Options

Vinyl prices has reached its breaking point IMO

Comments

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    It's definitely become a hobby for people with plenty of disposable income. I imagine a lot of people will eventually stop buying because of the price. We are going to see a heap of records from the past 10 years turn up in used record stores in years to come.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,947
    FR181798 said:
    It's definitely become a hobby for people with plenty of disposable income. I imagine a lot of people will eventually stop buying because of the price. We are going to see a heap of records from the past 10 years turn up in used record stores in years to come.
    I think it depends what you want to buy. Over the past few years I picked up a lot of used stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s in decent shape and many were cheap. Those probably make up 2/3 of my collection. It has only been recently that I have been dropping more serious money on new records, limited edition variants, OG pressings for certain things, rarer bands, etc. and that has been expensive. But it is also fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Yeah I mean thats maybe what I need to do. I collect mainly 90s to present day. Early 00s etc it used to be the case that if you didn't buy something within the first year you might not see it again and you knew it was a first pressing. Its not so bad now. I always thought I missed buying the 60s, 70s, 80s stuff new that it could just wait. 

Not a decent used record store here so I maybe just need to look online for decent condition older records. 

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    mickeyrat said:

Manufacturers struggle to keep pace with vinyl record demand
    By DAVID SHARP
    Today

The arrival of the compact disc nearly killed off record albums, with vinyl pressing machines sold, scrapped and dismantled by major record labels.

Four decades later, with resuscitated record album sales producing double-digit annual growth, manufacturers are rapidly rebuilding an industry to keep pace with sales that reached $1 billion last year.

Dozens of record-pressing factories have been built to try to meet demand in North America — and it's still not enough.

continues....

I never quite get it.  So much of the demand is people who have no idea about records to begin with. It’s got to be 

Once they give up and walk away, I’m more afraid of the inevitable crash that follows 

it’s always funny to read the reviews at target or Walmart. The amount of “this skips” reviews are astronomical.  I honestly have never ever bought a record that skips when I first open it.  Provided I clean it, it’s  not hugely warped, and am playing it on a basic turntable(doesn’t even have to be super fancy).  Sometimes it’s more than half the reviews of records I have 

records are fun. Maintaining them is a chore 
    I bought Live after Death and finally got around to listening to it and it skipped and cracked, alot.  Further inspection of the record and there were unmelted pellets in the record, hence causing the skips.  

First and only time I saw that.  My local let me replace it, no problem even after 6 months later.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Yeah I mean thats maybe what I need to do. I collect mainly 90s to present day. Early 00s etc it used to be the case that if you didn't buy something within the first year you might not see it again and you knew it was a first pressing. Its not so bad now. I always thought I missed buying the 60s, 70s, 80s stuff new that it could just wait. 

Not a decent used record store here so I maybe just need to look online for decent condition older records. 

The good stuff always moves quick.  That is why they have bins and bins of stuff you never heard of.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    Everything is going up, but it’s vinyl…it’s okay. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    mickeyrat said:

Manufacturers struggle to keep pace with vinyl record demand
    By DAVID SHARP
    Today

The arrival of the compact disc nearly killed off record albums, with vinyl pressing machines sold, scrapped and dismantled by major record labels.

Four decades later, with resuscitated record album sales producing double-digit annual growth, manufacturers are rapidly rebuilding an industry to keep pace with sales that reached $1 billion last year.

Dozens of record-pressing factories have been built to try to meet demand in North America — and it's still not enough.

continues....

I never quite get it.  So much of the demand is people who have no idea about records to begin with. It’s got to be 

Once they give up and walk away, I’m more afraid of the inevitable crash that follows 

it’s always funny to read the reviews at target or Walmart. The amount of “this skips” reviews are astronomical.  I honestly have never ever bought a record that skips when I first open it.  Provided I clean it, it’s  not hugely warped, and am playing it on a basic turntable(doesn’t even have to be super fancy).  Sometimes it’s more than half the reviews of records I have 

records are fun. Maintaining them is a chore 
    I bought Live after Death and finally got around to listening to it and it skipped and cracked, alot.  Further inspection of the record and there were unmelted pellets in the record, hence causing the skips.  

First and only time I saw that.  My local let me replace it, no problem even after 6 months later.

have a jack white with pitting. pressed at 3rd man.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,306
    Neil Young has written a new article about vinyl on his NYA page: 

6-28-22

The record industry is currently struggling to meet an unprecedented demand for vinyl recordings. It’s a direct result of increased orders combined with limited manufacturing capacity. Currently it takes about ten months between the time an artist completes a master recording to when the vinyl albums become available for sale in the world. It’s worse for independent artists that have to compete with the the majors and their large orders. But, Vinyl sounds like God.

