Options

Anyone in the market to buy a huge collection??

Comments

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,378
    edited April 2022
    @Rubysdad
    You should connect with Paul about his collection. It’s legendary. Would love to see a feature about it & Paul in DEEP. I’d love to see a digital museum worked into the site. One that is fan driven, not what’s already been done (which was amazing at PJ20 by the way!). 
    They already have an archivist and most likely already have this stuff in their archives. Plus ten times more. 
    Post edited by Guy Dudebro on
  • Options
    Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 617
    edited April 2022
    The ridiculous amount of merchandise Pearl Jam sell is a billion times beyond ridiculous! Come on please! People will buy any old crap, so just please stop selling it. Nobody gives a crap about music, they just like buying crap and to prove my point here is a guy trying to sell $100,000 worth of merchandise or crap depending on your point of view. 
    New game.....take a shot every time this guy says “crap”
    Ok- are you drunk yet? 
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    The ridiculous amount of merchandise Pearl Jam sell is a billion times beyond ridiculous! Come on please! People will buy any old crap, so just please stop selling it. Nobody gives a crap about music, they just like buying crap and to prove my point here is a guy trying to sell $100,000 worth of merchandise or crap depending on your point of view. 
    New game.....take a shot every time this guy says “crap”
    Sounds like a crappy game!!!!
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    There's a calculator?  I would be interested if you start selling items individually. 
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,820
    edited April 2022
    “Its hard to put a finger on it to be honest, but I've felt it coming since gigaton was released.”
    Did Gigaton really go down that badly with the die hard fans? I thought I’d was ok - same as ever, not really rocking the boat and all that but I didn’t think it would be the final straw for a die hard fan, as in ‘that’s it-  I never want to hear them again and am selling my collection worth 100,000” 
    My advice is sell the items separately. I seriously doubt anyone will spend that much on a collection
    Well, good question there. No not at all - I do not even dislike Gigaton. When it was released I really enjoyed it at that time of our lives, it was a tough time and the record was a real positive when the world was turning to shit. I played the hell out of it, and whilst it may not be my favourite record now, I do like several tracks from it. 

To clarify however, there was no suggestion at any point that 'I do not want to hear them again'....I honestly have no idea where you got that from. I believe the point in my post was to free up some cash to actually be able to focus on the live experiences. 

The decision took a few years to reach, and gigaton was used as a marker of where I noticed my interest in collecting had subsided and I no longer felt any excitement at getting new stuff. I was always a collector primarily of official music of the band, took a lot of pleasure in hunting down the catalogue from the different country presses and unique stickered items etc......I have a one of those brains whereby collecting is an 'all or nothing' thing. I cant dip my toe in, and just do a bit.......Its probably a personality disorder of some type, and its very hard to break. So I went at it hard and for years and years absolutely loved it, I had disposable cash and it was my number one hobby. When that spell breaks however - and the buzz is gone its a strange thing. There are some items in this collection that took me years to track down, a lot of it was bought even pre eBay from sources like record collector magazine, and mail order mailshots etc, It took a lot of networking with like minded folks to acquire items. Connections with radio stations, and people in labels, with the crew past and present. I was really into the official record label promo items as unique pieces that had true rarity. 

The game has moved on so much since the effect of streaming and digital music really decimated the physical media. Record labels rarely make promo items now, and we are left with items being created that no longer hold that magic for me. It was something I never saw coming personally but its funny how time and situations can really shift a persons priorities. That is me, I woke up to the realisation that whilst ive got an incredible collection that I am lucky to have, its time for me to take stock of my life and put a few things in order. The cost of living is vastly increasing, (and again I have to acknowledge that I am at this point maybe lucky that I can ride that out) and to be able to reduce the burden for my family is something I really need to do as my kids grow older and our exposure to costs increases. 

I'll likely miss some of this stuff, but I'll always be able to look back fondly at the years I loved it, and most vitally the many many friends I acquired along the way. 

But to get back to point, yes I still absolutely love this band, and whilst not all of Gigaton is perfect, its a damn solid album. Very much looking forward to seeing those tracks live in the summer. Particularly Whoever Said, No Escape, Superblood, Seven O Clock and hopefully hopefully river cross. 

I fully expected to be selling individually to be honest, its a daunting task but it'll be bit by bit. I'm sure I'll end up keeping  some of the most treasured pieces as it gets going. This was just a quick shout out on the very unlikely off chance there was someone out there fortunate enough and perhaps crazy enough to take it on. Did i think that would happen? No
    Post edited by pdalowsky on
  • Options
    Maybe we should put this down to a bad day? No one gives a crap about music? really? It was the connection to the music in those very early years that sent me down this rabbit hole. As cliched as it is, I was deeply connected to it, and that was and is what my collection derived from. Your comment is for me, 100% baseless and lazy. People like buying crap? whatever. 
  • Options
    “Its hard to put a finger on it to be honest, but I've felt it coming since gigaton was released.”
    Did Gigaton really go down that badly with the die hard fans? I thought I’d was ok - same as ever, not really rocking the boat and all that but I didn’t think it would be the final straw for a die hard fan, as in ‘that’s it-  I never want to hear them again and am selling my collection worth 100,000” 
    My advice is sell the items separately. I seriously doubt anyone will spend that much on a collection
    As a collector I could see how the fun ran out after Gigaton. Just not the same volume of stuff like it used to be during the Epic years. Those were the golden years of collecting. Tons of singles, alt singles, amazing show posters, quirky promos of all sorts and shirts. 
    100% this Chris. 
  • Options
    @Rubysdad
    You should connect with Paul about his collection. It’s legendary. Would love to see a feature about it & Paul in DEEP. I’d love to see a digital museum worked into the site. One that is fan driven, not what’s already been done (which was amazing at PJ20 by the way!). 
    They already have an archivist and most likely already have this stuff in their archives. Plus ten times more. 
    Absolutely correct, although there are items missing in all that, Kevin is a fascinating guy to chat to. 
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    There's a calculator?  I would be interested if you start selling items individually. 
    It was an Epic No code promo - its one of those very old flat solar powered jobs in a very flimsy cheap plastic wallets. 
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 424
    Paul, the news that you are selling your collection, touched me more than it should. Great to hear that you are at peace with your decision. 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:
    It was an Epic No code promo - its one of those very old flat solar powered jobs in a very flimsy cheap plastic wallets. 
    Given my profession as a numbers cruncher, I would be interested in the calculator.  I think I have all the notebooks already.  I never knew there was a binder either.
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:
    Given my profession as a numbers cruncher, I would be interested in the calculator.  I think I have all the notebooks already.  I never knew there was a binder either.
    https://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=84814

