Ohana 2022?

Comments

• matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    Yeah I really can’t seeing Pearl Jam headlining again.
  • KB82926KB82926 Posts: 60
    Three PJ shows in the same location in only 8 days was too good to be true.  Glad I lived it. 

Since Stone and Ed will be there regardless, a Sunday night PJ show doesn't seem too unrealistic.  Looks like the 2021 Encore was announced in July so was not surprised it was not sold-out.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    Took a flier on a refundable hotel the second weekend in October while prices were low. Hoping we get an Encore weekend again, even if PJ doesn’t headline multiple nights. Looking back at the lineup from Encore night 2, there were at least 3 Grammy nominees playing that I could recall (Brandi, Yola, Mon Laferte). 
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2022
    Heres what I would love for Ohana - Ed solo (just him and an acoustic) & Neil Young playing before him.   I feel like the crowd / energy last year was off from what it had been years before. 
    Post edited by PSUS2H on
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • matt84 said:
    I can see them headlining every year from now until they die. I think Ed finally realized how much more pull the full band has (which is the whole reason they added the Encore) and would rather double his money over two weekends with PJ than just play a couple of solo sets. Ohana Encore doesn't happen without PJ. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • But I can also see them moving Ohana to other locations in the future (and possibly this year) since they sent out a survey last year asking all kinds of questions like, "where do you live" "how far did you travel" "did you book a hotel" etc. But I don't know. Ohana in Oahu would be sweet, but probably much, much smaller. Same goes for them doing it at some resort in Mexico, Spain, or wherever. But I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got Ohana Florida, Ohana Atlantic City, Ohana Galveston, etc. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    matt84 said:
    I can see them headlining every year from now until they die. I think Ed finally realized how much more pull the full band has (which is the whole reason they added the Encore) and would rather double his money over two weekends with PJ than just play a couple of solo sets. Ohana Encore doesn't happen without PJ. 
    Encore was clearly added to give the band a chance to play a couple more shows easily during the pandemic. It is almost impossible to see Pearl Jam playing more shows in the Southern California area in 2022 (much less 3 more) and if they were by some chance announced, they will certainly not be automatic sell outs. As much as it's great to have the band playing in LA, Ed would be much better off getting fresher headliners.
  • huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 888
    edited April 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Encore was clearly added to give the band a chance to play a couple more shows easily during the pandemic. It is almost impossible to see Pearl Jam playing more shows in the Southern California area in 2022 (much less 3 more) and if they were by some chance announced, they will certainly not be automatic sell outs. As much as it's great to have the band playing in LA, Ed would be much better off getting fresher headliners.

• Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Encore was added because the 1st weekend sold out so fast. I think some people don't understand that if PJ plays 3 shows in one city, there is a strong likelihood that many fans will go to all 3 shows. People on here talk about PJ doing a month long residency at Madison Square Garden like Billy Joel (who sold out every night) but can't seem to comprehend PJ selling out 10 shows in California (which has a larger population than all of Canada). 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Encore was added because the 1st weekend sold out so fast. I think some people don't understand that if PJ plays 3 shows in one city, there is a strong likelihood that many fans will go to all 3 shows. People on here talk about PJ doing a month long residency at Madison Square Garden like Billy Joel (who sold out every night) but can't seem to comprehend PJ selling out 10 shows in California (which has a larger population than all of Canada). 
    It didn’t sell out that fast.  Tickets for Ohana 21 were sold in March 20 for a few days before the shutdown, and then once again from about June 20 when they announced the 21 lineup straight through until it was reconfirmed in Spring 21. Most of the tickets were sold long before that reconfirmation.  Also, Encore did not sell out and people were giving away wristbands.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • matt84 said:
    i too can see this becoming their annual event. and as someone mentioned above, it is going to a larger venue I think after this year.  EV spoke on it last year at some point during the festival.  
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    I think the area around the Del Mar horse racing track was a place that was discussed as a possible home of OHANA if it was ever moved due to needing a bigger space. It might have just been fan speculation, I don’t remember where I read it. 
    I just hope they do an encore weekend. I really want to take my wife this year. Last year I went solo because she couldn’t get off of work and I know she would have loved it. If they just do the weekend of 9/30 and nothing else it is looking like we will have a family event happening that would keep us from going. 
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    edited April 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    That’s just not factually accurate as has already been pointed out. You could not give tickets away for free for the Encore weekend. Tickets were available everywhere including the box office. 

