Show Lengths??

Do you think the 2 hour show lengths are the norm now or will they get back to the 30 plus songs and close to 3 hour shows?

Comments

• 24 song average (give or take a few depending) about 2 1/2 hr sets.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,150
    I would go in expecting 2:15 and consider anything above that a bonus
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    I'm guessing they'll bump it up slightly to 24-26 songs a night. Much shorter tour this go around than in 2022, when they had three legs. Either way, I would look at this tour as telling in terms of what we can expect on a go-forward basis - whether the shortened sets are here to stay or whether 2022 was just a one-off.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    Since they are still having an opening act, I'd say 24 songs will probably be the average. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I think we are more likely to see sets similar to 2022 than we are 2013-2018. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,127
    I think we get up to 27-28 songs this tour. The only back to back is Austin, with 2 days off between cities. I’ll be a little disappointed if it’s still 22-24 songs.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    I think we get up to 27-28 songs this tour. The only back to back is Austin, with 2 days off between cities. I’ll be a little disappointed if it’s still 22-24 songs.
    Same here. It makes no sense to me to have 22 songs a show and still have a day off between cities. They are adding a week to this tour  with the days off they have chosen. 
    I hope you guys are right...but I worry the days off are about merch sales. 

• I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,726
    I would prefer the tours we are getting 100%.  No interest in the expense and extensive travel for the same set. 
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,726
    I would argue that with the shorter sets they should be even more varied if sticking with the short run format. 
    edited May 2023
    I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    Of course it would be easier. They have created this great formula however over the span of the last 30 plus years and have developed a following because of it. 

If they did a Foo Fighters type set every night they would not sell nearly as many tickets as they do right now.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    PJNB said:
    I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    Of course it would be easier. They have created this great formula however over the span of the last 30 plus years and have developed a following because of it. 

If they did a Foo Fighters type set every night they would not sell nearly as many tickets as they do right now.
    Well they have pushed it towards Foo Fighters rigidness. Especially last Euro tour with songs being cut but Ten taking up the same room. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PJNB said:

Well they have pushed it towards Foo Fighters rigidness. Especially last Euro tour with songs being cut but Ten taking up the same room. 
    Shorter shows means the hits still get played and the "extra" songs will get less rotation. 

Last years tour compares nothing to the Foo Fighters setlist imo. Not even close. It is the step in that direction with song length but thats it. 
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Shorter shows means the hits still get played and the "extra" songs will get less rotation. 

Last years tour compares nothing to the Foo Fighters setlist imo. Not even close. It is the step in that direction with song length but thats it. 
    Yeah I figured most hardcore fans would have the same argument :) I'm all about varied setlists, but if a "Foo Fighters" model would happen, and they would show up close to home a few more times a year, that also sounds pretty damn good. Remember - most people have only seen pearl jam once or twice in their life. My show numbers are lightweight for this message board, but i've seen PJ way more times than any of my friends or family. Smaller packed venues? Sign me up (although it would be a ticketing nightmare haha). Again - i know I have the wrong audience for this suggestion...

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,572
    I’m nowhere near the show count of others but I just listened to the Toronto 2022 show the other day (I was there), and I really felt that I got my money’s worth both live and recorded.

As has been said the fanbase has been essentially conditioned to expect close to 3 hour shows so maybe it’s us that need to adjust our expectations? If “shorter” shows is what the band needs to do to keep touring I’m fine with that but can see where others might feel some degree of disappointment.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • devonfzdevonfz Posts: 166
    Definitely that was the biggest complaint last year not the length of the shows, but there was a ton of similarity between all the sets very little variety maybe one or two surprises a night I personally don’t care if they play for an hour and a half as long as it’s a bunch of different songs I just don’t need to hear porch is the encore and alive is the closer every night and then they were doing even Flo corduroy given to fly elderly daughter almost every night. They literally did not play anything off no code and binaural all the way through lightning bolt maybe one song a night at the most off all those albums I’d like to see 24 songs is fine with me, but how about two or three songs per album and then even off versus I’d like to see them play go and leash and animal on a almost nightly basis, they play the songs, maybe one or two times the whole tour same with presenttense light-years whipping STBC‘s, parting ways, green disease, life wasted comatose and so on tons of other songs they can play. 
  • DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    edited May 2023
    Definitely the way it is now.  Our daughter and her friends went to the Taylor Swift concert and all she kept saying was "I wonder what the surprise song is going to be?"  Couldn't imagine going to a Pearl Jam show and knowing what 99% of the songs I was going to hear were going to be.  That's the greatest thing about their tours - it's still exciting to log on and see the final set list on the fanview threads the day after shows, LOL....
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
    I’m nowhere near the show count of others but I just listened to the Toronto 2022 show the other day (I was there), and I really felt that I got my money’s worth both live and recorded.