Few expected that a vinyl resurgence would be as popular as it has become. When CDs were introduced in the early eighties, everyone expected they would obsolete vinyl recordings. CDs were digital, a new and exciting technology, but something that few really understood, other than it eliminated some of the analog artifacts of vinyl such as a few pops and crackles. CD sales soared and vinyl sales dried up. There were a few lonely voices that raised concern about CD quality at the time, but no one paid attention. Digital was new, and new was considered better.

To everyone’s surprise vinyl sales began a comeback in 2006 that has continued to grow steadily. In 2021 sales of vinyl recordings surpassed CDs. CD sales also suffered during this time due to the popularity of digital downloads and streaming audio.

The number of vinyl LPs sold rose 10% just between 2020 and 2021. 41.7 million LPs were sold in the U.S. alone in 2021, up more than 45-fold compared to 2006 when the vinyl comeback began. Worldwide, the vinyl record market was $1.5 Billion in 2021. It’s still growing.

Hi-res digital is now being offered by Amazon, Apple and Qobuz, as well as sites such as NYA, continually creating awareness of great audio quality and making a huge difference in enjoyment of the music at a high sampling rate. Today many listeners want something even better.

“I prefer the infinite sampling rate of analog.”
    -Rupert Neve, legendary maker of Neve recording consoles.

On the product side, in addition to holding it in your hand, vinyl, a tangible product that is the crown jewel of recorded music playback quality, displays much better sound compared to its digital alternatives. 

Vinyl has attracted fans of all ages, especially those in their twenties, meaning it’s not just something of interest to those that once enjoyed records in the old days when vinyl was king. Vinyl is now coming back - primarily with young, aware and sensitive listeners, those whose fresh ears and souls can really tell the difference and don’t doubt it.

“It’s more than a resurgence for old timers like me. Its the crown jewel for today’s listeners.” 
    -ny

Now, During the Digital Depression, Vinyl has been rediscovered, but record companies have closed their vinyl plants, sold off their equipment for pennies on the dollar, and are outsourcing their vinyl production to a number of smaller companies around the world. They focus on low res downloads and streaming, assuming vinyl is dead. In that, they are dead wrong.

Connoisseurs of Music

NYA believes there’s substantial risk in ignoring the many 20-25 year old connoisseurs of music - the next generation who have re-committed to vinyl. That segment is growth in motion.

What’s in the way-

Many today in the record business cite the large investments and experienced personnel required to build new equipment and facilities. 

The industry is also profiting from low resolution streaming which provides more than 85% of their profits, making vinyl quality less interesting.

Some think vinyl production could take years to come on line, and there’s risk for them to forecast demand that far out.

Covid has also exacerbated the mismatch between demand and manufacturing capacity of vinyl.More people confined to home took greater interest in listening deeply to music and turned to vinyl at the same time as record manufacturing capacity massively suffered from factory disruptions due to the epidemic. As lead times lengthened, artists were more likely to over-order vinyl to avoid further delays. This added to the shortage.

//////

Craig Kallman, the Chairman and CEO of Atlantic Records, is concerned about available capacity and believes the record companies do need to develop their own capacity. He’s convinced that the popularity of vinyl is not a passing fad and that much more capacity is needed for the long term. He expects things will get worse before they get better. He cited as an example Harry Styles’ new album that sold 182,000 vinyl records in the first week! He also noted the continuing growth in turntable sales that are not abating.

NYA believes that it would be in the interests of music for the recording companies to invest in Vinyl Manufacturing Facility ownership. Vinyl is still the true form of great recorded music. Nothing has been better and digital will not get there. Vinyl will stay great - the best.

Digital is a reconstitution of an analog sound, with varying amounts of detail.

Analog Vinyl is the pure reflection of that sound, with all of its infinite detail. 

Vinyl, what we call “the crown jewel” of music playback, deserves a major record company with its own manufacturing plant to ensure quality sound and timely circulation. That record company would become the true home of great sounding music.

Today’s music just does not match yesterday’s music in sound quality …..and it shows. 

Rick Hashimoto, production manager of Record Technology Inc. of Camarillo, CA, a small vinyl manufacturer, sees some hope of improved capacity. He points out that new worldwide capacity is coming on line to meet some of the demand. A large Czech manufacturer (GZ Media) is greatly expanding their capacity, and expects it to bring to bring some relief - but not enough to fulfill growing demand.

