Options

Anyone in the market to buy a huge collection??

pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
I'm moving towards offloading the collection I've built up over the last 25 years, there are tons of reasons (which will not be of much interest to anyone) and its something I've wrestled with for a very long time. The flame has gone out and buying this stuff no longer excites me like it once did. Its hard to put a finger on it to be honest, but I've felt it coming since gigaton was released. So I've weighed it up over and over and feel its time to start to let stuff go to homes where it will be appreciated and loved like I have. From here on in I'll be focusing on the live experience. 

Before I do sell anything, I wanted to put it out there and just see if by chance there was a wealthy fan looking to acquire something like this in one go? I know its extremely unlikely but wanted to at least flag it as an option just in case

We are going to be talking about

1) Pretty much every Cd albums, promo, single ever made as shown on http://www.pjcollectors.com/ - from every country and every promo known to exist
(Note the only promo cd album to have eluded me over the years was the Brazilian Especial - always a thorn in my side) 

This will include a Reeenk Roink (I'll be keeping at least one), Live at Radio Fritz, and Live at Deutschelandhalle, Giveway, freak, Monkeywrench box etc etc All the bootlegs from 2000  released

2. Every record released up to Gigaton - the only exception being the coloured version of the Live at the Orpheum from Newbury. 

This includes every press of the studio albums, all sealed, with EU and USA for each album, Korea, Spain, Brazil etc for the Ten and Vs records, as well as Benaroya, the Glow in the dark PJ20 release, the coloured pj20, the singles box, the coloured fixer - light & dark blue, white and orange, red lightning bolt first and second press, blue Colombian vs, the hyper rare black Dutch daughter, collectors series jeremy, the vaults, the super deluxe sets, the ten club album box limited to 500, the 6 45 sampler set WITH the box (incredibly hard to find), full set of ten club singles and every 45 released again up to gigaton

3. Every Guitar Pick from 1991- 2021 (current tour excluded) - except for the Jeff Ament joke pick (EVH bass), the black S.T.E.V.E variant, and the EV Tom Petty oscar pick. Most are x 2 to show both sides and a full batch of colour variants of the prototype cherub picks. This will include the Kielbasa,. dickhead, richey, scully, MR/EV, Ukelele picks etc etc. I have two custom made displays for these also with framed, and lasered inserts with pearl jam branding and stickmen

4. A good 30 or so Tour books from 1991 -2016.

5. A crazy amount of stickers and pins - pretty much complete for the tour ones up to 2020 - I saw no point in buying them for a tour that never happened. One notable exception is that BA sticker that never was officially sold. Sticker and pins sets from PJ and Ev releases

6. Setlists spanning decades - some handwritten by ED, stage notes etc

7. Every newsletter ever sent - including number 1. In fantastic condition too. 

8. Promo items from 1991 to the point when the record labels stopped making them, this includes the basketball ring (with 2 orange balls), the Green basketball, the Pj ipod, the vitalogy Filofax, the jam jars from ten and Vitalogy, lost dogs teddy, the vs sheep, the vs sheep mask (unofficial), the EV dot, the vodka bottles (clear and frosted variant), the jack Daniels bottles, no code calculator, stamp and notepad, ten music pin, Vitalogy megaphone, vitalogy mobile and notebook and ring binders......., post card sets, PJ 20 japanese desktop calender, Ten reissue USB in tin, EV molo sessions tin, Ev wallet, VFC 04 limited hand designed dvd set out of 50, IIC litho set, lost dogs coasters, pj 20 mexican headphones....Japanese neck chain and it goes on and on. 

9. Misc items - several signed, and the Pono set, keyrings, keychains, wristbands, caps, tour merch, signed baseballs by Ed and Mike, tour microphones (signed by Matt), fully signed drumhead, and fully signed tambourine, tour guitar strings, etc

10. Every zippo including the brass

11. Posters from 1994-2020 - several 98's, several fully signed (around 150 in total - and a recent valuation placed these in the $50-60k region)

12. All the baseball card sets

13. A crazy amount of the DVDs from every country, several promos, the pj20 sets in standard and delux all sealed

14. Boxsets from around world. 

15. Wine, Whiskey, beer.

This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list, I have literally thousands of items. I also expect this is a massive punt but wanted to address the opportunity before taking to breaking it down piece by piece. 

If there is no interest in a one time deal, please do not contact me for individual items yet as i do not have any firm pricing as yet and I am not one to start a silent auction type set up. All I am looking to do it see if there was any possibility of a collection sale and if there is I would look to work with the candidate to produce a thorough list with approx values with the idea of finalising an end amount. On this basis I would be applying a suitable discount to the buyer to reflect the ease to me, and also the saving in fees in listing elsewhere. 

on a rough valuation basis I expect we will be talking well north of $100,000 

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    not only have you been an amazing collector but you have somehow amassed such a great collection all along while helping others with their's at the same time as well as charitable efforts.  Something that needs to be recognized.  I think many of us are coming to the decision you are or to at least hyper focus on one or two things but as we age, I'm learning too that this is all just stuff but the memories and friendships are priceless.
  • Options
    cockagecockage Posts: 456
    Fuck. 
  • Options
    nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,432
    Good luck Paul- this would be one hell of a score…
  • Options
    Great lot. 
    Let me just call my accountant. 
    Nope can’t do it.
    good luck 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Wow Paul! I totally get it.  Good luck with everything.  You planning on buying a portion of Man U? ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    edited April 2022
    🍿 

Don’t recall seeing the blue vs mentioned?

