Options

Vinyl prices has reached its breaking point IMO

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    About 6 months ago I was in a store and the y had some albums that I was looking through and came across KISS' Destroyer.  I have been wanting a new copy of it but the price was $50.  

No thanks.  I put it right back.
    The 45 year anniversary edittion?
    Not sure.  I don't recall that being on the hype sticker?  It wasn't 6 months ago either, my mistake, it was before the pandemic.  6 Months ago I purchased the resurrected version.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    FR181798 said:
    I started collecting properly around late nineties by buying stuff that was vinyl only and then around the early 2000s it was really fun to collect records. It wasn't an overly popular past time. Could find stuff at record fairs and new albums at reasonable prices. I was never really into proper vintage vinyl, I had a few Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young records and a lot of Clash records.

It was exciting buying a record and there wasn't new stuff out every week I wanted but now it's so marketed. I feel tricked into wanting things I don't really want to buy. Almost every time I purchase something now I just feel annoyed at the cost and it ruins the experience. I don't believe the values on discogs but even the lowest value of my collection is pretty eye watering for me. I look at all this "stuff" and think how am I ever going to get rid of it. The effort alone will be monumental. 20+ years of collecting. My kids show no interest. Ive told myself if I ever lose my job I'm just going to take some time and sell all of this. I'm pretty sure though one day I'll have had enough and just donate the whole lot to charity.

Ultimately at the moment I just need to be more disciplined and more selective. I can't just stop overnight.
    I started collecting maybe 2004 it was fun then and did it for a number of years. 

Then I moved overseas and didn’t take my records so I had a 9 year gap.  Moved back a few years ago and started again and everything had changed.  It’s like when rip van winkle took a nap and woke up years later

not sure the sheer volume of choices now is necessarily for the better.  It is nice that current music is now on vinyl as that wasn’t the case in the 2000’s, but it’s so hit and miss with quality it’s probably harder today as it’s way easier to spend a lot more money on something that sounds indistinguishable from the cd 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've finally been priced out. I might even start selling some off. I really liked the idea of it; but I just don't sit and listen to music at home as much as I wished I could, or as I used to be able to. I'm about 95% digital listening now. It is what it is. 

I think I'm going to go back to my original intention; only buy vinyl that is only available on that format. Everything else is digital and possibly some cd's. 

You might regret a sell off once your kids are older and you have more time on your hands to spin them! ;)
    You're right. I have absolutely thought about that. It's for sure a consideration. Being busy is the main factor. It has nothing to do with it being "cool" or "retro" as someone else said. I'm a physical media guy. I love looking at the artwork, the act of flipping the record, and of course the sound. It's simply cost + viability = worth. I'm also getting to the point in my life where I hate having so much "stuff" if it's just sitting on a shelf. 

My dad recently lent me his Beatles vinyl collection, and it got me so fired up to that band that I never really found before just listening to them on digital. it's just different. But I have a very small house, a limited budget, etc etc. If I'm not priced out, I'm definitely "roomed" out already. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    FR181798 said:
    I started collecting properly around late nineties by buying stuff that was vinyl only and then around the early 2000s it was really fun to collect records. It wasn't an overly popular past time. Could find stuff at record fairs and new albums at reasonable prices. I was never really into proper vintage vinyl, I had a few Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young records and a lot of Clash records.

It was exciting buying a record and there wasn't new stuff out every week I wanted but now it's so marketed. I feel tricked into wanting things I don't really want to buy. Almost every time I purchase something now I just feel annoyed at the cost and it ruins the experience. I don't believe the values on discogs but even the lowest value of my collection is pretty eye watering for me. I look at all this "stuff" and think how am I ever going to get rid of it. The effort alone will be monumental. 20+ years of collecting. My kids show no interest. Ive told myself if I ever lose my job I'm just going to take some time and sell all of this. I'm pretty sure though one day I'll have had enough and just donate the whole lot to charity.

Ultimately at the moment I just need to be more disciplined and more selective. I can't just stop overnight.

"Vintage vinyl", FR?  You're making me feel old:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    Three records purchased yesterday. 2 new and 1 used.  $87. I’m out for sure.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    brianlux said:

You know what I mean though right.
    I always thought that old stuff would always be in the racks of used record stores, it wasn't going anywhere and so I concentrated on getting new releases, White Stripes, PJ etc that were truly limited then.

I feel old when I look back to the 90s, the whole punk era of the Clash etc was closer to that time than the 90s are to now. 

