Cancellation Notice For Vienna, Austria

Comments

• critteraucritterau Posts: 199
    tino_11 said:
    critterau said:
    Those saying play without Ed are crazy, you might think that as a hardcore fan wanting a one off show but 90% of people want a normal pearl jam show with the hits, imagine you're a casual fan and you get some weird half ass show and cant even get a refund.  By postponing at least people get a refund if they cant make the new date.
    And we aren’t crazy. We were in the venue when the cancelled. BS. They couldn’t have done this well before that or come out and talked to the fans or put on a “free” show. You can do both. All the equipment was here which now has to come back for the make you show. The band has literally nothing to do right now and could be playing.
    The boring answer here is likely to do with the insurance claim being void if the band plays the show without Eddie. Then there’d be no refunds for ticket holders and even more uproar. 
    Exactly!  
    100% false. 
    Bham 9/3/98
    Atl 8/7/00, Houston 10/14/00
    Bham 4/9/03, Nash 4/18/03, Atl 4/19/03, Boston 7/11/03, Hershey 7/12/03
    Orlando 10/8/04
    Camden 5/27, 5/28/06
    PJ20 9/3 & 9/4/11
    Missoula 9/30/12
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Charlotte 10/30/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 2 11/24/13
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    If his voice isn’t doing well, the smart thing was to cancel and try to salvage the last few shows. If they push it and makes it worse, the rest of the shows are done for sure. It sucks for anyone who was going but they have to look at all scenarios and do what’s best overall 
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    Yeah, Im sure its all done with best intentions and future planning. Just sucks for those there tonight, I remember the feeling when the London O2 show got cancelled.  Main thing is Ed gets better
  • ZootrumZootrum Posts: 47
    Hawk123 said:
    If his voice isn’t doing well, the smart thing was to cancel and try to salvage the last few shows. If they push it and makes it worse, the rest of the shows are done for sure. It sucks for anyone who was going but they have to look at all scenarios and do what’s best overall 
    The poinHawk123 said:
    True, but still, the point is rather the timing at which the (obviously foreseeable) cancellation was communicated to the people.
    And it's not about "the band tried everything until the end". The latter would have been a soundcheck without EV with an "emergency" program. Also only as a rehearsal for the case of the cases. Nothing took place.
  • I have to say it. The Gigaton album & tour sure seems cursed. They should have just scraped it from the get-go, recorded a new album and toured that in 2022. Sorry for all the fans that were supposed to go to the show tonight.

As someone posted earlier Ed's voice is probably shot hence the shorter sets this tour. If that is indeed true how stupid is it that they added that Bourbon and beyond festival date that has them play 3 shows in a row. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Id be worried if I was St. Louis.
    The only positive today was that I could trade a Krakow poster for Budapest.
    Now sitting on a Viennese one.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited July 2022

Id be worried if I was St. Louis.
    This thought has crossed my mind. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,033
    I have to say it. The Gigaton album & tour sure seems cursed. They should have just scraped it from the get-go, recorded a new album and toured that in 2022. Sorry for all the fans that were supposed to go to the show tonight.

As someone posted earlier Ed's voice is probably shot hence the shorter sets this tour. If that is indeed true how stupid is it that they added that Bourbon and beyond festival date that has them play 3 shows in a row. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Id be worried if I was St. Louis.
    good lord, people. For supposedly being “fans”, you people are awfully harsh. This band can’t do anything right as far as you guys are concerned. Guess they should consult the forum for all major decisions. 
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,879
    I have to say it. The Gigaton album & tour sure seems cursed. They should have just scraped it from the get-go, recorded a new album and toured that in 2022. Sorry for all the fans that were supposed to go to the show tonight.

Just made this exact comment to a buddy about the St. Louis show 
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Zootrum said:
    Hawk123 said:
    The poinHawk123 said:
    True, but still, the point is rather the timing at which the (obviously foreseeable) cancellation was communicated to the people.
    And it's not about "the band tried everything until the end". The latter would have been a soundcheck without EV with an "emergency" program. Also only as a rehearsal for the case of the cases. Nothing took place.
    They are not gonna play in front of 15.000 people who's there to see Eddie Vedder sing Alive and Evenflow without Eddie Vedder.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    Ed has sounded really good this tour..! 

Hope he gets well soon!

I'm sure they all feel like shit, having to cancel another show 😪 especially one that was postponed twice already

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    Zootrum said:
    JackD. said:
    Zootrum said:
    This is a great disappointment. I'm heartbroken, all the more so because there seems to have been no effort at all to find an alternate date. 
    According to local media, Eddie was still waving from the hotel at six, so it must have been clear by then that there was no show today. It's nice that people still had to wait and shop for hours in the sweltering heat at the merch for a show that they had probably long since guessed would probably not be able to take place. 
    Probably my disappointment and sadness comes out here more than anything else, but at that second I'm really a little irritated at the timing of the communication as well. 
    Anyway, all the best Eddie.
    Probably Prague will burst as well.
    I guess they were still hoping to play at 6. No way they let people queue in the unknown for an hour. He probably had a last check up from doctors who pulled the plug.
    Probably, but in my disappointment say, cynically you could say, the cancellation came when the Outside Merch was sold out.
    They moved the inside merch to the outside booth after cancelling. To sell it.
    wait...this is true?!
  • KM73780 said:

good lord, people. For supposedly being “fans”, you people are awfully harsh. This band can’t do anything right as far as you guys are concerned. Guess they should consult the forum for all major decisions. 

