Options

Fan to Fan Ticket Exchange

Comments

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    I guess my perspective as a longtime 10c member is that we still have access to very reasonably priced tickets in the best seats (GA) in the house.
    if you look at Nashville, it has been sold out for 2 years. Whatever got returned a good amount or most of them got put back into a pool for 10c members. If the cost of that is 200 tickets out of 16k being put up as Platinum tickets I think it’s a good trade off.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 587
    jdopj said:
    I guess my perspective as a longtime 10c member is that we still have access to very reasonably priced tickets in the best seats (GA) in the house.
    if you look at Nashville, it has been sold out for 2 years. Whatever got returned a good amount or most of them got put back into a pool for 10c members. If the cost of that is 200 tickets out of 16k being put up as Platinum tickets I think it’s a good trade off.
    Agreed. I think the other thing I try to remember in terms of playing ball with TM and Platinum is that they are making choices that benefit their whole Pearl Jam/Ten Club work crew. They obviously made a decision that they thought was still fair for most fans while also creating more money for a crew that probably has been hurting for two years. 

Also, unless they are GA or really choice seats, I would guess many seats would stay up on f2f until closer to the date. The 'not-knowing' when is annoying and TM sucks for sure.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,830
    edited April 2022
    jdopj said:
    I agree to a point. I think 200 tickets is a very low estimation. I think I counted 500 tickets at its peak for Vegas and that was available not including what sold already or will be dropped later. Maybe the reschedules had less I honestly did not follow those as closely. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,262
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    DF220512 said:
    Long time lurker, but I'm going to post for fun.  I agree with everything that has been said... but there is another perspective missing from this discussion.  For decades, fan club members (not just of Pearl Jam, but other bands too) have used their early access/preferential treatment for tickets they knew they might not use (life could get in the way, they could score better seats through an alternate vendor, they could be used as trade-bait for shows they really wanted to get tickets to, etc.).  Then, when tickets went on sale to the general public, non-fan club members didn't have access to those seats, still inflating the price of tickets on the secondary market against the band's wishes.  

What TM and PJ are doing right now by inflating prices and by delaying us from "trading out" our tickets, will eventually render our seats worth less than face value closer to the show.  This will have burned some of their fan club members (for this tour) who will be more cautious with what tickets they buy for future tours. With fan club members requesting less tickets, more will go on sale to the general public, lowering the cost of resale values (perhaps.)

Again, I type this as an angry fan who can't sell back tickets post-pandemic... but I do see how, in the long-term, it may fix two issues at the same time which ends up lowering prices and increasing availability for everyone... especially with as few tours these guys go on anymore.  
    Another point I've also considered. The remedy would be to limit requests to shows to zip codes within a certain perimeter.  This would alleviate the nation-wide pressure per show for the reasons you've mentioned.  

That could be viewed as another limitation to access shows for fans living near msg. We already get few shows per capita. For many of us the only option is to get in a car or plane and travel
    the idea of limiting requests to zip codes so people stop buying tickets they dont need, it might be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on here yet. 
    Define need. You can't.  I need MSG tickets to trade for a PJ20 Mural. See the point. 
    replace "dont need" with "have  no intention of using".  make sense now? i dont see your point, no. you dont have one.
    I live in IL. I have someone willing to trade me a PJ20 mural for 1 ticket to MSG. I want the PJ20 mural. Therefore I NEED 1 ticket to USE in a trade. Currently I could potentially pull this off if I lived in Asia but had no intention of ATTENDING the show. Theoretically by living closer to a venue there is a greater chance of ATTENDING a show.  Hence my solution to alleviate the stress on tickets.  You sure I don't have a point?
    potentially, theoretically.... 

you have a point, a ridiculous one, but a point none the less
    Why do you think ridiculous? I'm agreeing with you that it would be easier if folks only put in for shows they would attend. We know fans travel and shows are hard to come by.  My suggestion is in recognition of your point. 
    I think it is ridiculous to suggest limiting shows to local zipcodes. Not even realistic.  I suggested a start would be people stop buying tickets they arent going to use, only to be screaming for a ticket exchange a week later.  you said something about fans traveling in response to that.  I still dont know what that has to do with people buying tickets they dont use. then the point about what need is, and trading for a poster with someone from asia, i'm still lost.  i guess all i'm saying is, the people screaming for a ticket exchange, in many cases bought tickets they had no business buying in the first place.  its the neurotic pearl jam fan syndrome. 