Who’s going to step up? Which major record company will rescue the “Crown Jewel” of recorded music playback and make new music instantly available in vinyl?

Neil Young and Phil Baker for NYA

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I love vinyl but it's quite a different experience to buying a CD. I think I had to return 2 CDs in my life to shops because they skipped from new.

I've never found buying vinyl as relaxing as buying a CD. More exciting but not as easy. I don't have much option other than buying online most of the time and then youve spent all this money and never know if its going to arrive like it should in NEW condition and play nicely. Usually the bigger the company you buy from and usually the priciest items the poorer its packed.

I've lost count of the number of beat up sleeves I've received and then there is the quality control of the vinyl itself. You have to wonder if the number of returns must also be pushing up prices.

Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,259
    Yah CD's were great.  People liked them because they were prefect (no crackle/pops), and they were more durable.   Records kind of have to be perfect for perfect sound, cd's not so much (just good enough that they don't skip).

While vinyl is rarely perfect. I haven't sent many back.  Usually give a bad one a clean and it's good enough.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    goldrush said:
    Neil Young has written a new article about vinyl on his NYA page: 

6-28-22

The record industry is currently struggling to meet an unprecedented demand for vinyl recordings. It’s a direct result of increased orders combined with limited manufacturing capacity. Currently it takes about ten months between the time an artist completes a master recording to when the vinyl albums become available for sale in the world. It’s worse for independent artists that have to compete with the the majors and their large orders. But, Vinyl sounds like God.

Few expected that a vinyl resurgence would be as popular as it has become. When CDs were introduced in the early eighties, everyone expected they would obsolete vinyl recordings. CDs were digital, a new and exciting technology, but something that few really understood, other than it eliminated some of the analog artifacts of vinyl such as a few pops and crackles. CD sales soared and vinyl sales dried up. There were a few lonely voices that raised concern about CD quality at the time, but no one paid attention. Digital was new, and new was considered better.

To everyone’s surprise vinyl sales began a comeback in 2006 that has continued to grow steadily. In 2021 sales of vinyl recordings surpassed CDs. CD sales also suffered during this time due to the popularity of digital downloads and streaming audio.

The number of vinyl LPs sold rose 10% just between 2020 and 2021. 41.7 million LPs were sold in the U.S. alone in 2021, up more than 45-fold compared to 2006 when the vinyl comeback began. Worldwide, the vinyl record market was $1.5 Billion in 2021. It’s still growing.

Hi-res digital is now being offered by Amazon, Apple and Qobuz, as well as sites such as NYA, continually creating awareness of great audio quality and making a huge difference in enjoyment of the music at a high sampling rate. Today many listeners want something even better.

On the product side, in addition to holding it in your hand, vinyl, a tangible product that is the crown jewel of recorded music playback quality, displays much better sound compared to its digital alternatives. 

Vinyl has attracted fans of all ages, especially those in their twenties, meaning it’s not just something of interest to those that once enjoyed records in the old days when vinyl was king. Vinyl is now coming back - primarily with young, aware and sensitive listeners, those whose fresh ears and souls can really tell the difference and don’t doubt it.

“It’s more than a resurgence for old timers like me. Its the crown jewel for today’s listeners.” 
    -ny

Now, During the Digital Depression, Vinyl has been rediscovered, but record companies have closed their vinyl plants, sold off their equipment for pennies on the dollar, and are outsourcing their vinyl production to a number of smaller companies around the world. They focus on low res downloads and streaming, assuming vinyl is dead. In that, they are dead wrong.

Connoisseurs of Music

NYA believes there’s substantial risk in ignoring the many 20-25 year old connoisseurs of music - the next generation who have re-committed to vinyl. That segment is growth in motion.

What’s in the way-

Many today in the record business cite the large investments and experienced personnel required to build new equipment and facilities. 

The industry is also profiting from low resolution streaming which provides more than 85% of their profits, making vinyl quality less interesting.

Some think vinyl production could take years to come on line, and there’s risk for them to forecast demand that far out.

Covid has also exacerbated the mismatch between demand and manufacturing capacity of vinyl.More people confined to home took greater interest in listening deeply to music and turned to vinyl at the same time as record manufacturing capacity massively suffered from factory disruptions due to the epidemic. As lead times lengthened, artists were more likely to over-order vinyl to avoid further delays. This added to the shortage.

