Options

Cancellation Notice For Vienna, Austria

Comments

• Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    Most everyone i know got covid this euro tour its very  very contagious 
    My brother tested positive 2 days after Copenhagen.. I somehow dodged it..
    Just happy we got our 3 shows in before he got it

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    coach pj said:
    Over all the years of following the band and going to shows I have been on this end, most recently Sacramento and Vegas (London 2018 and SF 1995, and a EV show in Vegas).

I have come to cherish the shows when they happen and not even contemplate length of shows, number of songs, what they played, etc. I am just happy when the show happens and I am reminded why I feel the way I feel about their music.

I get it people travelled and lost time and money. It sounds like the band tried to make it happen. 

It’s disappointing no doubt, but big picture I hope EV is okay and they continue on.

Ditto. 

Nice to see appreciative and sensible posts on here too. Really sorry for all my fellow fans. 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    Most everyone i know got covid this euro tour its very  very contagious 
    My brother tested positive 2 days after Copenhagen.. I somehow dodged it..
    Just happy we got our 3 shows in before he got it
    Still dealing with it after hyde park, still symptoms, still positive.
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I felt so bad for the people I met yesterday for whom this was their only show. I believe the band gave the show every chance of taking place yesterday.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    ZootrumZootrum Posts: 47
    edited July 2022
    mcgruff10 said:
    Zootrum said:
    Of course, that's clear, although personally that would have been a comfort to me.
    But I'll stick with it: The cancellation came very (too) late. And I also find the prompt cancellation a pity instead of at least sounding out an alternative date (despite the logistics). This was obviously not even considered.
    In your opinion, when would have been an acceptable time to cancel?  Sounds like it was a game time decision.  
    To wrap it all up (it is what it is anyway): Of course I know that the band would have loved to play. They are also aware that many fans are sad and disappointed, and that many of them have gone through (travel) hardships for nothing (in the end despite Vienna is a nice city).

Of course, health has top priority. Always and for everyone. 

Of course it is also nonsense to think of a Show "Light" without EV as an alternative.

But one thing is still a bit strange for me: in front of the Vienna Stadthalle you can actually always hear quite well whether and that a soundcheck is being played. Apart from a drum check at around 4, I didn't hear anything. I mean, if the band still had really believed in a show in the afternoon, they would have had to/wanted to do a proper band soundcheck (without Eddie), right?

And then we're back to the timing of the announcement and the merch sales aspect. So we are a bit left with the bitter taste that pecunia non olet is not entirely incorrect in the PJ Camp too.

Off to Prague.
    Post edited by Zootrum on
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    I wouldn’t read anything into the merch thing. They are literally selling posters to cancelled shows on the website and some fans are buying them. Pearl jam fans will buy anything, even if it’s show merch for a show that didn’t happen
  • Options
    The band are entitled to sell their products as well, let's remember that! Let's not be too offended by them moving the merch that was indoors to the outside tent. Probably if they hadn't done that, people would be saying it was ridiculous that they didn't make an effort to bring out the merch!  :D
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    The band are entitled to sell their products as well, let's remember that! Let's not be too offended by them moving the merch that was indoors to the outside tent. Probably if they hadn't done that, people would be saying it was ridiculous that they didn't make an effort to bring out the merch!  :D
    And judging by the huge line people wanted to buy merch afterwards 
  • Options
    I understand people being angry and upset that the show didn't happen, but they don't need to take merch being sold as some kind of sleight.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Zootrum said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Zootrum said:
    Of course, that's clear, although personally that would have been a comfort to me.
    But I'll stick with it: The cancellation came very (too) late. And I also find the prompt cancellation a pity instead of at least sounding out an alternative date (despite the logistics). This was obviously not even considered.
    In your opinion, when would have been an acceptable time to cancel?  Sounds like it was a game time decision.  
    To wrap it all up (it is what it is anyway): Of course I know that the band would have loved to play. They are also aware that many fans are sad and disappointed, and that many of them have gone through (travel) hardships for nothing (in the end despite Vienna is a nice city).

Of course it is also nonsense to think of a Show "Light" without EV as an alternative.

