Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Hi! said:
    Laughed when I saw that ‘85 Donruss Mattingly posted above because I had just bought this at the antique mall yesterday. I also thought the write up on the back was interesting, something I didn’t know, especially with 1-2 same team batting title connections with the Tigers. The shot of Mattingly is kind of funny. 

This is how I remember Mattingly.

There was a printing variation of this card too.  White letters instead of yellow and Pink instead of red writing.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited May 2023
    Hi! said:
    Laughed when I saw that ‘85 Donruss Mattingly posted above because I had just bought this at the antique mall yesterday. I also thought the write up on the back was interesting, something I didn’t know, especially with 1-2 same team batting title connections with the Tigers. The shot of Mattingly is kind of funny. 

There was a printing variation of this card too.  White letters instead of yellow and Pink instead of red writing.
    That’s cool, I’ll look into the other ones when I get home. Right now I’m in the market for some Mattingly as a manager cards.

Anybody in the know have an opinion, thought, or information on these Babe Ruth’s, Jackson’s, and Gehrig cards below. Be cool to get them in a bundle deal:

Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

That’s cool, I’ll look into the other ones when I get home. Right now I’m in the market for some Mattingly as a manager cards.

Anybody in the know have an opinion, thought, or information on these Babe Ruth’s, Jackson’s, and Gehrig cards below. Be cool to get them in a bundle deal:

My opinion is the person whom owns this knows what they are doing and the cards that are potentially worth thousands if real are all reprints.

That Playball Jackson card looks like it was made to look worn.

This is just by two pics.  I would need to hold them up to the light and feel them.  Look at them through a loop but I think they are reprints.

If not they are worth a lot of money.

Basically you don't sell a 3K card for $250.
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

My opinion is the person whom owns this knows what they are doing and the cards that are potentially worth thousands if real are all reprints.

This is just by two pics.  I would need to hold them up to the light and feel them.  Look at them through a loop but I think they are reprints.

Interesting. Thanks. 
    Do you trust sellers on eBay? I usually will just buy from sellers with a lot of sales and/or 96%+ rating.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Interesting. Thanks. 
    Do you trust sellers on eBay? I usually will just buy from sellers with a lot of sales and/or 96%+ rating.

ebay guarantees cards authentic now over $100.  They get authenticated before they ship so that is a good thing. So yes.

Something else that is getting me about those cards is the first page and that Jackson card is a famous photo of him and was used in a card game.  I do not remember seeing that style of card.
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Interesting. Thanks. 

ebay guarantees cards authentic now over $100.  They get authenticated before they ship so that is a good thing. So yes.

Something else that is getting me about those cards is the first page and that Jackson card is a famous photo of him and was used in a card game.  I do not remember seeing that style of card.
    Thanks again.
    yeah, the Ruth’s and Jackson’s were at a collectibles store and caught my eye. I tried looking some info up to no avail, if I stop there again I’ll see if I can get some better pics. 

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Hi! said:

Antique Mall… wow that makes me feel old…lol 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    anyone remember these cards from the 70's/80's? I think i have almost all of them from one of those years.]
    1980 Kelloggs Set Brought Back Big Names and Introduced Slimmer Design
    1979 Kelloggs Set Draws Interest From Error Collectors

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    anyone remember these cards from the 70's/80's? I think i have almost all of them from one of those years.]

1980 Kelloggs cards.  Those were great.  We also had Drakes Cakes cards on the East coast.
  • Options

1980 Kelloggs cards.  Those were great.  We also had Drakes Cakes cards on the East coast.

i have pretty much all of the ones with Schmidt on them. I think that was the '80 series.I don't think i have any Drakes Cakes cards (maybe one or two?). I'll have to look for them.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

i have pretty much all of the ones with Schmidt on them. I think that was the '80 series.I don't think i have any Drakes Cakes cards (maybe one or two?). I'll have to look for them.
    Kelloggs was from 70-80 then I believe Drakes took over.

Drakes has the duck on it.  I love the early kelloggs cards though.  so ahead of their time.
  • Options
    Taking a flier on this Angels prospect.. 

• Options
    Anyone collect Soccer?  

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    Anyone collect Soccer?  
    I like Mbappe and Haaland.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    He's only 19 but isn't showing much pop.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    Anyone collect Soccer?  
    Mbappe and Haaland are huge stars.. kinda like saying I like Ohtani and Trout…lol 

I collect Dutch and Ajax players after going to a few matches in Amsterdam… Gravenberch is a kid that made the Dutch national team and first team Ajax at 18.. he plays for famous Bayern Munich now.. 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    So far he hasn’t done much, but for $10ish each it was worth the gamble… ya never know.. the angels gave him $2 million to sign a minor league contract, so they must have a little faith in him.. 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Anyone collect Soccer?  
    Mbappe and Haaland are huge stars.. kinda like saying I like Ohtani and Trout…lol 

I collect Dutch and Ajax players after going to a few matches in Amsterdam… Gravenberch is a kid that made the Dutch national team and first team Ajax at 18.. he plays for famous Bayern Munich now.. 
    When you watched both of them come up young and become stars there is a reason to collect them.  Haaland surprised me the most so far.

