Options

Vinyl prices has reached its breaking point IMO

I understand that they are now selling to people who "want/collect vinyl" and not "people who want music", and that the market is smaller.

But looking through the local record store (here in Sweden sure, so more expensive than other places) and finding these prices:

Taylor Swift - Lover  - $33
New Pixies (1 LP) - $33
Live on two Legs - $42
RSD My Morning Jacket (1 LP) - $30
Some new Leonard Cohen greatest hits - $45

While CD's keep the same price (pretty much) as 20 years ago.

I will keep buying a select few Neil Young releases, and I guess I'm somewhat stuck with Pearl Jam (even with their highly cynical colored re-releases) but other than that, I will stick with streaming.

It is just too expensive to buy new releases on wax.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    I haven’t gone to a RSD In like 5 years. Prices were up and so was the print runs. Unless it’s a new release or something I have to have I don’t bother. 

I just cancelled my VMP membership because the cost didn’t justify the product anymore. 

Every OhSees record that comes out I’ll be buying though!!!
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    I agree it’s too much.

however I also haven’t seen vinyl prices going up at the same rate as a lot of other things over the past 6-8 months either

from what I remember from years ago Sweden wasn’t as expensive as Norway though. I still remember getting charged 40 bucks for two servings of Ben and Jerry’s in Olso about 8 years ago. That’s a double LP right there. It was crazy
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
    I turn 47 today. I’m having lunch with my daughter and then we are hitting record stores around the city. Can’t wait but I’m fearful for my wallet.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    In Australia you pay $50-$100 for brand new vinyl. Actually you pay that much for most vinyl. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,983
    I turn 47 today. I’m having lunch with my daughter and then we are hitting record stores around the city. Can’t wait but I’m fearful for my wallet.
    Happy Birthday!! Have fun. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,310
    It's not great, but I think vinyl also costs more to produce than cd's.    Plus the equipment is limited.   I think most pressing plant's out there use older equipment from when vinyl was first popular (there's only one plant I've heard of that made new equipment). The limited scope puts pressing plant's at a premium (given it take a year to get something pressed).  I think pressing plants are probably taking advantage of the pent up demand.

I guess it hasn't hit the point that I've slowed down on my buying.  I am happy I've been collecting for 25 years so I haven't bought all of it at modern more expensive prices.  It would be super expensive to start a collection now.

Remembering how hard it was to find new vinyl in the 90s and 00s.... I still haven't gotten over the fact how easy it is to find stuff now.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Zod said:
    It's not great, but I think vinyl also costs more to produce than cd's.    Plus the equipment is limited.   I think most pressing plant's out there use older equipment from when vinyl was first popular (there's only one plant I've heard of that made new equipment). The limited scope puts pressing plant's at a premium (given it take a year to get something pressed).  I think pressing plants are probably taking advantage of the pent up demand.

I guess it hasn't hit the point that I've slowed down on my buying.  I am happy I've been collecting for 25 years so I haven't bought all of it at modern more expensive prices.  It would be super expensive to start a collection now.

Remembering how hard it was to find new vinyl in the 90s and 00s.... I still haven't gotten over the fact how easy it is to find stuff now.

It’s a sellers market for vinyl for sure cd’s are the reverse. 

TBH I’m more frustrated by the fact most of this demand has to be among buyers who just want a vinyl record no matter the quality and are probably playing it on crappy equipment so they wouldn’t notice anyway.  We aren’t getting better quality for these higher prices. It’s probably lower quality and paying more for it. 

id way rather pay 60-70 for an AP release than 40 for most of this other stuff.  At 40-50 for Lo2L with tax and shipping the value isn’t there 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    I agree it’s too much.

however I also haven’t seen vinyl prices going up at the same rate as a lot of other things over the past 6-8 months either

from what I remember from years ago Sweden wasn’t as expensive as Norway though. I still remember getting charged 40 bucks for two servings of Ben and Jerry’s in Olso about 8 years ago. That’s a double LP right there. It was crazy
    Isn't Tokyo and Oslo considered to be the two most expensive cities in the world? So yes, it is quite a bit more expensive than Sweden.

But 40 dollars for ice cream seems a bit aggressive... you sure you didn't walk into some Michelin awarded restaurant? haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I agree it’s too much.

Isn't Tokyo and Oslo considered to be the two most expensive cities in the world? So yes, it is quite a bit more expensive than Sweden.

But 40 dollars for ice cream seems a bit aggressive... you sure you didn't walk into some Michelin awarded restaurant? haha.
    We lived in London at the time. Not exactly a cheap city. Norway was on a whole different level.  I’d hate to see what their record store prices are 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    Great time to start selling off a collection. 
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited June 2022
    Agree prices are very high and too much but I've thought that for a long time. Every so often I trim my collection down, get rid of doubles. I'm getting a bit more savvy about what "limited editions" I buy. Vinyl has also become a bit like CDs in that a few months after release there are special offers. 