And as far as understanding fans will go to all 3 shows, I’ve seen one performer more than 250 times so I’m pretty sure I understand that concept.😀 But I also understand the economics of the concert industry. 

Finally, Billy Joel has not done a month long residency at MSG. He has been doing a residency for years now that is one show per month. He then also generally plays one additional show per month in a city outside NYC. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Ohana is already Ed's annual event. It becoming Pearl Jam's would require him to share. Remember how clear these last few weeks have proven that this is all a business. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    cant see Ohana moving anywhere unless the city did't want them anymore. The whole point of Ohana is not just the music but the location. It is sentimental to Ed and wouldn't be the same anywhere else. Maybe Del Mar, but certainly not out of So Cal IMO.
  • AngryGregAngryGreg Posts: 70
    DEGBTI said:
    cant see Ohana moving anywhere unless the city did't want them anymore. The whole point of Ohana is not just the music but the location. It is sentimental to Ed and wouldn't be the same anywhere else. Maybe Del Mar, but certainly not out of So Cal IMO.

It would bum me out if it moved. A big part of the appeal is that it's small. I like to get a spot in the back and just chill out all day, enjoying some good music and the beach air. If it moved off the beach it wouldn't be the same.
    DEGBTI said:
    The location is great. Last year I got up Saturday morning and walked around the Strands Beach and Headlands areas. 
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    I just hope they do an encore weekend. I really want to take my wife this year. Last year I went solo because she couldn’t get off of work and I know she would have loved it. If they just do the weekend of 9/30 and nothing else it is looking like we will have a family event happening that would keep us from going. 
    couldn't agree more. i never miss this festival and stinks they had to shift weekends (yes i get PJ is in Denver). Encore would at least give me a chance to get down to Doheny again
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • DEGBTI said:
    ed said it was moving during one of the 5 shows i saw him on stage last year. i forget which show, and exactly what was said.  but something about outgrowing the current venue and moving to a larger venue.  i wouldnt think outside of so cal, but I'm almost positive it is moving. and that sucks.  I actually turned to the perfect stranger i was smoking a doob with when i heard the news and said, well sucks, i wont be doing ohana anymore.  
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    edited April 2022
    I know the Europe tour was cancelled but I’ve heard there’s talk of a US tour later this year, so perhaps Bruce and E Street could be a contender. Still think with the classic RHCP line-up being back together, they could be very likely.
    Post edited by matt84 on

ed said it was moving during one of the 5 shows i saw him on stage last year. i forget which show, and exactly what was said.  but something about outgrowing the current venue and moving to a larger venue.  i wouldnt think outside of so cal, but I'm almost positive it is moving. and that sucks.  I actually turned to the perfect stranger i was smoking a doob with when i heard the news and said, well sucks, i wont be doing ohana anymore.  

well, If he did, I too was there all 5 days, it wont be this year thankfully!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Dave and Tim? 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    demetrios said:
    nice!!! Oh, and it is in Dana Point, just sayin
    I am at work, so a bunch of stuff gets filtered out. Can I get a synopsis of what D posted?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I am at work, so a bunch of stuff gets filtered out. Can I get a synopsis of what D posted?

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,452
    I wonder if the RHCP will be there
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    PJNB said:

Thanks, hopefully the announcement is soon. I am still holding out hope for an encore weekend for potentially scheduling reasons. That announcement, if it even happens, wouldn't be for a while anyway.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,938
    If you sandwich some of the letters together they spell 'PEARL'. Is this a hidden clue?!?! :lol::lol::lol: