Options

Vinyl prices has reached its breaking point IMO

Comments

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited July 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    figure location plays as much a role as everything else, taxes, import fees etc...

also the seller plays their role too. are these independent shops or corporate type chains?
    I guess all these Earthling LPs may be US pressed and imported to UK and EU which is why the cost is higher than usual. Both independent and Corp chains selling for anything between £35 - £40. This suggests if they aren't imports that the cost may be inflated by the label or distributer before it reaches shops.

If you look at a record like the Siamese Dream reissue that was pressed again recently, if you can get one, even in the US it's almost being sold at a Secondary market type price, probably because demand is extremely high.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    FR181798 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    figure location plays as much a role as everything else, taxes, import fees etc...

also the seller plays their role too. are these independent shops or corporate type chains?
    I guess all these Earthling LPs may be US pressed and imported to UK and EU which is why the cost is higher than usual. Both independent and Corp chains selling for anything between £35 - £40. This suggests if they aren't imports that the cost may be inflated by the label or distributer before it reaches shops.

If you look at a record like the Siamese Dream reissue that was pressed again recently, if you can get one, even in the US it's almost being sold at a Secondary market type price, probably because demand is extremely high.
    EV is $39.99 here at amazon and at target.  on republic records which is a umg company.
    so my guess is its label, artist, distributor and retail(much smaller mark up?)
    could be an example of this one song I heard, Green Disease?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:
    mickeyrat said:

EV is $39.99 here at amazon and at target.  on republic records which is a umg company.
    so my guess is its label, artist, distributor and retail(much smaller mark up?)
    could be an example of this one song I heard, Green Disease?

I guess it's a case of just accepting that's the price or just not buy it. Wait long enough and Earthling may come down a bit but unless the label/ distributer starts offering it at a lower price to shops it won't be by a lot. I've not seen records disappear from shelves as quickly these days so maybe in time. Maybe I'm not being realistic but surely Earthling should have been a £25 ($30) record max.

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    Who eats the cost of a return? Is it at the retail end or are they reimbursed by the distributor, the pressing plant, the label? 

I would suspect returns on vinyl are a huge loss for someone.  I think I have returned 1 record in my life but reading reviews online etc it seems people routinely do it for any number of issues… a dinged corner, they don’t know how to clean it, or whatever 

I would suspect CD returns are non existent in comparison 

I tend to be ok with bigger margins for that reason.
    I also tend to think popular music attracts the kind of mass market buyer more likely to return it since most of the issues are user error and those are the casual vinyl listeners

The higher the price goes, the more perfect the buyer expects it to be. It’s probably not a good cycle
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,937
    edited July 2022
    retail eats it. In fact, they can't even return the records. 

Unless you're Amazon. They have a return policy and it includes records. And Amazon is big enough so they go to the labels and say 'fuck you, take these back'. And the labels, who sell a shit ton through Amazon, say OK. So they then have to build in Amazon return costs into pricing of new records know x% will be returned to them (which I assume they give away or destroy). 

So its a it that, a bit gouging and a bit of increased production costs. It sucks but thats where we are.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    *unless theres a band or label who wants to make things right when theres production issues (like Lightning Bolt). Then returns happen.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Because we don't have a store nearby that sells new LPs. whenever possible, I purchase new LPs by favorite bands either from the band's store (i.e Neil Young's "The Greedy Hand") or the label that puts out their work (i.e Juliana Hatfield via "American Laundromat Records" or Dead Moon via Mississippi Records, etc.).  My experience that way is that returns are not necessary (with only one exception and the label simply sent me another copy).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Slightly off topic but everything I've received from 10c US over the past few years has been perfect. The mailers they use seem to be amongst the sturdiest I've seen.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    They have very good mailers. I order a ton of records and I know my mailers. I should do a mailer ranking. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    They have very good mailers. I order a ton of records and I know my mailers. I should do a mailer ranking. 
    Acoustic sounds. Best mailers I’ve ever seen 
  • Options
    Agreed. No one better
  • Options
    Agreed. No one better

Also agreed.  They're fantastic!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,435
    Vinyl prices spinning out of control...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Just browsing Amazon UK today, seeing if any deals although I'm not meant to be buying vinyl. Despite crazy prices on some new releases I did stumble across a number of really good and fairly recent releases for around £15 and under that are maybe 6 months old. It makes you think that it's that FOMO and demand that's driving prices up a bit as well. If we left all this stuff sitting on the shelves then it's going to drop in price. I'm part of the problem here because I always try to get within the first few months so I don't end up with a copy that's moved around a warehouse lots, not really sure if that happens or not but it does in my head. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    I think the other issue is the lag time on pressing vinyl. It's almost a year.  So if you don't buy something before it goes OOP, who knows how long you might have to wait until someone bothers to press it again.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I think the other issue is the lag time on pressing vinyl. It's almost a year.  So if you don't buy something before it goes OOP, who knows how long you might have to wait until someone bothers to press it again.

Good point!  And I hate to say  it (because I have based some purchases on this) but it is also a good selling strategy.  I'm not meaning to imply that this is an intentional selling strategy- more than anything, it's a consequence of current situations- but it does prompt a good number of pre-order.  Exactly how I ended up with Toast (but SO GLAD I did).