But one thing is still a bit strange for me: in front of the Vienna Stadthalle you can actually always hear quite well whether and that a soundcheck is being played. Apart from a drum check at around 4, I didn't hear anything. I mean, if the band still had really believed in a show in the afternoon, they would have had to/wanted to do a proper band soundcheck (without Eddie), right?

And then we're back to the timing of the announcement and the merch sales aspect. So we are a bit left with the bitter taste that pecunia non olet is not entirely incorrect in the PJ Camp too.

Off to Prague.
    Bands don’t sound check every day. You probably heard a line check where the techs test the instruments and the mixers adjust their sounds. Sometimes the techs will even play a song. 
  • Options
    Well it's definitely a major gut check moment as a "since the beginning" follower of this band; 2+years in the making, planning an entire Austria trip around this event, landing amazing tickets only to be turned around by a random fan at 1645 local time.

No words can describe how it feels, especially given my previous show experiences, but not the time and place for those experiences. 

That said, I absolutely stand by how this went down, sucks, yeah, but I mean if you follow this band you know EV especially gives heart and soul for the fans/followers/listeners. They all do. 

I had a bad vibe with the press coming out of the Paris sbow, and had this sneaking suspicion something wasn't right

So I hope EV gets better, and Stone (happy birthday), McCready, Cameron, Ament and company find a solid footing to resume either performances and/or especially continuing this creative journey. Not many bands like them, so shit happens, we don't own anything, chance can be both a plus or a minus in human terms. 

I'll get my money back, have had a phenomenal two week trip in Austria, and will have another opportunity. 

Still stings like a mad hornet though, travel, money, planning, expectations etc Its that old saying (I'm getting it wrong): Stress/Pain amplifies when one's expectations are vastly different than ones actually reality.

Tschuss. 
    What was the press coming out of the Paris show?
    Thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words, "press" was absolutely not the correct term (had a few too many after the soul crushing cancelation last night - my ability to articulate was off lol).

Mainly after reading a few set list "show reviews" on forums there were a few mentions of "show/song stopped due to crowd issues / conditions" type comments. And following them I noticed every show they posted up the set list pretty quickly, but with Paris there seemed to be a lag.

Again, my intuition kicked in and I just pieced together in my mind a bad "vibe" about Wien show. Unfortunately my gut feeling was correct. 

So no "press" to speak of, seriously thanks for catching that so I could correct. 
  • Options
    Zootrum said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Zootrum said:

Off to Prague.
    Bands don’t sound check every day. You probably heard a line check where the techs test the instruments and the mixers adjust their sounds. Sometimes the techs will even play a song. 
    I am aware of that. Nevertheless, as far as I know the band usually does a soundcheck (for non festival shows at least).
    Even more so when you know how problematic they consider the sound in this specific hall.
    I can't imagine that they would have only done a line check this year after their experiences in 2014.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    We all know how disappointing these situations are, I experienced it in london also in 2018, but some of the comments in this thread are borderline ridiculous. 

Much of the decision making made in these scenarios are born out of contracts and insurance surely. 

I was thinking I'd happily take a few nights of acoustic shows in Amsterdam if it was kinder on the voice........I think they could go down as some of the most memorable shows of the year if that happened. But its unlikely given there are probably all kinds of things to consider before that could even go ahead
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    We love you Eddie, hope you’ll get better soon !
    It’s nothing anyone can rush, it can take some time to get better. 
    This shows how everyone and everything is somehow connected in this world.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I'm the one that brought that up in defense of PJ. Someone had said that they waited until the outdoor merch was sold out before they cancelled which is ridiculous. They moved the indoor merch to the outdoor tent AFTER cancelling.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Zootrum said:
    Zootrum said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Zootrum said:

Off to Prague.
    I am aware of that. Nevertheless, as far as I know the band usually does a soundcheck (for non festival shows at least).
    Even more so when you know how problematic they consider the sound in this specific hall.
    I can't imagine that they would have only done a line check this year after their experiences in 2014.
    EV wouldn't have to sing over a PA to know whether or not he could sing. He can sing in his hotel room and make a decision like that.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I'm the one that brought that up in defense of PJ. Someone had said that they waited until the outdoor merch was sold out before they cancelled which is ridiculous. They moved the indoor merch to the outdoor tent AFTER cancelling.
    If this refers to a statement of mine, for clarification: I said, cynically, one could conclude that....

