Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Now I'm thinking I may try to hunt down as many auto cards from the 2022 Astros WS team that I can find. This could be a pricey endeavor.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    My Trout collection will take a serious beating here soon.  I'm already seeing people dump him.  At least it will be easier to purchase some things, lol!

Ohtani's cards continue to go up.  Wow.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928
    My Trout collection will take a serious beating here soon.  I'm already seeing people dump him.  At least it will be easier to purchase some things, lol!

Maybe get some Salmon cards instead...
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

HAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    Is there a good Elly De la Cruz card yet? I see a Topps call up card and a Bowman on ebay
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Is there a good Elly De la Cruz card yet? I see a Topps call up card and a Bowman on ebay
    Yes, his First Bowman was in last years chrome.  He won't have a "rc" card until next years release.  These cards have already skyrocketed.
    2022 Topps 1st Bowman RC Auto Rookie Blue Signature ELLY DE LA CRUZ Digital   Being Patient
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    88 Topps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 87 Topps

I said what I said.
    Son you done lost your mind...  87 and the wood border, Bonds, Bonilla, Snyder, Clark, Incaviligia, Larkin, Sierra, McGwire, Canseco, Greenwell, Surhoff and Bo Jackson rookies!?!

1988 has... Wait for it... Tom Glavine...
    Man has it been that long since I’ve visited this thread? I was speaking purely on design. Obviously 87 is the better set subject-wise. But I never liked that wood grain border. It reminded me of the cheap wood paneling we had in our houses, which was just lifeless and awful.

Mike Greenwell. I remember how hyped that card was back then! :lol: 
  • Options

$10 card in April, just picked it up for $50
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    I have a bunch of Topps Now 2018 Ohtani cards.....not worth as much as I thought.......must have produced a huge amount of cards.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I have a bunch of Topps Now 2018 Ohtani cards.....not worth as much as I thought.......must have produced a huge amount of cards.
    If you have the first Topps Now the OS-80 of him at the podium, that goes for 40-50 now.  That was a $10 card and there are 17,000 of them made.
  • Options
    88 Topps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 87 Topps

I said what I said.
    Son you done lost your mind...  87 and the wood border, Bonds, Bonilla, Snyder, Clark, Incaviligia, Larkin, Sierra, McGwire, Canseco, Greenwell, Surhoff and Bo Jackson rookies!?!

1988 has... Wait for it... Tom Glavine...
    Man has it been that long since I’ve visited this thread? I was speaking purely on design. Obviously 87 is the better set subject-wise. But I never liked that wood grain border. It reminded me of the cheap wood paneling we had in our houses, which was just lifeless and awful.

Mike Greenwell. I remember how hyped that card was back then! :lol: 
    Yes I was a big fab of the wood grain.  The 88's I thought were lifeless.  They look good glossy though!
  • Options

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928

HAHAHAHA!!!!
    Always found it funny that both of them played for The Angels. Always thought Salmon was kinda underrated. He had a decent career.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441

🤣
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I really want to add to my vintage collection, but unsure where I want to go.  I like hall of famers of the 50s for sure and great looking sets.  Just immense pricing for better grades.  Also want to consider a 50's or 60s set building project.

Kind of want to start an Ozzie Smith and/or Tony Gwynn PC as well.

I really want to go to a card show.  Not sure where to find one nearby though.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    bought three of these on Ebay.....hopefully it is on the rise in terms of value.

2023 Topps Now MLB 402 Elly De La CruzWill Benson RC Cincinnati Reds - Presale - Picture 1 of 1

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I really want to add to my vintage collection, but unsure where I want to go.  I like hall of famers of the 50s for sure and great looking sets.  Just immense pricing for better grades.  Also want to consider a 50's or 60s set building project.

OK.  Multiple answers here.

Start small and buy cards that have "eye appeal".  They may have rounded edges or a faint crease but can look nice as hell.  The better the card is the better the grade and of course higher the price.

Your state or area should have a list of card shows.  If you have trouble finding one DM me and I'll look for you.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    bought three of these on Ebay.....hopefully it is on the rise in terms of value.

2023 Topps Now MLB 402 Elly De La CruzWill Benson RC Cincinnati Reds - Presale - Picture 1 of 1

Topps now stuff sometimes comes in a parallels or signed.  Those can get some good money.  For the most part these go up slightly in value if at all.

They are cool but you won't be getting rich.  Enjoy the cards though.

I had bought Ohtani and Judge stuff when they first came out in this.  I have stopped since then.
  • Options
    I just saw that Johnny Bench and Tony Perez are both going to be signing autographs at the Chicago convention in a few weeks.

Bench $129 and Perez $79 to sign a baseball, etc.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Start small and buy cards that have "eye appeal".  They may have rounded edges or a faint crease but can look nice as hell.  The better the card is the better the grade and of course higher the price.

Your state or area should have a list of card shows.  If you have trouble finding one DM me and I'll look for you.

Thanks.  So you are suggesting to accumulate raw cards?  Then send in for grading myself?

• Options
    edited July 2023
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Thanks.  So you are suggesting to accumulate raw cards?  Then send in for grading myself?

I’ll tell you what I do. Everyone is different and it depends what you’re trying to get out of it. 

I like researching a minor leaguer. Check what they are doing in the minors and try to pick up their cards before they hit the majors. Raw or graded. 