and there is no reason to wait around for ticketmaster to wipe your ass for you.  if you have tickets to sell, find someone who wants the tickets and figure it out.  its not hard.  
    I think you're underestimating the logistics of a trip and the timing of ticket drops. Couple that with the advertised ability to sell at no cost or particular hassle is alluring. Why wouldn't everyone? Makes too much sense. Many sports teams limit sales to zip codes for this exact reason. The Nashville Predators wouldn't sell to Chicago area residents back in the day because Hawks fans traveled too well and Nashville residents get shut out. Suggesting anyone is waiting for TM to "wipe your ass" is laughable....it's pretty simple TM is the only one in the world with toilet paper and all fans are left with is diarrhea.  Figure it out. 
    I am well aware of the logistics of trips. So you think it makes perfectly good sense for people to buy tickets to shows they arent going to? got it. I think its classic neurotic pearl jam fan behavior.  

i think its laughable to bitch about a fan exchange, when all you have to do is find a fan and exchange yourself.  some will play checkers, and some will play chess. 
    I'm saying people may not be certain their ability to attend a show 6 months away from ticket release. Because of that it seems reasonable one would attempt to obtain tickets knowing full well that they will have something easily sellable as there is always desire for PJ tickets on resale or the new F2F but the catch is they can only be sold for face value on TM platform. Everyone without knowledge of ability but with desire to possibly attend should/would put in. It's laughable you think people are now going to kindly pass on an opportunity to obtain seats for any city at this point considering the outrageous "PJ Platinum" this has only compounded the very issue you're asking people to kindly stop contribute to. If "PJ Platinum" is to remain, which it certainly will then I think it is reasonable to limit requests to zip codes of which are most likely to attend based on proximity. This will then extremely limit the F2F sales and then when the "PJ Platinum" prices are made known they will be a better reflection of the actual "market."

I'm well aware of methods to circumvent the current system. Load to someone's wallet, walk someone in, give account login info or  transfer if in CO NY IL. I'm too busy providing solutions or suggestions for a system it seems many here care about. I've already long ago understood the holes in the situation as I see them. I've already moved on to solutions. Who is playing chess really?
    This is the beauty of what is happening. If you can't attend don't buy the fucking tickets. F2F was probably intended to be an emergency thing and there were THOUSANDS of assholes who gobbled up tickets they would never use.  People try to trade or parlay one venue into other seats or a different venue. Fuck those people. Within HOURS of Camden people were trying to trade for msg or Nashville. Fuck those people. Their plans or emergencies didn't come up mere minutes after they bought tix.

Maybe this is there way of deterring people from buying what they won't use? F2F should be very limited quantities not a full resale mechanism.

I would blame the people who tried to game the system not the band.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    How would you all feel about the Tool model?
    Fan Club members can buy VIP Packages between $300-$500 a ticket with great seats, merch and early entry to buy more merchandise 
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    jdopj said:
    Fan Club members can buy VIP Packages between $300-$500 a ticket with great seats, merch and early entry to buy more merchandise 
    Guarantee of seats?  Or, very similar to DMB/Warehouse $800/pair Premium Packages?
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    jdopj said:
    This is my perspective as well. I think in general the band takes pretty good care of its fans. I understand the reasons some folks are frustrated and I don't think it's entirely reasonable to be frustrated about timelines or missing shows but I do feel like a lot of that frustration is misdirected.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    dmbolp said:
    jdopj said:
    Guarantee of seats?  Or, very similar to DMB/Warehouse $800/pair Premium Packages?
    I’ve done it 3 times, sat in the first 5 rows each time
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,881
    jdopj said:
    Camden didn't get the best seats, and that wasn't a result of returned tickets getting put in the Premium pool. Not sure about any of the new shows out west, but I think the days of "at least we get the best seats" are over. 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    jdopj said:
    dmbolp said:
    jdopj said:
    I’ve done it 3 times, sat in the first 5 rows each time
    Sounds like DMB's Premium process.  You put in a request, a lottery is held, tickets are in the first 15 rows, or in the Pit if you want.  You also get 2 show posters, 2 other pieces of merch (like a blanket and a thermos), premium parking, and early entry, for $835 shipped.
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    jdopj said:
    Fan Club members can buy VIP Packages between $300-$500 a ticket with great seats, merch and early entry
    As someone who doesn't collect vinyl or merch, it would be fine with me - if it was an optional add on if you "won" 10c seats in the lottery,  limited/ended PJ Premium, and kept ticket prices reasonable for the rest of us.

