Vinyl prices has reached its breaking point IMO

12346»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    Zod said:
    Loujoe said:
    I always regret selling anything. Never once said ,why did I keep this?

Haha I'm the same way.  At some point I'm going to have more of a storage issue, and I've only got so many hours a week to spin a record, but I love collecting and listening to them.   It never occurs to me sell them.  I've had a few duplicates I've given to a friend that also collection, and sometimes he returns the favour.   I think I would regret losing something out of the collection more than I do having bought it.

I think a lot of is I've been collecting since the 90s.  New releases were hard to find, so it was either the odd new release or discounted classic rock albums.  These last 10 years I've felt like a kid in a candy store with how much stuff gets pressed and how I've been able to buy lots of records I couldn't find back in the day.

All I ever think about is who to leave my collection to in my will, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    Loujoe said:
    I always regret selling anything. Never once said ,why did I keep this?

Haha I'm the same way.  At some point I'm going to have more of a storage issue, and I've only got so many hours a week to spin a record, but I love collecting and listening to them.   It never occurs to me sell them.  I've had a few duplicates I've given to a friend that also collection, and sometimes he returns the favour.   I think I would regret losing something out of the collection more than I do having bought it.

I think a lot of is I've been collecting since the 90s.  New releases were hard to find, so it was either the odd new release or discounted classic rock albums.  These last 10 years I've felt like a kid in a candy store with how much stuff gets pressed and how I've been able to buy lots of records I couldn't find back in the day.

All I ever think about is who to leave my collection to in my will, lol.
    Generally my wife gets first dibs, then one of my best friends gets the rest, but he's a few years older than me, so odds are, I need a plan B.    Maybe one of my nieces/nephews, or the kids of one of my best friends will show an interest one day.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    I need to go over to the "You know you're getting old when..." thread and write...
    "when younger people on the Pearl Jam fan site start talking about who they are going to leave their record collection to."

Or would that be the "You know you're getting really old when..." thread?  Haha!

Seriously though, that's a tough decision, and for those with a sizable question, a wise thing to be thinking about at some point. 
    I started by including in my trust one person young enough to be my grand-daughter, added another young enough to be my son, and a third young enough to be my grandson, all extended family people.  Thankfully all are reasonable people and I expect there will be no knife fights to break out when the divvying up commences. 
    I just hope at least one of them loves Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, and Sun Ra.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,742
    Whoooo? ;)
    edited August 2022
    Loujoe said:
    Whoooo? ;)

Biography of a bounder Keith Moon  Norton of Morton
    What are they talking about, Pete?

Why, these gents, of course, Keith:

Albert Ayler At The LSE 1966Ornette Coleman - Albums Songs and News  PitchforkAct Like You Know Sun Ra  A Blog Supreme  NPR
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    It’s not all bad news

Found this from an article from 2013 about AP’s UHQR’s being priced at $100 after they purchased the rights to the trademark 

“Is $100 expensive? Consider that Mobile Fidelity's UHQR LPs from the 1980s cost $50”

a 50 dollar mofi is $180 in todays dollars so both the UHQR and one steps are running behind inflation.  High end releases seem to be a relatively good deal historically at $150 AP and $125 mofi one step 

it’s still a lot of money, but not out of line 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited August 2022
    Was thinking mofi releases might drop in value with all the hullabaloo but seem to still be holding strong. You wonder if mofi stuff will become even more sought after because really a lot of them are still the best sounding version available.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    FR181798 said:
    Was thinking mofi releases might drop in value with all the hullabaloo but seem to still be holding strong. You wonder if mofi stuff will become even more sought after because really a lot of them are still the best sounding version available.
    Not sure if it’s the mastering with a digital step, the super Vinyl or what but the one steps win over AP UHQR in noise floor.  I only have a couple one steps, but in that area, they win. To me it’s not that close. Unless my experience is a statistical fluke or it’s because of the specific titles compared. Certainly not a scientific comparison 

actual audio quality, no idea since you can’t do a head to head of the same title 