As has been said the fanbase has been essentially conditioned to expect close to 3 hour shows so maybe it’s us that need to adjust our expectations? If “shorter” shows is what the band needs to do to keep touring I’m fine with that but can see where others might feel some degree of disappointment.
    I feel like people adjusted. In the end a concert is a concert. Or was it a lot easier to get tickets this US tour?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I was listening once again to the Ed Ved episode on the Smartless podcast the other day (great podcast btw), and in so many words Ed mentioned that if the setlist was set for shows, it would make the process of touring so much easier. So would you guys prefer the tours we've been getting with the variety of songs still in play, or would you prefer a 40 dates NA tour with basically a standard 18 song setlist with maybe 4-6 wildcard songs in play?
    Definitely the way it is now.  Our daughter and her friends went to the Taylor Swift concert and all she kept saying was "I wonder what the surprise song is going to be?"  Couldn't imagine going to a Pearl Jam show and knowing what 99% of the songs I was going to hear were going to be.  That's the greatest thing about their tours - it's still exciting to log on and see the final set list on the fanview threads the day after shows, LOL....
    Yeah there would definitely always need to be some wildcard songs...I just got the bug of seeing them live last year after a lengthy hiatus for me, so i'm just wishing for more shows haha. It's wild that we picked Pearl Jam as our favorite band, and they're still touring 32+ years later. We got lucky and picked a special band. 

edited May 2023
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

In what way is that not a push ” towards Foo Fighters rigidness”. That is what it is. 

I am not saying Pearl Jam is Foo Fighters. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Yeah there would definitely always need to be some wildcard songs...I just got the bug of seeing them live last year after a lengthy hiatus for me, so i'm just wishing for more shows haha. It's wild that we picked Pearl Jam as our favorite band, and they're still touring 32+ years later. We got lucky and picked a special band. 
    So true, and so many bands are not. 

PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

In what way is that not a push ” towards Foo Fighters rigidness”. That is what it is. 

We are talking copy and paste sets every night with copy and paste stories. PJ is not moving in that direction even with the changes last year. 

• PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

We are talking copy and paste sets every night with copy and paste stories. PJ is not moving in that direction even with the changes last year. 

wait...the stories are the same?

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,808
    edited May 2023
    People are definitely traveling for their white whales, to finish off albums, etc.

There's no way people would travel if it was a Taylor Swift setup. People travel for her shows, but only because she's the current "Big Thing." IIRC, out of her two "secret songs" one is predictable, as it's off a specific album. 

It'd be like if PJ did 35 songs, but song 28 was guaranteed to be off Ten, song 29 was a wildcard and the other 33 were the same as every other night.

You could go to any site that has the tour setlist and follow along. I've done that with some bands that maybe I know the radio hits and I don't really like knowing what songs are coming...even though those bands are gonna play the songs I know.

My theory is the Swifties are swallowing it up because:
    They're largely women who scream for anything and everything Taylor. (I'm not saying all women are like that...but yeah, it's a pop sensation thing. BTS is the same way. "OMG! SHE SAID THE WORD MIDNIGHT! IT MEANS SOMETHANNGGGGG!?!??") Her song that mentions whatever date was played on that date and they acted like it was a big shock.

Compare that to PJ fans who are much more mellow. "Oh, they covered Mother Love Bone in Ft. Worth? Of course they did."

They're kids who don't need different setlists every night and it might even cause jealousy/drama if a certain city got a specific song whereas someone's cousin in another city didn't.

She's also created one hell of a hype machine. Jimmy Fallon's replay the other night was of visit. Jimmy was tiptoeing around the fact she hadn't toured in a while. TS agreed and had a "hmmm, maybe I should tour" and her fans went ape. PJ fans would be like "oh, there's gonna be a tour soon? Well, we already know the dates and cities."

With that said, pop music almost *has* to be the same every night with the theatrical portion (pre-recorded videos, costume changes, backup dancers). Since Pearl Jam really just has the guys on stage without pyro, drones, videos every 4-5 songs, they can not only mix it up every night, but also call an audible 45 minutes after the third song got played.

PJ doesn't need the same setlists every night.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took Metallica 40 years to figure it out.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    JimmyV said:
    I think we are more likely to see sets similar to 2022 than we are 2013-2018. 
    I agree.  They don't get any extra money for playing 45min to 1hr longer.  They are getting older.  They ripped the bandaid off in 2021/2022 which they probably knew was a huge dissapointment for 10% of the fans at the show.    Wouldn't make sense to go back to longer shows unless they wanted to for themselves.  

PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

They have pushed towards a Foo Fighters rigidness  

Thank you. 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

They have pushed towards a Foo Fighters rigidness  

Thank you. 
    Your welcome! 
  • JadlerJadler Posts: 761
    I’m pretty sure Stone was on Sirius XM after the tour last year for a “Year in Review” interview saying these show lengths/ number of songs are here to stay for the most part.  I’m paraphrasing, but basically “makes for a much better product, less burn-out and physical strain.” Didn’t sound like they will be going to a cookie cutter setlist anytime soon though which is great news. Wish I could find the clip! 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    Jadler said:
    I’m pretty sure Stone was on Sirius XM after the tour last year for a “Year in Review” interview saying these show lengths/ number of songs are here to stay for the most part.  I’m paraphrasing, but basically “makes for a much better product, less burn-out and physical strain.” Didn’t sound like they will be going to a cookie cutter setlist anytime soon though which is great news. Wish I could find the clip! 

This one? 2022 Year In Review SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio December 23rd 2022

Jonathan Cohen talks about the set list length @ the 79th mark. Don't remember Stone saying anything about show lengths / number of songs.