I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    No interest at all in merch. I may be interested in one local show per tour at those prices, but I wouldn't add travel costs on top. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    This is the beauty of what is happening. If you can't attend don't buy the fucking tickets. F2F was probably intended to be an emergency thing and there were THOUSANDS of assholes who gobbled up tickets they would never use.  People try to trade or parlay one venue into other seats or a different venue. Fuck those people. Within HOURS of Camden people were trying to trade for msg or Nashville. Fuck those people. Their plans or emergencies didn't come up mere minutes after they bought tix.

Maybe this is there way of deterring people from buying what they won't use? F2F should be very limited quantities not a full resale mechanism.

Yup, you see it with literally everything Pearl Jam.  No matter what it is people will buy it an instantly try to trade/sell it,  while everyone is complaining about the band and flippers.  
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    apirk72 said:

Yup, you see it with literally everything Pearl Jam.  No matter what it is people will buy it an instantly try to trade/sell it,  while everyone is complaining about the band and flippers.  
    This is called good business. PJ is capitalizing on their fans desire to purchase stuff. People will buy may as well provide.

As for tickets, don't hate the player hate the game. This is an entire system promoting to secure as many seats to as many shows as possible and figure it out from there. Mark my words with "PJ Platinum" now being a thing and prices for the best seats being outrageous people (myself included) will put in for all shows and figure out tour travel plans from there. I'd rather give myself the better chance at face value seats and then travel (when I am traveling anyway) to those shows when known then put in for shows close to me or that I hope to be able to go to and ultimately get shut out then forced to pay crazy prices for PJ Platinum. Simply saying don't put in for shows you don't intend to attend is comical. Are folks new here? Fans wish to attend all shows. This is the beauty of this band when touring NEVER a tough time reselling a seat...until now. Maybe the days of folks following the entire tour are over due to the new system (inability to plan travel with reasonably priced good seats) but what isn't over is there being way more requests for seats than 10c can now provide. Which is why a fair suggestion is to limit ticket requests by location. This either nudges the band to tour more extensively through the country or they risk losing members but recover the money via higher prices. Another option is nothing changes and fans grin and bear it but without communication and transparency this would be a terrible plan, as we are seeing this run of shows. 
  • Options
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    DF220512 said:
    Long time lurker, but I'm going to post for fun.  I agree with everything that has been said... but there is another perspective missing from this discussion.  For decades, fan club members (not just of Pearl Jam, but other bands too) have used their early access/preferential treatment for tickets they knew they might not use (life could get in the way, they could score better seats through an alternate vendor, they could be used as trade-bait for shows they really wanted to get tickets to, etc.).  Then, when tickets went on sale to the general public, non-fan club members didn't have access to those seats, still inflating the price of tickets on the secondary market against the band's wishes.  

What TM and PJ are doing right now by inflating prices and by delaying us from "trading out" our tickets, will eventually render our seats worth less than face value closer to the show.  This will have burned some of their fan club members (for this tour) who will be more cautious with what tickets they buy for future tours. With fan club members requesting less tickets, more will go on sale to the general public, lowering the cost of resale values (perhaps.)

Again, I type this as an angry fan who can't sell back tickets post-pandemic... but I do see how, in the long-term, it may fix two issues at the same time which ends up lowering prices and increasing availability for everyone... especially with as few tours these guys go on anymore.  
    Another point I've also considered. The remedy would be to limit requests to shows to zip codes within a certain perimeter.  This would alleviate the nation-wide pressure per show for the reasons you've mentioned.  

