Options

The Official 2023 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    wsimon74wsimon74 Posts: 496
    Out of curiosity, where did the 4/20 date as an announcement or sale date originate?  Just curious if I should continue to have my hopes up for this week. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    bbiggs said:
    18 days ago it was a good day to be a 10C member. 
    Yeah that was horseshit. Oh well. The excitement has worn off and I just check here less. Finger crossed I guess that I have any vacation days left when they announce mid week shows 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,066
    I have it on a good source that PJ is in the Made in America festival. Not sure what day. Lineup will be announced within a week 
    They are playing St Paul on Sep 2nd. The MIA festival is Sep 2-3. 

It is also an 18hr drive away without stops....
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 444
    The craziest part about GVF is that the music industry already tried to pump out a terrible Zeppelin rip off, Wolfmother. Millennials by and large rejected them so they decided to try again with Gen Z.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I have it on a good source that PJ is in the Made in America festival. Not sure what day. Lineup will be announced within a week 

You know for a fact they’re playing St Paul on Sept. 2? 
  • Options
    If so that's fine and confirms I will not be in Philly... thanks
    If true, that's a huge disappointment. Won't be there either.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,058
    God I hated the MIA festival.  Ugh
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,616
    Well, sh*t, what if it's only 1 St. Paul show.  That would be disappointing. 
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 360
    Zod said:
    kypjfan said:
    I must be in the minority, cause I had fun listening to GVF at B&B. I was past the crowd, chilling on a blanket. Excited to see them again at Shaky Knees next month. 
    I was really looking forward to hearing GVF at B&B, and could not have been more unimpressed.  Plus they went long, which took time away from PJ.  If you look at the setlist, we missed Unthought Known because of that!  GVF, know your place . . . you will simply be a footnote in years to come.  Just be happy you were at the same festival - do a great set and get off the stage early!
    I mean, for me to enjoy a concert I need to know the songs.  If I go see a band I'm not familiar with the catalog it all sounds the same to me, and I'm less than impressed.  I think as a result, its really hard for opening bands to impress me. One because everyone is there to see the headliner, and two because I'm often not familiar enough with the catalog.  I made a rule years ago to never judge a band unless I'm seeing them as a headliner.    That being said the rate times an opener has blown my mind (P

I can relate. Only a couple exceptions. Ben Harper at Mansfield in 98. I couldn't wait to hear him the second night. Sponge in the mid 90's. Both of them I had never heard a note from and liked what I heard right away. Ben Harper stuck. I didn't care about anything sponge put out after rotting pinate. There has been a couple more but not in this genre of music.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,672
    edited April 2023
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Zod said:
    I feel I'm on the opposite side of the Spectrum.  I've enjoyed Greta Van Fleet.  I've been listening to them since they released the double EP (From the Fires).   I don't really care for most modern rock music.  Most if sounds bland, overproduced and lacks soul.   You can't really tell one singer from another, and they bury the vocals behind the instruments.

I dunno. I love 70s rock.  So Great Van Fleet kind of scratches that itch.  I know there's been a few bands over the years that have been billed as sort of sounding like Zeppelin.    Sure the singer sounds like Robert Plant, but at least the singer sounds like something :)

I got to see them do a bar show in Toronto (Rebel Nightclub) in 2018.  It was a pretty good show.  They only had the double EP at the time, with their first full album getting close to coming out.   My only complaint about the show was that it was short (but what do you when you only have so many songs).

I guess I'll be the contrarian on this thread.  I don't listen to too many modern rock bands, but I quite like Greta Van Fleet :)
    I agree I have been a fan since I first heard them. Seen them 4 times and enjoy the 70's sound. Great up and coming band.  At their shows it's been cool to see the younger crowd enjoying live rock music instead the other garbage that is out there. Of course as usual the haters are going to hate.
    Music is all subjective of course, but the fact that they are ripping off Zep's sound is a pretty legitimate critique. 
    I'm not a GVF fan, but it seems ironic to be criticizing them for ripping off Led Zeppelin when so much of the Zep catalog was lifted from other artists. 

I've heard critiques of LZ having ripped off other artists with some songs, but did they build their entire brand off of sounding like another act? 

GVF reminds me of Godsmack who started as an AIC cover band, or Creed or any other band that seemed to simply imitate another band's sound... it feels gimmicky, like Wolfmother. 

I guess someone could argue that Zep's brand was a blues heavy rock band whose sound borrowed extensively from guys like Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson and many others.  Not to mention a long history of "borrowing" lyrics and riffs without crediting the original artists.  I'm not running down Led Zeppelin... they're a great band.  It's just ironic that another band came along and "borrowed" their sound. 
    I feel like there’s a pretty big difference in many artists influencing a band’s sound as opposed to a band building their entire brand around sounding like one specific, very popular & successful band from 50 years ago, but I digress. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    MakeUSmileMakeUSmile NJ Posts: 1,069
    PJNB said:

The MIA post on Instagram has everyone bitching about the price increase since last year. Looks like tickets went up $60  and that’s with the early bird pricing.  
    That post also has many people hoping /wishing for Travis Scott.  
    can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
  • Options
    Doug87Doug87 Posts: 442
    edited April 2023
    Seems like would have to be true for MIA to happen.

Kind of makes sense too given how large the Xcel Center is (imo)

Historically, they haven't done two nights there, though I know that historically they've done longer tours.

