Options

Vinyl prices has reached its breaking point IMO

Comments

• Options
    KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    I was sitting, spinning a record and looking at my collection and it hit me.... it would take months for me to spin every one!!!  So that, coupled with the price point, has slowed my vinyl buying.  I pick up a record, think it would be nice to spin, but $40-$50 = 4-5 months of HD streaming services, and I put it back. 
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    edited June 2022
    My mom has said that to me. I have around 4000 records, and she said there isn’t enough time in my life to listen to them all. Thinking about taking up that challenge. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    I’m still in and not going anywhere. I love the artifact so much and a great sounding record is heaven. But mainly I love the engagement with the music. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    Sleep less
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I’m still in and not going anywhere. I love the artifact so much and a great sounding record is heaven. But mainly I love the engagement with the music. 
    Well said 👍
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I’m certainly no collector, however I’ve recently started purchasing my favourite albums on vinyl. I have all PJ albums except LB and have about 20 of my other favourites from different artists. It’s not a cheap exercise! 
    You might have 30 LPs now but that's how it starts, you have been warned :) I'm not sure at what level it becomes a collection but it sounds a little like one to me at the moment.
  • Options
    I’m certainly no collector, however I’ve recently started purchasing my favourite albums on vinyl. I have all PJ albums except LB and have about 20 of my other favourites from different artists. It’s not a cheap exercise! 
    Also there are probably loads of people with spare copies of Lightning Bolt that would send you a copy so you should maybe reach out. I know I had about 5 copies at one point. Now I have 3.5.  I have EU black, US red, US replacement and then Sevens.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    You might have 30 LPs now but that's how it starts, you have been warned :) I'm not sure at what level it becomes a collection but it sounds a little like one to me at the moment.
    The rate that you add shelving is the first indicator.  That’s the point it exceeds your initial expectation 

then it’s a collection 
  • Options
    So it looks like I have 5-6 pre ordered records set for this year. Not kidding myself I'm going to stop completely but seriously considering a sort of 1 in 1 out plan next year.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I am getting closer and closer to running out of room. I have really cut down on random vinyl purchases. I really now chase after certain pressings and looking for the definitive versions of releases. But there still are a few bands that I basically buy everything PJ being one.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    I am getting closer and closer to running out of room. I have really cut down on random vinyl purchases. I really now chase after certain pressings and looking for the definitive versions of releases. But there still are a few bands that I basically buy everything PJ being one.
    I worry about my floorboards. I have a reoccurring nightmare that I'm awoken with a bang and all my records have come through the ceiling and are in a heap in the kitchen.

I picked up a Japanese CD from my collection the other day and thought this is kind of cool and look at how little space it takes up. I guess some people are just collectors/ hoarders and others aren't so if it wasn't vinyl for me it would be something else. Maybe trainers or something.

Would be interested if any other record collectors were collectors of something else when they were younger.

• Options
    I keep my records in the basement and I’m always scared of flooding. 
  • Options
    Yeah I started specifying them on my home insurance a few years back, problem with that though is that my wife has a rough idea of the value of them. And when I say rough discogs reckons about double now.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845
    I have my albums in a kallax on the floor in the basement. we had considerable rain in april, and I missed the opener to Royal Blood dealing with it. Luckily the drain the water was looking for was nowhere near my kallax. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,965
    mickeyrat said:

its all import there , yes? No in country pressing plants?
    I’m pretty sure that’s the case, hence the higher prices. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,965
    FR181798 said:
    Also there are probably loads of people with spare copies of Lightning Bolt that would send you a copy so you should maybe reach out. I know I had about 5 copies at one point. Now I have 3.5.  I have EU black, US red, US replacement and then Sevens.
    Cool, I might reach out and see if anyone on the boards has a sealed copy (preferably). 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Cool, I might reach out and see if anyone on the boards has a sealed copy (preferably). 
    EU sealed probably okay. US first pressing had many issues hence the replacement discs from the label. Also the packaging for both the EU and US copies have Made in the USA designed into the artwork which makes it a little confusing but some small print on it to tell the difference.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mickeyrat said:

its all import there , yes? No in country pressing plants?
    I’m pretty sure that’s the case, hence the higher prices. 

there are a few Australia bootlegs on vinyl. So basically you guys have to import your own unauthorised releases too? That’s brutal 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Yeah I started specifying them on my home insurance a few years back, problem with that though is that my wife has a rough idea of the value of them. And when I say rough discogs reckons about double now.
    The 2nd part to this story is that I now sleep in the spare bedroom with my records. LOL
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760