That could be viewed as another limitation to access shows for fans living near msg. We already get few shows per capita. For many of us the only option is to get in a car or plane and travel
    the idea of limiting requests to zip codes so people stop buying tickets they dont need, it might be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on here yet. 
    Define need. You can't.  I need MSG tickets to trade for a PJ20 Mural. See the point. 
    replace "dont need" with "have  no intention of using".  make sense now? i dont see your point, no. you dont have one.
    I live in IL. I have someone willing to trade me a PJ20 mural for 1 ticket to MSG. I want the PJ20 mural. Therefore I NEED 1 ticket to USE in a trade. Currently I could potentially pull this off if I lived in Asia but had no intention of ATTENDING the show. Theoretically by living closer to a venue there is a greater chance of ATTENDING a show.  Hence my solution to alleviate the stress on tickets.  You sure I don't have a point?
    potentially, theoretically.... 

you have a point, a ridiculous one, but a point none the less
    Why do you think ridiculous? I'm agreeing with you that it would be easier if folks only put in for shows they would attend. We know fans travel and shows are hard to come by.  My suggestion is in recognition of your point. 
    I think it is ridiculous to suggest limiting shows to local zipcodes. Not even realistic.  I suggested a start would be people stop buying tickets they arent going to use, only to be screaming for a ticket exchange a week later.  you said something about fans traveling in response to that.  I still dont know what that has to do with people buying tickets they dont use. then the point about what need is, and trading for a poster with someone from asia, i'm still lost.  i guess all i'm saying is, the people screaming for a ticket exchange, in many cases bought tickets they had no business buying in the first place.  its the neurotic pearl jam fan syndrome. 

and there is no reason to wait around for ticketmaster to wipe your ass for you.  if you have tickets to sell, find someone who wants the tickets and figure it out.  its not hard.  
    I think you're underestimating the logistics of a trip and the timing of ticket drops. Couple that with the advertised ability to sell at no cost or particular hassle is alluring. Why wouldn't everyone? Makes too much sense. Many sports teams limit sales to zip codes for this exact reason. The Nashville Predators wouldn't sell to Chicago area residents back in the day because Hawks fans traveled too well and Nashville residents get shut out. Suggesting anyone is waiting for TM to "wipe your ass" is laughable....it's pretty simple TM is the only one in the world with toilet paper and all fans are left with is diarrhea.  Figure it out. 
    I am well aware of the logistics of trips. So you think it makes perfectly good sense for people to buy tickets to shows they arent going to? got it. I think its classic neurotic pearl jam fan behavior.  

i think its laughable to bitch about a fan exchange, when all you have to do is find a fan and exchange yourself.  some will play checkers, and some will play chess. 
    I'm saying people may not be certain their ability to attend a show 6 months away from ticket release. Because of that it seems reasonable one would attempt to obtain tickets knowing full well that they will have something easily sellable as there is always desire for PJ tickets on resale or the new F2F but the catch is they can only be sold for face value on TM platform. Everyone without knowledge of ability but with desire to possibly attend should/would put in. It's laughable you think people are now going to kindly pass on an opportunity to obtain seats for any city at this point considering the outrageous "PJ Platinum" this has only compounded the very issue you're asking people to kindly stop contribute to. If "PJ Platinum" is to remain, which it certainly will then I think it is reasonable to limit requests to zip codes of which are most likely to attend based on proximity. This will then extremely limit the F2F sales and then when the "PJ Platinum" prices are made known they will be a better reflection of the actual "market."

I'm well aware of methods to circumvent the current system. Load to someone's wallet, walk someone in, give account login info or  transfer if in CO NY IL. I'm too busy providing solutions or suggestions for a system it seems many here care about. I've already long ago understood the holes in the situation as I see them. I've already moved on to solutions. Who is playing chess really?

Not sure why you're mad at fans when it is us being "gamed." If now the option is only put in for a local show or one you intend to attend at a normal cost and keep fingers crossed, pay PJ Premium to the show you hoped for, or give yourself the best opportunity to secure tickets (if location doesn't matter) by putting in for all shows in order to see a show at face value - which are you taking?

It's cute to say "fuck those people" but this is a system promoting exactly what you're against. Next will be people don't need to see 8 shows a tour "fuck them." Laughable.

PJ has a good fan club model based on what we have all experienced the last several years but, it's time for a tweak as the "game" has now changed and significantly as it relates to securing tickets to the less than ample shows. 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    cmalisze said:
    apirk72 said:

This is called good business. PJ is capitalizing on their fans desire to purchase stuff. People will buy may as well provide.