I like Pulisic too  Been watching him forever it seems.

If you like to collect average guys good for you.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    So far he hasn’t done much, but for $10ish each it was worth the gamble… ya never know.. the angels gave him $2 million to sign a minor league contract, so they must have a little faith in him.. 
    Buy 10's and not 9's though.

If he still grows then maybe.  The new guys Zeto and Rada seem to be legit for the Halos.  Keep an eye out for them.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Anyone collect Soccer?  

When you watched both of them come up young and become stars there is a reason to collect them.  Haaland surprised me the most so far.

> Buy 10s not 9s 
    Wow that was rude…I never said you shouldn’t collect them or anything else. I simply said they are established superstars now and comparing them to a prospect is kinda unfair… That’s like you posting a newly drafted 4th round QB prospect and someone saying “I like Brady and Rodgers”  

People collect what they like and what makes them happy, for various reasons, not always necessarily what others may think is the “best” or even things that others may think is “average”. Not all are collectibles are bought just for future resell value.

Buy 10s not 9s 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t believe every card has to be a perfect 10  or even be graded to be enjoyed. 

Sorry, but it seems like every other thread here has to turn to negative comments and judging others… just tired of it.. 

Like the time I posted my Trout RCs and you called me a liar, only for me to prove you wrong. Then you “ Apologized” and tell me to go fuck myself at the same time… dude I’ve always tried to be friendly to you yet you seem to never reciprocate the respect. 

Not all threads here need to have conflict. There are plenty of political threads in the moving train area where that’s expected and even encouraged… baseball card threads should be sharing and fun…

I’m guessing you’ll get pissed and call me some shit without really reading into this post and that’s okay… you do you. 

Peace.. 

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    Anyone here collect Starting Lineup figures?  Always thought it was cool that you could see Jeff Ament’s figures on his amp head at the bottom of the frame in this famous Mercer shot..

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    myoung321 said:
    Anyone here collect Starting Lineup figures?  Always thought it was cool that you could see Jeff Ament’s figures on his amp head at the bottom of the frame in this famous Mercer shot..

I used to have a bunch of those back in the day. I do have several of the McFarlane figurines now, though. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    myoung321 said:

I used to have a bunch of those back in the day. I do have several of the McFarlane figurines now, though. 
    The McFarlane’s are certainly a big upgrade…lol

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    edited May 2023
    myoung321 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    myoung321 said:

The McFarlane’s are certainly a big upgrade…lol
    Yup. LOL

Trying to get all of the Astros - still need the Nolan, Clemens & Joe Morgan
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    myoung321 said:

I used to and still have some of them (sold most of them awhile back)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I still have few, but have also sold several… still have some nice Jordan’s 

• Options
    edited May 2023
    A few others and a Mike Trout 2013 Macfarlane 

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Anyone been ripping Bowman?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Anyone collect Soccer?  

> Buy 10s not 9s 
    Wow that was rude…I never said you shouldn’t collect them or anything else. I simply said they are established superstars now and comparing them to a prospect is kinda unfair… That’s like you posting a newly drafted 4th round QB prospect and someone saying “I like Brady and Rodgers”  

People collect what they like and what makes them happy, for various reasons, not always necessarily what others may think is the “best” or even things that others may think is “average”. Not all are collectibles are bought just for future resell value.

Buy 10s not 9s 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t believe every card has to be a perfect 10  or even be graded to be enjoyed. 

Sorry, but it seems like every other thread here has to turn to negative comments and judging others… just tired of it.. 

Like the time I posted my Trout RCs and you called me a liar, only for me to prove you wrong. Then you “ Apologized” and tell me to go fuck myself at the same time… dude I’ve always tried to be friendly to you yet you seem to never reciprocate the respect. 

Not all threads here need to have conflict. There are plenty of political threads in the moving train area where that’s expected and even encouraged… baseball card threads should be sharing and fun…

I’m guessing you’ll get pissed and call me some shit without really reading into this post and that’s okay… you do you. 

Peace.. 

Umm, no.  You made it into something Hoss, sorry.  I wasn't rude at all, that is how I write, short and to the point.  Take it to PM instead and clear the air, [name-calling removed. see the Posting Guidelines]

I'm passionate about cards and voicing my opinion is not confrontation, not in the slightest.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    Anyone been ripping Bowman?
    Rumor has it that the Jones bounty card will be pulled in a blaster.  Take that with a grain of salt.

The Pearl cards in Hobby are a nice touch albeit rare as hell.  I am watching a Rada on ebay right now.

I picked the Halos in two breaks and did good.  Both yielded autos that I will sit on for a few years and see what happens.

How've you done?