//////

Craig Kallman, the Chairman and CEO of Atlantic Records, is concerned about available capacity and believes the record companies do need to develop their own capacity. He’s convinced that the popularity of vinyl is not a passing fad and that much more capacity is needed for the long term. He expects things will get worse before they get better. He cited as an example Harry Styles’ new album that sold 182,000 vinyl records in the first week! He also noted the continuing growth in turntable sales that are not abating.

NYA believes that it would be in the interests of music for the recording companies to invest in Vinyl Manufacturing Facility ownership. Vinyl is still the true form of great recorded music. Nothing has been better and digital will not get there. Vinyl will stay great - the best.

Digital is a reconstitution of an analog sound, with varying amounts of detail.

Analog Vinyl is the pure reflection of that sound, with all of its infinite detail. 

Vinyl, what we call “the crown jewel” of music playback, deserves a major record company with its own manufacturing plant to ensure quality sound and timely circulation. That record company would become the true home of great sounding music.

Today’s music just does not match yesterday’s music in sound quality …..and it shows. 

Rick Hashimoto, production manager of Record Technology Inc. of Camarillo, CA, a small vinyl manufacturer, sees some hope of improved capacity. He points out that new worldwide capacity is coming on line to meet some of the demand. A large Czech manufacturer (GZ Media) is greatly expanding their capacity, and expects it to bring to bring some relief - but not enough to fulfill growing demand.

Who’s going to step up? Which major record company will rescue the “Crown Jewel” of recorded music playback and make new music instantly available in vinyl?

Neil Young and Phil Baker for NYA

"There were a few lonely voices that raised concern about CD quality at the time, but no one paid attention."
    I remember oh so when in around '86 or '87 running across a guest essay Neil wrote for Musician magazine extolling the virtues of analog vinyl and (rightly) bemoaning the inferior quality of those early CDs with their low sampling rate.  It's so great to see Neil once again taking up the cause, so to speak, for vinyl.

^^^SO perfectly stated!
    Zod said:
    Yah CD's were great.  People liked them because they were prefect (no crackle/pops), and they were more durable.   Records kind of have to be perfect for perfect sound, cd's not so much (just good enough that they don't skip).

While vinyl is rarely perfect. I haven't sent many back.  Usually give a bad one a clean and it's good enough.

Yeah, Zod, same here.  In fact, in the last few or more years, I can only remember returning one defective vinyl LP.  It was an LP put out by American Laundromat Records and of the heads of that company (Joe, if I recall correctly) wrote me personally and was very sorry for the problem and vowed to "get to the bottom of the issue" (I love that label!).  The replacement copy was perfecta and he told me to keep the defective one. 
    Any other LPs with issues have had minor problems either solved by a thorough and careful deep cleaning or were so negligible (a brief tick or tiny pop maybe) that, compared the the harsh, compressed sound of CDs, they were not worth losing sleep over or taking the trouble to return them- and even those situations have been few.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,099
    "Like Neil Young would know his ass from a hole in the ground about digital recording. Nothing against Neil Young, but people get these archaic notions."
    -Trent Reznor
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Like Neil Young would know his ass from a hole in the ground about digital recording. Nothing against Neil Young, but people get these archaic notions."
    -Trent Reznor

Please tell me you don't believe that?
    You can read in what goldrush posted above about Neil being highly critical of digital in the the 80's (and rightly so) but far more open to and even utilizing of high resolution/ high sampling rates of modern digital, and absolutely correct about analog vinyl being the "crown jewel" of recorded music. 
    Not sure what Reznor's beef is.  Obviously not a very open minded dude.  Or maybe just angry.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    -Trent Reznor

You can read in what goldrush posted above about Neil being highly critical of digital in the the 80's (and rightly so) but far more open to and even utilizing of high resolution/ high sampling rates of modern digital, and absolutely correct about analog vinyl being the "crown jewel" of recorded music. 
    Not sure what Reznor's beef is.  Obviously not a very open minded dude.  Or maybe just angry.
    He was young. And seemed to enjoy the benefits of digital recording and thrive within that realm. 

Funny quote.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    In 1996 in Alaska I was listening to a CD and my Engineer said "something is missing with CD's."  I said HUH?

"Yeah, something is missing.  I have Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon on both vinyl and CD and there is something missing, but I can't quite explain it."