If it’s someone I pc, personal collection, I might buy raw or graded. It all depends. So like Trout. There are certain cards I just want graded by him and others I buy just to have. 

Trout being hurt right now is good for me as a collector because his stuff is plummeting. I do hope he gets better and gets a few more good productive years. These last 4 have been bad though last year he had 40. 

Edit:  I need to add to this as this was for your PC and vintage stuff.

If you know what you're looking at in a raw card buy it.  There are people whom have trimmed, bleached and recolored cards over the years making some near worthless so be careful.

Cards might look good on the computer but when shown in the light could contain scratches or pop marks on the card, even a small crease that was undiscernible just from a few pics.

A 3 in a graded 48 Leaf Williams might be off center and rounded corners but look absolutely stunning in person.  It's up to you on what you want in a card and what you want to pay.

Explore ebay comps and you might see one card that was a 5 go for more than other 5's graded.  Why is that?  Centered?  Color better?  It's usually the eye appeal.

Buy the card, not the grade.

Again, hope this helps.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    I just saw that Johnny Bench and Tony Perez are both going to be signing autographs at the Chicago convention in a few weeks.

I think it might be cheaper to buy one on ebay, lol.
  • Options

do you know how the autograph things work? Do they generally just sign one thing or will they sign like a baseball and a baseball card, etc?

• Options
    “Buy the card, not the grade” is excellent advice to live by.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

do you know how the autograph things work? Do they generally just sign one thing or will they sign like a baseball and a baseball card, etc?
    Some are flat fee, some charge differently for different items and some won't sign certain items like I believe Trout won't sign rookie cards anymore.

I was curious so I went to the TriStar site and he does charge different items and fees.

See link.
    https://www.tristarproductions.com/National/tickets.html

If u still have questions fire away.
  • Options
    Tickets for BENCH JOHNNY from TRISTAR Productions

BENCH, JOHNNY

Fri. Jul 28, 2023 at 11:30am CDT

Legendary Cincinnati Reds Catcher; 14x All-Star; 10x Gold Glove; 1968 NL Rookie of the Year; 2x NL MVP; 2x World Series Champ, 1976 WS MVP; MLB All-Time Team; Jersey #5 Retired by Reds; Hall of Fame 1989; FANATICS Exclusive

Note: Licensed items only. Max 5 trading cards per customer.

• REGULAR: Flat item up to 11x14, or baseball
    • PREMIUM: Flat item larger than 11x14, equipment, or any item not listed
    • FULL SIZE: Full-size bat, licensed jersey, artwork, or game-used item
    • INSCRIPTION: One (1) career achievement, or a personalization up to 3 words; Max 2 per item
    • PHOTO OP: Posed photo with celebrity at TRISTAR Photo Booth. Photo taken approximately 15 minutes before appearance time. Good for one 8x10 photo printed on site. Autograph not included.  Johnny reserves the right to wear a mask during
  • Options
    I tried screen shotting the prices but it won't work.

Regular 129, Premium 149,  Full size, 189, Inscription49, Photo op129.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I’ll tell you what I do. Everyone is different and it depends what you’re trying to get out of it. 

I like researching a minor leaguer. Check what they are doing in the minors and try to pick up their cards before they hit the majors. Raw or graded. 

If it’s someone I pc, personal collection, I might buy raw or graded. It all depends. So like Trout. There are certain cards I just want graded by him and others I buy just to have. 

Trout being hurt right now is good for me as a collector because his stuff is plummeting. I do hope he gets better and gets a few more good productive years. These last 4 have been bad though last year he had 40. 

If you know what you're looking at in a raw card buy it.  There are people whom have trimmed, bleached and recolored cards over the years making some near worthless so be careful.

Cards might look good on the computer but when shown in the light could contain scratches or pop marks on the card, even a small crease that was undiscernible just from a few pics.

A 3 in a graded 48 Leaf Williams might be off center and rounded corners but look absolutely stunning in person.  It's up to you on what you want in a card and what you want to pay.

Explore ebay comps and you might see one card that was a 5 go for more than other 5's graded.  Why is that?  Centered?  Color better?  It's usually the eye appeal.

Again, hope this helps.
    Yeah, moreso for a tight pC than speculation.

Kind of why I would like to hit a card show.  Would like to see some vintage cards in person.  

Online is well and good.  Ebay photos especially seem obscured.  I am in a Vintage Card group on facebook with many auctions, and it seems those photos are better quality, descriptions more thorough, if there is any BS its called out, etc...
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Again, hope this helps.
    Yeah, moreso for a tight pC than speculation.

Kind of why I would like to hit a card show.  Would like to see some vintage cards in person.  

Online is well and good.  Ebay photos especially seem obscured.  I am in a Vintage Card group on facebook with many auctions, and it seems those photos are better quality, descriptions more thorough, if there is any BS its called out, etc...
    I can't help you w speculation.  If cards go down then I would be responsible for that.

So people are always looking to make money and deals.  You do have the old time collectors that don't grade stuff and have all raw.  Those are GREAT to buy from.

Every now and then you have someone come around that just "acquired" cards and wants to sell them and that is another way of getting some nice cards.

If you see something you like and don't have enough pics, by all means ask for more.  The more the better.

When I sell cards online I take a ton or even a video for a few reasons.  I don't want a return, bait and switch, any flaw(If any) and I want the person to be comfortable and buy from me again.