are turning up in their droves to see it. I dare say 32 years into their touring lives they have pretty much got a good formula by this stage. 

Roll on 2024, I'll take whatever I can get

Every time I start to think they mail it in, I see a show like Camden. I keep saying it, but when Ed and the band are playing live, there is really no other place on the planet I would rather be.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    Enjoy them while they are here. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    3 shows
    60 different songs played
    with a handful a repeats each night

6 shows left
    Will they keep this up through the whole tour?

• kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    edited September 2023
    kmcmanus said:
    Why do people, like you, say it's so the other members can catch a breath -- and not that it's for himself. 
    Because we all know it’s for him too? I never said it wasn’t him, I said it’s not only him.
    Also, ”people like you” is an interesting (and very assumptive) statement from a person who’s never met me.
    Post edited by kmcmanus on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,040
    edited September 2023
    You'll never convince me that shorter set lists are better, and their peak for me will always be 2013 - 2016... having said that, I had zero problems w/ 24 songs each night in St Paul. The shows were awesome and if shorter sets means they can tour more in the coming years, I'm all for it. 
  • Last nights show length was perfect.
  • Yeah it was.  Maybe it's because it was a Tuesday night after a long weekend and maybe it's because I'm getting old but 2:30 and getting out before midnight was great.  Still a little slow this morning, however.
    You'll never convince me that shorter set lists are better, and their peak for me will always be 2013 - 2016... having said that, I had zero problems w/ 24 songs each night in St Paul. The shows were awesome and if shorter sets means they can tour more in the coming years, I'm all for it. 

Nah the peak was 1998-2003. Some might say it was earlier. Just glad they still play.

• Get_Right said:

Nah the peak was 1998-2003. Some might say it was earlier. Just glad they still play.

The shows I saw between '98 & '00 must have been aberrations then, because they were nothing compared to what I saw them do between '13 & '16.