As for tickets, don't hate the player hate the game. This is an entire system promoting to secure as many seats to as many shows as possible and figure it out from there. Mark my words with "PJ Platinum" now being a thing and prices for the best seats being outrageous people (myself included) will put in for all shows and figure out tour travel plans from there. I'd rather give myself the better chance at face value seats and then travel (when I am traveling anyway) to those shows when known then put in for shows close to me or that I hope to be able to go to and ultimately get shut out then forced to pay crazy prices for PJ Platinum. Simply saying don't put in for shows you don't intend to attend is comical. Are folks new here? Fans wish to attend all shows. This is the beauty of this band when touring NEVER a tough time reselling a seat...until now. Maybe the days of folks following the entire tour are over due to the new system (inability to plan travel with reasonably priced good seats) but what isn't over is there being way more requests for seats than 10c can now provide. Which is why a fair suggestion is to limit ticket requests by location. This either nudges the band to tour more extensively through the country or they risk losing members but recover the money via higher prices. Another option is nothing changes and fans grin and bear it but without communication and transparency this would be a terrible plan, as we are seeing this run of shows. 
    I think as the band ages, we are going to see a large shift towards playing less and less "small towns" and more of the easy sell out cities, unfortunately.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    cmalisze said:
    apirk72 said:

I think as the band ages, we are going to see a large shift towards playing less and less "small towns" and more of the easy sell out cities, unfortunately.
    Then they risk losing fan club members and the generated revenue under my "plan." The money can be recovered via higher fan club fees, higher ticket prices, more merch sales etc. This tour does give hope of lesser markets getting shows. OKC and Nashville are indicators. Tons of shows in CA prove shows in smaller markets can be done, if managed properly. 
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,881
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    apirk72 said:

Then they risk losing fan club members and the generated revenue under my "plan." The money can be recovered via higher fan club fees, higher ticket prices, more merch sales etc. This tour does give hope of lesser markets getting shows. OKC and Nashville are indicators. Tons of shows in CA prove shows in smaller markets can be done, if managed properly. 

So, their options under your plan are:
    A. Tour more in more cities.
    B. Charge fans more for less access.
    C. Make less money.

Yeah, I don't see them jumping at any of those options. I think one of the things the band truly loves is that fans travel to shows, so I can't see them instituting a "zip code" limit and telling fans that they can't travel to shows, regardless of impact to the bottom line.

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    Yah, I tend to think more of the status quo. They don't seem like a band who's going to expand their tours.   You never know what might happen when they get empty nester syndrome, but as it currently stands, they only like to tour so much.  My guess is more of the same.   Mostly bigger markets, spread out so people can travel to them.  The odd random small market shows.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mpedone said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    apirk72 said:

B. Charge fans more for less access., 
    C. Make less money.

Yeah, I don't see them jumping at any of those options. I think one of the things the band truly loves is that fans travel to shows, so I can't see them instituting a "zip code" limit and telling fans that they can't travel to shows, regardless of impact to the bottom line.

Who ever said they can't travel? If F2F is operable and working for the fans, instead of TM/PJ, then many still could/would travel. 

Options: 

A.  Tour more in more cities. - this is ideal. More dates would diminish the value of a ticket or "need" for fans to obtain multiple shows. This would also justify my thought of specific zip codes having access to "local" shows only. Remember, if F2F, local fans with no intention of attending still likely would apply for tickets helping those to travel should they wish. Help would come in the way of F2F or any of the other methods that have been discussed to navigate this system. This is actually "spreading the wealth." 

B. Charging fans more for tickets, fan club fees, or merch is not limiting access.  It is actually assuring that, in most cases, fans will actually use the benefits.  At this point, given all things, if I was a Vegas or TX resident what is the benefit in being a member anyway? You MAYBE get tickets to a show that you HAVE to travel to? Somehow, Vegas got a show this leg but when will be the next? There is no benefit anymore in being a 10c member unless you are worried about $200.  There are killer seats available all throughout the May leg for roughly $100-200 more than "face" on "PJ Premium." I would think many (aside from those in locations that get ample shows) would opt out of being a fan club member. Why really pay the fee at this point if I can choose my ideal seats and for nearly the price of the actual ticket and 10c membership combined. When GNR first went on tour they literally mandated fan club memberships for various locations in the venue and sold them as a package with tickets directly on TM. Is this next for PJ? Additionally, limiting access by zip code could mean Chicago shows are accessible to the entire mid-west. It is manageable, with effort. 