But I did not imply that. I'm a big fan of this band not only for their music but also for the way they treat their fans, so I don't believe in that.

But if someone wants to tell me that yesterday's procedures was optimal in the light that the vocal problems had apparently been massive for days - regardless of who and which contracts are responsible for it - that's putting on a bit too much of a bow.  
  • Options
    Zootrum said:
    Zootrum said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Zootrum said:

Off to Prague.
    EV wouldn't have to sing over a PA to know whether or not he could sing. He can sing in his hotel room and make a decision like that.

Yes, but the band would have liked to know the conditions in the hall in case there would actually hade been a show, right?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,954
    Zootrum said:
    Zootrum said:
    Zootrum said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Zootrum said:

Off to Prague.

Yes, but the band would have liked to know the conditions in the hall in case there would actually hade been a show, right?
    In a perfect scenario, which this was not, perhaps. But after all this time I have no doubt Pearl Jam would have been able to play a show without any such prep by the band themselves. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,309
    Let’s turn the page and focus on Prague.  Putting this into the PJverse…I need confirmation about tomorrow by 6pm CEST today…powers that be, make it so.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    JPPJ84 said:
    True. I didn't get the white ladies shirt because they didn't have my size anymore but told me I could get it inside. If I had known they moved the inside merch out, I'd have lined up again.

Side note: the ladies shirts are ridiculously small cut this time. I have never in my life needed to buy anything in XL until yesterday and a friend couldn't buy any shirt she wanted because of that. But the men's shirts go up to several X's. Could we please get proper women's sizes on the (hopefully soon) next tour?

Also, does anyone know if we'll automatically get reimbursed for tickets bought via 10C?
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,984
    Let’s turn the page and focus on Prague.  Putting this into the PJverse…I need confirmation about tomorrow by 6pm CEST today…powers that be, make it so.  
    They wont say shit unfortunally which im sure will disappoint us fans...if they would re assure us that they show would go ahead im sure lots of people still stuck in vienna like myself would go the extra mile and go to prague tomorrow
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,172
    just_one said:
    They wont say shit unfortunally which im sure will disappoint us fans...if they would re assure us that they show would go ahead im sure lots of people still stuck in vienna like myself would go the extra mile and go to prague tomorrow

just_one said:

I have 10C Prague tickets and can't go would be good if on this one occasion they let people who missed vienna pick them up and use them
  • Options
    Sonja_S said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    True. I didn't get the white ladies shirt because they didn't have my size anymore but told me I could get it inside. If I had known they moved the inside merch out, I'd have lined up again.

Side note: the ladies shirts are ridiculously small cut this time. I have never in my life needed to buy anything in XL until yesterday and a friend couldn't buy any shirt she wanted because of that. But the men's shirts go up to several X's. Could we please get proper women's sizes on the (hopefully soon) next tour?

Also, does anyone know if we'll automatically get reimbursed for tickets bought via 10C?
    It's the same with men's shirts. I started buying XL a few years ago because L was hit or miss and now those don't fit. My size/weight has been the same for the last 10 years so it's not that I'm getting fatter.  XXL is definitely the same as XL a few years ago

• Options
    ImgonnalounickImgonnalounick Milwaukee Posts: 45
    Tough few years, I had Vegas tickets. Hang in there, better days coming!!! Fat Lou
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    Sonja_S said:
    JPPJ84 said:

It's the same with men's shirts. I started buying XL a few years ago because L was hit or miss and now those don't fit. My size/weight has been the same for the last 10 years so it's not that I'm getting fatter.  XXL is definitely the same as XL a few years ago

Good to know. I just asked a friend who was there yesterday as well which size her hubby got. He got XXL, she got M. Both of them are triathletes and she is tiny. Unfortunately, for women the sizes only went up to XL, so a lot of ladies are getting excluded from getting a memento (even if the show didn't take place).
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 306
    Anyone know if 10c tickets are refunded through 10c?
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    Does make one wonder how the "olds", Springsteen and McCartney are able to tour without many issues and play 25+ song sets
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    DL136722 said:
    Does make one wonder how the "olds", Springsteen and McCartney are able to tour without many issues and play 25+ song sets
    Ed's lost his voice twice.. shit happens.. let's not pretend it could never happen to others..

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018