Dallas and Austin are both larger markets and smaller venues (Dickies Arena and Moody Center) so it all kind of sadly hangs together imo.

Likewise, September 1st seems open if they really want to do two nights in Minnesota (acknowledging that other shows or events could be booked already).

Seems quite possible like Noblesville, had two nights on hold and dropped one unless we had a JSON on that date?
    Post edited by Doug87 on
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 683
    Doug87 said:
    Seems like would have to be true for MIA to happen.

Kind of makes sense too given how large the Xcel Center is (imo)

Historically, they haven't done two nights there, though I know that historically they've done longer tours.

Dallas and Austin are both larger markets and smaller venues (Dickies Arena and Moody Center) so it all kind of sadly hangs together imo.

Likewise, September 1st seems open if they really want to do two nights in Minnesota (acknowledging that other shows or events could be booked already).
    Wow so even with the festival thrown in it’s probably single-digit shows.
    can we seriously get some ‘24 rumors going because I think a whole lot of us could use ‘em
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,002
    Two night stands with a day off in between equals three full days of merch sales. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,090
    Really hope St Paul doesn't get relegated to 1 show. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Did anybody find a JSON for Sep 2? Feel like we only found the first dates of the stands except Chicago was the 7th for some reason instead of the 5th.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,606
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Zod said:
    I feel I'm on the opposite side of the Spectrum.  I've enjoyed Greta Van Fleet.  I've been listening to them since they released the double EP (From the Fires).   I don't really care for most modern rock music.  Most if sounds bland, overproduced and lacks soul.   You can't really tell one singer from another, and they bury the vocals behind the instruments.

I dunno. I love 70s rock.  So Great Van Fleet kind of scratches that itch.  I know there's been a few bands over the years that have been billed as sort of sounding like Zeppelin.    Sure the singer sounds like Robert Plant, but at least the singer sounds like something :)

I got to see them do a bar show in Toronto (Rebel Nightclub) in 2018.  It was a pretty good show.  They only had the double EP at the time, with their first full album getting close to coming out.   My only complaint about the show was that it was short (but what do you when you only have so many songs).

I guess I'll be the contrarian on this thread.  I don't listen to too many modern rock bands, but I quite like Greta Van Fleet :)
    I agree I have been a fan since I first heard them. Seen them 4 times and enjoy the 70's sound. Great up and coming band.  At their shows it's been cool to see the younger crowd enjoying live rock music instead the other garbage that is out there. Of course as usual the haters are going to hate.
    Music is all subjective of course, but the fact that they are ripping off Zep's sound is a pretty legitimate critique. 
    I'm not a GVF fan, but it seems ironic to be criticizing them for ripping off Led Zeppelin when so much of the Zep catalog was lifted from other artists. 

I've heard critiques of LZ having ripped off other artists with some songs, but did they build their entire brand off of sounding like another act? 

GVF reminds me of Godsmack who started as an AIC cover band, or Creed or any other band that seemed to simply imitate another band's sound... it feels gimmicky, like Wolfmother. 

I guess someone could argue that Zep's brand was a blues heavy rock band whose sound borrowed extensively from guys like Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson and many others.  Not to mention a long history of "borrowing" lyrics and riffs without crediting the original artists.  I'm not running down Led Zeppelin... they're a great band.  It's just ironic that another band came along and "borrowed" their sound. 
    I feel like there’s a pretty big difference in many artists influencing a band’s sound as opposed to a band building their entire brand around sounding like one specific, very popular & successful band from 50 years ago, but I digress. 

So I guess it would be cool if instead GVF just copied Zeppelin's riffs and lyrics and didn't credit them?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905

I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Zod said:

So I guess it would be cool if instead GVF just copied Zeppelin's riffs and lyrics and didn't credit them?
    GVF blows, sorry to burst your bubble.
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,297
    Kevinman said:

There's numerous concert announcements every single day. Could you be more specific?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Doug87 said:
    Did anybody find a JSON for Sep 2? Feel like we only found the first dates of the stands except Chicago was the 7th for some reason instead of the 5th.
    Seems there was a JSON for the 2nd.

I’m going to guess that they have some sort of arrangement that is going to make it possible to do both MIA on the 3rd and St Paul in the 2nd.

Important to note that they won’t need to transport speaker systems or lighting rigs or a stage if desired so it is feasible to do the gig by flying their gear there or at least I would think it would be possible.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,002
    Doug87 said:
    Yes. There is a post with all dates on this page. 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/293122/the-official-2023-tour-rumor-thread/p203

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Zod said:

No bubble burst.  It’s not a question of quality. Just ironic that you’re complaining about them copying another artist when Zep has done the same thing.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Zod said:

No bubble burst.  It’s not a question of quality. Just ironic that you’re complaining about them copying another artist when Zep has done the same thing.  
    Now you’re just repeating yourself. 

We disagree. I’m moving on. 
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Kevinman said:

There's numerous concert announcements every single day. Could you be more specific?
    I don’t have specific details.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,489
    Best thread ever! It has taken so many turns at this point I’m hoping the announcement happens in August just to see where it will take us 😂😂 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,985
    Kevinman said:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    Zod said:

Now you’re just repeating yourself. 

We disagree. I’m moving on. 
    Ironic. 

• Options
    MakeUSmileMakeUSmile NJ Posts: 1,069

Bono’s son’s band opening? 🤷🏼‍♀️

can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?