I've started holding off on anything that doesn't appear super limited. I've had a few records recently where the price has seemed much more sensible.
    Killers Pressure Machine new for £13.99. Band of Horses for £17.99 etc. Even NY Carnegie Hall seemed okay at £21.99. Also I mentioned in another thread but hmv here had Lightning Bolt for £8.99 a few months ago. 

I think its these records where they slap a price of £35 -£45 for a double LP from new that annoy me most.

Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,859
    edited June 2022
    I've finally been priced out. I might even start selling some off. I really liked the idea of it; but I just don't sit and listen to music at home as much as I wished I could, or as I used to be able to. I'm about 95% digital listening now. It is what it is. 

I think I'm going to go back to my original intention; only buy vinyl that is only available on that format. Everything else is digital and possibly some cd's. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I've finally been priced out. I might even start selling some off. I really liked the idea of it; but I just don't sit and listen to music at home as much as I wished I could, or as I used to be able to. I'm about 95% digital listening now. It is what it is. 

I think I'm going to go back to my original intention; only buy vinyl that is only available on that format. Everything else is digital and possibly some cd's. 
    I'm thinking of selling a lot of my collection as I am pretty sure there is a couple thousand bucks there.  I have no sentimental attachment and can keep a handful of newer records that I really like that just don't have huge resale value.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,859
    static111 said:

I'm thinking of selling a lot of my collection as I am pretty sure there is a couple thousand bucks there.  I have no sentimental attachment and can keep a handful of newer records that I really like that just don't have huge resale value.  
    my problem is I constantly flip flop on what I want. I have bought and sold so many records that I regretted selling only to repurchase at an inflated price and then regret buying it again....if I sell it again....will I regret it again? right away...no. In 6 months? who knows. 

I recently bought Lost Dogs here for about $600 CDN. which is really quite insane for a damn record who's music I can access digitally or on compact disc. But I'm a completist. I have the rest of the studio albums on vinyl. So I have to have this one. that's so dumb (and I stopped short of buying the greatest hits records). I bought the ten and vs/vitalogy super deluxes TWICE. the first vs/vitalogy SD came with Vault 1 on cd as a bonus. I sold that too. which I now regret, but it costs an insane amount to buy now (for a cd). I have it now on vinyl, but I haven't opened it in case I have more buyer's remorse. 

but why do I have vault 1 on vinyl but no other vaults? do i have to track them all down now too? or sell all my damn vinyl and go to see the band live?

to sum up....I just want to be normal again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:

my problem is I constantly flip flop on what I want. I have bought and sold so many records that I regretted selling only to repurchase at an inflated price and then regret buying it again....if I sell it again....will I regret it again? right away...no. In 6 months? who knows. 

I recently bought Lost Dogs here for about $600 CDN. which is really quite insane for a damn record who's music I can access digitally or on compact disc. But I'm a completist. I have the rest of the studio albums on vinyl. So I have to have this one. that's so dumb (and I stopped short of buying the greatest hits records). I bought the ten and vs/vitalogy super deluxes TWICE. the first vs/vitalogy SD came with Vault 1 on cd as a bonus. I sold that too. which I now regret, but it costs an insane amount to buy now (for a cd). I have it now on vinyl, but I haven't opened it in case I have more buyer's remorse. 

but why do I have vault 1 on vinyl but no other vaults? do i have to track them all down now too? or sell all my damn vinyl and go to see the band live?

to sum up....I just want to be normal again. 
    Hey I just bought the lo2l reissue that I had and sold and wasn't gonna buy, because it is Gold, so I know how you feel
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    It's definitely getting up there.  There are always going to be a few new things I'll get in vinyl but lately, I'm more prone to scouring the internet (a friend of mine told me, "It's about time someone cleaned it up") for good deals.  They're out there, but it takes a lot of time and persistence to dig them out (and hope the seller is accurate in grading).
    I remember when my vinyl collection reached the a total of 50 albums and I thought I owned the world of music.  Now at around 1,000 LPs, I'm really scaling back on investing in vinyl.  Kind of a first world problem, ya know?  If every human on earth had 1,000 albums there would need to be a total of almost 8 trillion LPs.  That's a lot of crude oil (they are petroleum after all, not wax).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2022
    Vinyl is my favourite way to listen to music. For the folks who got into it because it was cool or retro or prefer the convenience of digital, it may be a “breaking point”. But for those of us who simply love the experience and it is our favourite past time, we will continue to buy wax. 

I’m slowing down on purchases, but it’s mainly because I have a lot of albums and my wantlist is considerably smaller than it once was so I’m more selective at what I am buying. I’m also trying to avoid, for the most part, purchasing records online choosing instead to support local record shops for both new and used records. Shipping costs are becoming a deterrent. 10 club vinyl or Club Bastardo vinyl… What choice do I have? 