He was right.  After listening to certain things via analog you could tell a CD was "missing" something.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    brianlux said:
    -Trent Reznor

<~Trent has always had such a positive outlook and has made music with no hint of any anger in it. I am not sure where you are picking this up from.~> ;)   
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    -Trent Reznor

<~Trent has always had such a positive outlook and has made music with no hint of any anger in it. I am not sure where you are picking this up from.~> ;)   
    SHOULD HAVE NEVER LEFT TORI AMOS
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
    edited June 2022
    Just sold my collection to a record store. As I was unloading my shelves, I realized that:
    - 10% of my records were still sealed
    - 80% of the albums I played were spun less than 5x each (and I bet it was closer to 90%)
    - I was really only heartbroken to see 10% of the albums go (Pearl Jam, Tragically Hip, Achtung Baby, Songbook, Before These Crowded Streets)

However, I just paid off about 75% of my crippling debt, and the tears of relief were worth it.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    I've been killing it with cassettes lately. My local thrift only charges a quarter for them. Low cost analog!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    -Trent Reznor

You're right, JB, I should go easier on good old Reznor.  He does have that "Oh Happy Day" and "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" aura about hi, after all,  :lol:

• Options
    Gibson said:
    Just sold my collection to a record store. As I was unloading my shelves, I realized that:
    - 80% of the albums I played were spun less than 5x each (and I bet it was closer to 90%)
    - I was really only heartbroken to see 10% of the albums go (Pearl Jam, Tragically Hip, Achtung Baby, Songbook, Before These Crowded Streets)

However, I just paid off about 75% of my crippling debt, and the tears of relief were worth it.

Congratulations and condolences, Gibson.  Relief from debt is liberating.  You can always reacquire the LPs you miss most. 
    I had to sell off a big chunk of my collection in 1994 due to loss of job and financial difficulties.  Food was easier to consume than vinyl, lol.   After all these years, I've pretty much bought again the albums I missed most, and the ones I have not bought again I don't miss at all.  You made a wise choice there, so kudos!

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Gibson said:

Nice one, a good time to sell. Don't get me wrong it's a great hobby but I can imagine the sense of relief. They are only things and if the last few years has taught me anything is that sure you can enjoy them when you're not allowed out but in the grand scheme of things they don't really matter. Doesn't make anyone any less a fan not having the $30, $40, $50 record.
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
    Thanks, guys. I thought it would be a tough decision, but it already feels insanely liberating. 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    So... 46-47 dollars for Eddie Vedders latest solo album over here....

That's one (1) LP.

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034

That's one (1) LP.

Retail prices going up, sell outs taking longer at the same time the collector market is falling generally from what I’ve seen 

• Options

That's one (1) LP.

It's too much. We hear about the costs of materials going up, supply chain issues etc. I get that would push up prices a bit but when some artists can sell single LPs for £21.99 and often lower then Earthling is between £35 - £40 here in the UK something is not right. Seems absurd. The most logical explanation is they know exactly who their market is and squeezing every penny out of it. They know the PJ fanbase will pay this. Sick of this scarcity of materials etc used to cover this up.

Almost tempted to star buying CDs again or maybe Japanese CDs instead. 
  • Options
    figure location plays as much a role as everything else, taxes, import fees etc...

also the seller plays their role too. are these independent shops or corporate type chains?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,352
    My brother has owned a pretty successful record label since 1988. His cost for a double album, colored vinyl, and  gatefold sleeve is about $9 ready to ship. That’s up from about $6 late last year. I myself don’t get the appeal of buying new records.  I buy the PJ releases just because but buying $30-$50 new records on the regular? No way. That’s just bad money to me. I like finding rare old records in excellent  condition and only at a great price. That’s my criteria.  It keeps my collection manageable, high quality, and a sound investment. And when you’re talking about the cost of new or used records of any kind,  it is an investment any way you look at it. It’s crazy to me to think about bringing $1000 into a record store and walking out with about 30 records. It’s insane. 
  • Options
    My brother has owned a pretty successful record label since 1988. His cost for a double album, colored vinyl, and  gatefold sleeve is about $9 ready to ship. That’s up from about $6 late last year. I myself don’t get the appeal of buying new records.  I buy the PJ releases just because but buying $30-$50 new records on the regular? No way. That’s just bad money to me. I like finding rare old records in excellent  condition and only at a great price. That’s my criteria.  It keeps my collection manageable, high quality, and a sound investment. And when you’re talking about the cost of new or used records of any kind,  it is an investment any way you look at it. It’s crazy to me to think about bringing $1000 into a record store and walking out with about 30 records. It’s insane. 

about $9 cost. whats his margin? a given bands take? a sellers margin?

• Options
    edited July 2022
    mickeyrat said:

about $9 cost. whats his margin? a given bands take? a sellers margin?
    Here in Sweden I think the de facto margin for the seller is 30% on vinyl. So from the selling price, you can deduct 30% and 25% sales tax and you find what the record label is charging per item.