• Options
    You can chose 20 records to keep and have to get rid of the rest and get no money for them. How do you pick that 20?
    Favourite records.
    Most valuable.
    Most limited.
    Sentimental.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I knew eventually somebody would defend themselves (without provocation) that they didn’t get into vinyl because it was cool or retro. Lol
  • Options
    I knew eventually somebody would defend themselves (without provocation) that they didn’t get into vinyl because it was cool or retro. Lol
    it wasn't a "defence". it was a clarifcation that I, and I'm sure many many others, don't fit into your neat little black and white box of vinyl purists. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Not sure what you mean. Just saying I was never in a rush to buy old 60s,70s,80s records as I used to see original copies of Led Zep 3 etc for about £5 every time I was in my local used store in the late 90s early 00s. The place I would go for new records might get like 1 copy of a new record in so I would buy those records. Of course I liked the retro factor but also the fact they weren't beat up. The only time I bought used records were if they were in great condition. The place I used to go was really smelly with beat up sleeves. Most of their records didn't really appeal and so I would practically disinfect anything used I bought. At that point 90s records were less than a decade old so were in much better condition. Siamese Dream for £5.99 and Bossanova for £5.99 stand out.
  • Options
    it's also gotten really frustrating as buying vinyl can be a complete gamble if you aren't an expert with which vinyl plants make good pressings or not. spending a lot of money on a record only for it to sound like trash is irritating. I don't know if this is a new thing or something that has always been an issue, but either way....never had a nirvana cd with mariah carey on it. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited June 2022
    This thread has actually sealed it for me, I've got LO2L Gold coming, Smashing Pumpkins Rubano Tapes and PJ Vault 2 later in the year. Apart from hopefully picking up Earthling cheaper than it is I'm going to try leave it at that for this year. 

Edit: I forgot I have Pixies Doggerel coming as well...sigh and not ordered but that Dinosaur Jr EP was on my radar as well. That's it 1 a month, I can do this.  

I like instagram but it's pretty shocking, I see people with small record collections that have just started collecting but they seem to be picking up new records every other day and posting them. I just want to tell them to slow the heck down. I wouldn't encourage anyone to start collecting now. If I wasn't 20+ years into this I wouldnt be collecting.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    You can chose 20 records to keep and have to get rid of the rest and get no money for them. How do you pick that 20?
    Favourite records.
    Most valuable.
    Most limited.
    Sentimental.
    All my Fixer records are outta here!!!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    That is almost a tank of gas.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    FR181798 said:
    Favourite records.
    Most valuable.
    Most limited.
    Sentimental.
    Favorite albums only. the rest goes
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:

You know what I mean though right.
    I always thought that old stuff would always be in the racks of used record stores, it wasn't going anywhere and so I concentrated on getting new releases, White Stripes, PJ etc that were truly limited then.

I feel old when I look back to the 90s, the whole punk era of the Clash etc was closer to that time than the 90s are to now. 

Yeah, for sure.  Just poking fun at myself, really. :smile:
    I know what you mean though.  Albums that came out in the 60's, 70's, at least the first half of the 80's were pressed in huge numbers.  I guess we thought they would always be around.  But then a fair number were abused to the point of unplayable, or lost to floods and fires and such, and also- hate to say it- have been hoarded by retired boomers.  I have about 1,000 LPs and I feel a bit like a hoarder (only I have slowed down and do occasionally cull things I know I won't ever listen to again).   There are guys on other music sites who boast about having several thousand- even tens of thousands- of LPs. 
    And then there's the Brazilian fellow named José Roberto "Zero" Alves Freitas who reportedly has a record collection numbering over 8 million discs.  That'll tie up a bit of vinyl!
    Zro Freitas and his million of vinyl records - Vinyl Record Blog

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    For me, my first records where when I was in elementary school. My first album was the Beatles red one. Vinyl was really the only choice then. When I was in high school I worked at record store and picked up a ton of records with my employee discount. I moved them to college, and various apartments. Then I got into CDs and really stopped listening to my records. I still kept them, but hadn't listened to them in years. I have a massive CD collection (which I now also haven't listed to in years either since I digitized almost all of them). It was during the pandemic that I started hanging out at this shop on my block. They mostly sell rock T-shirts, but also had a small used record area in the back. I started looking through the bins and whoosh - it was like I felt like I did when I was younger looking through record bins. It was so much fun. I still had all my old records. I bought a turntable and after the stores started opening again - every Sunday I walked to five record stores that were in my area and started buying records again - mostly used records from bands from the 60s-80s that I never got the first time around. Doing that during the pandemic was so good for my mental health - getting out, socializing with people (I became friendly with the people who worked at the stores). Sometimes I had to wait in line to get in because they were limiting the number of people, etc. Since the pandemic I have probably bought around 150 records. I have gone from the cheaper used bins to paying some serious money for a few of them. Now, that I have most of what I want from the used bins, it has become a lot more expensive. It really is addicting though. But since I work at home, I now listen to records when I work, rather than music on my computer or phone. I also learned about Discogs and different pressings, and versions, and limited editions from people on this forum. I have been totally sucked in, and I love it. Now I just have to upgrade my stereo system.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    GlowGirl said:
    I also learned about Discogs and different pressings, and versions, and limited editions from people on this forum. I have been totally sucked in, and I love it. Now I just have to upgrade my stereo system.
    It is a rabbit hole, but above all enjoy the music.
  • Options
    It's good you are enjoying vinyl @GlowGirl
    My collection is 1000+ but its nowhere near as excessive as a lot I see and I've got rid of loads. I used to absolutely love buying records. The buzz of what you might find was fantastic but I've never loved records/music as much as I did when I was in my early teens and just had a few CDs. Back then I was so restrained with what I bought. Everything I bought was so precious. The more you have, the less you value it.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    My black and white box 😂
    sheesh… the examples weren’t an exhaustive list. 