Having fun with the hunt. Like digging at local record stores… never know what you can find. 
  • Options
    Vinyl is my favourite way to listen to music. For the folks who got into it because it was cool or retro or prefer the convenience of digital, it may be a “breaking point”. But for those of us who simply love the experience and it is our favourite past time, we will continue to buy wax. 

I’m slowing down on purchases, but it’s mainly because I have a lot of albums and my wantlist is considerably smaller than it once was so I’m more selective at what I am buying. I’m also trying to avoid, for the most part, purchasing records online choosing instead to support local record shops for both new and used records. Shipping costs are becoming a deterrent. 10 club vinyl or Club Bastardo vinyl… What choice do I have? 

Having fun with the hunt. Like digging at local record stores… never know what you can find. 

Nicely said, 1T! 
    I find it odd that some folks shell out big bucks for vinyl LPs simply because it is a popular thing, or cool, or retro.  I wonder if they appreciate the true qualities of a good vinyl LP?   I mean, it's their money and I wouldn't tell anyone what to do with it, I just don't get it.  The big draw back to the trendy side of the popularity is that pressing plants are backed up and it can take an album as much as 8 months in queue to get pressed.  And then some run out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641

You might regret a sell off once your kids are older and you have more time on your hands to spin them! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,876
    I always regret selling anything. Never once said ,why did I keep this?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Loujoe said:
    I’ve sold a few of my duplicates recently. Then promptly scratched a record which was the entire point of the extras I no longer have 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,310
    Loujoe said:

Haha I'm the same way.  At some point I'm going to have more of a storage issue, and I've only got so many hours a week to spin a record, but I love collecting and listening to them.   It never occurs to me sell them.  I've had a few duplicates I've given to a friend that also collection, and sometimes he returns the favour.   I think I would regret losing something out of the collection more than I do having bought it.

I think a lot of is I've been collecting since the 90s.  New releases were hard to find, so it was either the odd new release or discounted classic rock albums.  These last 10 years I've felt like a kid in a candy store with how much stuff gets pressed and how I've been able to buy lots of records I couldn't find back in the day.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Loujoe said:

When CDs came out, for some dumb reason I fell for the whole deal and sold off a bunch of my records.  I can't tell you how many times I said to myself, "Why did I sell that?"  Over the last 20 years or so, I've re-purchased many of those I regretted selling.  Only a few remain to be brought back into the fold (so to speak)- things I originally paid six or eight bucks for new, and of course, they are now outrageously expensive now. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,311
    I'm definitely a lot more selective with my vinyl purchases these days. A lot of that is down to the price of vinyl, but also shipping costs to Australia are crazy.
    There are only a handful of artists that I buy every release on vinyl (Neil, PJ, Mark Lanegan, Lou Barlow/Sebadoh, maybe 1 or 2 others). 10 or 15 years ago I might have been chasing down every limited release or side project (and been really annoyed if I missed out) but those days are long gone.
    There will be the odd occasion where I go looking for a specific record, but usually only if I already love the album and want to be able to spin it, otherwise I'll go for digital.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,597
    Great time to start selling off a collection. 
    I started buying vinyl after the Ten Super Deluxe came out and had to get a record player to play Drop In the Park. I have little time to listen to most of the stuff I’ve collected the last 12 years or so on vinyl. Mostly CDs in the car. But most of that early stuff has gone up 5 or 10x in value. A album I bought for $20 is now worth $200 or $300, which makes it hard to unseal. I keep what I have thinking I’ll listen more when I’m retired, but maybe I’ll be deaf then or not like noise lol.  It’s a nice feeling though when your collection blows the used record store inventory out of the water.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I started collecting properly around late nineties by buying stuff that was vinyl only and then around the early 2000s it was really fun to collect records. It wasn't an overly popular past time. Could find stuff at record fairs and new albums at reasonable prices. I was never really into proper vintage vinyl, I had a few Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young records and a lot of Clash records.

It was exciting buying a record and there wasn't new stuff out every week I wanted but now it's so marketed. I feel tricked into wanting things I don't really want to buy. Almost every time I purchase something now I just feel annoyed at the cost and it ruins the experience. I don't believe the values on discogs but even the lowest value of my collection is pretty eye watering for me. I look at all this "stuff" and think how am I ever going to get rid of it. The effort alone will be monumental. 20+ years of collecting. My kids show no interest. Ive told myself if I ever lose my job I'm just going to take some time and sell all of this. I'm pretty sure though one day I'll have had enough and just donate the whole lot to charity.

Ultimately at the moment I just need to be more disciplined and more selective. I can't just stop overnight.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,981
    I’m about done now too. I only buy albums I really love or releases from a select few artists. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    About 6 months ago I was in a store and the y had some albums that I was looking through and came across KISS' Destroyer.  I have been wanting a new copy of it but the price was $50.  

No thanks.  I put it right back.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    About 6 months ago I was in a store and the y had some albums that I was looking through and came across KISS' Destroyer.  I have been wanting a new copy of it but the price was $50.  

No thanks.  I put it right back.
    The 45 year anniversary edittion?