Give me a break! Relax! My comment was meant as a joke. The St. Louis part of my comment was serious. 3 shows in a row is dicey any way you look it.
  • RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    critterau said:
    Those saying play without Ed are crazy, you might think that as a hardcore fan wanting a one off show but 90% of people want a normal pearl jam show with the hits, imagine you're a casual fan and you get some weird half ass show and cant even get a refund.  By postponing at least people get a refund if they cant make the new date.
    And we aren’t crazy. We were in the venue when the cancelled. BS. They couldn’t have done this well before that or come out and talked to the fans or put on a “free” show. You can do both. All the equipment was here which now has to come back for the make you show. The band has literally nothing to do right now and could be playing.
    who says they have to play a make up show?
    edited July 2022
    Zootrum said:
    Hawk123 said:
    The poinHawk123 said:
    They are not gonna play in front of 15.000 people who's there to see Eddie Vedder sing Alive and Evenflow without Eddie Vedder.
    Zootrum said:
    Hawk123 said:
    The poinHawk123 said:
    And it's not about "the band tried everything until the end". The latter would have been a soundcheck w
    Post edited by Zootrum on
    Of course, that's clear, although personally that would have been a comfort to me.
    But I'll stick with it: The cancellation came very (too) late. And I also find the prompt cancellation a pity instead of at least sounding out an alternative date (despite the logistics). This was obviously not even considered.
  • severinlseverinl Posts: 21
    Zootrum said:
    The only positive today was that I could trade a Krakow poster for Budapest.
    Now sitting on a Viennese one.
    If you don't want it, I may be willing to buy it
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    jwhjr17 said:

Just made this exact comment to a buddy about the St. Louis show 
    I have tickets toSTL and this has been my concern ever since they announced Louisville. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    critterau said:

they’ll let you know after the opening band comes on 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Zootrum said:
    Of course, that's clear, although personally that would have been a comfort to me.
    But I'll stick with it: The cancellation came very (too) late. And I also find the prompt cancellation a pity instead of at least sounding out an alternative date (despite the logistics). This was obviously not even considered.
    In your opinion, when would have been an acceptable time to cancel?  Sounds like it was a game time decision.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rahjiimrahjiim Posts: 120
    Zootrum said:
    I don't think that's obvious. They probably considered their options since Monday and communicated their decision when they were sure. 

It obviously was not easy. 
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,033
    KM73780 said:

Give me a break! Relax! My comment was meant as a joke. The St. Louis part of my comment was serious. 3 shows in a row is dicey any way you look it.
    I’m sure they’ll check with you next time so they don’t over extend themselves since you’ve already decided that Ed’s voice is shot 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    With the all out cancellation of the last NA shows and this one.. it does feel like they're not wanting to have owed shows over their head anymore.   Probably hoping to be playing all these postpone shows so they catch up and start anew.

I feel bad for the fans that travelled.   It feels like a hard call to not announce it sooner.    They were probably hoping Eddie would be ok and waited right to the wire hoping the situation would improve, then it seemingly didn't.   Hard to cancel something earlier, if there's a chance it could proceed.
  • minki2011minki2011 Posts: 12
    Considering all the bullshit that can happen nowadays (COVID related cancellations or you yourself get it and can't attend the show, peolple getting their flights cancellled left and right, especially during the summer months), I guess more and more people will stop traveling to shows over time. At some point it just isn't worth it anymore.
  • dr_rockdr_rock Posts: 6
    Eddie! If you need a voice expert in Vienna:

Get well soon!
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    minki2011 said:
    Considering all the bullshit that can happen nowadays (COVID related cancellations or you yourself get it and can't attend the show, peolple getting their flights cancellled left and right, especially during the summer months), I guess more and more people will stop traveling to shows over time. At some point it just isn't worth it anymore.
    We pulled the plug on Europe this year for this exact reason (especially after trying to do the whole May tour and the pure chaos/uncertainty of it). Traveling in Europe is much harder than having United/American flights here.  But it won't deter me from traveling once COVID is no longer grounds for cancellation.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    The 3 day run in September will likely affect him the most after it’s conclusion.  OKC and DEN are the fall shows most at risk, and it’s not close.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Honestly with COVID starting to spike again we might see a lot more cancellations if not a full tour cancellation
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Everything sucks. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    edited July 2022
    Honestly with COVID starting to spike again we might see a lot more cancellations if not a full tour cancellation
    I don’t think Covid numbers will cancel anything.  The only risk that Covid poses at this point is if a band member gets it

But yeah, traveling to see shows is incredibly high risk at the moment.

Don’t book with airlines that don’t offer travel credits if canceled, and don’t book non refundable hotels.  Those rules should always be followed when traveling for shows, no matter what.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II