MedozK said:
    Three records purchased yesterday. 2 new and 1 used.  $87. I’m out for sure.
    That is almost a tank of gas.
    Less than a 1/2 of a tank (in Canadian dollars) in my 2016 F-150 north of the border. Tank of gas is gone forever. The vinyl is here to stay.  
    Haha, perfect!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:
    The 2nd part to this story is that I now sleep in the spare bedroom with my records. LOL
    Oh boy! Are we talking 7”, 10”, 12”, novelty 3”, big hole, small hole, any warping issues? As you can see, I have questions. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,263
    MedozK said:

I'm in the same boat. I have a farely full 4x4 Kallax shelf, and a fairly full 4x2 kallax shelf with about 2 cubes free.    I figure room for another 150 records.  The 7"'s are in a box, so I can free up a cube by relocating box.. there's another 50. 

At some point though... it's going to be where I can squeeze in another kallax.  I think might have room for 2x2.. lol.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:
    Oh boy! Are we talking 7”, 10”, 12”, novelty 3”, big hole, small hole, any warping issues? As you can see, I have questions. 
    😆
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Zod said:
    MedozK said:

I'm in the same boat. I have a farely full 4x4 Kallax shelf, and a fairly full 4x2 kallax shelf with about 2 cubes free.    I figure room for another 150 records.  The 7"'s are in a box, so I can free up a cube by relocating box.. there's another 50. 

At some point though... it's going to be where I can squeeze in another kallax.  I think might have room for 2x2.. lol.
    I replaced a side table with a 4 square kallax cube for additional wax storage. You start getting real creative. Then, I had to add shelving in the spare bedroom.
    My mother owns one of those secured storage businesses. Next stop is there lol. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845
    Zod said:
    MedozK said:

I replaced a side table with a 4 square kallax cube for additional wax storage. You start getting real creative. Then, I had to add shelving in the spare bedroom.
    My mother owns one of those secured storage businesses. Next stop is there lol. 
    I've considered the "vinyl storage doubling as a table" idea, but with kids, I'd just be asking for vinyl covered in kool aid. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892

Manufacturers struggle to keep pace with vinyl record demand
    By DAVID SHARP
    Today

The arrival of the compact disc nearly killed off record albums, with vinyl pressing machines sold, scrapped and dismantled by major record labels.

Four decades later, with resuscitated record album sales producing double-digit annual growth, manufacturers are rapidly rebuilding an industry to keep pace with sales that reached $1 billion last year.

Dozens of record-pressing factories have been built to try to meet demand in North America — and it's still not enough.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mickeyrat said:

By DAVID SHARP
    Today

The arrival of the compact disc nearly killed off record albums, with vinyl pressing machines sold, scrapped and dismantled by major record labels.

Four decades later, with resuscitated record album sales producing double-digit annual growth, manufacturers are rapidly rebuilding an industry to keep pace with sales that reached $1 billion last year.

Dozens of record-pressing factories have been built to try to meet demand in North America — and it's still not enough.

continues....

I never quite get it.  So much of the demand is people who have no idea about records to begin with. It’s got to be 

Once they give up and walk away, I’m more afraid of the inevitable crash that follows 

it’s always funny to read the reviews at target or Walmart. The amount of “this skips” reviews are astronomical.  I honestly have never ever bought a record that skips when I first open it.  Provided I clean it, it’s  not hugely warped, and am playing it on a basic turntable(doesn’t even have to be super fancy).  Sometimes it’s more than half the reviews of records I have 

records are fun. Maintaining them is a chore 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    mickeyrat said:

By DAVID SHARP
    Today

continues....

I never quite get it.  So much of the demand is people who have no idea about records to begin with. It’s got to be 

Once they give up and walk away, I’m more afraid of the inevitable crash that follows 

it’s always funny to read the reviews at target or Walmart. The amount of “this skips” reviews are astronomical.  I honestly have never ever bought a record that skips when I first open it.  Provided I clean it, it’s  not hugely warped, and am playing it on a basic turntable(doesn’t even have to be super fancy).  Sometimes it’s more than half the reviews of records I have 

records are fun. Maintaining them is a chore 

almost garuanteed tt are set up properly , placed wrong or are so cheap to begin with.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    Many are buying those cheap Crosley record players. I started with one before I
    learned about needles and quality record players. 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23