C. Nothing I have ever suggested would make PJ/10C/TM less money. You may be right that the band "loves" that fans travel but, now we know to what extent they love it. They only love it when people can afford it and at their now outrageous asking price. I would imagine the travelling fan will diminish thanks to the current "PJ Premium" model. Get shutout of a show you hoped to travel to......no ability to have tickets sold or transferred to you at a reasonable price, no understanding of when reasonably priced tickets will become available, airline flights/hotels increasing on the daily, but here buy an overpriced "PJ Premium" pair where the market is extremely manipulated and you taken advantage of simply so one can plan travel. You sure they actually love that fans travel or that fans will PAY anything to travel to areas only they wish to play in. Their prerogative but a significant difference.  

As I may have not so clearly said, limiting access to tickets based on location is also not a new practice for many industries, including concerts. This never has or will diminish profits for the promoter, act, or venue. Fans travelling has been a large part of the band's experience but, I will suggest that the lure of travelling was due to reasonably priced seats for 100% of the venue, with ample time to plan for travel, while also being clearly communicated to and honestly dealt with from a business aspect by the 10C/PJ/ and maybe TM? LOL 

Whereas we could have always counted on going 2-3 sadly, in today's day and age of PJ - fans are 0-3. 
    Post edited by cmalisze on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    I think it's wishful thinking that a band that likes to tour in moderation is all of a sudden going to do bigger more expansive tours.

I think a big part of the travel, is that PJ tours tend to be smaller and more concise, so for most PJ fans there's no options to see them unless you travel.  I also don't expect that to change.  I don't think its the cheaper ticket prices that cause people to travel, it's the lack of options.   It's also the varied setlists.  Most other bands like Metallica, U2, etc.. if they play 2 shows in the city closest to me I go to one.   I never have the urge to go to both, because they're almost the same shows give or take 3 or 4 songs.   PJ fans also go to multiples because the shows are different every night.

I think at this point if your hoping PJ tours more, you're going to need to hope they get empty nester syndrome as their kids grow up and move out.  The restlessness could cause them to tour more :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I think it's wishful thinking that a band that likes to tour in moderation is all of a sudden going to do bigger more expansive tours.

I think a big part of the travel, is that PJ tours tend to be smaller and more concise, so for most PJ fans there's no options to see them unless you travel.  I also don't expect that to change.  I don't think its the cheaper ticket prices that cause people to travel, it's the lack of options.   It's also the varied setlists.  Most other bands like Metallica, U2, etc.. if they play 2 shows in the city closest to me I go to one.   I never have the urge to go to both, because they're almost the same shows give or take 3 or 4 songs.   PJ fans also go to multiples because the shows are different every night.

I think at this point if your hoping PJ tours more, you're going to need to hope they get empty nester syndrome as their kids grow up and move out.  The restlessness could cause them to tour more :)
    I just connected with several Tool fans this last tour. Tool is amazing live.....plays nearly the same set each night (less 1 or 2 songs)......people travel a ton to see them.  DMB tours every year...plays the same HUGE venues....new sets......new merch....people travel a ton to see them. The lack of options you speak of are absolutely another root cause of the travel but, if prices were "market" I am not sure how much having a lack of options matters when you only have so much money to go around. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    cmalisze said:
    mpedone said:
    cmalisze said:
    cmalisze said:
    apirk72 said:

B. Charge fans more for less access., 
    C. Make less money.

Who ever said they can't travel? If F2F is operable and working for the fans, instead of TM/PJ, then many still could/would travel. 

Options: 

A.  Tour more in more cities. - this is ideal. More dates would diminish the value of a ticket or "need" for fans to obtain multiple shows. This would also justify my thought of specific zip codes having access to "local" shows only. Remember, if F2F, local fans with no intention of attending still likely would apply for tickets helping those to travel should they wish. Help would come in the way of F2F or any of the other methods that have been discussed to navigate this system. This is actually "spreading the wealth." 

B. Charging fans more for tickets, fan club fees, or merch is not limiting access.  It is actually assuring that, in most cases, fans will actually use the benefits.  At this point, given all things, if I was a Vegas or TX resident what is the benefit in being a member anyway? You MAYBE get tickets to a show that you HAVE to travel to? Somehow, Vegas got a show this leg but when will be the next? There is no benefit anymore in being a 10c member unless you are worried about $200.  There are killer seats available all throughout the May leg for roughly $100-200 more than "face" on "PJ Premium." I would think many (aside from those in locations that get ample shows) would opt out of being a fan club member. Why really pay the fee at this point if I can choose my ideal seats and for nearly the price of the actual ticket and 10c membership combined. When GNR first went on tour they literally mandated fan club memberships for various locations in the venue and sold them as a package with tickets directly on TM. Is this next for PJ? Additionally, limiting access by zip code could mean Chicago shows are accessible to the entire mid-west. It is manageable, with effort. 