bill evans live at the village vanguard is the only one step without a digital step.  That one will probably go through the roof.  It’s an amazing set, it’s a LE, and it’s the one unique one step 

its the mainline releases that are “a digital clone of a digital master” being sold not on the silver label but on the “original master recording” which is really going to get them in trouble. Probably legally.  That’s a flat out lie, vs deception by omission 
    Weezer Pinkerton for example 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,880
    I have come to the decision to get rid of a large chunk of my collection. Been in contact with a dude who owns a store, and he seems to pay pretty well. I think in the end I will have about 15-20 full record boxes to sell him in one transaction. I know I will get a bit less, but I'm tired of shipping out records one by one via Discogs. I think I will feel relieved after the sale. I will still have quite a few that I'm keeping.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    I have come to the decision to get rid of a large chunk of my collection. Been in contact with a dude who owns a store, and he seems to pay pretty well. I think in the end I will have about 15-20 full record boxes to sell him in one transaction. I know I will get a bit less, but I'm tired of shipping out records one by one via Discogs. I think I will feel relieved after the sale. I will still have quite a few that I'm keeping.

I sometimes hope I'll come across a buy like that so I can keep my little record section alive at the bookstore up here in Placerville.  But then I think about all the work and am less ambitious.  I wish I'd stated doing this thing earlier in my life!

brianlux said:

I sometimes hope I'll come across a buy like that so I can keep my little record section alive at the bookstore up here in Placerville.  But then I think about all the work and am less ambitious.  I wish I'd stated doing this thing earlier in my life!

Yah I feel pretty lucky I started my Vinyl collection around 96 or 97.  It was a slow burn at the beginning because most of the modern music I liked either didn't have vinyl pressings or I couldn't find them.. so it was a slowburn until about 2010ish when Vinyl started to pick up in popularity and things started getting press on vinyl.  Then its grown fairly consistently since then.  Still, no where near paying what Vinyl costs now.  I couldn't imagine starting a collection in this price climate.
  • In my life. The best time to but vinyl was 04-05. Could pick up a lot of fun stuff cheap from the US through eBay, and customs let through everything under $25 or whatever the amount was. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 08 I should have bought all those Misfits records I wanted.  They are 10x the price now...

I'll never own a Bullet 7".
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,880
    My first real record bought was Kiss Alive from Fedmart. I've been collecting records for a minute or two... =)

Yeah, I could have easily bought all of the Misfits 45s in the store. Didn't have the money to buy everything back then.

I have a feeling that a lot of these newer records commanding high prices, will not be worth nearly as much in the future as they are now. Some will retain value, but once the kids start families and start dumping their "vinyls" the market will be flooded with all of these "rare" pressings. We will see.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • My first real record bought was Kiss Alive from Fedmart. I've been collecting records for a minute or two... =)

Yeah, I could have easily bought all of the Misfits 45s in the store. Didn't have the money to buy everything back then.

I have a feeling that a lot of these newer records commanding high prices, will not be worth nearly as much in the future as they are now. Some will retain value, but once the kids start families and start dumping their "vinyls" the market will be flooded with all of these "rare" pressings. We will see.
    Exactly.  You have a band like The Oh See that produce them in hundreds, 300 for this one, 200 for that one.  All the major labels are producing them in the thousands.

Remember the first couple years of RSD?  The Dave Matthews Live Trax were under 1000.  They make like 7000 now if not more.
    I would gather this will happen to the older of us too, as we get older.   Downsize homes, move into small spaces, pass away.   If I live to be old I imagine it won't be easy to get rid of my collection.
  • Anyone see the prices on the GnR boxset for Use Your Illusion 1&2? 12 slabs of wax - $555 CDN on Amazon 😂😂😂.
    Bunch of trinkets and crap… nothing new. Really a pile of garbage. 

Now, Use Your Illusion II is a good record imo. The other one isn’t a good record. All filler. 