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pearl-jam-vitalogy-promo-ring-binder-1907130800
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,634
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pearl-jam-vitalogy-promo-ring-binder-1907130800
    Great items and history lesson! Sad to see a great collector move on but exciting to see what may become available. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,403
    I've always admired your collection, Paul and wish you the best of luck with your sale! I'd be interested in a few items here and there potentially, but I am also thinning my collection a bit lately. 

I hope you're sticking around here, my friend!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Good luck with your sale, Paul!!!  Amazing collection and very good guy here.  Never met but have communicated with you several times.  I am interested to see the items for sale as well when you list individual prices.  I, like you, have decided to stop collecting things just for the mere sake of collecting.  Still interested in the vinyl, but see no need for going crazy for every colored version of every LP.  At some point you have to ask… Why the hell do I need that?  Life is too short, and experiences and memories are more important than “stuff.”  You don’t have to explain yourself in selling your collection, but thanks for the information.  Some of us can relate…
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,079
    wow, that would be a tough decision to reach, I'm sure. I agonize over selling one freaking poster, never mind the collection you have hunted down and amassed over the years. well done, Paul. good luck. I hope I can score a signed Winnipeg poster if you have one when/if you decide to sell individual items. But sincerely hope for your own sanity that you can sell as one collection. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Evel KEvel K Posts: 520
    wow, that would be a tough decision to reach, I'm sure. I agonize over selling one freaking poster, never mind the collection you have hunted down and amassed over the years. well done, Paul. good luck. I hope I can score a signed Winnipeg poster if you have one when/if you decide to sell individual items. But sincerely hope for your own sanity that you can sell as one collection. 
    With a collection this large and all encompassing the next step would have to be lots. Maybe the zippo collection all or none, then posters then vinyl. Sadly I would be priced out of all of these but one lot could save you a bunch of headaches. That vinyl collection alone could probably be broken down by years. Incredible collection!! If there's a spreadsheet, it would probably crash my phone!!
    Things were different then
  • Options
    cmalisze said:
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:

Great items and history lesson! Sad to see a great collector move on but exciting to see what may become available. 
    Thanks for the links!  I've had several of those calculators (without the PJ) and they are the cheapest calculators ever made.  Such a strange promo.  

Has there ever been an official promo pen? 
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,323
    @pdalowsky the GOAT!
  • Options
    wwsuicide said:
    @pdalowsky the GOAT!
    LOL
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    cmalisze said:
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:
    pdalowsky said:
    CopperTom said:

Thanks for the links!  I've had several of those calculators (without the PJ) and they are the cheapest calculators ever made.  Such a strange promo.  

Has there ever been an official promo pen? 
    I believe it was made by Sony France. To be fair a lot of the promo items are fairly cheap in terms of the product used (a few notable exceptions of course such as the ipod), what i love about it is that it seems to have been made by the manufacturer and not just stickered or stamped.

I have never seen a pen, you've got me thinking.....fairly sure there hasnt been one, but I bet such things exist at the Tenc
  • Options
    100% mate, we are perhaps wired up very similarly !!!!

I cant see it happened so its going to be a fairly lengthly task of compiling categories and individual photos, but who doesnt love a challenge!!
  • Options
    Evel K said:
    With a collection this large and all encompassing the next step would have to be lots. Maybe the zippo collection all or none, then posters then vinyl. Sadly I would be priced out of all of these but one lot could save you a bunch of headaches. That vinyl collection alone could probably be broken down by years. Incredible collection!! If there's a spreadsheet, it would probably crash my phone!!
    Definitely open to this, just gotta put the work in now to create a comprehensive schedule of each part 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,723
    cockage said:
    Fuck. 

• Options
    jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    Holy shit. 

There has to be a PJ museum or gallery that would buy this from you. Or someone could establish one with this massive of a collection. 
    Best of luck selling! 
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 786
    Best wishes Paul!  Your collection is top shelf.  I’ll be curious what new pursuits you take on once the PJ collection is unloaded.  Always welcome here with or without the collection.  Cheers!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,880
    We will miss you....sort of like a Roman God disappearing 

Insert crying cat emoji

Good luck on a new passion.  Maybe the band would be interested for the museum?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    @Rubysdad
    I know they do, but I doubt that person collected niche Epic/Sony releases. I think their job if I remember right was more materials from shows, and touring life, not every single known release of the 'Daughter' 45. Fuck, maybe I'm wrong, but it would be amazing if we could instigate a connection to the band for Paul to have that discussion. Kevin Shuss is the dude right? What's his board handle? How do we reach him? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,079
    hrd2imgn said:

Insert crying cat emoji

he's not leaving, just selling. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hrd2imgn said:

Insert crying cat emoji

he's not leaving, just selling. 
    100% this, I'm like a cockroach - I'm going nowhere ;)