Paul being one of the biggest PJ collectors out there I’m sure that’s just something that slipped your mind lol. 

Either way best of luck with the sale. 
    Post edited by MUZIK on
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    MUZIK said:
    🍿 

Don’t recall seeing the blue vs mentioned?

Paul being one of the biggest PJ collectors out there I’m sure that’s just something that slipped your mind lol. 

Either way best of luck with the sale. 
    its noted in the vinyl section bud
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow Paul! I totally get it.  Good luck with everything.  You planning on buying a portion of Man U? ;)
    lol, not on your life.......the thought of indirectly contributing to their wages presently makes my blood boil ;)
  • Options
    topkickertopkicker Posts: 30
    You truly are the King, Paul. Your passion, knowledge and collection have inspired us for so many years. Thank you for everything. 
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    I got Dibs on the Set Lists when those go up.

Paul is the King, for sure.  Not only does he have every item, he is also one of the nicest, most helpful and friendly people on earth.  Never has a mean thing to say, doesn't acknowledge trolls and is usually the "voice of reason" in contentious matters.  All the best, mate.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lol, not on your life.......the thought of indirectly contributing to their wages presently makes my blood boil ;)
    ha ha.  Good luck bud!  Can't believe it was six years ago we met at msg!  Crazy how time flies.  
  • Options
    You guys are way way too kind. Thank you  <3
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Paul - it was the viewfinders right?  That’s what sent you over the edge right? 😂😂

Seriously I’m playing the lotto tonight.  Can’t even fathom what all this stuff looks like together and I have a lot of PJ related items!  Best of luck.  
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    LetMySpiritPassLetMySpiritPass Lakewood Colorado Posts: 200
    PM sent Paul!
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Give it to your kids to do as they wish or like the rest of us you’re screwed :)

kidding, sort of, but good luck!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Paul...best of luck. You've been very helpful & kind to me over the years sharing your knowledge and time. I am sorry that your collecting days are over but hoping that you'll continue to share your expertise here in the forums.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wait for another season, and you will be able to buy a majority stake in the club. Club is sinking fast
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Best of luck Paul, your collection is second to none and you are a solid mate as well....can't put a price tag on the time invested in accumulating your passion, much respect.....
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    PM sent Paul!
    Whoa!  
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Wow, best of luck with your sale, Paul. Thanks for all you've contributed - and hopefully will continue contributing - to our PJ community. You and your collection are both top shelf.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    It is the end of an era! Best wishes moving this along to the next VERY fortunate soul! Wowzers! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    edited April 2022
    Wow, that is one hell of a collection.  Wish I had the funds (of course if I did have the funds, the wife would probably not allow me to have all that anyway.  Ha!)

Just throwing this out there but please be sure you are not just "down in the dumps" due to the pandemic.  Would hate to see you offload all of this then regret it.  Only reason I bring that up is you mentioned this started when Gigaton came out.
    Post edited by hadfiiw on
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    hadfiiw said:
    Wow, that is one hell of a collection.  Wish I had the funds (of course if I did have the funds, the wife would probably not allow me to have all that anyway.  Ha!)

Just throwing this out there but please be sure you are not just "down in the dumps" due to the pandemic.  Would hate to see you offload all of this then regret it.
    Thanks - this isnt a spur of the moment thing. This is me with the drive gone......the connection to the items is just not there. I'm at peace with this but thanks for raising that - very cool of you to look out just in case
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    Cool man, no problem.  Good luck!
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    What a sad day for the PJ collectors community. I haven’t imagined that day in my wildest dreams. Good luck for your sale my friend. 
    One hand will wash the other!
  • Options
    Evel KEvel K Posts: 517
    Hey Paul,  Good luck with your sale!! I just want to second that I hope you stick around as the go to resident expert. It's like in Pawn Stars when they say "let me call my guy to come down and take a look at it". Always polite and very informative. 
    Things were different then
  • Options
    LetMySpiritPassLetMySpiritPass Lakewood Colorado Posts: 200
    Evel K said:
    Hey Paul,  Good luck with your sale!! I just want to second that I hope you stick around as the go to resident expert. It's like in Pawn Stars when they say "let me call my guy to come down and take a look at it". Always polite and very informative. 

100% agree!!!
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,531
    edited April 2022
    Jealous, impressed, amazed, and around $100K short. 

Best of luck!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Have you thought of using an auction house?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Definitely one of the few who I’ve bounced “what did I buy” questions to over the years (along with 100pacer).   

If you ever go granular and sell signed items by themselves I’m definitely interested