C. Nothing I have ever suggested would make PJ/10C/TM less money. You may be right that the band "loves" that fans travel but, now we know to what extent they love it. They only love it when people can afford it and at their now outrageous asking price. I would imagine the travelling fan will diminish thanks to the current "PJ Premium" model. Get shutout of a show you hoped to travel to......no ability to have tickets sold or transferred to you at a reasonable price, no understanding of when reasonably priced tickets will become available, airline flights/hotels increasing on the daily, but here buy an overpriced "PJ Premium" pair where the market is extremely manipulated and you taken advantage of simply so one can plan travel. You sure they actually love that fans travel or that fans will PAY anything to travel to areas only they wish to play in. Their prerogative but a significant difference.  

As I may have not so clearly said, limiting access to tickets based on location is also not a new practice for many industries, including concerts. This never has or will diminish profits for the promoter, act, or venue. Fans travelling has been a large part of the band's experience but, I will suggest that the lure of travelling was due to reasonably priced seats for 100% of the venue, with ample time to plan for travel, while also being clearly communicated to and honestly dealt with from a business aspect by the 10C/PJ/ and maybe TM? LOL 

Whereas we could have always counted on going 2-3 sadly, in today's day and age of PJ - fans are 0-3. 

I think what we see is what we will get, in the good years 20  to 35 shows per year, alternating US, Europe (and footy land is waaay overdue for some shows). Some years will have zero shows.

The current tour demonstrates if you are anywhere the northeastern US, membership fees are an absolute necessity. Other regions of the US, maybe can squeak by without it.

This tour, Had they insisted on one thing with LN, fans have full access to face value resales, this years ticketing process would have been a home run. Too bad one crappy LN limitation on the marketplace ruins an otherwise good effort (I’ll ignore the bizarre LA ticket passcode freeze atm).
  • Options
    AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    Vegas was WAY more than I expected so I have to give mine up. Flights from Denver are $500 a piece and a cheap hotel is still $350+. Just not worth it right now. I keep hoping that flights will go down and maybe ill go 
  • Options
    DC40485DC40485 Posts: 19
    So when does the fan 2 fan ticket exchange open? 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    DC40485 said:
    So when does the fan 2 fan ticket exchange open? 
    No one knows.  Best guess is 2 weeks before the first show so maybe next Tuesday.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    The only way I'd be willing to spend $300/$500 on a ticket is if they played in my hometown and I didn't have to spend any additional money going to the show.  Eat and drink at home and get dropped off at the venue. Even then, I'm not sure I'd do it. Hard to justify spending that much on concert tickets. For me at least. 
  • Options
    Ando said:
    Vegas was WAY more than I expected so I have to give mine up. Flights from Denver are $500 a piece and a cheap hotel is still $350+. Just not worth it right now. I keep hoping that flights will go down and maybe ill go 
    I am sorry this happened to you. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

I was planning on Vegas as well but once I saw flights and hotel costs it made too much sense to do Oakland and get two shows for nearly the same overall cost give or take. The timing for me personally ended up being better as well. This all literally happened within 48 hours of being notified of having won Vegas seats. Because of several factors (some beyond my control) I was planning a trip to Oakland without tickets (shutout of all verified/10c requests for them) before evening knowing the location of my seats in Vegas...yet we have other members comfortable saying "fuck those people" when many of "those people" are well intended and its circumstances/timing beyond control causing decisions to be made nobody ever intended to make. 

Perfection will never be obtainable, I absolutely understand this. There are just so many better ways to manage this than how it is currently being handled. 

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,988
    Ando said:
    I had originally planned to do Vegas but now I'm doing both LA shows instead.  Flying in from Atlanta, I can't justify spending all that travel expense for just 1 Vegas show.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    Y’all these dudes are all going to be near 60 when the next record comes out. They’re not suddenly going to start touring *more* for longer stretches of time. 
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
This discussion has been closed.