You would have to be a huge GnR fan (and potentially a completist) to want to fork over that kind of cash. The kicker, if you want to get two songs not in the LP boxset, you have to buy the CD boxset which is well over $300.  Whack! 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Anyone see the prices on the GnR boxset for Use Your Illusion 1&2? 12 slabs of wax - $555 CDN on Amazon 😂😂😂.

Now, Use Your Illusion II is a good record imo. The other one isn’t a good record. All filler. 

You would have to be a huge GnR fan (and potentially a completist) to want to fork over that kind of cash. The kicker, if you want to get two songs not in the LP boxset, you have to buy the CD boxset which is well over $300.  Whack! 
    Take the best from I and II and you could make one of the best albums of all time. It would rival Appetite.
    Anyone see the prices on the GnR boxset for Use Your Illusion 1&2? 12 slabs of wax - $555 CDN on Amazon 😂😂😂.

I really want the set for the 2 live concerts on vinyl, and the bluray.   Mostly the bluray, because it's really rare that classic concert films in bands hey dey's were put on film (many concerts filmed in the 80s/90s were on videotape).  It should look pretty amazing seeing an early 90s GNR concert in HD.

No way I'm paying $500.  If there's a sale or a discount I'll consider it the future.  i did buy the Metallica Black Album Boxset just to get the Live in Moscow vinyl, but that was only something like $200.
  • MedozK said:

Take the best from I and II and you could make one of the best albums of all time. It would rival Appetite.
    Arguable, but instead what you have is a bloated double album with a lot of filler. I have UYI I, can’t listen to it. No bueno.
    When I was younger I like UYI I better, but as I got older I appreciated UYI II more and more. I can easily play UYI II front to back, I don't usually make it through UYI I :)
    Zod said:

brianlux said:

Yah I feel pretty lucky I started my Vinyl collection around 96 or 97.  It was a slow burn at the beginning because most of the modern music I liked either didn't have vinyl pressings or I couldn't find them.. so it was a slowburn until about 2010ish when Vinyl started to pick up in popularity and things started getting press on vinyl.  Then its grown fairly consistently since then.  Still, no where near paying what Vinyl costs now.  I couldn't imagine starting a collection in this price climate.

If I had to start over, I would have to go full Zen/ full acceptance of reality and be happy with a much smaller collection. Unless I won the lottery.  :lol:

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    MedozK said:

Arguable, but instead what you have is a bloated double album with a lot of filler. I have UYI I, can’t listen to it. No bueno.

I love them both just the way they are. No filler as far as I'm concerned.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    edited November 2022
    Don't know if I have ever listened through them... The singles on heavy rotation through my youth were enough.

The original release of the blue one goes for 25 dollars at my local record store (2x LPS). GnR Lies for the same price. Should I buy?

SHE'S NOT MY MOTHER TODD!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Zod said:

I really want the set for the 2 live concerts on vinyl, and the bluray.   Mostly the bluray, because it's really rare that classic concert films in bands hey dey's were put on film (many concerts filmed in the 80s/90s were on videotape).  It should look pretty amazing seeing an early 90s GNR concert in HD.

No way I'm paying $500.  If there's a sale or a discount I'll consider it the future.  i did buy the Metallica Black Album Boxset just to get the Live in Moscow vinyl, but that was only something like $200.
    There will be a sale at some point. I got the appetite for destruction loaded box set which was originally a grand for under $200 a few years back. At holiday time they were marking it down drastically and this one will be no different.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:

I love them both just the way they are. No filler as far as I'm concerned.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. UYI I is vastly inferior to my ears. I bought both copies of the wax because I couldn’t remember which one was the good album. Played I first and about four songs in, remembered that it wasn’t that one. 

I think there are two good songs on I, but I’m not listening again to find out, too many other great records to spin 

• Chinese Democracy is way underrated though. 

Have played that more than any other GnR album since 2008. Might have played the live album more. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,648
    Don't know if I have ever listened through them... The singles on heavy rotation through my youth were enough.

The original release of the blue one goes for 25 dollars at my local record store (2x LPS). GnR Lies for the same price. Should I buy?

yes
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

yes