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Target had a bunch of 50% off last week and I picked up 8 exclusive colored LPs. I’m a sucker for colored vinyl.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    FR181798 said:
    You can chose 20 records to keep and have to get rid of the rest and get no money for them. How do you pick that 20?
    Favourite records.
    Most valuable.
    Most limited.
    Sentimental.
    Most valuable. Because if I only get to keep 20, I'm gonna sell those. No sense giving up the rest of my collection just to keep 20. I'll just dump the whole lot and take whatever cash I can salvage.

Sad part is with only 20, I'd still have to give up quite a few 3-digit items.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    who is going to make me choose 20 records only?  It's taken me over 25 years to build my collection.  If someone gave me that ultimatum, I wouldn't say a word.  I'd just walk away.

That being said, it's dawned on me if I live long, I'm probably going to have to go to an old folks home.  There won't be room for the vinyl.   I don't look forward to that day.  The rough part is whoever had to sell the rest, we're all going to be old at that point.   The kids of the 2060's probably aren't going to be interest in a very heavily overweighted in 90s rock collection :(
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,893
    Went to a local record store today and was a tiny bit blown away by the prices of new records. I only bought something because I had a gift certificate. The used prices were still fairly low.

It's also baffling to me that some records released a year or less ago are "worth" more than amazing records released many decades ago. Mostly referring to punk releases. Oh well. Buying a lot less vinyl these days and just buying downloads. If someone would have told me even 15 years ago that I would be paying $30+ for a new record, I would have farted in their face. I know about inflation and all that, but damn. Just another old dude rant. It is what it is.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,019
    Zod said:
    who is going to make me choose 20 records only?  It's taken me over 25 years to build my collection.  If someone gave me that ultimatum, I wouldn't say a word.  I'd just walk away.

That being said, it's dawned on me if I live long, I'm probably going to have to go to an old folks home.  There won't be room for the vinyl.   I don't look forward to that day.  The rough part is whoever had to sell the rest, we're all going to be old at that point.   The kids of the 2060's probably aren't going to be interest in a very heavily overweighted in 90s rock collection :(
    If you do go to a home you should start constructing that top 20 now...
  • Options
    I seldom get the chance to browse a good record store, but recently had to make the trek down to Folsom to get some work done on my Little Martin LX1, so headed over to this place I used to frequent down the road a bit.  I was pretty much blown away by how much the prices have shot up in the last year since I was down there.  Not only that, but more and more of what they stock are new pressings.  They used to have about 2/3 used and one third new.  Now, other than the junk in the down low horizontal shelves, most of what they carry in the waist high flip bins is new vinyl- I would say a good 80 to 90% new, and the prices are crazy.  And they have this massive cage that they keep higher end stuff in and the prices are insane.  The untitled Led Zeppelin IV for $89.95?  Give me a freakin' break.  I picked up an excellent good as new copy a couple of years ago for $18.50 from an independent seller on Discogs.

The other thing that bugged the crap our of me was how many "unofficial" Neil Young albums they had.  That might be the end for me as far as going back there.  Those "unofficial" LPs and bootlegs are a type of theft- intellectual theft.  And intellectual theft of a creative artist is a major sin in my book.  I do NOT dig that shit once bit.  Neil would agree.  I can't believe they get away with this stuff. 

Screw it.  Don't need to go there again.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,283
    edited July 2022
    brianlux said:
    The other thing that bugged the crap our of me was how many "unofficial" Neil Young albums they had.  That might be the end for me as far as going back there.  Those "unofficial" LPs and bootlegs are a type of theft- intellectual theft.  And intellectual theft of a creative artist is a major sin in my book.  I do NOT dig that shit once bit.  Neil would agree.  I can't believe they get away with this stuff. 

Any excuse to post this gem again  :)

https://youtu.be/N-3rFhXVrvI
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

Any excuse to post this gem again  :)

https://youtu.be/N-3rFhXVrvI

LOL, for sure!  Love it!  Wish Neil at been at this store I was in today!

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I'm always thrilled to see vinyl that is reasonably priced.  For example:

That copied rather small.  Here are the prices in order of those listed on that page:
    €2,000,000.00
    £1,000,000.00
    £689,921.00
    $413,500.00 (smokin' deal, better grab that one!)
    $220,000.00
    $155,555.00

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    ooo. I have that Live on 2 legs. Willing to sell it for only $400k if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    ooo. I have that Live on 2 legs. Willing to sell it for only $400k if anyone is interested.

LOL.  I would sell all 1000 LPs in my collection for 400 grand!

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,283
    I love that there are 6 pages of LOTL listings between $20 - $90, then from out of nowhere $400k!

And the Irish sense of humour to ask for 2 million Euro (almost $3 million AUD!) for a Yoko record with a G+ sleeve is genius.  :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I've managed to go 2 months now since I last bought vinyl. Still not got Earthling. Ha Ha so proud of myself.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    Zod said:

You can use your records to rest your bed on. You may be sleeping a few inches from the ceiling but will still have your records.  My son said he wouldn't want mine.