Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    Tickets for BENCH JOHNNY from TRISTAR Productions

BENCH, JOHNNY

Fri. Jul 28, 2023 at 11:30am CDT

Legendary Cincinnati Reds Catcher; 14x All-Star; 10x Gold Glove; 1968 NL Rookie of the Year; 2x NL MVP; 2x World Series Champ, 1976 WS MVP; MLB All-Time Team; Jersey #5 Retired by Reds; Hall of Fame 1989; FANATICS Exclusive

Note: Licensed items only. Max 5 trading cards per customer.

• REGULAR: Flat item up to 11x14, or baseball
    • PREMIUM: Flat item larger than 11x14, equipment, or any item not listed
    • FULL SIZE: Full-size bat, licensed jersey, artwork, or game-used item
    • INSCRIPTION: One (1) career achievement, or a personalization up to 3 words; Max 2 per item
    • PHOTO OP: Posed photo with celebrity at TRISTAR Photo Booth. Photo taken approximately 15 minutes before appearance time. Good for one 8x10 photo printed on site. Autograph not included.  Johnny reserves the right to wear a mask during
    thanks...I had seen that "5 cards" thing but wasn't sure if that included a baseball....I would think so
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,921
    MayDay10 said:

I really want to go to a card show.  Not sure where to find one nearby though.

Where are you from again? Upstste NY? Can't remember I Thought we met at one of the PJ shows in philly awhile back (maybe Made in America or Tres Mts.).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    yeah, Buffalo.  I think that was Tres Mts.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    MayDay10 said:
    yeah, Buffalo.  I think that was Tres Mts.
    You just missed one...
    https://www.buffalosportscardconvention.com/
  • Options
    @Gern Blansten  Still considering a Bench auto?  He has to do some damage control.
  • Options
    Ohtani and Elly cards are straight fire right now.

Acuna is also getting up there.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    @Gern Blansten  Still considering a Bench auto?  He has to do some damage control.
    lol....yeah I think it's blown out of proportion
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Some Jewish people in a card group I'm in were not happy about it.  I know it was a joke, poor taste in todays world but I agree with you.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,442
    Some Jewish people in a card group I'm in were not happy about it.  I know it was a joke, poor taste in todays world but I agree with you.
    As a Jewish person, I was surprised by the comment, but considering it came from a gritty old 70s ballplayer, I know it's not the end of the world.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    As a Jewish person, I was surprised by the comment, but considering it came from a gritty old 70s ballplayer, I know it's not the end of the world.
    That's how everyone talked back then for the most part.  Like you said, he's old.
  • Options
    I bought a decent Mattingly rookie 1984 card the other day for $15.... Im not even a big Mattingly fan, and far from a Yankees fan.  This card was my claim to fame as a kid.  I owned it, and it was worth like $50 and going places.  Don't know where it is now... but I have replaced it now.

I am in a bidding war with someone over a Ozzie Smith '79 rookie with decent centering (for that card/set and appears to be in decent shape.  Im up to $36 plus $3 shipping

• Options
    edited July 2023
    MayDay10 said:
    I bought a decent Mattingly rookie 1984 card the other day for $15.... Im not even a big Mattingly fan, and far from a Yankees fan.  This card was my claim to fame as a kid.  I owned it, and it was worth like $50 and going places.  Don't know where it is now... but I have replaced it now.

I am in a bidding war with someone over a Ozzie Smith '79 rookie with decent centering (for that card/set and appears to be in decent shape.  Im up to $36 plus $3 shipping

Nice card.  I wouldn't pay any more for it though.

Edit:

I looked at it again and I wouldn't buy it.

The card is Diamond cut.  See the bottom how it is thin on the left and thick on the right?

No bueno.

But, If you like the card and it has eye appeal to you enjoy.  I've bought cool cards that were crap but I loved the look.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    yeah, Im at my limit for that one.  

So is diamond cut from the factory?  Or after market tampering?  

One thing is for sure.  The 1979 cards are wrecked as far as centering goes.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    yeah, Im at my limit for that one.  

So is diamond cut from the factory?  Or after market tampering?  

One thing is for sure.  The 1979 cards are wrecked as far as centering goes.
    It's factory but the grading companies frown upon it unfortunately.  I think the card looks great it's just not worth as much a s a good cut one is.