• Options
    edited June 2022
    MedozK said:
    Less than a 1/2 of a tank (in Canadian dollars) in my 2016 F-150 north of the border. Tank of gas is gone forever. The vinyl is here to stay.  
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    My collection is 1000+ but its nowhere near as excessive as a lot I see and I've got rid of loads. I used to absolutely love buying records. The buzz of what you might find was fantastic but I've never loved records/music as much as I did when I was in my early teens and just had a few CDs. Back then I was so restrained with what I bought. Everything I bought was so precious. The more you have, the less you value it.
    That’s a lot. 

I maybe have half that, maybe.  Doesn’t matter though as I do the same thing with records as clothes. I could have 500 pairs of jeans, I’m only wearing my favorite few though. 

At some point with records it’s the same, I’m never ever listening to the bottom half of the collection no matter how big or small it is 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    FR181798 said:
    That’s a lot. 

I maybe have half that, maybe.  Doesn’t matter though as I do the same thing with records as clothes. I could have 500 pairs of jeans, I’m only wearing my favorite few though. 

At some point with records it’s the same, I’m never ever listening to the bottom half of the collection no matter how big or small it is 

see this is where discogs comes in with the random selection choice. thats my playlist when I spin....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:
    That’s a lot. 

see this is where discogs comes in with the random selection choice. thats my playlist when I spin....
    yeah. You’ve got to have some way to just not forget about stuff. That makes sense 
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,349
     I’m not sure where to point the blame on the cost of records nowadays but am I the only who’s suspicious of the past sales info on Discogs? There always seems to be one sale for any given release that is at least double the average that pumps up the high value mark on your collection. I feel that it misleads collectors into thinking  that records are a good investment (buy more!) when they see that high value number.  They’re not a good investment unless you got started a long, long time ago, bought correctly, and kept your stuff pristine . I’m 53 and started collecting when I was 12. I have a pretty modest collection and couldn’t fathom starting a record collection of any type now. No way. It’s worse than putting your money into $20 new CDs back in the day. 
  • Options
     I’m not sure where to point the blame on the cost of records nowadays but am I the only who’s suspicious of the past sales info on Discogs? There always seems to be one sale for any given release that is at least double the average that pumps up the high value mark on your collection. I feel that it misleads collectors into thinking  that records are a good investment (buy more!) when they see that high value number.  They’re not a good investment unless you got started a long, long time ago, bought correctly, and kept your stuff pristine . I’m 53 and started collecting when I was 12. I have a pretty modest collection and couldn’t fathom starting a record collection of any type now. No way. It’s worse than putting your money into $20 new CDs back in the day. 
    Yeah values on discogs are hard to believe.  Doesn't take much to skew the value of something. Even the median can seem quite off some times. I'd be over the moon to get the lowest valuation. Put it this way. I checked my total collection about 1 month apart and it shot up about €5000 with me only adding a couple of records. 

In terms of resale value, depends what you buy and what you pay but a lot are holding their value or will sell for a little less but the real collectible stuff pushes it higher. Majority of CDs however seems like you would struggle to give them away here anyway.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    MedozK said:
    That’s about one brand new record here in Australia. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    I’m certainly no collector, however I’ve recently started purchasing my favourite albums on vinyl. I have all PJ albums except LB and have about 20 of my other favourites from different artists. It’s not a cheap exercise! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    I’m certainly no collector, however I’ve recently started purchasing my favourite albums on vinyl. I have all PJ albums except LB and have about 20 of my other favourites from different artists. It’s not a cheap exercise! 

its all import there , yes? No in country pressing plants?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I somehow managed to collect every hardcore record that isn't worth a nickel from my teens, lol.