Anything mass produced will have diamond cut cards.  The company made sooooo many of them they took short cuts in cutting them an this is what you get.
  • Options
    Topps Now Ohtani relics are up now.  Pretty damn pricey but if you want one go to the Topps site.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

How cool is it that Shohei wrote in Kanji and that Trout is humble enough to have him sign the card for him?

Trout is a HUUUUUGE card collector and I mentioned this on other forums, Trout usually has his cards personalized on the labels.  I'm surprised these weren't.

Pretty damn cool though.
  • Options
    I got a 25 card sub back. Mostly ohtanis. The others were Alonso, Gorman, Griffey, bichette and Vlad jr. All 10’s but the griffeys. They grade any one super damn tough. 

That SP 7 of Ohtani I got I think PSA dropped my damn card. 

How do u get 10’s across the board w a 9 here and there and get a 7?

I check my cards very carefully. It’s a rare occasion that I miss something. I don’t recall seeing that. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    I got a 25 card sub back. Mostly ohtanis. The others were Alonso, Gorman, Griffey, bichette and Vlad jr. All 10’s but the griffeys. They grade any one super damn tough. 

I check my cards very carefully. It’s a rare occasion that I miss something. I don’t recall seeing that. 
    Ouch!  That does seem way off.  But nice job on all those 10s.  🤩
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

Ouch!  That does seem way off.  But nice job on all those 10s.  🤩
    Yeah.  $1400 card in a 10.  7? 300 maybe?

I know cards and what to look for so yeah, pretty bummed that the potentially most expensive one had a flaw...  The Blackplate I could see go either way.  The Gold Label had me confused and the chrome 9 could have gone either way also.

But TY.  I got back some beauties!

Next few weeks there will be 25 a week or so coming in.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,442
    edited August 2023

Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    If you are collecting 2023 chrome cards, expect another buy back from Topps.

Looks like Ohtani for MVP but NL there is Acuna and maybe Olson?

Anywho the Ohtani base I'd trade but the numbered stuff I'd keep.

I haven't bought 1 single pack of topps 2023 product this year...
  • Options
    So.  NFLPA has decided to cut it's ties w Panini.  Basically handing tis over to Fanatics now.  They are truly going to monopolize MLB, NBA and now NFL.  The only one left standing will be Upper Deck whom has a lock, for now, on the NHL.

I expect prices to increase a lot on cards if Fanatics is in charge.  I see what they did to game used and players autos in general.

It will be interesting.

Not sure how they get away with it?  Fleer and Donruss fought Topps years ago and won.  Not sure why they can't do that now?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    A key point to remember as well is that UD only has exclusive rights to NHL trading cards. That's what enables Topps to already sell fully licensed NHL stickers.
  • Options
    A key point to remember as well is that UD only has exclusive rights to NHL trading cards. That's what enables Topps to already sell fully licensed NHL stickers.
    Yep, and UD makes classic college cards and Cabinet NBA cards.  They did some awesome MJ stuff recently.  

I don't know anyone that cares about the stickers?
  • Options
    New Show pickups. Won the signed jersey in a raffle. Also bought an ichiro RC and 80 trout commons. 

September I’ll be at the big Philly show and October is the Hofstra show. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
  • Options
    I went to a small-ish show at Dave and Adams yesterday.  It was good.  Could have spent much more time there, but just wanted to get my feet wet and I had my kid there who was overwhelmed.  

My kid got a nice tri-color patch of Dylan Cozens, a $2 repack of Goodwin Champions, a really cool refractor Tatis card, and an old school Anaheim Mighty Ducks puck.

I found a table with a pretty large raw vintage selection (had some beautiful vintage basketball slabs too).  Went through it as quick as I could and grabbed these that I liked.  Nothing great or anything.  Just cards that I enjoyed that were in decent shape with a good price.  I think these 8 cost me $30 or something like that.

I also bought this pack of 81 Donruss for $7.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,921
    is the philly card show in Oaks? Depending on when it is, I might go to it.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    is the philly card show in Oaks? Depending on when it is, I might go to it.
    That's it!  At the expo center.  September 22-24.  Dude come say hello please!!!